Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carl Edwards just retired

Started by holeinthewall, January 10, 2017, 10:16:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

holeinthewall

berryhog

riccoar

DeWayne R

When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

10thPlanet

Quote from: DeWayne R on January 10, 2017, 12:16:14 pm
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I don't know when will find out the truth, but something is up. Edwards is in a good car in his prime. Regardless the sport is really changing fast. Maybe he owns enough Subway's now to kick back. I say he comes back.

Racinray

The latest rumor I heard was he will be a owner/driver for Dodge next year.

hawginbigd1

Did it not seem he was never comfortable at Gibbs? It just always seemed off to me.

Buff

Racinray

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 10, 2017, 06:22:00 pm
Did it not seem he was never comfortable at Gibbs? It just always seemed off to me.
He always seemed like the odd man out.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Racinray on January 10, 2017, 04:30:45 pm
The latest rumor I heard was he will be a owner/driver for Dodge next year.

That was one writer I read that article. He was shooting for the stars with that article.  If anything he is headed back to Ford or not at all. I could see him walking away. He still lives in Columbia. He keeps to himself. He doesn't need the money and if he did he could get into the TV broadcast very easily.

I think the only reason he went to Gibbs is because he thought he could win a championship there.  Jack has to be getting tot he point of hanging it up as an owner maybe he is going to be a driver/owner.

The one thing and even Gordon said it this year is once you get out fo the car you may be a great driver still but you have lost that connection and the feel for the newest things being done to the cars.

holeinthewall

Based on his comments today it sounds like he is scared of ending up like JR or these football players you see dying at 55 from brain trauma. I was a big Carl fan when he was driving a Ford. I think he made a smart personnel decision to step back and enjoy his family.

I guess I don't have the drive as some of these drivers but I would rather be on the lake all summer skiing or in my pool than flying around the country to race cars if I could afford to do that. Would prefer to be traveling to ball games all fall to see my teams play

ImHogginIt

He will be a natural on the TV broadcasts if he goes that direction. He mentioned the racing schedule is a grind. I bet it is. Way too many race weekends plus all their sponsor obligations.

riccoar

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 11, 2017, 05:19:16 pm
He will be a natural on the TV broadcasts if he goes that direction. He mentioned the racing schedule is a grind. I bet it is. Way too many race weekends plus all their sponsor obligations.
Which is crazy because it's not near as bad as it use to be.  Monday was typically their only day off during the season.  Now they don't hardly do any testing and have compacted the weekend schedules.

10thPlanet

I guess the fire is gone. It happens. As far as safety, the cars and walls are safer now than ever. Just like football, well except for smaller shoulder pads and pads in pants, helmets are fantastic today in both sports. Hans device, the most bad arse custom seats on the planet. He lost his passion for driving. He will stay in the business making money some how.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: 10thPlanet on January 14, 2017, 03:15:48 pm
I guess the fire is gone. It happens. As far as safety, the cars and walls are safer now than ever. Just like football, well except for smaller shoulder pads and pads in pants, helmets are fantastic today in both sports. Hans device, the most bad arse custom seats on the planet. He lost his passion for driving. He will stay in the business making money some how.

Best safety equipment in the world will not keep the brain from slamming into the skull when you hit a wall at 180 mph. Ask Junior. I believe watching how long it took Junior to recover played a big role in this. I'm still having problems from my concussion I had 8 months ago. Of course I'm about to be 53 so I imagine that ain't helping

str8volfan

as if he didnt have enough cash laying around already, lest you forget he is married to a doctor. He gone.

BigoBoys

Had a conversation Monday with a current NASCAR sponsor and a former sponsor of Edwards's car, has a signed wrecked hood in his office.  Says Suarez's dad bought paid Carl to leave. 

holeinthewall

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 07, 2017, 09:41:13 pm
Had a conversation Monday with a current NASCAR sponsor and a former sponsor of Edwards's car, has a signed wrecked hood in his office.  Says Suarez's dad bought paid Carl to leave.

If true he will be back in a car next year.   What does it take to pay a driver to leave when he is making over 15 million a year?  Even if he was going to take whatever the sponsor is with him Carl is the most marketable driver in NASCAR and I would think could easily replace sponsors.

BigoBoys

Don't know for sure, but maybe pay Carl what he was going to make from Gibbs, and then Gibbs to pays son less than Carl was to make. 

Buff

str8volfan

Quote from: Buff on February 09, 2017, 04:51:39 pm
Now watch Suarez be a bust.
he's not as advertised. He has underperformed compared to all the other people who have driven Gibbs stuff. Hell, Sam Hornish won two races in a Gibbs car as a fill in driver. And before all of the "but he won the championship", he won that darn by default and everyone knows it.

hawkhawg

If I was a driver or football player. I'd get that big contract and get out as fast as I could.

grayhawg

I think Edwards is like Jeff Gordon and both lost that hunger all competitors have to have.

holeinthewall

Report out today denied by Penske that Carl was paid 15 million to sit out this year and will be back in a Ford next year driving for Penske.

PintailKiller

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 11, 2017, 01:18:41 pm
Based on his comments today it sounds like he is scared of ending up like JR or these football players you see dying at 55 from brain trauma. I was a big Carl fan when he was driving a Ford. I think he made a smart personnel decision to step back and enjoy his family.

I guess I don't have the drive as some of these drivers but I would rather be on the lake all summer skiing or in my pool than flying around the country to race cars if I could afford to do that. Would prefer to be traveling to ball games all fall to see my teams play

His wife is a Dr that works with brain trauma.  Sounds like she had some input.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."