Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If season were to end Friday

Started by TebowHater, March 12, 2018, 06:03:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Quote from: TebowHater on March 12, 2018, 06:17:44 pm

I fully agree 3 of 4 years in NCAAT is decent and hopefully the new standard. I do question the meeting expectations piece, though. Would no advancements past the round of 32 in 7 years be meeting expectations? I am not saying to fire Mike or that we can do better, but I do think when we hired him the expectations were higher than that.

^^^^^
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hawgsalot

To be fair he's talking about production not talent.  You also have to say nobody thought Gafford would have any real immediate impact this year, who's to say those guys can't do the same thing next year.  Remember nobody to replace Kingsleychat

McKdaddy

Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2018, 08:59:02 pm
Underachieved by at least 2-3 games. Should've won or shared the SEC regular season title with this talent. Could've done so with the defensive surge we saw late in the season.

On the plus side, we were a lock for the NCAAT before the SECT and avoided the 8/9 seed. March matters again. I'm happy.

Rational post.  Would like to see an SEC title, which I believe Mike will achieve, but it's simply not an assumed item that will be accomplished like I once felt about UA basketball.

Thank goodness Mike has raised us up from where we were under Pel.  I can't help but wonder if we are at or near Mike's ceiling.

logic

Quote from: TebowHater on March 12, 2018, 06:03:25 pm
If we were to lose in the first round, how would you judge this season? I am not saying we will lose. I hope we don't.

But for the sake of discussion, and in advance of any emotional resonance attached (which would be inherent after the fact), what say you? Success? Let down? As expected?
Since the betting odds are so remarkably accurate, more likely than not (53.5% Butler wins), we lose in first round.  I'll be disappointed, but it is about as expected. 

We should be better; however, there is a reason other teams have so many open 3 point shots, out-rebound us and have a higher percentage free throws.  And, with the best guard combination and a first round NBA pick at center the reason is not that on average the other SEC teams have better talent.

I like coach Anderson.  However, he need to develop a more modern style of basketball.  He is still doing what worked in the 1980s and 1990s, but the rule changes makes that ineffective.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hobhog on March 13, 2018, 05:52:44 pm
Wow. If you can't see the talent and overall difference Gafford makes then you have zero cred. You act like two guys trying to replace one is no big deal.

He is a huge difference maker and draws tons of attention from opposing teams. We wouldnt have made the tournament without him and that's saying a lot for a true freshman.

So your saying his amazing, unbelievable talent that attract double teams can't be replaced....what exactly does that have to do with 12 pts 6 rbs????  NOTHING!!

It's production not ESPN highlights that will assist the Razorback's in 2018-19 season.   Next season will not go down in flames because Daniel may not be a part of it. 

Keep in mind your replacing Cook & Thomas with Chaney & Bailey as your PF starter's.  That leaves 6'9/ Henderson with his 38" vertical patrolling the middle.

And Jordan Phillips is going to be a problem!!!
6'7 running the point since 6'2. He (imo) is the next big thing!!

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hobhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 13, 2018, 06:47:45 pm
So your saying his amazing, unbelievable talent that attract double teams can't be replaced....what exactly does that have to do with 12 pts 6 rbs????  NOTHING!!

It's production not ESPN highlights that will assist the Razorback's in 2018-19 season.   Next season will not go down in flames because Daniel may not be a part of it. 

Keep in mind your replacing Cook & Thomas with Chaney & Bailey as your PF starter's.  That leaves 6'9/ Henderson with his 38" vertical patrolling the middle.

Sure hope you are right. You are making big assumptions about incoming freshmen and unproven players. Agree on cook and Thomas, but Gafford, Macon, Barford, and Beard will create a huge drop off. Thompson has his moments too.

Definitely a rebuilding year. Need to make hay this year IMO....

rude1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on March 13, 2018, 06:47:45 pm

Good points. Just brings back memories of how there was no way a green DG could replace the production MK gave us...........

logic

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 13, 2018, 06:07:33 pm
Thank goodness Mike has raised us up from where we were under Pel.  I can't help but wonder if we are at or near Mike's ceiling.
Mike has been here 7 years so obviously we have seen Mike's ceiling. That is, unless he hires a genius young assistant that implements a modern style of basketball and that is not what Mike is all about. However, apparently Mike's ceiling  of usually being in top half of the SEC and maybe winning one or two games in the NCAAT is good enough.

hobhog

Quote from: rude1 on March 13, 2018, 07:35:06 pm
Good points. Just brings back memories of how there was no way a green DG could replace the production MK gave us...........

Agreed. Who could have thought DG would be better than Moses immediately. But not sure you can expect that out of next years class. We have to replace ALOT.

ChicoHog

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 12, 2018, 07:01:31 pm
Sweet 16 for the first time in 22 years is only thing that people can agree on as measured success.

An Elite Eight would be fantastic.
Or a regular season conference title which would show consistent play throughout the year.  The NCAA tournament is a crap shoot and most of the time the best team(s) do not win.  Just have to be hot and get a little lucky.  But a regular season SEC conference title would show consistency and likely get us a 4 seed or better in the tournament which in turn give us a better chance to make round of 16.

East Clintwood

It wouldn't meet my expectations for Razorback basketball.

It would me my expectations for a CMA coached team.

Somewhere around the 40th best program/coach in the country.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

root_hawg

Senior guards, first round NBA pick at center ... sweet 16 or failure

HiggiePiggy

We are a 7 seed. So I expect at least the round of 32.  To me we have underachieved in the regular season, but making the tournament in back to back years is nice and hopefully we can make it 3 in a row next year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Slater

FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

hobhog

Quote from: Slater on March 14, 2018, 08:53:47 pm
You would advocate a coaching change?

Not happening. But if we dont dance next year.....

root_hawg

Not a coaching change because fans are happy with just being in the tourney, he is here till he dies or retires

Kevin

Quote from: Breems on March 13, 2018, 10:36:26 am
Correct. Program hasn't been this good in 2 decades.

Ye olde fans will never accept that which is fine.

the bar did not move down, those coaches were fired for their performance.

the bar now is so low for Anderson to keep his job at Arkansas, it is pathetic.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Kevin on March 15, 2018, 08:05:02 am
the bar did not move down, those coaches were fired for their performance.

the bar now is so low for Anderson to keep his job at Arkansas, it is pathetic.

The bar is not set by Hogville. We don't really know what the bar is by the powers that be on the Hill.
Hogs up! Covid down!

KlubhouseKonnected

The people who have been sharpening their knives all year will still be sharpening their knives. The people who think every loss is a screw job will think that they were denied by a screw job.

And people who understand and appreciate what trajectory over the course of years means to a program will say, "dam we could have gotten over, we need to keep at it."
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

UNCLE BACK

After Pelphrey, the bar was set so low for Mike that you could trip over it.  It is nice to be a team that nobody likes to see pop up on the schedule. I personally think Mike has underachieved when you look at the whole picture here at Arkansas. The only way it will get better is if Mike recruits his way out. This season is about what I thought it would be.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Slater on March 14, 2018, 08:53:47 pm
You would advocate a coaching change?

I would not (despite fcj's declarations that I'm a Mike hater).

jst01

What annoys me is the defense.  All the talk about lock down D, guarding when they exit the bus, tenacious, turnover machines, etc....and the weak part of our game was the defense this year.  Make defense the focus like you said you would do. 

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jst01 on March 15, 2018, 11:37:08 am
What annoys me is the defense.  All the talk about lock down D, guarding when they exit the bus, tenacious, turnover machines, etc....and the weak part of our game was the defense this year.  Make defense the focus like you said you would do.

True, the defense has not been great. I think most of that has to do with not recruiting a complete team of athletic, skilled players with length. In the past couple of years, the recruiting has picked up as to the kind of players we will need to play the type of defense that you and I want.

Thankfully, with our offense, we have still won a lot of games. Gonna need to pick it up defensively going forward though.
Hogs up! Covid down!

raz1965

Mike's recruiting is improving so how can one say he has reached the ceiling? Players win games an if the staff continue's on the current path of recruiting the Razorbacks are just now getting off the ground floor.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hoglady on March 13, 2018, 12:14:38 am
NCAA tourney is about placement by the committee.
Butler is a pretty tough 1st round draw for our seeding - plus they send us 13+ hours from campus and Butler fans have an easy 4 hour drive.

Reaching the Sweet Sixteen always involves a little luck.

We deserved to be in the Sweet Sixteen last year, we earned it and had it taken away by a crew of refs kissing NC's behind. I don't even look at that game as a loss by Anderson.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: arkansas1994 on March 12, 2018, 06:10:44 pm
I would say we underachieved
I totally agree. With the heavy experience we had this season and the very inconsistent play against teams such as LSU (twice), the blowout loss at home against KU, the bad loss against TAM and the loss against Mizzou at the very end of the season I honestly believe this team has in many ways underachieved. Yes, they've had some very good victories, however, this team never seemed to consistently have the "killer" instinct/approach that would have made this season even better. I fault MA to some degree for that. IMO he's often too relaxed and laid back and I think that sometimes impacts the players as well.