Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Statues

Started by redleg, March 18, 2015, 09:41:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigasaurus

Teddy Roosevelt gave a speech once that said "some of the statues honoring Civil War heroes were so bad as "to give a new fear to death."   ;-)
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Steef

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on March 24, 2015, 01:49:41 pm
We should get one for Houston Nutt if we can find the right pose to reflect his time at Arkansas.  :)

Caption: "Never Again"

Ive said many times, we should erect a statue of Teresa Pruitt (Prewet?).

Without her efforts, HDN could very well be our athletic director right now.

Senility

This is - - admittedly - - just one man's opinion.

To my way of thinking, statue allotment is not automatic.  It is not necessarily  commensurate with widespread publicity or fanatically devoted disciples.  Those who have generated well documented controversies may not meet the criteria of pervasive adulation implicit in the erection of a statue honoring them.

For yours truly, tipping a waitress is not automatic; it is a reward for good service.  The quality of my meal may have been excellent, but if the waitress didn't show her face again after plunking down the victuals, -- -- - ; guess what?  (You guessed it.)

Joe Paterno's statue at Penn State was removed in an embarrassed snit.  Not because his on field credentials didn't warrant the statue; you KNOW why.  There is no statue of Pete Rose on display anywhere that I'm aware of; not because he wasn't a great player whose statistics did not merit consideration for a place in the Baseball Hall Of Fame.  Again, - - - - I'm sure you all know why.

Not many statues are commissioned for those sports figures with asterisks or caveats after their names.