Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A slightly backhanded article on Bielema by SI writer, Colin Becht

Started by Pyotr Tchaikhogsky, March 17, 2015, 01:00:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Mac

Quote from: Hogdomer on March 17, 2015, 01:58:17 pm
I would have thought you are right, but I live in Dallas and wear Hog gear a lot.  Most football conversations I have, people tell me we are going to be really good and are a dangerous team but almost everyone throws in the caveat that they really don't like the coach.  Not just A&M and Texas fans, but Bama, Auburn, Baylor, etc. 

Maybe our perception of him as fans is way off the casual observer's?

How many fanbases outside Bama likes Saban or how many fans outside of S Carolina love the ole Ball Coach?

If your coach is well liked by opposing fanbases, usually means you suck and they enjoy being able to count your team as an automatic "w"
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Anybody

PorkSoda -  Are you serious?  Lane is only concerned about Lane and the $ HE makes.

Coach B. is concerned about his players, and his assistant coaches and how much THEY make.

Oh, and Lane is a real a_ _, while Coach B. is a quality coach that has his football program on the upswing.  I still have a smile on my face after the Texas victory.

GO HOGS !

Hog N Bama

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 17, 2015, 02:06:15 pm
With success comes haters.  Consider it a badge of honor.
Precisely right on! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Science Fiction Greg

This is simple.  Anyone that actually knows him loves him.  Anyone that dislikes him doesn't know him other than from hearing about him on a sports show and/or hearing a few sound bites.

(note, not saying this is 100% accurate, just a trend)
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Grizzlyfan

Many would prefer that Bielema spend his time talking about things he might know something about, like who's going to play linebacker for the Hogs.  Instead of things he knows nothing about, like injuries related to pace of play.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 18, 2015, 09:35:55 am
Many would prefer that Bielema spend his time talking about things he might know something about, like who's going to play linebacker for the Hogs.  Instead of things he knows nothing about, like injuries related to pace of play.

Have you conducted a poll to know this?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2015, 09:45:23 am
Have you conducted a poll to know this?
This better?

I would prefer that Bielema spend his time talking about things he might know something about, like who's going to play linebacker for the Hogs.  Instead of things he knows nothing about, like injuries related to pace of play.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 18, 2015, 09:50:46 am
This better?

I would prefer that Bielema spend his time talking about things he might know something about, like who's going to play linebacker for the Hogs.  Instead of things he knows nothing about, like injuries related to pace of play.

Yep, states your opinion, not some made up group.

Grizzlyfan

By the way this whole thing about hurry up teams playing 5 extra games a season is nothing but statistical hokum.  That is only true if you accept the historical rate of 60-70 plays per game by the offense is sacrosanct. 

Arkansas' offense led the SEC and 4th in the country in time of possession.  Auburn isn't in the top 50 in TOP.  Auburn runs a ton of plays QUICKLY and gets off the field.  So what's more dangerous to the offense?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2015, 09:53:56 am
Yep, states your opinion, not some made up group.
I would wager I'm not the only one however.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 18, 2015, 09:54:23 am
By the way this whole thing about hurry up teams playing 5 extra games a season is nothing but statistical hokum.  That is only true if you accept the historical rate of 60-70 plays per game by the offense is sacrosanct. 

Arkansas' offense led the SEC and 4th in the country in time of possession.  Auburn isn't in the top 50 in TOP.  Auburn runs a ton of plays QUICKLY and gets off the field.  So what's more dangerous to the offense?

I don't know, do 100 situps without stopping, then do 10 every 15 minutes and tell me which is harder. I don't think sitting in the huddle is as tiring as running a play.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2015, 10:58:35 am
I don't know, do 100 situps without stopping, then do 10 every 15 minutes and tell me which is harder. I don't think sitting in the huddle is as tiring as running a play.
Sitting on the bench is probably the safest place for the offense.  Which is apparently where a lot of hurry-up no huddle offenses spend most of their time.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 18, 2015, 11:51:56 am
Sitting on the bench is probably the safest place for the offense.  Which is apparently where a lot of hurry-up no huddle offenses spend most of their time.

Are you concerned with the offense, or the defense?

catfish07

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 18, 2015, 11:51:56 am

BB's point; that I do not agree with; is that the pace of NH does not allow subs leading to injury heightening fatigue.

A long time/play drive not NH allows for subs to enter freely thus reducing (not eliminating) injury heightening fatigue.

No science supports this but common sense does play a role.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 18, 2015, 11:55:35 am
Are you concerned with the offense, or the defense?
if the hurry up offense if off the field most of the time, the opposing defense is also off the field.  the opposing defense is the one that BB seemed to be saying was in the most danger.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 19, 2015, 11:33:55 am
if the hurry up offense if off the field most of the time, the opposing defense is also off the field.  the opposing defense is the one that BB seemed to be saying was in the most danger.

Correct, which is why he gives his defense as much rest as possible while he is on offense.

KluchHawg

It would be interesting to see how much football time is played by hurry up compared to normal play. Meaning the time of possession from snap to dead ball. Total time of possession can be misleading. I recall seeing somewhere before that actual football action in a game is a surprisingly small  percentage of the 60 minutes of play.

EastexHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 17, 2015, 04:17:04 pm
Give the kid a break, he is less than 2 years out of school, is still wet behind the ears and comes from a conference that isn't overly fond of Bielema to begin with, and for good reason.

I think you have a point.  Bielema was disliked in the Big 10 before coming to Arkansas.