Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A slightly backhanded article on Bielema by SI writer, Colin Becht

Started by Pyotr Tchaikhogsky, March 17, 2015, 01:00:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/03/17/bret-bielema-arkansas-razorbacks

QuoteOf course, there is a key distinction between speaking the truth and speaking his truth. That's the reason the Arkansas head coach became one of the most disliked figures in college football last offseason, even prompting SI.com to write a column chronicling Bielema's "fall from coaching grace."

Really, he was one of the most disliked figures in college football?  That seems like a slight exaggeration.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

Seebs

Nothing new or interesting in that article. Simply a time killer from a scribe aspiring to become average.

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

HawgTide

Colin Becht? Not a bad little high school writer, he may have a future after prom.

Hogdomer

Quote from: Pyotr Tchaikhogsky on March 17, 2015, 01:00:00 pm

Really, he was one of the most disliked figures in college football?  That seems like a slight exaggeration.

I would have thought you are right, but I live in Dallas and wear Hog gear a lot.  Most football conversations I have, people tell me we are going to be really good and are a dangerous team but almost everyone throws in the caveat that they really don't like the coach.  Not just A&M and Texas fans, but Bama, Auburn, Baylor, etc. 

Maybe our perception of him as fans is way off the casual observer's?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hogdomer on March 17, 2015, 01:58:17 pm
I would have thought you are right, but I live in Dallas and wear Hog gear a lot.  Most football conversations I have, people tell me we are going to be really good and are a dangerous team but almost everyone throws in the caveat that they really don't like the coach.  Not just A&M and Texas fans, but Bama, Auburn, Baylor, etc. 

With success comes haters.  Consider it a badge of honor.

ricepig

The vast majority of them only see what the big guy's write or show, they don't catch his PC's, listen to him at Razorback Club meetings, or catch him on local TV.

sowmonella

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 17, 2015, 02:06:15 pm

How many opposing fans like Saban, Meyers, Miles and Stoops?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkSoda

we won 2 conference games.  I'm not sure we can start claiming that badge of honor just yet.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 17, 2015, 03:02:10 pm
we won 2 conference games.  I'm not sure we can start claiming that badge of honor just yet.

He's having success.  With that comes haters.  The program is having success.  With that comes haters.  I think we can claim it any time.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 17, 2015, 03:03:09 pm
He's having success.  With that comes haters.  The program is having success.  With that comes haters.  I think we can claim it any time.
we have fired coaches with better records than him.  not hating, we are on the upswing for sure.  I'm just saying its a little premature to act like we are at the top of the foodchain.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 17, 2015, 03:07:40 pm
we have fired coaches with better records than him.  not hating, we are on the upswing for sure.  I'm just saying its a little premature to act like we are at the top of the foodchain.

Right, which is why I didn't.  I'm saying that he's achieving some success here.  When blanking out Ole Miss and LSU, and stomping TX he and the team are going to have some haters. 

twistitup

Our coach is not liked- neither are many of the good ones. Bielema's not looking for friends- just wins. Coaches are not judged by likability or Saban would be coaching in the Sunbelt.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 17, 2015, 03:11:17 pm
Right, which is why I didn't.  I'm saying that he's achieving some success here.  When blanking out Ole Miss and LSU, and stomping TX he and the team are going to have some haters. 
while I agree to a point, I don't think, in BB's case, it has as much to do with wins, as it has to do with him being outspoken.  anytime you put your opinion out on a public forum, its going to get criticized by someone.  Lane was the similar at Tennessee, in that he spoke his opinion openly and consequently pissed a lot of people off.

It just seems to be his way, so I've become accustomed to it even though I don't agree with everything he says.  on the plus side, he does a good job of getting people's attention on our program.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Paul

He may not be liked but he is respected by fans & supporters of his program and most importantly, his boss. My friends who are fans of other SEC schools respect him & don't wanna play us this year.  The writer of this article sounds like he may be the mouthpiece of someone with an ax to grind.

lumphog

Well.........I like him......fork them

hoghearted

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 17, 2015, 03:30:43 pm
while I agree to a point, I don't think, in BB's case, it has as much to do with wins, as it has to do with him being outspoken.  anytime you put your opinion out on a public forum, its going to get criticized by someone.  Lane was the similar at Tennessee, in that he spoke his opinion openly and consequently pissed a lot of people off.

It just seems to be his way, so I've become accustomed to it even though I don't agree with everything he says.  on the plus side, he does a good job of getting people's attention on our program.

This seems most plausible.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

code red

Absolute garbage....he obviously doesn't understand the state of the program after 2012 debacle....7-6 with that schedule and that team was a tremendous job....out defense will be fine...GO HOGS
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hawgzinbowlz

CBB : "I've probably enjoyed this two-year run as much as any time in my career just because it's something that you got your hands in," he says. "You're building it."

The opposition will never like our success.
CBB is building the foundation for long term success and his direct manner will be appreciated less and less, by very many others, as we start to enjoy more and more success.
I don't give a rip whether anyone outside Razorback Nations likes CBB or The Hogs.
As long as Coach Bielema continues moving our program in the direction we are headed, doesn't get us into trouble and wins...we have a keeper.
The players/recruits and their parents/guardians seem to really like and respect Coach Bielema, and our Staff. Keep the Jimmy's and the Joe's signing in February.
Looking forward to the season.

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

http://resume.medill.co/colinbecht/

Colin Becht
Education
Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
B.S. in Journalism, Minor in Political Science
3.658 GPA
Graduation in June 2013

Give the kid a break, he is less than 2 years out of school, is still wet behind the ears and comes from a conference that isn't overly fond of Bielema to begin with, and for good reason.

Grain of salt.
Go Hogs Go!

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hawg IQ

Really !  I would think most other teams fans don't like losing to lowly Arkansas !? example bama wins 14-13 instead of donkey stomping 52-0 two years in row, or instead of losing against likes of ol miss, lsu and kicking their butts instead.
  I can see how "other" folks wouldn't like a coach that coaches a team up instead of just junking out the program.  Of course certain folks would rather write about marquee teams that either cheating in recruiting or harboring a few thugs here and there to support them and help them win.
go hogs go !

Doug

Surprised that no one has even asked this yet...

Who the hell is Robert Shields Colin Becht?
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

ricepig

Quote from: Doug on March 17, 2015, 06:55:17 pm

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 17, 2015, 04:17:04 pm

Colin Becht
Education
3.658 GPA
Graduation in June 2013

Give the kid a break, he is less than 2 years out of school, is still wet behind the ears and comes from a conference that isn't overly fond of Bielema to begin with, and for good reason.

Grain of salt.

BallHog1

You are a bitter, bitter, scared little man. The idea of BB succeeding scares you to death doesn't it?

Doug

ricepig, you really missed my point here... I don't give two flips as to who this one bit slappy hack is... the question itself was never asked.

In pennance, your punishment is to go watch third graders attempt to read 1984 for the next 2 hours.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

PorkSoda

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 17, 2015, 07:11:07 pm
You are a bitter, bitter, scared little man. The idea of BB succeeding scares you to death doesn't it?

My measure of success is at least .500 in conference. 

I think we have a good shot at doing that this year.

last year showed improvement, but if you think 2 conference wins is the bar for success that BB is setting, you are likely mistaken.

Sourpuss

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 17, 2015, 07:11:07 pm
Most people get mad because Bielema aint a wet-nurse to these writers and other coaches!  I get mad at people that want Bielema to be a wet-nurse.  WE HIRED THE MAN TO COACH!  Not to make friend and not to pull the status kuo.  And dang sure NOT TO WET NURSE A BUCH OF sissy writiers that dont want to get it the hard way!

J. Holly Blasingame, II

ricepig

Quote from: Doug on March 17, 2015, 07:43:41 pm
ricepig, you really missed my point here... I don't give two flips as to who this one bit slappy hack is... the question itself was never asked.

In pennance, your punishment is to go watch third graders attempt to read 1984 for the next 2 hours.

No, you missed my point, Colin isn't afraid to tell us who he is.

PorkSoda

Farmer Hogget

Bret Beliema is an honest, up-front, no nonsense kinda guy.  What you see is what you get.  He is comfortable with himself and confident.  Most people don't like these character traits.  It's their problem, not his.

pondwater jack

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 17, 2015, 09:06:46 pm
lulz, wrong log in?
No.  JA that comes over, eats my food washes his clothes while I am working, and can't remember to log out.  LOL.  I just read every email he has though.  Is that wrong?

J. Holly
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

PorkSoda

Quote from: pondwater jack on March 17, 2015, 09:24:06 pm
No.  JA that can't comes over, eats my food washes his clothes while I am working, and can't remember to log out.  LOL.  I just read every email he has though.  Is that wrong?

J. Holly

and you didn't send any emails on his behalf?

hawkhawg

I heard Isaiah Thomas say once that if other teams like you than you are not relevant.

mhuff

Fort Dweller

Quote from: pondwater jack on March 17, 2015, 09:24:06 pm
No.  JA that comes over, eats my food washes his clothes while I am working, and can't remember to log out.  LOL.  I just read every email he has though.  Is that wrong?

J. Holly

There's a logging in/out and wife joke here somewhere.  I just can't figure out how to do it tactfully.  Any takers?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

pondwater jack

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 17, 2015, 09:28:47 pm
and you didn't send any emails on his behalf?
no. I should have ginned up a mess and told off lanny and Doug with his account.  His name should be Sponge.  Tight as an 8 string banjo.  No sense of humor. Better than me. And you if you ask him. 

J holly. 
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...

tusksincolorado

Right! Everyone loves Nick Saban!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

pondwater jack

Quote from: Fort Dweller on March 17, 2015, 09:40:45 pm
There's a logging in/out and wife joke here somewhere.  I just can't figure out how to do it tactfully.  Any takers?
neither one married. Right now. I'm divorced and he couldn't close the deal.  Probly bought her a cubic zirconia. His tight @$$ wouldn't pay a nickel to see a Piss ant eat a bale of hay.  If you press him he'll admit as much.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: pondwater jack on March 17, 2015, 09:44:55 pm
neither one married. Right now. I'm divorced and he couldn't close the deal.  Probly bought her a cubic zirconia. His tight @$$ wouldn't pay a nickel to see a Piss ant eat a bale of hay.  If you press him he'll admit as much.

I always took him for a topaz brooch type man.  Shows what I know.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

TeedupHigh

Just stop being a fan! PLEASE

dhizzle

Reporters don't won't "coach" talk. They get the truth from BB and they think he is a jerk. Can't win sometimes.

azhog10

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 17, 2015, 04:17:04 pm

Colin Becht
Education
3.658 GPA
Graduation in June 2013

Grain of salt.
Give him a break for what? If you are still wet behind the ears you don't come out and speak for "everyone" in college football.

LZH

How many guys on here were BB fans when he was at Wisconsin?.............Answer: Not many.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: LZH on March 17, 2015, 10:30:50 pm
How many guys on here were BB fans when he was at Wisconsin?.............Answer: Not many.

I didn't really have any opinions of him at all.

Hawgzinbowlz

I liked him more after watching Bo's face in the B1G Championship game.

" GO HOGS "

hogginbama

Quote from: Paul on March 17, 2015, 03:32:54 pm
He may not be liked but he is respected by fans & supporters of his program and most importantly, his boss. My friends who are fans of other SEC schools respect him & don't wanna play us this year.  The writer of this article sounds like he may be the mouthpiece of someone with an ax to grind.

Wonder if the writer has any connections to Wisconsin? They are still butt-hurt over him up there.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

jkstock04

I remember when he made the (paraphrased) 'we don't recruit like that in the Big 10' comment referring to something Urban Meyer did recruiting wise while at Florida. LOL Hogville was all over him on that one.

Bielema took a lot of heat last offseason talking trash about the hurry up offenses and the "death certificate" comment. I'm happy he hasn't made any waves like that this offseason.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Doug on March 17, 2015, 06:55:17 pm

I was scrolling down feverishly in hopes that someone hadn't beaten me to it. Like you, I'm surprised it took so long.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 17, 2015, 03:02:10 pm

Fans from other schools see Arkansas and Bielema having success on the field and in recruiting.  They know Arkansas is on the rise and see the Hogs as a threat.