Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greg Sankey new SEC Commissioner

Started by rhog1, March 12, 2015, 02:26:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

Just saw on the sec network. He will replace Mike Slive.
Here is an article I found on him from 2014.
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/10/birminghams_greg_sankey_leadin.html

MrKnowItAll

http://www.secsports.com/article/12468888/sankey-named-commissioner-sec

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (March 12, 2015) - Greg Sankey has been named the eighth commissioner of the Southeastern Conference by the presidents and chancellors of the SEC, it was announced Thursday by Nick Zeppos, chancellor of Vanderbilt University and president of the SEC presidents and chancellors.

Greg Sankey, in his 13th year as a member of the Southeastern Conference staff, has served as Executive Associate Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer for the league office since 2012. Sankey will succeed Mike Slive who has served as SEC commissioner since 2002 and who announced last October that he will retire effective July 31, 2015.

"The institutions of the Southeastern Conference searched for a commissioner who would carry forward the momentum of success enjoyed by the SEC over the last decade while also possessing a vision for change in the modern era of college athletics," said Zeppos. "Greg Sankey's experience with our institutions, his respect on the national landscape, his understanding of the balance of athletics and academics, and his passion for the welfare of student-athletes make him the perfect leader for the SEC."

Dr. David Gearhart, Chancellor of the University of Arkansas, served as chairman of a search committee that also consisted of Dr. Judy Bonner, President of the University of Alabama; Dr. Eli Capilouto, President of the University of Kentucky; Dr. Mark Keenum, President of Mississippi State University; and Dr. Bowen Loftin, Chancellor of the University of Missouri.

"Greg possesses all of the traits we were searching for in the next commissioner of the SEC," said Gearhart. "He has shown tremendous leadership in his existing role in the conference office and he exudes a passion for the student-athlete that is critical for the new era of college athletics that we have entered. He is the right person to lead the SEC at an important time in our history."

go hogues

"Dr. David Gearhart, Chancellor of the University of Arkansas, served as chairman of a search committee..."

If our athletic program can become as successful as its' leaders, we will be elite.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

Damn Titans wasted another draft pick.
[CENSORED]!

Razorback_Mack

Maybe he's got the cods to adress the high school level officiating

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: go hogues on March 12, 2015, 04:49:41 pm
"Dr. David Gearhart, Chancellor of the University of Arkansas, served as chairman of a search committee..."

If When our athletic program becomes as successful as its' leaders, we will be elite.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hawghiggs

Think he should focus on expansion. We really need two more programs to balance out the conference.

hoghiker

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 14, 2015, 08:22:15 am
Think he should focus on expansion. We really need two more programs to balance out the conference.
I don't get the need to focus on expansion. Conferences need to develop some identity. SEC has it. Not sure it needs to be diluted.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hoghiker on March 14, 2015, 11:57:54 am
I don't get the need to focus on expansion. Conferences need to develop some identity. SEC has it. Not sure it needs to be diluted.
For one it would balance the schedule. Another would be to add additional media markets and expand the reach of the SEC network. Adding a program like Kansas would greatly improve the SEC's perception when it comes to the round ball.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 14, 2015, 01:52:26 pm
  For one it would balance the schedule. Another would be to add additional media markets and expand the reach of the SEC network. Adding a program like Kansas would greatly improve the SEC's perception when it comes to the round ball.

The SEC will eventually expand to at least 16.
The expansion will be east and most likely targets are NCST and VT.
Dream expansion candidates will be NC and UV.

Just as in the latest round of expansion, the next round of expansion will be to expand the SEC footprint.

The SEC will also keep footprint in the South, OU and Texass are the only two programs outside of a program from North Carolina and Virginia that would be considered.
Good is the enemy of great

Hawghiggs

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 15, 2015, 10:19:51 am
The SEC will eventually expand to at least 16.
The expansion will be east and most likely targets are NCST and VT.
Dream expansion candidates will be NC and UV.

Just as in the latest round of expansion, the next round of expansion will be to expand the SEC footprint.

The SEC will also keep footprint in the South, OU and Texass are the only two programs outside of a program from North Carolina and Virginia that would be considered.
You can forget about any team in the ACC. They ain't coming. The ACC has a GOR and a 50 million dollar buy out. Plus the ACC and ESPN are currently working on the ACC network.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 14, 2015, 01:52:26 pm

When will people learn that expansion never was and never will be about basketball..................Good grief.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 15, 2015, 11:24:27 am
You can forget about any team in the ACC. They ain't coming. The ACC has a GOR and a 50 million dollar buy out. Plus the ACC and ESPN are currently working on the ACC network.

Maryland says Hi...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 15, 2015, 09:03:16 pm
When will people learn that expansion never was and never will be about basketball………………Good grief.
Your right, its about television content now. Kansas is a huge draw during basketball season and a good filler during football.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 15, 2015, 09:04:55 pm
Maryland says Hi………………………….
Not many Universities have underarmor floating the bill. Maryland still had to pay 31 million to get out of the ACC. 

Inhogswetrust

March 16, 2015, 08:38:35 am #16 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:03:47 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 15, 2015, 09:25:15 pm
Not many Universities have underarmor floating the bill. Maryland still had to pay 31 million to get out of the ACC. 

And $31 million STILL did not stop them from leaving. Who said Underarmor footed that bill? All big schools have someone like Underarmour. We have Nike for example. Is it expensive to leave then yes but it is not impossible when you extrapolate any cost to do so over time. It would only take 10 years to recoup $50 million IF in a new league you got 5 million a year more........................In todays athletic world of big time sports $50 million is not even one years budget for a lot of schools...............

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 15, 2015, 09:19:17 pm
Your right, its about television content now. Kansas is a huge draw during basketball season and a good filler during football.

TV networks don't want football fillers. They want those that will draw ratings and thus money via broadcasts. Football foots the bill for almost all sports at almost all schools. I will admit Kansas is one of the basketball exceptions though.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: go hogues on March 12, 2015, 04:49:41 pm

If our athletic program can become as successful as its' leaders, we will be elite.

If anyone believes our current success over-all as an Athletic Department is not due to the hiring of Jeff Long it would have to be due to an overactive frontal cortex... IOW They be lyin to theyselves...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2015, 08:38:35 am
And $31 million STILL did not stop them from leaving. Who said Underarmor footed that bill? All big schools have someone like Underarmour. We have Nike for example. Is it expensive to leave then yes but it is not impossible when you extrapolate any cost to do so over time. It would only take 10 years to recoup $50 million IF in a new league you got 5 million a year more……………………In todays athletic world of big time sports $50 million is not even one years budget for a lot of schools……………
Underarmour to Maryland is like Nike to Oregon.  This is what I mean about having someone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Plank  Your are correct about money over the long haul.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 16, 2015, 09:06:37 am
TV networks don't want football fillers. They want those that will draw ratings and thus money via broadcasts. Football foots the bill for almost all sports at almost all schools. I will admit Kansas is one of the basketball exceptions though.
Kansas also has a tier 3 rights contract with ESPN already. It really wouldn't be such a stretch for them to be able to switch conferences.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hoghiker on March 14, 2015, 11:57:54 am

Seriously... with A&M just being added the SEC just added enough households that probably, is greater than all the other SEC states combined.............   You'd have to add something in California to make it better...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

BearsBisonsBoars

Ugh. No more expansion. The money is great for sure. But that Texass school and that yankee school already don't fit our culture, and I don't see anyone else out there who does either. I feel like it cheapens the brand.

From strictly a fan's perspective, I'd rather keep the SEC product as pure as possible.

But I understand why it makes sense from a business perspective.

*edit - I really want to stress that I understand and even agree with bringing A&M and Mizzou in. No criticism to Com. Slive. It made great business sense.

HotlantaHog

Not sure more expansion makes sense from a risk-reward situation. There are not many ``game changers'' out there who would really change the league positively, and they are likely not available without changing the business model in a way that SEC schools aren't going to do.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 16, 2015, 03:36:03 pm
Ugh. No more expansion. The money is great for sure. But that Texass school and that yankee school already don't fit our culture, and I don't see anyone else out there who does either. I feel like it cheapens the brand.

From strictly a fan's perspective, I'd rather keep the SEC product as pure as possible.

*edit - I really want to stress that I understand and even agree with bringing A&M and Mizzou in. No criticism to Com. Slive. It made great business sense.
We almost have to. The SEC can't let the Big10 just cherry pick all the best programs.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 17, 2015, 06:34:58 am
We almost have to. The SEC can't let the Big10 just cherry pick all the best programs.
Which is why it makes good business sense.

I just wish that it didn't.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 16, 2015, 02:33:42 pm

Kansas also has a tier 3 rights contract with ESPN already. It really wouldn't be such a stretch for them to be able to switch conferences.

Sure it would be a stretch............at least for the SEC. There are reasons they are still in the little 12. If you think they are wanted by other P5 conferences then tell us which ones.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 16, 2015, 02:30:09 pm
Underarmour to Maryland is like Nike to Oregon.  This is what I mean about having someone. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Plank  Your are correct about money over the long haul.

So just because Underarmour has a tie to Maryland then you think it is the only thing that helps them? ALL schools have one, two or a few huge benefactors or group of.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 16, 2015, 03:36:03 pm

Yep Florida is not like the others in the SEC..................

As far as pure is concerned there is not a whole lot about sports above the Pee Wee level that is perfectly pure.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 17, 2015, 06:34:58 am

You mean like Rutgers and Maryland...................Good grief.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2015, 11:09:15 am
You mean like Rutgers and Maryland……………….Good grief.
I never understood the Maryland to the Big 10.  The Big 10 messed up by not grabbing Missouri when it had the chance. I just hope that the SEC doesn't do the Big10 a favor and let them get their hands on one of the top traditional basketball programs in the nation. IMHO The Jayhawks would be one of the best additions that the SEC could make.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2015, 11:01:53 am
Sure it would be a stretch............at least for the SEC. There are reasons they are still in the little 12. If you think they are wanted by other P5 conferences then tell us which ones.
The Big 10 for one. Kansas is an AAU member, a top basketball program, and a bridge to Oklahoma. It really wouldn't be a stretch for the SEC anymore. Not with Mizzou being in the SEC.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 17, 2015, 12:41:41 pm
The Big 10 for one. Kansas is an AAU member, a top basketball program, and a bridge to Oklahoma. It really wouldn't be a stretch for the SEC anymore. Not with Mizzou being in the SEC.

IF you want to discuss expansion in a meaningful way then quit bringing up basketball....................

Expansion is NOT about basketball.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawghiggs on March 17, 2015, 12:38:27 pm
I never understood the Maryland to the Big 10.  The Big 10 messed up by not grabbing Missouri when it had the chance. I just hope that the SEC doesn't do the Big10 a favor and let them get their hands on one of the top traditional basketball programs in the nation. IMHO The Jayhawks would be one of the best additions that the SEC could make.

SO you said the SEC can't let the Big10 "cherry pick" the best programs YET the SEC didn't bat an eye when they got Nebraska and Ped State. They probably laughed at the SEC offices when they got Rutgers and Maryland. YET you think getting Kansas would be a good addition to the SEC....................Come on man. I think Kansas admins would do naked cartwheels to bolt for the SEC BUT the SEC would have other options they would prefer MUCH more than them. I can think of about six programs the SEC would want over Kansas.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2015, 03:58:35 pm
IF you want to discuss expansion in a meaningful way then quit bringing up basketball………………..

Expansion is NOT about basketball.
Your right. Its about television sets and monthly subscription rates.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 17, 2015, 04:05:35 pm
SO you said the SEC can't let the Big10 "cherry pick" the best programs YET the SEC didn't bat an eye when they got Nebraska and Ped State. They probably laughed at the SEC offices when they got Rutgers and Maryland. YET you think getting Kansas would be a good addition to the SEC………………..Come on man. I think Kansas admins would do naked cartwheels to bolt for the SEC BUT the SEC would have other options they would prefer MUCH more than them. I can think of about six programs the SEC would want over Kansas.
That's not exactly true. When the Big 10 lured Nebraska the SEC went after Mizzou and A&M. And when it comes to preference. There are many programs that would fit the bill better. But their are few programs in the P5 that willing to leave their current situation. The ACC, Big 10, and PAC 12 are all stable conferences with good bowl games and either with or will soon have their own cable networks. The Big 12 on the other hand is a very unstable conference that will soon be falling behind financially compared to the rest of the P5.

hoghiker

I'll concede that expansion is probably as inevitable as dog days in August but I'm not convinced its good for college sports.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hoghiker on March 18, 2015, 06:20:51 am
I'll concede that expansion is probably as inevitable as dog days in August but I'm not convinced its good for college sports.
I agree with you. You should have to play everyone in you conference each year. But that ship has sailed. We now live in an age where every conference has to have a television network and the players want to get paid for their efforts and likeness. The Presidents, Athletic Directors, and ESPN have turned collegiate sports into semi-pro teams. But it is what it is and nobody is shutting the lid to Pandora's box.