Started by billymac, March 10, 2015, 01:40:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogarusa

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 14, 2015, 11:33:50 am

Fans are weird in general. All of us.

Yes, that alone is a good explanation to any hogville thought and opinion
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

gmarv

I hope he does great.one of the greatest hogs ever needs to go out with a bang.

708 rules

Can't stand jerry jones and I hate the cowboys. Good luck to dmack though!!

Hogarusa

Quote from: Soooie21 on March 14, 2015, 02:12:56 am
He is going to love running thru holes like this.

Hopefully he wont fumble like Demarco did on that play
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

bennyl08

It depends on how you define "fan". I have perpetual fandom to the Seahawks, Packers, and Rams for geographic and memories growing up reasons. Other teams I am conditional fans of, such as the Redskins when they had Cambell, Portis, and Randel El and the Ravens of the recent past. You change those teams and my fandom my change.

Regardless, the fandom there pales in comparison to my fandom for the hogs.

As for how you can dislike the cowboys when Jones donates money to the hawgs, that's like saying you can't be a fan of art and not also be a fan of Wal-Mart because the Waltons have the museum in Arkansas.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on March 14, 2015, 06:57:44 pm
I agree with this.  A great line can make an average RB look great.  I'm not saying there aren't exceptional running backs, but in the NFL it's as much about having the durability to stay healthy and having holes blocked for you as anything else.  If they can make the same holes for DMAC as they did for Murray, he'll look like a different RB.  If...he can stay healthy.   
Exactly, seems a bit too coincidental that when these young studs that comprise the Dallas OL gel as a unit, and Romo's back is hurt requiring two operations that suddenly DeMarco Murray becomes this world class running back. Year before last if you had asked ANYONE on this board to name the top 10 RB's in the NFL not a 'swinging pkker' would have listed DeMarco Murray in their top 10. Now the question is, does the OL make the RB or vice versa. Ask ANY former running back and they will tell you it's the OL that makes the RB.  Oh, the toter of the football has to have some talent, but that's not where the most important action takes place.

DeMarco and Darren are two different types of backs. When Murray see's contact he will run over the DB, when Darren see's contact he tries to give a little shake and tries to get by him. Finally, I can remember 20 yard run after 20 yard run where DeMarco got caught from behind. If McFadden is truly healthy, he'll house some of those runs for a TD and if not he'll get 10 to 15 more yards on sheer speed alone.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

dmaxfan

You guys do realize that while Arkansas had the biggest line in football, the raiders had the 2nd biggest. While the raiders line was bad, it's not really size that makes you good.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Dr. Starcs

^^^

They also have had virtually no passing game, which as you know makes it even more difficult to run against 8 man fronts all game long.

jgphillips3

I was born into a family of Cowboy fans but the team I loved was the Steelers.  I was a Steeler fan before I was a Razorback fan mainly because I was about 5 and I could watch the Steelers on TV but didn't get to go to the Razorback games with my Dad and older brother for a couple more years and we weren't on TV as much back in those early mid-70's.  I actually despised the Cowboys until they fired Landry, who I couldn't stand, when JJ & JJ took over.  I became a fan then and I am very thankful we have an Arkansas alum in that position.

k.c.hawg

March 16, 2015, 08:47:14 am #209 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:26:34 am by k.c.hawg
I'm lmao reading some of these posts about doing the right thing and sitting him out a year to get healthy. Are you serious!!!??? In this league you shoot injured guys up, to go play. This isn't pop warner!!! You think they sign almost washed up running backs to pay them while they sit out a year?? WTH?? Everything in this league is about winning now. In this league the priority is getting rid of guys a year too early, not a year too late.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

DLUXHOG

relax everyone.... McFadden will be fine and perform excellently in Dallas.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pork Twain

I have never understood why people are so quick to label a good player on a bad team as a bust.  I do realize that he has had injury issues, but come on people, we are talking about Oakland.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hog in Iowa on March 13, 2015, 12:09:47 pm
Too bad he didn't go to Dallas as a rookie instead of to Oakland.  I remember cringing when he was selected.

Yeah.. I remember clapping and saying "yay!!", while having to fight that pre :puke: slobber in the back of my throat...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 16, 2015, 10:58:36 am
I have never understood why people are so quick to label a good player on a bad team as a bust. 

There seem to be few things in sports that the media and fans love to do more than label people "BUST!".

Not sure why that is.  Maybe tearing people above them/better than them makes them feel better about themselves.  Or maybe people just love tearing people down.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: flagstaffhog on March 13, 2015, 10:22:17 pm
I just hope DMAC can still hit those holes and then accelerate like he used to...

If he can look for possibly another two year gig...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Pork Twain

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 16, 2015, 11:20:22 am
There seem to be few things in sports that the media and fans love to do more than label people "BUST!".

Not sure why that is.  Maybe tearing people above them/better than them makes them feel better about themselves.  Or maybe people just love tearing people down.
Sadly, I think it is a combo of those two.  I hope Dmac can stay healthy on a team with a legit passing attack and an OL that can open holes.  I am not super confident that he can anymore.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 16, 2015, 12:09:55 pm
Sadly, I think it is a combo of those two.  I hope Dmac can stay healthy on a team with a legit passing attack and an OL that can open holes.  I am not super confident that he can anymore.

Not super confident either, but I've got a good feeling about this.

Perhaps it's just my desire to see DMac for at least one great year in the league.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HiggiePiggy

He has been a bust because he was a top 10 pick and hasn't done anything, but ride a bench every year.  It's like people calling Bradford a bust.  He is a bust so far because he can't stay on the field.  You are a first round pick and don't produce then you will be labeled a bust and it does not matter what team you are on. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawganatic

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 13, 2015, 11:59:43 am
You can't stand the franchise that donates multi millions to the U of A? I've never understood that train of thought. It's like saying you don't like one of our biggest boosters.

And???  The Waltons donate a lot to the program, but that doesn't mean I have to like shopping at Wal Mart. 

alohawg

I as much as any other fan want Mcfadden to prove his critics wrong in a big way this year, however, after seeing him this past season I'm not very confident he will. It seemed more often than not last year that he went down way too easy and showed little patience or vision and lacked the burst of old. That said, I would love to see him re-energized and have a record breaking year for my team.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

DLUXHOG

Quote from: alohawg on March 16, 2015, 02:48:28 pm
I as much as any other fan want Mcfadden to prove his critics wrong in a big way this year, however, after seeing him this past season I'm not very confident he will. It seemed more often than not last year that he went down way too easy and showed little patience or vision and lacked the burst of old. That said, I would love to see him re-energized and have a record breaking year for my team.

be a negative nancy... that's okay, honestly the world needs them.... but for the rest of you...  have HOPE!    No one or anything is beyond HOPE!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: alohawg on March 16, 2015, 02:48:28 pm
I would love to see him re-energized .........

That sums it up for me.

alohawg

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 16, 2015, 02:52:36 pm
be a negative nancy... that's okay, honestly the world needs them.... but for the rest of you...  have HOPE!    No one or anything is beyond HOPE!

No sugar coating here mister.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Großer Kriegschwein

He'll be fine. He's still big and fast. That hasn't changed. There will be plenty of time for him to have space to get up to speed and initiate contact past the LOS. I'm just curious how well he pushes into contact and how many long runs he breaks off
This is my non-signature signature.

PIGINAPOKE

Nutt ruined both him and Felix.. Old wood
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PIGINAPOKE on March 16, 2015, 08:26:37 pm
Nutt ruined both him and Felix.. Old wood

Really?  Both were first round picks.  I wouldn't say Nutt ruined them.  I don't like Nutt, but you can't really blame their failures of the nfl on Nutt. 

1highhog

Quote from: Hogarusa on March 14, 2015, 11:23:16 am
That's sort of a weird thought process that you should like someone or the team they own because they donate money your favorite college. 

I'd like to know from some fans how they chose their NFL, NBA team to root for, maybe better for another thread, but I've always wondered the thought process that went into many of our Hogfan breathren having such a wide and diverse fan base to Pro teams all across the Country.  I also forgot about MLB.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: 1highhog on March 17, 2015, 05:46:28 am
I'd like to know from some fans how they chose their NFL, NBA team to root for, maybe better for another thread, but I've always wondered the thought process that went into many of our Hogfan breathren having such a wide and diverse fan base to Pro teams all across the Country.  I also forgot about MLB.
Dallas is a mere 2.5 hour drive away....grew up a 'Boys fan and have rooted for them through the good times and bad, almost as much as I do the Hogs...I said almost, now
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

al2305

Now if only JJ would resign Felix and go get Peyton. 

k.c.hawg

Moved to KC in 93 and have been a season ticket holder for the Chiefs since.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Ex-Trumpet

Let's be real here...DMac was signed for cheap ($200k signing bonus), hoping for a miracle (Jerry Jones is a Hog fan, after all).  But, Cowboys signed Ryan Williams--their practice squad RB--for $240k signing bonus in January.

DMac will struggle just to make the team.  Randle and Dunbar are both better at this point and will be on the team this fall...unless Randle does something stupid again.

Here's to DMac making the team--and succeeding; but, it is a very tough row to hoe at this point.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

1highhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 17, 2015, 05:50:46 am
Dallas is a mere 2.5 hour drive away....grew up a 'Boys fan and have rooted for them through the good times and bad, almost as much as I do the Hogs...I said almost, now

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 17, 2015, 10:25:21 am

Moved to KC in 93 and have been a season ticket holder for the Chiefs since.

Thanks guys for answering.  I've always wondered how many of us on here have such a varied array of Pro teams.  I grew up a Niners fan of all teams, just because I liked their Offense and back when players played on a team before free agency kicked in.  I had always followed the Hogs since grade School, because of my parents instilling that into me as early as 68, I remember the 69 game vividly.  It wasn't until I got into the working man's world that I became interested in the Pro game, that was because interestingly the Company I worked at had a pool that went around, huge pool, and I started betting the Niner's. 

With their Offense flying with Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, dominate O-Line, and their dominating defense and with my favorite defensive player of that time Ronnie Lott playing, they were a force to be reckoned with.  I no longer have a favorite Pro team, I guess I liked it better when players stayed with a team their entire careers, I followed the players more than the team itself.  I've never had a NBA team, or a MLB team, just Football.  That's just because that's my favorite sport.

bennyl08

Well, I grew up watching the greatest show on turf and Brett Favre was my favorite qb as a kid. Plus, to be perfectly honest, I just really liked the alliteration of the Seattle Seahawks and they had the coolest color scheme. Fast forward to when I actually knew stuff about football, Favre was still playing, so still a GB fan, especially when he was a tough gun slinger and you had guys like Brady who would cry if a defender messed up their hair. Stayed a Rams fan largely because because that who I decided would be my team through thick and thin that was geographically close. I kept a soft spot for the seahawks because they were always that underdog team who would play you tough, but really became a 12th man (also literally) once I moved to the PNW.

Others teams I like or dislike based on their style, players, and coaches. Any team with Peyton Manning I'll at least be a moderate fan of, unless he's playing the hawks, rams, or pack. Similarly, I'll root for any team with John Harbaugh (i..e. the ravens, but if he ever leaves them, there's a good chance I won't be a fan of them or at least as much of one). Typically in the NFL, I don't have much emotional investment like I do for the hogs. I enjoy watching really good football, and the difference in quality with the players from college to NFL is enormous. However, I don't really care about the "traditions" in the NFL as much and college has the NFL beat there by a mile. The players aren't as skilled, but the passion is high.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

k.c.hawg

Quote from: 1highhog on March 17, 2015, 11:59:07 am
Thanks guys for answering.  I've always wondered how many of us on here have such a varied array of Pro teams.  I grew up a Niners fan of all teams, just because I liked their Offense and back when players played on a team before free agency kicked in.  I had always followed the Hogs since grade School, because of my parents instilling that into me as early as 68, I remember the 69 game vividly.  It wasn't until I got into the working man's world that I became interested in the Pro game, that was because interestingly the Company I worked at had a pool that went around, huge pool, and I started betting the Niner's. 

With their Offense flying with Montana, Rice, Taylor, Craig, dominate O-Line, and their dominating defense and with my favorite defensive player of that time Ronnie Lott playing, they were a force to be reckoned with.  I no longer have a favorite Pro team, I guess I liked it better when players stayed with a team their entire careers, I followed the players more than the team itself.  I've never had a NBA team, or a MLB team, just Football.  That's just because that's my favorite sport. Been going strong for 22 years as a season ticket holder....love the NFL and MLB almost as much as college sports but don't take the losses near as hard as Hog losses.

Crazy thing is I grew up an Oakland Raider fan. The first pro game I ever saw was an AFL match up between the Raiders and Houston Oilers. Daryle Lamonica (the mad bomber) was the Raider QB and he wore #3. I was a wing back on my pop warner team and had a complex about wearing #3. When I saw a respected pro wearing #3 I instantly felt much better about my jersey and I had a new team to follow. Oakland was great for years to come with great players, great personalities. My love of the Raiders lasted from the late 60's thru the mid 80's when my love of the NFL began to fade. When I moved to KC in 93 I knew I would become a Chiefs fan but within weeks I realized a very good Chief lived across the street from me and two more in the same neighborhood within a block. All were great guys, normal guys, stand up guys, and I couldn't help but get addicted to Arrowhead Sundays, Mondays and sometime Thursdays.

HiggiePiggy

Pro sports. I really just root for players.  Peyton manning is my favorite player so I root for Denver.  If they are out I root for Green Bay because of Aaron Rodgers. 

20hog11

I grew up in Northern California and one of the first football games I remember watching was the Super Bowl between the 49ers and the Chargers. The 9ers smoked the chargers in the game, and I was a fan of the 9ers ever since. Basketball is different though. I was a big Jordan fan, so I liked the Bulls growing up, but once he retired I never stayed with a team for too long. In the NBA I've always been more of a fan of the players be it MJ, Pippen, Iverson and so on.

RAD

My dad's side of the family is from Minnesota, mom's side from Wisconsin. I guess the MN side stuck to me because they were more successful, ie more interest, during the time I was growing up. I was at the Metrodome in 91 for the ALCS, and I found out after the crushing loss in the 98 NFCCG that I was going to be surprised with tickets to the Super Bowl. So I'm a lifer Vikings/Twins fan. When the Vikings arent relevant, much as they have been for much of the last decade or so, then my 2nd team is the Packers.

I know that might seem strange, but who wants to see their mom disappointed?? And she LOVES them!! During the season, she ends all phone conversations with "Go Pack Go," and her entire house (including only the green and gold hershey kisses left from Christmas in the candy bowl) is green and gold when they make it to the postseason. I watched this years NFCCG with her, and even having experienced that kind of crushing loss as a Vikings fan several times, I hated for her to experience that.

I wasn't born here, so there wasnt a deep-rooted interest in the Hogs at first. I liked them during the Hatfield years, but it wasn't must-see for me then. I became all-in with Nolan's basketball teams around the same time. It wasn't until I started attending the UofA that it all changed, and of course I'll bleed Razorback red from here on out. Well, maybe most everyone does depending on which Pantone your blood is.

NFL teams that I hate?? Falcons (1998) Giants (2000) Saints (2009)

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on March 13, 2015, 09:07:07 pm
DMAC will be comeback POY. This will show everyone DMAC can be a force. Great OLine, Great QB. Well balance offense. DMAC will run for 1,300 yds.

He won't be even thought of for comeback POY, unless he averages over 100 ypg,
and probably not then since he wasn't coming off an injury. That being said, I'm gonna
be hoping for a heckuva lot more yards than that, or on whole helluva lot less carries
than Murray had.

OLDHOG

I never could understand so much hate on here for the Cowboys. Arkansas owned and Arkansas operated, ya know? Jerry Jones is one of the best alums we have, just MHO only. To each his own.

MountainHomeHogger

I knew he was going to be a bust when he came out, took too many hits in college, and was worn down..he will be a average backup at best.

island hog

Living in Texas nearly my entire 54 years, I can tell you for a fact that there is very little difference between a longhorn fan and a cowboy fan.  You could just replace the uterus and ovaries on the side of the longhorn helmet with a star and there would be no change at all.  Spend one game with either and you'll not be able to tell them apart.  Now...there are many fans of both who are less obnoxious, pious and pompous but they are in the minority. 

Hog1966

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My dad moved to Pine Bluff from Dallas with The Cotton Belt RR... I am the only one out of 5 born in Arkansas. I am a fan of ALL Dallas pro sports teams. My brother is a freaking Longhorn fan. We had some pretty good arguments growing up, but since the SEC move I have had more fun than he has, except the year they won the BCS against USC; and yes I rooted for UT in that game too... In his defense he moved back to Texass...