Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Death Is Lying in Wait at The Door of an Old Time Hog Fan..........

Started by LSUFan, March 08, 2015, 01:17:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

His name is Al Dennis, a lifelong resident of Bryant, Arkansas, great grandfather to my boys, and is at the age of 92.

A little history on him;

He grew up during the Great Depression, where he recalls eating rats and possums many times at the dinner table with his family.
After finishing High School, he joined the military to help support his family and fight the Germans to make our world a safer place. He did three tours in Germany in WWII. Fighting so long that sometimes he had to defecate and urinate in his pants.

He then went on to do three tours in the Korean War, where sometimes he went for weeks without boots in the cold of winter.

He retired from the military, and then went to work for the phone company as a lineman in Little Rock, where he subsequently retired.

He married a woman with an illegitimate child, took the child in as his own, and fathered another girl with this woman, whom he is still married to this day.

He worked from sun up till sun down, building their house brick by brick, while holding down a fulltime job with the phone company.

He taught many people, many things, especially my boys.

He would never cuss around a lady, but could cuss with the best of us.

He taught my boys to love crappie fishing, quail hunting with his dogs, camping on the Buffalo, and to cheer for the Hogs when I wasn't around, lol.

He is what epitomizes Arkansas. He's great, not good people.

He cheered his Hogs on through the good times and bad times, in his mind was.......Razorback History; the 64 Championship, the Frank Broyles Days, Nolan, Lou Holtz, 1994 Tournament,  Ken Hatfield days, Bailey Stadium, and the Ice Bowl. He grew up listening to games on the radio, and still loved to do that, even if a game was televised.

They move him into Hospice in the morning.

All I ask is this, if you believe in prayer, pray for the comfort of my boys, and for him.

One day very soon, Hog Nation and my boys will lose a Hero, and a 90+ year Hog Fan.

God's Speed dear sir, you have done well.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

usf15cc

lechon

Very sad that the greatest generation will be gone soon, people today will never understand the sacrifices that so many
made that still shape the world we live in.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

TPM

Buried my 94 year old Daddy yesterday.  You and your family are definitely in my prayers.

jb11

I go to church with bro.Al. I have known him for a long time. He is a great man.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

uconnhog

ImHogginIt

Quote from: LSUFan on March 08, 2015, 01:17:36 am
His name is Al Dennis, a lifelong resident of Bryant, Arkansas, great grandfather to my boys, and is at the age of 92.

A little history on him;

He grew up during the Great Depression, where he recalls eating rats and possums many times at the dinner table with his family.
After finishing High School, he joined the military to help support his family and fight the Germans to make our world a safer place. He did three tours in Germany in WWII. Fighting so long that sometimes he had to defecate and urinate in his pants.

He then went on to do three tours in the Korean War, where sometimes he went for weeks without boots in the cold of winter.

He retired from the military, and then went to work for the phone company as a lineman in Little Rock, where he subsequently retired.

He married a woman with an illegitimate child, took the child in as his own, and fathered another girl with this woman, whom he is still married to this day.

He worked from sun up till sun down, building their house brick by brick, while holding down a fulltime job with the phone company.

He taught my boys to love crappie fishing, quail hunting with his dogs, camping on the Buffalo, and to cheer for the Hogs when I wasn't around, lol.

He cheered his Hogs on through the good times and bad times, in his mind was.......Razorback History; the 64 Championship, the Frank Broyles Days, Nolan, Lou Holtz, 1994 Tournament,  Ken Hatfield days, Bailey Stadium, and the Ice Bowl. He grew up listening to games on the radio, and still loved to do that, even if a game was televised.

All I ask is this, if you believe in prayer, pray for the comfort of my boys, and for him.

One day very soon, Hog Nation and my boys will lose a Hero, and a 90+ year Hog Fan.

:razorback:

Steef

grayhawg

HogWall Jackson

May God Bless Mr. Dennis as he waits on his arrival. It is my prayer that God provide peace and comfort for his entire family and everyone who knew him. I feel that those of us who didn't know Mr. Dennis really missed something very special indeed.

zane

Sounds like a true gentleman!

Thoughts and prayers to those around him
RIP LSUfan

jethro

Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

Hawgey-Davidson

Prayers sent. Hope you and yours find great comfort in knowing that you have been blessed with a great man. God Bless.

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Hooter

hoglady

Your family will be in my prayers.
It sounds like the world is losing another fine man from the greatest generation.
It's wonderful that your boys will truly be able to carry a part of him with them through their lives.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

gmarv

prayers sent.may god watch over you all at this time and evermore.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: lechon on March 08, 2015, 04:04:29 am
Very sad that the greatest generation will be gone soon, people today will never understand the sacrifices that so many

Believe me every generation that serves it's drilled into our heads as examples of what true American Patriotism is.  (Not the DI but the CO in boot camp) 3800 Chosin Ave. San Diego!!

Silent Marine's  Prayer to my father on his behalf...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Sir Oinksalot

I have fond memories of Bryant in the early '70s, mmmm crappie, wow, what a life, remarkable man...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

OLDHOG

Honor him by living like him. My prayers are with you and your family.

aar0n

Reminds me very very much of my grandfathers, who were both the greatest men I've ever known and left a bigger impact on me than anybody else in this world will ever do.  I'm all of 28 years old and I'm saddened by the fact that the generation younger than myself will never know these heroes and unselfish men and women of that generation.  Even though I knew mine for 20+ years, it wasn't nearly enough to learn everything I could from them.  Although they're gone, pieces of them live in the legacies they left behind and the people they made such a huge impact on without even realizing it or doing it for the glory. 

Prayers sent for you and your family.  If he's anything like mine, and it definitely sounds as such, he'll be going to a much better place than here. 

HawgTide

staffhog

I read your thread before going to church and couldn't get it off my mind.  What a great man and what a privilege you've had to be close to him

You and your boys will carry weight of his example though out your lives.  Good bless

RedBird5

God bless him, you, and your family!  My grandfather, who also was in Germany in WWII, passed last year.  What a great generation of men and women.  Again, may God bless your family

HSVhogfan2

"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

fieldturf

God bless the Al Dennis family!!! People like this are true hero's!

NVRyield

LSUFan, my condolences to your family...I know exactly what your going through.  I've thought of posting about it myself, however we had a glimmer of hope this past week and held off.  My grandfather (93 yr old retired LTC after 30 years Army, Reserves, AR National Gaurd and UofA Masters Grad is in his final days it appears. 
Today I had the hardest conversation I've ever had with my hero.  I caught him in a good state of mind and I asked him if the 10 days of tough infection and Meds were to much to bear and if he was ready to see my grandmother again and call it a good life or keep fighting.  They are about to move him out of the hospital to a swing bed facilty or nursing home/hospice.  I wanted it to be his choice.  He told me he doesn't have much quit in him and he wanted to keep fighting.  Despite what the Dr's have said and his body failing by the hour, he knows no way to quit. 
This is the greatest generation to me.  And all will be sorely missed.  If you need an ear to talk to, reach out to me, it sounds we're in a similar boat  :'(
God Bless

vol_in_ar

Quote from: NVRyield on March 08, 2015, 05:22:57 pm
LSUFan, my condolences to your family...I know exactly what your going through.  I've thought of posting about it myself, however we had a glimmer of hope this past week and held off.  My grandfather (93 yr old retired LTC after 30 years Army, Reserves, AR National Gaurd and UofA Masters Grad is in his final days it appears. 
Today I had the hardest conversation I've ever had with my hero.  I caught him in a good state of mind and I asked him if the 10 days of tough infection and Meds were to much to bear and if he was ready to see my grandmother again and call it a good life or keep fighting.  They are about to move him out of the hospital to a swing bed facilty or nursing home/hospice.  I wanted it to be his choice.  He told me he doesn't have much quit in him and he wanted to keep fighting.  Despite what the Dr's have said and his body failing by the hour, he knows no way to quit. 
This is the greatest generation to me.  And all will be sorely missed.  If you need an ear to talk to, reach out to me, it sounds we're in a similar boat  :'(
God Bless

wow, that's a tough question to ask
hope he goes peaceful

panhandlepig

You would think the longer you have them the easier it would be to let them go. No, the longer you have them the more you want them to stay forever. Prayers to all.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Piggfoot

LSUFan you wrote a beautiful tribute to your grandfather-in-law. Those men fought real battles, battles that enable we as sports fans to engage in battles much less significant. I hope the younger generation truly appreciate the job they did. When men like that pass it gives us an opportunity to honor them and reflect on the important things in life. God Bless him and your family. Go Hogs!
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

snoblind

Hoggish1

A little history on him;

A great tribute.  You are lucky!

YIKES

You and your family are blessed to have him and to know his story. Sounds like he has earned his rest. God bless you and your family.
"When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you." Nietzsche

BorderPatrol

Praying.

We are losing the Greatest Generation way too quickly.

bp

LSUFan

Thank You all, y'all are why I hang my hat here, he was moved to Hospice today.........

LSUFan

Quote from: jb11 on March 08, 2015, 07:08:54 am
I go to church with bro.Al. I have known him for a long time. He is a great man.
A one of a kind.
When I compare this younger generation to him, I am saddened.

LL COOL HOG

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

alohawg

Quote from: LSUFan on March 08, 2015, 10:32:39 pm
A one of a kind.
When I compare this younger generation to him, I am saddened.

I concur, prayers to you and your family.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Ugly Uncle

LSU, you are in my thoughts and prayers.  You have honored him with your words here and telling his story. 

May God continue to bless Bro. Al's family.
Retired Radio Host

hollywood hog

Quote from: lechon on March 08, 2015, 04:04:29 am

Very true.  I'm 33 and these old fellas used to fill the donut shop of my small town.  Once a year on Veteran's Day they would come to our school to be honored.  90% of us minimum, myself included, didn't pay one bit of attention.  My school had never even brushed up on WW2 at all.  I had heard of Normandy, but didn't have a clue what had happened there.  Schools need to educate the children about the most important event of the entire 20th century.  More fascinating than anything I ever learned about in History class, or any class for that matter.  How in the hell do you not teach WW2 in great detail?  I feel cheated that I was never taught the history while many of these men were still around to be given the respect they deserved.  I respected my elders regardless, but just had no idea what kind of real men these old fellas in the donut shop actually were. 

Arkamedes

Prayers for you and to your family. Peace and comfort to them all.
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

LAHog124

I definitely appreciate his service for this great country, sir. Sending a prayer to the big man up stairs.
"If there's one thing I hate it's losing. If there's two things I hate it it's losing and getting cancer." -Kenny Powers

Maximus Tusk

A little history on him;

Your grandfather's impact and influence is evidenced in your post. My prayers are with you and your family. Mr. Al, WPS!

thirrdegreetusker

thirrdegreetusker

I am going to offer a small correction here. But only to exalt, not to diminish.

From the Vietnam era through the present, combat military service has been defined by "tours". But I can say, without much fear of error, that your grandpa did not do "three tours" in Germany or Korea; he did one each. One BIG tour each.

Reason is, they did not get to come home, or even leave the combat zone. For 99%, they were in "for the duration". The unit might get rotated off the front line for "R&R", but it was only a matter of miles, not time zones; they were never far from the fighting.

I am pretty sure of this because I was born on an air base. My dad did three separate overseas tours. For the first two, the tour duration was "until the job is done". Dad went to the South Pacific in WW2, and into Europe for the Berlin Airlift. He stayed at each until the job was done. So did 99% of everyone else. His third overseas tour was peacetime, and it lasted one year.

In WW2, once they shipped out after training, it was customary for them to NOT return until the war was over. For those who paid the ultimate price, their bodies usually did not come home. Teddy Roosevelt has two sons still buried in France.

Peace be to you and your family.