Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official 2017 Masters Thread

Started by Hawgndaaz, April 06, 2017, 09:09:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 09, 2017, 06:06:04 pm
Until someone calls in via email/phonecall to report an alleged rules infraction.  ;)

Somebody did. When he took the unplayable drop, and was removing loose impediments, someone thought they saw the ball move. A booth guy even made the comment, following the drop on the pine straw, that Sergio needs to walk very carefully. In the end, it was reviewed and no infraction was called.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

GolfNut57

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on April 10, 2017, 02:28:46 pm
Somebody did. When he took the unplayable drop, and was removing loose impediments, someone thought they saw the ball move. A booth guy even made the comment, following the drop on the pine straw, that Sergio needs to walk very carefully. In the end, it was reviewed and no infraction was called.

Can you imagine the public outrage that would have been thrown at the PGA had they assessed Garcia two penalty strokes after the fact and awarded the green jacket to Rose? All because a total loser with no life has nothing better to do than play deputy dog from his couch.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: GolfNut57 on April 10, 2017, 11:11:25 pm
Can you imagine the public outrage that would have been thrown at the PGA had they assessed Garcia two penalty strokes after the fact and awarded the green jacket to Rose? All because a total loser with no life has nothing better to do than play deputy dog from his couch.

They have to get a handle on this. I can think of no other sport where spectators are allowed to have a direct influence on rules matters. Sure, spectators on the course are routinely asked for information on matters of fact such as ball position, a ball leaving the field of play, or where a ball crosses a hazard line, etc., but for them to be allowed to "expos facto" influence the outcome of a match from a position off the course is just not equitable.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on April 11, 2017, 09:14:01 am
They have to get a handle on this. I can think of no other sport where spectators are allowed to have a direct influence on rules matters. Sure, spectators on the course are routinely asked for information on matters of fact such as ball position, a ball leaving the field of play, or where a ball crosses a hazard line, etc., but for them to be allowed to "expos facto" influence the outcome of a match from a position off the course is just not equitable.

Exactly, especially when not all the players get the same air time. 

Did you catch Phil's comments on the "loose" markers on the PGA tour?  He said there are several players who routinely move the ball 1-3 inches when they replace their ball but is not called.  He said what the PGA needs to do is privately contact the player in question, bring him in and tell him it's been noticed and tell him he needs to tighten it up.  IMO, that's how you handle it but don't jerk a major away from a player.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GolfNut57

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 11, 2017, 10:45:37 am
This question made me wonder - I thought the Masters had (used) its own rules officials for its tournament.

Beats the heck out of me. But I gotta believe they still have to conform to the USGA rulebook.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 11, 2017, 10:00:44 am
Exactly, especially when not all the players get the same air time. 

Did you catch Phil's comments on the "loose" markers on the PGA tour?  He said there are several players who routinely move the ball 1-3 inches when they replace their ball but is not called.  He said what the PGA needs to do is privately contact the player in question, bring him in and tell him it's been noticed and tell him he needs to tighten it up.  IMO, that's how you handle it but don't jerk a major away from a player.

I caught those comments, and I have seen a few players that do seem to be a bit "quick and in the area" when replacing their ball. Instead a singling out a particular player though, I believe a global warning would be a good place to start. The unfortunate result of all this is that it will invariably slow down the game, as players afraid of an inadvertent infraction will be more likely to engage an official to bless even the simplest of rules applications.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 10, 2017, 10:24:04 am
Mitch?  Mitch Cumstein??
the guy who knocked up the Chancellor's daughter at what I'm assuming is UC Berkley and was also a 'night putter' ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.