Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

America's Great 18 Holes

Started by GoHogs1091, January 04, 2017, 08:32:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

Here is a posting containing some people's opinions of the great 18 holes in America.  They have it divided into two sections, with modern course 18 holes, and classic course 18 holes (will have to scroll down quite a bit after the link loads to view all of the 36 holes).

https://geekedongolf.com/2017/01/01/americas-great-18s/

In my personal viewpoint they did get 2 holes correct in the classic course 18 hole section.  The following is my opinion regarding what should have been their classic course great 18 holes in America (yardage from back tee).

Hole 1   Prairie Dunes Hole #1   Par 4   432 yards

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52275.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41816.0.html

Hole 2   Southern Hills Hole #2    Par 4   486 yards

The 2nd Hole description from the Southern Hills web site.

"This is perhaps the most demanding driving hole on the golf course with a 225-yard carry over the bunkers and a winding creek that turns and parallels the fairway. A long-iron second shot is required to reach this well-bunkered green."

It is in the following fly over video.

Hole 3   Oakmont Hole #3    Par 4   426 yards

Hole 4   Merion (East Course) Hole #4    Par 5   628 yards

Hole 5   Merion (East Course) Hole #5    Par 4   504 yards

Hole 6   Pine Valley (Clementon, New Jersey) Hole #6   Par 4   394 yards

Hole 7   Pebble Beach Hole #7   Par 3   106 yards

Here is Sam Snead hitting a tee shot on Hole 7 at Pebble Beach in 1963.

Hole 8   Donald Ross Course at French Lick Indiana Hole #8   Par 4   392 yards

Hole 9   Merion (East Course) Hole #9   Par 3   236 yards

Hole 10   Augusta National Hole #10   Par 4   495 yards

A fly over video in the following link (will have to scroll down to get to the video after the link loads).

http://www.masters.com/en_US/course/hole10.html

Hole 11   Crystal Downs Hole #11   Par 3   196 yards

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49858.msg1135387.html#msg1135387

Hole 12   Southern Hills Hole #12   Par 4   458 yards

The 12th Hole description from the Southern Hills web site.

"Singled out by Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer as one of America's greatest par-4 holes, this slight dogleg left calls for a precision long drive to a blind landing area to take full advantage of the right-to-left slope of the fairway. The second shot, a long- to middle-iron, must be equally adroit to carry water and bunkers to the well-banked green. Bogies and double bogies will abound on this hole."

In the following fly over video.

Hole 13   Augusta National Hole #13   Par 5   510 yards

Fly over video in the following link.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/course/hole13.html

Hole 14   Hardscrabble Hole #14   Par 4   428 yards

Hole 15   Shinnecock Hills Hole #15   Par 4   402 yards

Information about the 15th Hole at Shinnecock Hills is in the following link (will have to scroll down to get to the 15th Hole)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62072.msg1474457.html#msg1474457

Hole 16   Cypress Point Hole #16   Par 3   233 yards

Video shows 234 yards, but the official Cypress Point scorecard shows 233 yards

Hole 17   Southern Hills Hole #17   Par 4   358 yards 

The 17th Hole description from the Southern Hills web site.

"The course's shortest par-4, this dogleg right is a real teaser. A pushed tee shot into the trees (and a creek) will mean real trouble. Most players will endeavor to place the tee shot on the left side of the fairway with a wood or long-iron. An accurate short-iron second shot is needed to reach the shallow, two-level, elevated green with some mean pin positions. This is one of the premier short, par-4 holes in all of golf."

The last hole shown in the following video.

Hole 18   Southern Hills Hole #18   Par 4   465 yards

The 18th Hole description from the Southern Hills web site.

"A truly great finishing hole, this dogleg right requires a drive to a plateau on the left side of the fairway 200 yards from the elevated green. A long-iron or fairway-wood second shot must carry to the green. The severely sloping green from back to front will cause many three-putts. It is the most difficult par on the golf course."

A fly over video.

Dominicanhog

nice set for sure.. I'd love to play Southern Hills, was there in 82 for the PGA.. I 'm getting to play Oakmont in May.. Merion and Pine Valley are 2 in my area that are high on my list.. I did Crystal Downs last year.. never been out west... would like to do Bandon before I'm too old.. and all the San Fran courses.. Peeble is not high on my list , I'm too cheap

Any of the National, Sebonack, Shinnecock would be nice...

Hawgndaaz

I agree with all those choices but the Southern Hills holes. That course just seems gimmicky and dated.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 25, 2017, 09:34:23 am
Ranking golf holes.  lol.

Makes about as much sense as you or me ranking DL recruiters......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 10:09:06 am

We need to stick with what we know.  Ranking hot chicks.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

McKdaddy

That's a lot of Southern Hills.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2017, 10:09:06 am

Well, maybe you.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on January 25, 2017, 09:23:03 am
I agree with all those choices but the Southern Hills holes. That course just seems gimmicky and dated.

They're actually trimming and taking out some trees to fix that.

There were some questionable holes out there.  I'll probably go back in a few weeks so I'll try to remember to let you know how it went.

jfan01

I got to play Southern Hills in the fall. There wasn't anything gimmicky about it. The course is very straightforward and in front of you for the taking, but you better be a great putter. You can look foolish on some of those greens.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jfan01 on January 25, 2017, 03:25:57 pm
I got to play Southern Hills in the fall. There wasn't anything gimmicky about it. The course is very straightforward and in front of you for the taking, but you better be a great putter. You can look foolish on some of those greens.

Tricked up Perry Maxwell greens.  Might as well have a clown's mouth painted around the holes...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jfan01

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 03:30:05 pm
Tricked up Perry Maxwell greens.  Might as well have a clown's mouth painted around the holes...

:)

The greens don't look all that difficult, but they are extremely fast. Putts can get away from you.

The other Perry Maxwell course I've played is Prairie Dunes. The greens there look hard, and they are. They just don't keep them nearly as fast as the folks at Southern Hills.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: jfan01 on January 25, 2017, 03:44:49 pm
:)

The greens don't look all that difficult, but they are extremely fast. Putts can get away from you.

The other Perry Maxwell course I've played is Prairie Dunes. The greens there look hard, and they are. They just don't keep them nearly as fast as the folks at Southern Hills.

and he did Colonial,, Hardscrabble?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 03:30:05 pm

I play a lot of Pete Dye and people say the same thing..

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: jfan01 on January 25, 2017, 03:25:57 pm

I'm just not a fan of courses that rely on gimmicky putting to protect it from low scores. Perry Maxwell in a nutshell really.