Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Callaway Driver ... Epic

Started by root_hawg, November 29, 2016, 02:40:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

GolfNut57

Talking about the Fusion? I did yesterday.......nothing  special. I hit it relatively straight but it wasn't any longer distance wise than the old drivers I am currently hitting. Until I do something to get my swing speed up above what a 100 year old man can swing at there is really no point in me spending $350 on any new driver.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Ex-Trumpet

Still hitting my Ping Anser 8.5 with Ahina shaft...can't see replacing it anytime soon.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Now the irons and 3 wood are a different matter altogether!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

root_hawg

EPIC doesnt get here till January just found out

GolfNut57

Quote from: root_hawg on December 01, 2016, 12:34:25 pm
EPIC doesnt get here till January just found out
So Callaway releases the Fusion in Nov and waits until Jan for the Epic. Makes perfect sense......... ::)
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Roctavious

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 29, 2016, 05:27:41 pm
Talking about the Fusion? I did yesterday.......nothing  special. I hit it relatively straight but it wasn't any longer distance wise than the old drivers I am currently hitting. Until I do something to get my swing speed up above what a 100 year old man can swing at there is really no point in me spending $350 on any new driver.

I have some lefties you can demo. Maybe you should try switching sides . . . .

GolfNut57

Quote from: Roctavious on December 05, 2016, 08:44:58 pm
I have some lefties you can demo. Maybe you should try switching sides . . . .

Switching sides? Nope.........always going to love the LADIES!  ;)

root_hawg

Hit the Epic, you need to give it a try got some increased smash factor with it.

GoHogs1091

January 30, 2017, 02:37:54 pm #9 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:44:38 pm by GoHogs1091
Here is an interesting looking club that may be replacing a lot of drivers in amateur golf.  The following link has a video.  Immediately below the video is a lot information about the club.

https://go.gx7golf.com/get/gx7xmetal/?utm_source=gctv&utm_medium=tv&utm_campaign=gctv-gx7golf60

Not for sure why that above link stopped working (I am now getting an SSL Error; I am using Google Chrome).

Here is the GX7 Golf actual web site address, but when the following loads it automatically becomes the above link.

www.gx7golf.com

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 30, 2017, 02:37:54 pm
Here is an interesting looking club that may be replacing a lot of drivers in amateur golf.  The following link has a video.  Immediately below the video is a lot information about the club.

https://go.gx7golf.com/get/gx7xmetal/?utm_source=gctv&utm_medium=tv&utm_campaign=gctv-gx7golf60

Not for sure why that above link stopped working (I am now getting an SSL Error; I am using Google Chrome).

Here is the GX7 Golf actual web site address, but when the following loads it automatically becomes the above link.

www.gx7golf.com

I have seen that ad during some late night golf telecasts and it has all the stench of a scam. First I would suspect that the club is likely not to conform and thus be illegal. Secondly I have never heard of the guy Paulson that is pushing this club and if he is supposed to be some great tour pro then that doesn't say alot for the name recognition. Finally, when they show the golfers hitting balls with it it shows the track line of the shot. Maybe it is just me but it seems the ball sure reaches its peak arc in the trajectory and starts dropping rather quickly for them to make such a claim about how the club hits longer shots. Plus when it shows the dispersion chart you can see several hits by the club that went shorter than the regular driver.

I put this guy as no better than the clown that tries to sell you the Hammer driver on late night TV. You know, the one that yells POW or grunts after hitting the ball and has the sound of a jet engine piped into the ad.  :D

Dillar Dog

Paulson is much better than Hamm.  He actually made a good living playing golf and is a good guy.

Hamm is a snake oil salesman.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 30, 2017, 06:22:11 pm
I have seen that ad during some late night golf telecasts and it has all the stench of a scam. First I would suspect that the club is likely not to conform and thus be illegal. Secondly I have never heard of the guy Paulson that is pushing this club and if he is supposed to be some great tour pro then that doesn't say alot for the name recognition. Finally, when they show the golfers hitting balls with it it shows the track line of the shot. Maybe it is just me but it seems the ball sure reaches its peak arc in the trajectory and starts dropping rather quickly for them to make such a claim about how the club hits longer shots. Plus when it shows the dispersion chart you can see several hits by the club that went shorter than the regular driver.

I put this guy as no better than the clown that tries to sell you the Hammer driver on late night TV. You know, the one that yells POW or grunts after hitting the ball and has the sound of a jet engine piped into the ad.  :D

According to the Q&A section on that web page, the GX 7 is 100% conforming to the USGA Rules of Golf.

It has some interesting specs.

14 Degree Loft     Which is more than a standard Driver, less than a typical 3 Wood.
267cc clubhead volume
43" length     Which is in line with today's standard 3 Wood.

Here is another interesting looking club.

Power Play Caiman X2 Rawpower Fairway Wood

Following link has a video.

http://www.hirekogolf.com/power-play-caiman-x2-rawpower-fairway-wood-custom-assembled.html

3 Wood Loft (15 Degree), but with increased clubhead weight.
42" Length     Which is in line with a standard 5 Wood.

Here is the Product Description from the above link.

Details
"In 2008, the original Power Play Caiman Raw Power fairway wood debuted. It was designed to solve a common problem that many golfers experience - not being able to hit their #3 wood as solidly as their #5 wood. By increasing clubhead weight, reducing clublength, and creating a hotter face, the Rawpower allowed golfers to improve accuracy without sacrificing distance. Since the inception, the Raw Power has become our #1 selling and performing #3 fairway wood. The all-new 2012 Caiman X2 Raw Power takes those same principles and pushes it to the next level with a hotter face and improved aerodynamics for even longer and straighter shots."

I presume a main goal of the GX 7 club and the Power Play Caiman X2 Rawpower club is to make it where amateur golfers don't have to use a Driver.  I presume a Driver may be considered to be the most overrated club in an amateur's bag. 

Dillar Dog

FRAT.

This thing is another garbage scam that preys on the weak minded.

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 31, 2017, 07:05:52 pm
According to the Q&A section on that web page, the GX 7 is 100% conforming to the USGA Rules of Golf.

It has some interesting specs.

14 Degree Loft     Which is more than a standard Driver, less than a typical 3 Wood.
267cc clubhead volume
43" length     Which is in line with today's standard 3 Wood.

So it is just a strong 3W........or a weak 2W if you prefer. A lot of people hit their 3W's off the tee better than their driver. Makes me wonder why they don't try a 2W. Of course they don't officially make a 2W anymore......unless you want to call a modern day driver with 12 degrees loft a 2W.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 31, 2017, 09:58:05 pm
So it is just a strong 3W........or a weak 2W if you prefer. A lot of people hit their 3W's off the tee better than their driver. Makes me wonder why they don't try a 2W. Of course they don't officially make a 2W anymore......unless you want to call a modern day driver with 12 degrees loft a 2W.

I've got a Big Bertha 2W, can't hit it either, lol.

GolfNut57

Quote from: root_hawg on December 22, 2016, 12:33:29 pm
Hit the Epic, you need to give it a try got some increased smash factor with it.

Got off work this morning at 8AM and since I was over near the Edwin Watts store at Shackleford Crossing I figured I would go in and give the Epic a look see. Gotta say I was impressed with it. For the first time in like forever I found a driver that the clubmaker didn't outright lie about the increased distance you would get with it.

I normally drive around 205 yards on average with my current driver.....(yeah I am a short hitter) but with the Epic I was averaging around 220 yards. It had a 40 gram Sr flex shaft in it as opposed to mine that is a 65 gram regular flex. And I was hitting that 220 average without getting a single ball impact in the center of the face out of the 15 swings or so I took with the club. The large majority of them were towards the heel of the club but were still even with the sweet spot height wise on the face. So it did give me at least 15 yards gained on average in distance. Obviously I would love to see how much of a gain I would get if I could center the ball in the sweet spot.

Found that impressive but not quite impressive enough to pay $500 for one knowing that the spouse would raise holy hell with me for spending that much on a driver. Guess I will wait until next year and try for a used one off of EBay.

pingeye2

Hit the new Titleist and got a consistent smash factor of 1.47 or 1.48 on what seemed to be solid contact on a Trackman. Tried the Epic and the lowest I got was 1.51 (yes, in theory 1.50 is max...but it really isn't) with most being 1.52. I think they have a winner with the Epic

majestic

Good Lord, what happened to me? I went to play the other day for the first time in 3 or 4 years. I can't hit anything longer than a 5 iron worth a crap! I hit two decent drives all day, and the longest was a whopping 245 yards. I used to be a bomber, although not particularly accurate. Man, getting old(er) sucks.

I'm thinking about joining either Stonebridge or Paradise Valley soon. They are both just minutes from me and are about the same price, though, I think PV wants to charge for a cart in addition to your dues.

Any opinions on which would be the better option?
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

GolfNut57

Quote from: majestic on March 21, 2017, 06:14:48 pm
Good Lord, what happened to me? I went to play the other day for the first time in 3 or 4 years. I can't hit anything longer than a 5 iron worth a crap! I hit two decent drives all day, and the longest was a whopping 245 yards. I used to be a bomber, although not particularly accurate. Man, getting old(er) sucks.

I'm thinking about joining either Stonebridge or Paradise Valley soon. They are both just minutes from me and are about the same price, though, I think PV wants to charge for a cart in addition to your dues.

245 yards? People like you who complain about that kind of yardage off the tee make me sick!  >:(

Just wait until you get old like me and only average 210 or so.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: majestic on March 21, 2017, 06:14:48 pm

Stonebridge is a better course than Paradise, but with Paradise you get to play any Lindsay course

The downside to Stonebridge is the number of tournaments they have on the weekend, so getting a tee time on certain weekends is a pia

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.