Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Annual conference expansion talks heat up - Big 12, SEC adding teams?

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 05, 2012, 04:03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogtimes

Quote from: nutted on November 13, 2012, 11:00:41 am
what I hear through the atlanta sports council is that the SEC is looking at; OU, FSU, NCst, VT, or Clempson and the long shot is MD.....I don't think the SEC wants MD but they are on the board for contingency plans. some combination of two (2) schools from the list is what the SEC wants.  FSU is on the table....UF understands the bigger pic for the conference so the petty rival stuff is put in everyones pocket until something close to finalizing a new member is on the table.  If FSU is on the table about to be invited, UF will let it happen but they will get SOMETHING for letting them in.

The SEC and ACC are in this TOGETHER behind the closed doors.  Slive will not do anything to hurt the ACC....but the ACC understands one or two of their members might get swept to the SEC but they will know about it early and it gives them a chance to find replacements.

That's why the SEC is slow to add....they are giving the ACC a chance to organize itself and strengthen itself so if they lose two schools to the SEC they have their contingency plans.

Obviously the ACC would like to see the SEC take OU and then just one member....less work for the ACC and minimal loss.  But make no mistake they understand the SEC may take two...but they will bless the move.

When you think of conference realignment think of the SEC/ACC as brothers....one brother is the big football player and one brother is the big basketball player.  Doesn't mean the brother that playes football doesn't play a little basketball too or that the basketball player doesn't also play some football.

believe it or not but the SEC and ACC are in this together behind closed doors

OU has already turned down an SEC....per the OU Prez.   Plus OU and OSU are bound together.   OU is not going anywhere with out OSU.

Dumb ole famrboy

what I hear through the atlanta sports council is that the SEC is looking at; OU, FSU, NCst, VT, or Clempson and the long shot is MD.....I don't think the SEC wants MD but they are on the board for contingency plans. some combination of two (2) schools from the list is what the SEC wants.  FSU is on the table....UF understands the bigger pic for the conference so the petty rival stuff is put in everyones pocket until something close to finalizing a new member is on the table.  If FSU is on the table about to be invited, UF will let it happen but they will get SOMETHING for letting them in.

The SEC and ACC are in this TOGETHER behind the closed doors.  Slive will not do anything to hurt the ACC....but the ACC understands one or two of their members might get swept to the SEC but they will know about it early and it gives them a chance to find replacements.

That's why the SEC is slow to add....they are giving the ACC a chance to organize itself and strengthen itself so if they lose two schools to the SEC they have their contingency plans.

Obviously the ACC would like to see the SEC take OU and then just one member....less work for the ACC and minimal loss.  But make no mistake they understand the SEC may take two...but they will bless the move.

When you think of conference realignment think of the SEC/ACC as brothers....one brother is the big football player and one brother is the big basketball player.  Doesn't mean the brother that playes football doesn't play a little basketball too or that the basketball player doesn't also play some football.

That is because the SEC and ACC are going to form a combined 3rd tier network underwritten by ESPN. The network media footprint will encompass about 55% of US households. Being that the LHN is already an ESPN property they may roll that content into the combined network also.

Ā 

Tim Harris

Quote from: Stan on November 13, 2012, 11:46:26 am
OU has already turned down an SEC....per the OU Prez.   Plus OU and OSU are bound together.   OU is not going anywhere with out OSU.

I wish that wasn't the case.  I would like to have OU in the SEC.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Murr

I've heard UF wouldn't stop FSU from entering the league, they might vote against them.  Could you elaborate on what you mean by UF would "get something" by letting FSU in?

The SEC has been trying to grab OU the last couple of summers.  OU can't separate the political ties that want to make sure that OSU won't be financially harmed by a move by the Sooners.  A&M had the same problem but finally presented a plan that benefited the state of Texas by letting them join the SEC and replacing them with TCU.  Not sure if OU could do that with the Big 12's GOR and new Tier 3 contracts with Fox;  if anyone can find a way to get the Sooners on board, it's the boys in Birmingham.

Your list of schools make sense.  I think UNC, UVA and Duke will be able to keep enough schools together to keep a viable conference .  Only the Big Ten could pull those schools out and that's only if the ACC fell apart.  If the "core" ACC schools want to stay, they'll be able to backfill with Big East schools.

Slive would want at least one new state added.  VT would be at the top of the list by adding decent footfall and the TV households of the state of Virginia and D.C.  Not sure if NC State could separate themselves from the ACC if UNC and the core teams stayed; not sure if the desire to leave is even on the NC State side.  If that was the case, I'd add the best possible football program for content purposes.  I'd go with FSU first and then Clemson.  If by some reason they all said no, adding Maryland would round off the numbers.

The SEC and ACC working together behind closed doors;  I've heard it from many places.  If this is true, then the ACC doesn't want to lose any football members because it'll hurt their chances of getting teams into the new playoffs.  Also, the ACC doesn't want to lose members to the Big Ten either.

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on November 13, 2012, 02:03:36 pm
That is because the SEC and ACC are going to form a combined 3rd tier network underwritten by ESPN. The network media footprint will encompass about 55% of US households. Being that the LHN is already an ESPN property they may roll that content into the combined network also.

There is the SEC Network that is supposed to come out in 2014.  I haven't heard of a joint network between the two conferences.  The footprint and coverage could be worth it.

psooie

If the acc and sec are working together than there is no way the acc is cool with the sec taking any school's located in the state of North carolina or Virginia since that could destabilize the ACC. I could see the ACC let 2 from clemson, georgia tech or Flordia state jump ship and focus on being a basketball conference. I'm not sure why the sec would want Flordia state. Oklahoma will never happen, they signed over their TV right and they can't leave Oklahoma state in a dead man's conference, which the big 12 would be if OU ever left solo. The longshot school for the sec could be East Carolina, adds a new market, football culture, won't overtake the powers.  Add the pirates and one ACC school, cut a deal with the acc on a network.

Murr

Some Brett McMurphy tweets concerning BYU realignment options from yesterday:

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN

A chance? Sure. Not an easy decision for BYU, though RT @tevita_mac: @McMurphyESPN is there any chance byu joins the big east?

Yes, best/only conference option RT @azbenj: @McMurphyESPN is Big East BYU's only option. Am I crazy to wish for BIG12?

BYU not a target RT @Alex_M_Davis: @McMurphyESPN @azbenj why is that? Big12 not interested in expanding or expanding with BYU?

elvis26

;D i cant wait until we hear which two schools will join the greatest conference in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murr

Radio chatter from multiple stations of Maryland to Big Ten discussions not confirmed yet.  The verbage used seems to suggest possible movement/discussions as opposed to handing out invitations.  No unified or similar reason for info leak from the various school fan bases; each one has their own separate ideas.  Take with a lot of salt.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=10476893

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=174&f=2580&t=10474948

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Board/120/Maryland-to-the-big-10-13975354/1

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/football/2012/11/maryland-to-the-big

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1079&tid=159821538&mid=159821538&sid=1061&style=2

http://maryland.247sports.com/Board/67/Big-10-Report-13975088/1

Tusks

I want to clarify a couple comments......OU....yes they seem to be pinned down with politics and other issues.....some of those issues go away if their conference disbanded......it's the team Slive wants if they expand west...he may not get them but it's who he wants. Why do think the SEC keeps putting out temp schedules time is on the SEC side.
Yes....yes....yes....the SEC & ACC working together.....that's why the ACC is signing Big East teams....the SEC is giving the ACC time to poach the big east and get their roster together so they don't take major blow when the SEC makes it's final move.  Slive will do everything he can protect the ACC and the ACC knows they will lose 2 schools to the SEC.
This will all happen at the expense of the big east and the little house on the prairie conference.  Whichever teams go the ACC will let it happen.....NC and Duke are forever joined at the hip and will stay in the ACC until the sun goes out or earth explodes.  I say the new SEC will materialize for the 2014 or 2015 football season.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Murr

So you are saying 2014-15 is about when the SEC will finish its expansion, OU is still Slive's top target, and the big 12 would have to disband for this to happen.

This past weekend more people in Austin watched aTM-Alabama game than the Texas-ISU game on LHN.  Clay Travis wrote an article that referenced a site claiming the horns are not receiving funds originally expected due to poor distribution and 50-50 split of profits.  Now if espn and Texas ended that contract around the timeframe when the Big Ten might add schools to enhance their $$$, OU could be on the table.  We might have to add OSU for political reasons to ensure we get the Sooners, but that would be the next oblvious and Likily chance we could think about adding them.

We could have done that last summer and didn't .  Not sure if it was fear of lawsuits or no wanting to double down on a state whose market is just a little biggEr than Arkansas'.  Heck, adding A&M, OU, OSU and Mizzou would have solidified every major market and house hold in the Big 12 that the sec did not have minus Iowa.

I would love to add Ou to the SEC, but I do t see it happening with the political ties to OSU and the big 12's GOR in effect.

Quote from: nutted on November 15, 2012, 02:30:09 am
I want to clarify a couple comments......OU....yes they seem to be pinned down with politics and other issues.....some of those issues go away if their conference disbanded......it's the team Slive wants if they expand west...he may not get them but it's who he wants. Why do think the SEC keeps putting out temp schedules time is on the SEC side.
Yes....yes....yes....the SEC & ACC working together.....that's why the ACC is signing Big East teams....the SEC is giving the ACC time to poach the big east and get their roster together so they don't take major blow when the SEC makes it's final move.  Slive will do everything he can protect the ACC and the ACC knows they will lose 2 schools to the SEC.
This will all happen at the expense of the big east and the little house on the prairie conference.  Whichever teams go the ACC will let it happen.....NC and Duke are forever joined at the hip and will stay in the ACC until the sun goes out or earth explodes.  I say the new SEC will materialize for the 2014 or 2015 football season.

rzrbackrob

OU is not going to the SEC.
OU is terrified to play in the SEC and used every excuse they could to avoid the SEC including academics, running to the PAC 12, and hiding behind little sister. All BS. Oklahoma is joined at the hip to Texass and will eventually follow them into irrelevance.

The SEC will expand to 16 when a legitimate team emerges from population rich North Carolina (9.7 million) and Virginia (8 million). The SEC is in no hurry. The new TV package and SEC network will be massive, but in a few years, there may be more money to tap into, and adding a couple of teams will enable them to reopen negations.
Here is what is important to the SEC in expansion talks:

Texas 25.7 million (1 team)
Florida 19 million (1 team)

Georgia 9.8 million (1 team)

Tennessee 6.4 million (2 teams)
Missouri 6 million (1 team)

Alabama 4.8 million (2 teams)
South Carolin 4.7 million (1 team)
Louisiana 4.6 million (1 team)
Kentucky 4.4 million (1 team)

Mississippi 3 million (2 teams)
Arkansas 3 million (1 team)

Total 91.4 million
Good is the enemy of great

texas tush hog

CBS Sports is just now reporting that Maryland and Rutgers are joining the B1G and that serious negotiations are ongoing with both.

Ā 

Uberanubis

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

Murr

Looks like Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten.  Rumblings started on twitter, then the radio, bloggers and now respected media.  UConn is considered the likely replacement for UMD in the ACC.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Maryland-to-Big-Ten-is-pretty-serious.html
Source: Maryland to Big Ten is 'pretty serious' by Dave Miller
The new $50 million exit fee for an ACC member to leave the league may not stand in the way of conference realignment after all.
Late Friday night, Pennsylvania radio host Jerry Fisher tweeted that sources told Phil Grosz, the Penn State editor for Rivals.com, that Maryland is set to join the Big Ten in 2014 with an announcement coming next week. Jeff Ermann of Inside Maryland Sports then indicated in a post that the rumors are "more than just rumors."
With Pittsburgh and Syracuse set to join the ACC next year and realignment having seemingly taken a back seat with the ACC at 14 members, certainly these rumors seemed to come out of nowhere.
But according to a source this morning, the talk of a Maryland move to the Big Ten is "pretty serious" and there's "a lot of smoke in College Park" about a move. The school is intrigued by the Big Ten because of the added revenue that it would bring in from BTN. Not too long ago the Terrapins had to drop some non-revenue sports, and a move to the Big Ten ā€” despite a massive exit fee and extra travel costs ā€” would help the athletic department immensely.
The potential second team to jump ship to the Big Ten and give Jim Delany's league 14 members? The school I continue to hear from several people is Rutgers, which would love the opportunity to leave the Big East for a bigger platform. And Delany certainly could desire to add the New York television market along with the Washington, D.C. market he would get with Maryland. Geographically, Rutgers is close to New York City and Philadelphia, and it is the only BCS conference school that plays in the New York City metropolitan TV market.
As of right now there is obviously plenty of smoke, and everyone around Maryland and in Big Ten country is being tight-lipped. But it's certainly something to monitor closely, and I'll update if any more information becomes available.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8644587/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-talks-join-big-ten-conference-sources-say
The University of Maryland is in serious negotiations to join the Big Ten Conference, sources told ESPN on Saturday.
If Maryland goes to the Big Ten, Rutgers of the Big East is expected to follow suit. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.
No date has been set for an potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday.
A source told ESPN.com that the Big Ten has been itchy about further expansion since Notre Dame made its official move to the ACC two months ago in all sports other than football. The source said the Big Ten can justify Maryland and then possibly Rutgers since they are all contiguous states to the Big Ten footprint.
If these dominoes were to fall then Connecticut would emerge as the most likely candidate to fill Maryland in the ACC. The ACC will be at 14 members in 2013-14 with the addition of the Big East's Pitt and Syracuse and 15 in all sports except football when Notre Dame joins, which could be as early as fall 2013.
Rutgers' exit fee from the Big East would be less expensive. The buyout to leave the Big East is $10 million if the school provides 27 months notice. However, the league has allowed West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Syracuse to leave the league without honoring the 27-month requirement by paying a higher exit fee.
The Scarlet Knights would be the ninth member of the Big East to leave or announce they were leaving the league since 2004. Six of those defections have occurred in the past year -- Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame to the ACC; TCU and West Virginia to the Big 12 and Rutgers to the Big Ten.

Murr

Quote from: rzrbackrob on November 16, 2012, 06:26:30 pm
OU is not going to the SEC.
OU is terrified to play in the SEC and used every excuse they could to avoid the SEC including academics, running to the PAC 12, and hiding behind little sister. All BS.
Oklahoma is joined at the hip to Texass and will eventually follow them into irrelevance.

The SEC will expand to 16 when a legitimate team emerges from population rich North Carolina (9.7 million) and Virginia (8 million). The SEC is in no hurry. The new TV package and SEC network will be massive, but in a few years, there may be more money to tap into, and adding a couple of teams will enable them to reopen negations.

I fear you are right.  I hear the president's tenure at OU is directly tied to the success of the football program.

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 17, 2012, 04:29:13 pm
CBS Sports is just now reporting that Maryland and Rutgers are joining the B1G and that serious negotiations are ongoing with both.

Here's the article:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21029512/report-maryland-rutgers-in-serious-negotiations-to-join-the-big-ten

QuoteReport: Maryland, Rutgers in 'serious' negotiations to join the Big Ten
By Chip Patterson | Blogger

Maryland and Rutgers are in advanced and ongoing negotiations with the Big Ten regarding membership, according to multiple reports.

ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy first reported the news that Maryland was in "serious negotiations" to join the Big Ten. According to the report, Rutgers is in a similar situation and would also join the Big Ten if the negotiations are finalized. That news was then confirmed by Yahoo! Sports' Pat Forde, who -- citing multiple sources -- said both schools are in "advanced discussions" to join the Big Ten.

No date has reportedly been set for any announcement, but one could come as early as next week. Maryland (ACC) and Rutgers (Big East) are charter members of their respective conferences

NWASooner

OU is not going to the SEC.  Why would they? 

With the structure of the new TV deal, the Big 12 is the one in the position to go poaching.  What sticks out to me about Maryland going is that new ACC exit fee isn't as prohibitive as people think.  If that's the case, Clemson and Florida State are back in play. 

Hope Notre Dame enjoys the new ACC.....

elvis26

;D if maryland and rutgers go to the big ten i believe the sec will go to 16 teams real soon. mike slive needs to get the schools he wants before other conferences grab them!!!! get it done soon slive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exit19

Okay with Maryland and Rutgers to the big 10 that means UNC and Virginia Tech to the SEC right???

That would be a heck of a league in all sports

Lysol

I think WVU should seriously consider the ACC. Would be much more convenient for their entire athletic department

texas tush hog

Quote from: elvis26 on November 17, 2012, 06:47:55 pm
;D if maryland and rutgers go to the big ten i believe the sec will go to 16 teams real soon. mike slive needs to get the schools he wants before other conferences grab them!!!! get it done soon slive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ever think that Slive is getting left behind, he knows who he can get, and who he wants and he will get them, book it.

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: exit19 on November 17, 2012, 07:15:40 pm
Okay with Maryland and Rutgers to the big 10 that means UNC and Virginia Tech to the SEC right???

That would be a heck of a league in all sports

I'm thinking Virginia tech  and nc state. Would love unc but don't think it will happen. Virginia tech and...Oklahoma?
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor ā€“ HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

ExArky

Quote from: Lysol on November 17, 2012, 07:52:09 pm
I think WVU should seriously consider the ACC. Would be much more convenient for their entire athletic department

WVU applied to ACC and SEC last time around and was rejected by both. Nothing to offer either.

ExArky

Quote from: FayettenamSam on November 17, 2012, 08:16:42 pm
I'm thinking Virginia tech  and nc state. Would love unc but don't think it will happen. Virginia tech and...Oklahoma?

Living in VT country, I know the under-35 crowd wants the SEC pretty badly. The older folks remember years ago when VT was yearning for ACC basketball and would want to stay ACC. Funny thing is VT might be SEC now instead of Missouri if they had stayed Big East and not got the ACC invite, which was engineered by politicians at Syracuse's expense at the time (now Syracuse is in, anyway).

VT's football program is starting to slide similar to Fla State in Bowden's last years -- old established coach not willing to adjust to the times.

Ā 

Murr

More fire, this from the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/university-of-maryland-in-talks-to-join-big-ten/2012/11/17/a9a8cde4-3104-11e2-a30e-5ca76eeec857_story.html?hpid=z4

Quote from: FayettenamSam on November 17, 2012, 08:16:42 pm

OU is off the table with GOR for 12/11 years remaining.  I think the SEC strikes on the first new market team available (UNC/NCState/UVA/VT) and then tries to grab one from the other state.  If the second part does not happen, grab FSU.

Quote from: ExArky on November 17, 2012, 08:48:33 pm
WVU applied to ACC and SEC last time around and was rejected by both. Nothing to offer either.
Too much bad blood to join the ACC and probably not built enough to join the SEC.  Mizzou was better prepared to join the SEC than WVU at the time.

Side Note:  New New Big East candidates might be setting themselves up for possible invites.  ECU is rumored to have a special meeting set up to evaluate this on Tuesday.  BYU is not even on the lesser group of five for the new BCS payouts and might have its hand forced. 

And @tuxedoyoda tweeted this on Nov 15:
QuoteTuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda
@IngramSmith Hearing of a FSU meeting next week before turkey day. Results/analysis of a conference comparison study. Heard anything?

Murr

Quote from: ExArky on November 17, 2012, 08:51:38 pm
Living in VT country, I know the under-35 crowd wants the SEC pretty badly. The older folks remember years ago when VT was yearning for ACC basketball and would want to stay ACC. Funny thing is VT might be SEC now instead of Missouri if they had stayed Big East and not got the ACC invite, which was engineered by politicians at Syracuse's expense at the time (now Syracuse is in, anyway).

VT's football program is starting to slide similar to Fla State in Bowden's last years -- old established coach not willing to adjust to the times.

Virginia Tech has options.  They know they can land in the SEC or Big 12 and maybe the B1G.  Time is on their side.

Murr

From Monday Nov. 13th:
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2012/11/13/under-armour-ceo-kevin-plank-selling.html

Quote[Under Armour Inc. CEO Kevin] Plank is selling the shares, a fraction of his stock in Under Armour (NYSE: UA), for asset diversification, tax and estate planning and charitable giving purposes, the filing said. The shares, if sold at Monday's closing price of $49.62, are worth $64.5 million.

$64.5M > $50M ACC exit fee.

Hawghiggs

What if Florida state decides to leave the ACC also? Would the SEC go after them? And if the SEC did. Would the last team be either ECU or Houston?

Murr

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 18, 2012, 12:11:43 am
What if Florida state decides to leave the ACC also? Would the SEC go after them? And if the SEC did. Would the last team be either ECU or Houston?

I would have to say the realistic priorities for teams #15 and #16 in the SEC are:
1.   A North Carolina Team (UNC/NC State/maybe Duke)
2.   A Virginia Team (UVA/VT)
3.   FSU
4.   Try again at steps 1 and 2 with a weaker ACC and see what shakes
5.   Make a major reach into new territory with ECU.

Adding the University of Houston is pointless; UT and aTm already own this market.  If you are going to add another Texas program, SMU in Dallas/Fort Worth MetroPlex would help reinforce that market, which might be very unnecessary.  Also, Texas Tech's distance and poor academics would hurt them.  Taking FSU at 15 would be a last ditch effort attempt to grab VT or NC State assuming UNC/UVA/Duke want to stay together in their own conference.  If that fails, Chuck Neinas, now a paid consultant for ECU, will lobby for ECU and remind people they average a little under 50,000 playing in Conference USA and all the upgrades they have been making to their facilities.  The Big 12 teams are off the table unless Slive knows some magic tricks.

Murr

cardinalfan123

Quote from: Murr on November 18, 2012, 02:04:08 am
L'ville sports writers already complaining about UConn stealing their ACC spot.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/20128671/crawford-u-of-l-once-again-could-be-an-underdog-in-realignment-fight

Yup that's what it's looking like.  What sucks is UConn has a crappy athletics department with no TV market but they'll get in because they have better academics.  At this point we have to hope FSU gets pissed off enough at the ACC to want to go to the Big 12 and we go with them.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Murr on November 18, 2012, 01:03:04 am
I would have to say the realistic priorities for teams #15 and #16 in the SEC are:
1.   A North Carolina Team (UNC/NC State/maybe Duke)
2.   A Virginia Team (UVA/VT)
3.   FSU
4.   Try again at steps 1 and 2 with a weaker ACC and see what shakes
5.   Make a major reach into new territory with ECU.

Adding the University of Houston is pointless; UT and aTm already own this market.  If you are going to add another Texas program, SMU in Dallas/Fort Worth MetroPlex would help reinforce that market, which might be very unnecessary.  Also, Texas Tech’s distance and poor academics would hurt them.  Taking FSU at 15 would be a last ditch effort attempt to grab VT or NC State assuming UNC/UVA/Duke want to stay together in their own conference.  If that fails, Chuck Neinas, now a paid consultant for ECU, will lobby for ECU and remind people they average a little under 50,000 playing in Conference USA and all the upgrades they have been making to their facilities.  The Big 12 teams are off the table unless Slive knows some magic tricks.

I completly agree about ECU. It's not just football. They are really prominent in baseball also. Heck, If the SEC was just to expand for the hell of it. I could see ECU and Houston. The reason for Houston is simple. If you add them you split the state of Texas in half.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 18, 2012, 08:39:25 am
I completly agree about ECU. It's not just football. They are really prominent in baseball also. Heck, If the SEC was just to expand for the hell of it. I could see ECU and Houston. The reason for Houston is simple. If you add them you split the state of Texas in half.

A&M is only about 2 hours from Houston. I can't see what they would add.

Tim Harris

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 18, 2012, 01:03:35 pm
A&M is only about 2 hours from Houston. I can't see what they would add.
They give A&M a instate rival and together they would split the state. Also the upcoming SEC network could charge a dollar of more per month per subscriber.

I'm not saying that Houston should be a top choice. They would be my third choice. After Florida state and East Carolina.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 18, 2012, 01:10:18 pm
They give A&M a instate rival and together they would split the state. Also the upcoming SEC network could charge a dollar of more per month per subscriber.

I'm not saying that Houston should be a top choice. They would be my third choice. After Florida state and East Carolina.

What I'm saying though is A&M already has that part of the state. If you want to expand more in Texas get someone in the metroplex (SMU or TCU) or get someone in west Texas such as Tech.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 18, 2012, 01:23:32 pm
What I'm saying though is A&M already has that part of the state. If you want to expand more in Texas get someone in the metroplex (SMU or TCU) or get someone in west Texas such as Tech.

Don't kid yourself, A&M owns Dallas and east Texas too, especially after this year.

Murr

@thedudeofwv just hit the vein of twitter gold today about recent realignment.
QuoteThe Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
I'm gong to publish some emails about expansion tomorrow. tell the whole damn story.

about how Pitt & WVU had Maryland & BC ready to come back to the Big East.

About how UMD was seriously talking to the Big 12 after ND joined the ACC only to back off because the B10 contacted them.

About how WVU & Pitt had an agreement with the ACC and then UNC & Duke blackballed WVU.

And maybe I'll even reprint a letter from Swofford to WVU with some interesting information about the UNC-Duke gambit.

and I'll share what Duke & NC told WVU & how that made certain people at WVU pledge to see the ACC destroyed.

Don't ever [cesnsored] with WVU.

@TigerFanClint Clements & Luck meet with UNC & Duke & were told WV was just a bunch of inbreed rednecks with no place in the ACC - ever.

@TigerFanClint They told WVU no matter how much academics were improved or what we did on the field we would never get in because we're dumb

so tomorrow when UMD accepts the Big 10 invitation & then the SEC invites VPI & ?? we can all clap at the downfall of the ACC.

@CUTigerRanter Nope.. Clemson & FSU were HUGE supporters of WVU to the ACC.

@AJWinters3 I think FSU goes to SEC because NCST will be forced to stay put.
Tons more in his twitter conversations today.  Here are some other bullets he said:

He sent an email to a FSU sports writer back in September that UMD and Rutgers we next in B1G. (he published a pic)

B1G schools not so thrilled about UMD/RU, might see them go after Miami, Georgia Tech, UVA

B1G officially votes on UMD and Rutgers tomorrow.

Thinks SEC sends invitations after UMD is official to VT and FSU.

Thinks Big 12 sends invite to L'ville to keep from getting shut out of quality teams

Thinks Pitt could possibly end up in Big 12

Thinks Georgia Tech has applied to the B1G.

Tim Harris

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 18, 2012, 02:07:02 pm

Don't kid yourself, A&M owns Dallas and east Texas too, especially after this year.

Agreed. That was more of a point that Houston wouldn't add much if anything. The other areas would have overlap with A&M but IMO they would be better options.

Of course I would prefer to add teams in states that we currently aren't in   

elvis26

;D my top 6 choices of schools to come to the sec: no-car
                                                                            vir-tech
                                                                            fsu
                                                                            no-car-st
                                                                             duke
                                                                             okla
p.s. i believe the sec will send invites to their top 2 choices by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Murr

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 18, 2012, 01:04:03 pm
My top choice is still Oklahoma and UVA/Va Tech.
Might have to wait a decade before offering to OU;  the buyout of the GOR is their value through the remaining years of the TV contracts or roughly $250M give or take.

UVA and VT might be in play.  UVA was talking the B1G earlier this summer in case FSU and Clemson bolted to the Big 12.  Appearently, Georgia Tech is trying to leap from Rutgers for the #14 spot.  Could happen since all the national media verbage is basically Maryland going in at #13 and Rutgers waiting at #14.  Miami and FSU could also be options for the B1G at #15 and #16.  There are some old rumors of the B1G looking at football playing models of 4 divisions of 5 members for a total of 20 teams.

Time to bust out the popcorn.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Murr on November 18, 2012, 05:27:33 pm
Might have to wait a decade before offering to OU;  the buyout of the GOR is their value through the remaining years of the TV contracts or roughly $250M give or take.

UVA and VT might be in play.  UVA was talking the B1G earlier this summer in case FSU and Clemson bolted to the Big 12.  Appearently, Georgia Tech is trying to leap from Rutgers for the #14 spot.  Could happen since all the national media verbage is basically Maryland going in at #13 and Rutgers waiting at #14.  Miami and FSU could also be options for the B1G at #15 and #16.  There are some old rumors of the B1G looking at football playing models of 4 divisions of 5 members for a total of 20 teams.

Time to bust out the popcorn.

I know OU and all other Big 12 teams went off the table as soon as they signed over their TV rights. That was just my preferred setup.

Marat

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 18, 2012, 02:07:02 pm

DFW is Texas and Oklahoma. A&M is a distant third there.

medloh

East Carolina?  Houston?  WTH???!!!

1 acc team from NC and 1 fom VA.  UNC VT would be ideal.  Just need Fla St to bail and destabilize ACC a little more.
"We wish the B12 the best, and all that"

Murr

Murr

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 18, 2012, 08:39:25 am

We're never taking ECU or any other directional school.  Houston's a poor fit as well:  metro school with very little money fanbase, tradition, or academic reputation.

If the SEC is going back to Texas again, I think it'd be SMU over Houston, but I don't think it'll ever be either one, really.  If the SEC is going to expand again, they'll be looking east for an opportunity to rebalance the conference and send Missouri back west.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.