Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year

Started by cram224, January 31, 2018, 07:14:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cram224

It's time to start looking too next year with the great recruiting class coming. We lose all three starting guards. Who will be able to run the dribble, dribble shoot offense that MA loves to run. Who is a ball handling guard that is on the team now that can take over next year? Who in the incoming class has the ball handling skills to beat the opposing teams press? These are real honest questions.

HogBreath

We'll need to be patient and give Mike time to get his players in here.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogBreath on January 31, 2018, 07:17:04 am

Nice!  +1
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

RacinRazorback

Tired of always looking to next year! He has the players to get it done NOW! It amazes me just how good we can look for 12 minutes then look so pitifully lost and bad the next 12! CMA is so stuck on "his" style of play that he is killing this team! I wish we could play the fastest 40 or 40 minutes of hell, but we absolutely can't so why not play some fundamentally sound ball? Rebound, set offensive plays, take care of the ball, play tough defense, just fundamental basketball.

The_Iceman

If Mediocre Mike can't get us to the NCAA Tournament this year, we for sure won't make it next year. So how in the world can you keep a coach going into his 9th season with only 2 NCAA Tournament appearances? 

That's why it would probably be best just to move on from him at the end of this year after he fails to finish strong and make the NCAAT.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 31, 2018, 07:24:07 am
If Mediocre Mike can't get us to the NCAA Tournament this year, we for sure won't make it next year. So how in the world can you keep a coach going into his 9th season with only 2 NCAA Tournament appearances? 

That's why it would probably be best just to move on from him at the end of this year after he fails to finish strong and make the NCAAT.

If we miss the tournament this year and next he will be gone.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 31, 2018, 07:25:38 am
If we miss the tournament this year and next he will be gone.

But why wait for that. If he misses this year, why give him next year when everyone knows he won't make it then either?

HogBreath

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 31, 2018, 07:28:10 am
But why wait for that. If he misses this year, why give him next year when everyone knows he won't make it then either?
Isn't next year supposed to be 1993-II ?  That's why.

If it's not next year , then the next maybe?

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

PharmacistHog

He wasnt gonna be fired this season regardless. Next year is a different story. Hell if he misses this season and next I wouldnt be surprised to see him step away.
Millennials suck...

SemperFi

Quote from: HogBreath on January 31, 2018, 07:17:04 am

Sitting in a meeting and sneaking looks at Hogville and literally LOL'd when I read your post. Thanks!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: cram224 on January 31, 2018, 07:14:11 am
It's time to start looking too next year with the great recruiting class coming. We lose all three starting guards. Who will be able to run the dribble, dribble shoot offense that MA loves to run. Who is a ball handling guard that is on the team now that can take over next year? Who in the incoming class has the ball handling skills to beat the opposing teams press? These are real honest questions.

I expect Mike to shake things up next year. He'll move Gafford to point and finally let Holmes take his rightful spot under the basket.

Arthur pigby sellers.

We lost our one and done when Perry left. The others are good players but I wouldn't expect much from most of them next year.

Big Nasty 34

The only reason to watch next year will be watching the young guys grow. We won't win a ton of games, hopefully get to NIT.

lynbug

What about the contract extension?  Would they really give that if there was any thought that they might buy him out?

Atlhogfan1

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

Class is 6th in the SEC. Right about where we've finished on avg in the conference standings each season (5.67).  Currently 7th in the standings a 1/2 game back of SC. 

Looks like a good class.  Probably good enough with Gafford to make some post season - NIT or bubble.  With how transient college basketball is, we'll see who stays and goes after getting into the lineup/rotation merry go round here. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: lynbug on January 31, 2018, 08:18:38 am
What about the contract extension?  Would they really give that if there was any thought that they might buy him out?

Apparently, that was signed in December and it is more of a formality. The buyout stayed the same and his salary only went up marginally. There is nothing impeding them from firing Mike.

hogsanity

I hear that the 2036 class is looking up, some really great kids born in the last few months. The good news is that some of them are related to Mike or are great grand kids of some of his buddies. Just give Mike time to get them in here. I mean they were all in the 23 inch 9lb range at birth with huge hands. Surely a couple of them will become great dribblers able to run to shot clock down to 2 seconds every time before forcing a shot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

MA should of been fired last season after getting out coached by Kim Anderson of all people. Honestly, what would of changed if Mr. Integrity fired MA? Hogs still wouldn't of got passed the round of 32, all the players who came more likely would still come. And it would of left Perry an easier out to flip then brining up a sick father.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 08:39:00 am
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

Class is 6th in the SEC. Right about where we've finished on avg in the conference standings each season (5.67).  Currently 7th in the standings a 1/2 game back of SC. 

Looks like a good class.  Probably good enough with Gafford to make some post season - NIT or bubble.  With how transient college basketball is, we'll see who stays and goes after getting into the lineup/rotation merry go round here.

If we are on the bubble, I will be ecstatic. Who will be our shotmakers? Gafford should get around 15 a game, but he's gonna have foul trouble games no doubt. CJ and Hall will probably be next, but we really don't have anyone that can just go get a bucket. We have 2 this year and still struggle mightily.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 08:53:53 am
I hear that the 2036 class is looking up, some really great kids born in the last few months. The good news is that some of them are related to Mike or are great grand kids of some of his buddies. Just give Mike time to get them in here. I mean they were all in the 23 inch 9lb range at birth with huge hands. Surely a couple of them will become great dribblers able to run to shot clock down to 2 seconds every time before forcing a shot.
Oh come now...I mean really!  We'll make the dance 2-3, maybe even 4 times or more between now and 2036!

You just focus on your end of things and get something done about all these fast forty hatin' referees!

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 08:39:00 am

How in the world did LSU and Vandy get 5*? Yet every time Hogs seem to be close they get told to shove it. Whatever MA and staff are doing isn't working. Is it money? Is it laziness? Both?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogsanity

Quote from: HogBreath on January 31, 2018, 09:06:48 am
Oh come now...I mean really!  We'll make the dance 2-3, maybe even 4 times or more between now and 2036!

You just focus on your end of things and get something done about all these fast forty hatin' referees!

I'll try, but by 2036 Ill be 66 yrs old ( Holy shnit that was sobering to type ) so I'll probably be off the court by then.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Bailey didn't play and Jones only got 4 minutes. Meanwhile, Hall led the team with 35 minutes played.  Huge statement made. One or two guys may leave at the end of the season.

Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on January 31, 2018, 09:01:52 am
If we are on the bubble, I will be ecstatic. Who will be our shotmakers? Gafford should get around 15 a game, but he's gonna have foul trouble games no doubt. CJ and Hall will probably be next, but we really don't have anyone that can just go get a bucket. We have 2 this year and still struggle mightily.

Offense will be found.  Team should be really athletic.  The PG transfer sitting out will help.  We tend to forget about him.
Will we finally be able to play defense how Mike would want?  With freshmen having to learn it, learning the rotations and the decision making it takes, I doubt it.  Not consistently.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cram224

Seriously, after Beard, Macon and Barford, nobody else ever handles the basketball in the back court. I have not watched any of the incoming freshman play in HS. Who will be able to come in and take over at PG?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: cram224 on January 31, 2018, 09:16:35 am
Seriously, after Beard, Macon and Barford, nobody else ever handles the basketball in the back court. I have not watched any of the incoming freshman play in HS. Who will be able to come in and take over at PG?

Transfer sitting out will be PG.  Jalen Harris from UNM.

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 31, 2018, 09:15:24 am
Bailey didn't play and Jones only got 4 minutes. Meanwhile, Hall led the team with 35 minutes played.  Huge statement made. One or two guys may leave at the end of the season.

Already graduating like 6 guys, and may see another one or 2 leave. HEy another built in excuse for mike " all we have this yr is one soph, 8 fr and a transfer. We need a couple years to teach them what they need to know about our system ".

HogBreath

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 31, 2018, 09:09:21 am
How in the world did LSU and Vandy get 5*? Yet every time Hogs seem to be close they get told to shove it. Whatever MA and staff are doing isn't working. Is it money? Is it laziness? Both?
How do you feel about cold cuts?  And I'm not trying to harp on things either.

Knot2brite

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 09:13:06 am
I'll try, but by 2036 Ill be 66 yrs old ( Holy shnit that was sobering to type ) so I'll probably be off the court by then.
I will be 67....but what I am afraid of is that MA will still be coaching the Hogs because he still hasn't had enough time to get his players
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Letsroll1200

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 31, 2018, 09:15:24 am

CJ Jones and Bailey only need to look in the mirror. They have been given opportunities after opportunity to make a impact this season. Two games ago Bailey was in the starting line up.

I'm excited about next season because we have a lead guard that's similar to Durham. Jones, Gafford, and Joe are going to love playing with a guard that will give them the ball in the right spot. Beard is just not quick and isn't a good passer of the basketball. Hall just need to continue to develop his ball handling skills. His game remains me so much of Qualls his freshman season.

Wardhog85

Really wish people would stop acting like we have some kind of program changing class come . It's barely a top 25 class, it's got 1 top 100 player in it, and we didn't beat any of the big boys for any of the players we signed. It's on par with every other class Anderson has signed.

ArkansasI

If you were a highly-sought basketball player from outside Arkansas being recruited by Mike, would you commit to the Razorbacks?  Name something about Mike's record or his personality that would draw you to the Hill.

The only coach on Mike's staff that inspires confidence is Scotty Thurman.  Scotty was added to the staff last year and had no prior coaching experience.

hogsanity

Because players like that look at Mike's style and think oh heck no.

cram224

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 09:19:45 am
Transfer sitting out will be PG.  Jalen Harris from UNM.
Has anybody seen him play? Our hit rate on transfer is not good. I think Dusty Hannahs turned out good, the rest not so good.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: cram224 on January 31, 2018, 09:36:18 am
Has anybody seen him play? Our hit rate on transfer is not good. I think Dusty Hannahs turned out good, the rest not so good.

Harris was a 50/50 player usually.   What he did well he offset by mistakes.  Did help us win a few games like at UGa.

Miles - no

Thomas - minimal

Paid no attention to New Mexico.  Stat line not impressive from his Fr season.  At least will have a little D1 experience and a year of practice with the program giving time for Fr to get up to speed.  You will get a good sales job on him from a few here. 

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on January 31, 2018, 09:33:48 am
Because players like that look at Mike's style and think oh heck no.
It is pretty obvious..huh.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 31, 2018, 09:29:09 am
CJ Jones and Bailey only need to look in the mirror. They have been given opportunities after opportunity to make a impact this season. Two games ago Bailey was in the starting line up.

I'm excited about next season because we have a lead guard that's similar to Durham. Jones, Gafford, and Joe are going to love playing with a guard that will give them the ball in the right spot. Beard is just not quick and isn't a good passer of the basketball. Hall just need to continue to develop his ball handling skills. His game remains me so much of Qualls his freshman season.

What is your point?

CJ has shown himself to be an amazing shooter of the basketball.  Pretty much a non-factor when the balls aren't going in the basket.  He needs to get stronger and show more desire to play defense.

Bailey is a tremendous athlete that started some last year and this year, but has not seen significant playing time in most games I've watched.  If he's not playing, Mike sees better players around him that deserve time.

The idea that a transfer point guard from New Mexico is going to somehow move the needle with CJ and a freshman is wishful thinking.  What did Jabril Durham do during his time with the Hogs to lead you to believe a similar talent is going to bring Razorback basketball back to prominence?

These players - this team - reflect the talent Mike is able to bring to the Hill.  I have no trouble rooting for them.  However, it is difficult to believe that the future of Razorback basketball will improve under Mike's leadership.  Truth be told, expectations are much lower these days.  Fans show up at the first sign of hope following 20 years of irrelevance.

If we get an NCAA bid, who among us will reasonably argue this team will advance to the Sweet 16?  With 7 seniors on this team.  What expectations do we have next year?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 09:45:25 am
Paid no attention to New Mexico.  Stat line not impressive from his Fr season.  At least will have a little D1 experience and a year of practice with the program giving time for Fr to get up to speed.  You will get a good sales job on him from a few here. 

My hope is that Jalen Harris will be able to get into the lane and kick it out for open looks to Jones and Joe.

hobhog

Question is does HY have the backbone to pull the trigger THIS YEAR. Why do we have to wait for another year of being pissed?

cram224

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 31, 2018, 10:00:21 am
My hope is that Jalen Harris will be able to get into the lane and kick it out for open looks to Jones and Joe.

Watched the highlight reel. Has anybody said anything about what he is doing in practice, how he looks?

HogBreath

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 31, 2018, 09:55:46 am

Bailey is a tremendous athlete that started some last year and this year, but has not seen significant playing time in most games I've watched. 

If he's not playing, Mike sees better players around him that deserve time.

Cook started last nite, so that pretty much knocks your theory in the head.

ArkansasI

Quote from: HogBreath on January 31, 2018, 10:18:24 am
Cook started last nite, so that pretty much knocks your theory in the head.

I suspect you're just having fun, but I think Cook is a serviceable player.

Mike frustrates me most in that he doesn't appear to me to take full advantage of our depth.  I don't see a lot of difference in quality of players after Macon, Barford and Gafford.  For that reason, I'd would forego the token pressure we apply and go full tilt press - and let everybody play - even Osabuohein.

HogBreath

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 31, 2018, 10:52:47 am
I suspect you're just having fun, but I think Cook is a serviceable player.

Mike frustrates me most in that he doesn't appear to me to take full advantage of our depth.  I don't see a lot of difference in quality of players after Macon, Barford and Gafford.  For that reason, I'd would forego the token pressure we apply and go full tilt press - and let everybody play - even Osabuohein.
Actually some good ideas and analysis you have here.  If you're gonna be a bear..be a grizzly.

Or maybe more in line with the CMA vernacular, if you like whuppin up on bears, fight the grizzlies.

He could even borrow from the Coach Morris philosophy...full tilt boogie, hammer down.

jvanhorn

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 31, 2018, 07:18:13 am
Nice!  +1

You mean in 7 years he hasn't managed to get his players in here?  Whose players are these?

Paul

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 31, 2018, 07:21:56 am
Tired of always looking to next year! He has the players to get it done NOW! It amazes me just how good we can look for 12 minutes then look so pitifully lost and bad the next 12! CMA is so stuck on "his" style of play that he is killing this team! I wish we could play the fastest 40 or 40 minutes of hell, but we absolutely can't so why not play some fundamentally sound ball? Rebound, set offensive plays, take care of the ball, play tough defense, just fundamental basketball.
cause nobody knows how

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 31, 2018, 09:15:32 am
Offense will be found.  Team should be really athletic.  The PG transfer sitting out will help.  We tend to forget about him.
Will we finally be able to play defense how Mike would want?  With freshmen having to learn it, learning the rotations and the decision making it takes, I doubt it.  Not consistently.   

I remember Harris, he should definitely be starting PG next year. We will have a lot of athleticism, no doubt. Will just be very young and struggle quite a bit.

texas tush hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 31, 2018, 08:45:45 am
Apparently, that was signed in December and it is more of a formality. The buyout stayed the same and his salary only went up marginally. There is nothing impeding them from firing Mike.

He ain't going anywhere. Give it up.

HawgHeadCheese

I've seen film on Harris he can definitely handle the basketball if he is a above average passer we will be a good team. A dribble drive and kick point guard is the only thing stopping our current team from being better. Macon is actually looking better and better at the lead guard but has no spot up shooters to get the ball to.

Dirty

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 01, 2018, 08:47:58 am

He ain't going anywhere. Give it up.

No he is not but it's nice to know it will piss a lot of folks off here!  😂

JayHog

Quote from: cram224 on January 31, 2018, 09:36:18 am

Seems like I recall people saying he looked terrible in our Red/White scrimmage. But maybe his game was just off that day