Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year

Started by cram224, January 31, 2018, 07:14:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JayHog

In the Red/White game, Jalen Harris only made 1 shot in 5 attempts, and finished the game with only 1 assist and 5 fouls.
So, 1 fg, 1 assist, 5 fouls.  Our point guard of the future, ladies and gentlemen

raz1965

One thing we know, Mike did not get a extension this late in the game to be sent packing at seasons end. Looking forward to seeing what the new guys bring to the court, alone with Bailey an Gaffords second srason., of course the highly regarded Garland.

The_Iceman

Quote from: JayHog on February 01, 2018, 11:50:28 am
In the Red/White game, Jalen Harris only made 1 shot in 5 attempts, and finished the game with only 1 assist and 5 fouls.
So, 1 fg, 1 assist, 5 fouls.  Our point guard of the future, ladies and gentlemen

Are you really basing that on the frickin Red White game? How many red white games have we seen players go for 20+, then can't make a dang shot the entire year.

Look at some of his bright spots his freshman year at New Mexico, where he had games of:

- 13 pts and 4 asts
- 15 pts, 9 rebs, 4 asts, and 3 stls
- 4 pts, 3 rebs, 8 asts, 2 stls
- 11 pts, 3 rebs, 4 asts

He was a freshman last year and played like one. But like Hall, you saw the flashes that showed what he can do in the future. After a year of development and watching, if expect him to be a solid contributor next year, if not a starter.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 31, 2018, 08:45:45 am
Apparently, that was signed in December and it is more of a formality. The buyout stayed the same and his salary only went up marginally. There is nothing impeding them from firing Mike.

Well I know that common sense and logic don't count for much on Hogville but I think those are the two main things impeding them from firing Mike.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 01, 2018, 03:36:06 pm
Well I know that common sense and logic don't count for much on Hogville but I think those are the two main things impeding them from firing Mike.

Emotion and Nostalgia will be the thing that keep Mike from getting Fired if Mike misses the tournament. If he does, his record will be:

Mike Anderson (7 seasons)
- 2 NCAA Tournament Appearances
- 2 Second Round Exits
- 143 and 81 overall. 64-51 in SEC (currently)
- missed the tournament in final year while projecting to miss it again the next.

For comparison, Nolan's Final 7 seasons that got him fired:
- 5 NCAA Appearances
- Sweet 16 in 1996
- 2nd Round exits in 98 and 99
- 1st Round exits in 00 and 01
- SEC Tournament Champions in 2000

Mike's program is stuck in MEDIOCRITY. He is doing worse than Nolan's Final 7 years. He is staring back to back NCAA misses in year 7 and 8 of his tenure. Why should he be retained as coach? Please explain....

Sivad

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 31, 2018, 09:31:21 am
If you were a highly-sought basketball player from outside Arkansas being recruited by Mike, would you commit to the Razorbacks? 
Name something about Mike's record or his personality that would draw you to the Hill.
Nostalgia for the pre-whacko/lazy days of Nolan Richardson.

daprospecta

Quote from: Wardhog85 on January 31, 2018, 09:29:17 am
Really wish people would stop acting like we have some kind of program changing class come . It's barely a top 25 class, it's got 1 top 100 player in it, and we didn't beat any of the big boys for any of the players we signed. It's on par with every other class Anderson has signed.
Are you serious? Barely top 25.  If we have a top 25 class in football, our fans do backflips and Mike has to compete against 3 times the amount of coaches for his recruits.  Jump Ball is just despicable now. You have a problem with the way we are playing? I get it. I do as well at times but you like idiots when you start bashing our very good recruiting class just because you don't like our coach.  So much negativity, some of you must have miserable lives.

navyhog24

As long as Anton Beard, Dustin Thomas, and Arlando Cook aren't suiting up anymore I'll be happy. I'd rather watch freshmen that play with hunger and make freshmen mistakes than seniors that play like they don't give a darn and have their heads so far up their rearends.

raz1965

Not gonna bash any players but the ole saying about leading a horse to water but you can't make him drink seems to apply sometimes I stil think this team can get it together an do much better.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 01, 2018, 05:07:29 pm
As long as Anton Beard, Dustin Thomas, and Arlando Cook aren't suiting up anymore I'll be happy. I'd rather watch freshmen that play with hunger and make freshmen mistakes than seniors that play like they don't give a darn and have their heads so far up their rearends.
I can't lie I like Dustin Thomas. Even though I know he hasn't put together many good games I know he has the talent. I believe he is the key to how good or bad we finish.

okrazorback

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 31, 2018, 09:27:50 am
I will be 67....but what I am afraid of is that MA will still be coaching the Hogs because he still hasn't had enough time to get his players

I will be 98. Am I the oldest on this board

TheRazorback500

We could actually be a better "team" next year. There seems to be too many egos on this one to play team ball consistently enough to have success and win games. If Harris pans out at PG and the young talent comes together, we could surprise some folks.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

jvanhorn

Quote from: HogBreath on January 31, 2018, 07:17:04 am
We'll need to be patient and give Mike time to get his players in here.

Whose players have been here for the last six years?

jvanhorn

Quote from: daprospecta on February 01, 2018, 05:00:55 pm
Are you serious? Barely top 25.  If we have a top 25 class in football, our fans do backflips and Mike has to compete against 3 times the amount of coaches for his recruits.  Jump Ball is just despicable now. You have a problem with the way we are playing? I get it. I do as well at times but you like idiots when you start bashing our very good recruiting class just because you don't like our coach.  So much negativity, some of you must have miserable lives.

Well, lets put it this way.  The next class or two is as good as it is ever going to get with Mike Anderson, so by year 10! we should know how it is going to be with him, good or bad.

HogBreath

Quote from: jvanhorn on February 01, 2018, 07:39:21 pm
Well, lets put it this way.  The next class or two is as good as it is ever going to get with Mike Anderson, so by year 10! we should know how it is going to be with him, good or bad.
Well, you know, we can't just get these great classes in here and expect them to hit the ground running, it will take time for them to jell and learn all the many,many ins and outs of operating Mike's very complicated, but glorious and beloved, fast forty system.

In another 5-6 seasons, we'll be dancing every year, March madness will be running amok.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Rbill

Smite me if you want, but I am exhausted with how poorly this team meshes and plays together. I am willing to bet the farm that next year will be addition by subtraction, I don't care how good Macon and Barford can shoot the 3.

Wardhog85

Well, there is nothing miserable about my life, and I don't dislike Mike at all. It's not a program changing class. It's ranked #24 in the country. It has one top 100 player. Those are facts. While there might be 3 times as many teams playing d-1 basketball, we're not battling most of those teams for recruits. You can't compare basketball recruiting to football recruiting. One player can turn a basketball program around. It doesn't work like that in football.

razorpimp

Huge difference in the quantity and quality of players produced in Arkansas between football and basketball....apples and oranges bro....

steveaustin69

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 31, 2018, 08:58:56 am
MA should of been fired last season after getting out coached by Kim Anderson of all people. Honestly, what would of changed if Mr. Integrity fired MA? Hogs still wouldn't of got passed the round of 32, all the players who came more likely would still come. And it would of left Perry an easier out to flip then brining up a sick father.

u dunt spill r right gud

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 31, 2018, 07:21:56 am
Tired of always looking to next year! He has the players to get it done NOW! It amazes me just how good we can look for 12 minutes then look so pitifully lost and bad the next 12! CMA is so stuck on "his" style of play that he is killing this team! I wish we could play the fastest 40 or 40 minutes of hell, but we absolutely can't so why not play some fundamentally sound ball? Rebound, set offensive plays, take care of the ball, play tough defense, just fundamental basketball.

I am a big believer in having a leader on the floor at the PG spot.  We do not have one.  Blame Mike.  We have way too many guys on this team who are CGs and who think when a shot needs to be made it is up to them to create instead of a PG saying give me the ball and I will set up who is open.  I see many times a CG will get the ball and dribble around for 15 seconds just to create a bad shot for themselves while every one else on the floor are standing around watching.   I am a big believer to be really good you need a very good unselfish PG leading your team. 

raz1965

Basketball is about players, bottom line, this current team may well impress before the last bell sounds, if not next year could well be much better still. Player are responsible for getting the ball through the hoop, simple fact the teams that scores most wins. Improvement at the free throw line could add wins. When Arkansas shoots well they win.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 31, 2018, 02:48:23 pm
You mean in 7 years he hasn't managed to get his players in here?  Whose players are these?

Why are you quoting me?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Davidr295

You realize that there are way  more d1 basketball programs than football right???

hobhog

Quote from: okrazorback on February 01, 2018, 06:58:57 pm
I will be 98. Am I the oldest on this board

You just might be! Congrats sir!

Be interested to hear your thoughts on MAs future here at UA since you have experienced more than most on here....

hobhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2018, 04:06:09 pm
Emotion and Nostalgia will be the thing that keep Mike from getting Fired if Mike misses the tournament. If he does, his record will be:

Mike Anderson (7 seasons)
- 2 NCAA Tournament Appearances
- 2 Second Round Exits
- 143 and 81 overall. 64-51 in SEC (currently)
- missed the tournament in final year while projecting to miss it again the next.

For comparison, Nolan's Final 7 seasons that got him fired:
- 5 NCAA Appearances
- Sweet 16 in 1996
- 2nd Round exits in 98 and 99
- 1st Round exits in 00 and 01
- SEC Tournament Champions in 2000

Mike's program is stuck in MEDIOCRITY. He is doing worse than Nolan's Final 7 years. He is staring back to back NCAA misses in year 7 and 8 of his tenure. Why should he be retained as coach? Please explain....

Hard to argue with any of this. Hogs could be an annual top 20, if not top 10 program with right man at the helm. MAs buyout is not that big in grand scheme of things considering what the the right hire could bring. There is nothing in MAs past showing he can consistently improve what he has done.....

steveaustin69

Quote from: hobhog on February 02, 2018, 08:47:11 am
Hard to argue with any of this. Hogs could be an annual top 20, if not top 10 program with right man at the helm. MAs buyout is not that big in grand scheme of things considering what the the right hire could bring. There is nothing in MAs past showing he can consistently improve what he has done.....

lol

daprospecta

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 08:37:18 am
You realize that there are way  more d1 basketball programs than football right???
Yes, that is why I said Mike has to compete with 3X the amount of coaches.  347 D1 basketball programs vs 128 D1 football programs.

daprospecta

Quote from: hobhog on February 02, 2018, 08:47:11 am
You guys have truly lost it. Top 20 every year? Kentucky is struggling to stay ranked and we should be top 10.  So many of you don't know the landscape of college basketball right now. 

Wardhog85

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 10:25:05 am
Yes, that is why I said Mike has to compete with 3X the amount of coaches.  347 D1 basketball programs vs 128 D1 football programs.
Cmon man. We should be competing with about 55-60 teams for recruits. If we're trying to beat half of those schools for players, we got problems.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RacinRazorback on January 31, 2018, 07:21:56 am
Tired of always looking to next year! He has the players to get it done NOW! It amazes me just how good we can look for 12 minutes then look so pitifully lost and bad the next 12! CMA is so stuck on "his" style of play that he is killing this team! I wish we could play the fastest 40 or 40 minutes of hell, but we absolutely can't so why not play some fundamentally sound ball? Rebound, set offensive plays, take care of the ball, play tough defense, just fundamental basketball.

That would be like Houston Nutt not being a rah-rah motivational driven coach.  Impossible.  What you're suggesting here will NEVER happen. 

When you compare them...it's eerily similar to the stubborness of Bret Bielema.  He has a system, he knows it works, and it's coming together.  Sound familiar? 

Adapt and overcome...not even in his universe, much less his Thesaurus. 

Again...what's different with MA than Nolan.  NOTHING.  It's the same, but Nolan had better players on campus at the same time more often.  Period.  I have absolutely no doubt that MA's system can work, but you still have to have superior players more on par with a KY in terms of talent. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 07:55:32 am

I am a big believer in having a leader on the floor at the PG spot.  We do not have one.  Blame Mike.  We have way too many guys on this team who are CGs and who think when a shot needs to be made it is up to them to create instead of a PG saying give me the ball and I will set up who is open.  I see many times a CG will get the ball and dribble around for 15 seconds just to create a bad shot for themselves while every one else on the floor are standing around watching.   I am a big believer to be really good you need a very good unselfish PG leading your team.

THIS, a thousand times this.  ^^^   It not only hurts us on offense, but on defense EVERY other team seemingly has a ball handler than can take ANY of our players off the dribble like they are hung up.  It's a double ouch...offense and defense. 

Does anyone remember Beck as being a great shooter or scorer?  Mayberry could do both, but Beck was just deadly on defense, and on offense, he made it go. 

Because we're low on scorers, just replace Beard with Mayberry.  That COMPLETELY changes the dynamic of this team, because now you have both Barford and Macon available as two other threats.  Add a power forward who can score, and add Beck...then you have something. 

BUT...that is on MA.  Those guys are out there...we just have to get one, and for whatever reason...he has failed to do that. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hobhog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 10:27:13 am
You guys have truly lost it. Top 20 every year? Kentucky is struggling to stay ranked and we should be top 10.  So many of you don't know the landscape of college basketball right now.

Your attitude is exactly the problem with MA supporters. You just assume and accept average basketball and think that's the best we can do, when proof of the opposite is all over the country at programs less traditional and financially stable than ours. Expecting top 20 basketball is a reality that has happened here and will again. But accepting mediocrity and making excuses for it doesn't make you smarter, just complacent. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 10:25:05 am

Surely you don't think its more difficult to recruit a good basketball team than football.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

daprospecta

Quote from: hobhog on February 02, 2018, 11:03:45 am
Your attitude is exactly the problem with MA supporters. You just assume and accept average basketball and think that's the best we can do, when proof of the opposite is all over the country at programs less traditional and financially stable than ours. Expecting top 20 basketball is a reality that has happened here and will again. But accepting mediocrity and making excuses for it doesn't make you smarter, just complacent. 
I'm a MA supporter(as you should be) who can also recognize his faults.  I don't disagree with everything said here but if you think we should be top 20 every year, you aren't paying attention.  Florida won back to back championships in 06 and 07 and are struggling to stay top 20.  Kentucky is always making elite 8's and they are struggling to stay top 20.  We haven't made a sweet 16 since 1995 and we are supposed to be top 20 every year? Based on what? Because we have a new practice facility? 

daprospecta

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 02, 2018, 11:09:31 am
Surely you don't think its more difficult to recruit a good basketball team than football.
To have the type of teams hogville thinks we should have? Yes. Some think we should be in the sweet 16 or better every year and rarely lose road games.  Well, you need good-great talent at every position and good bench players.  Basically, a team full of 4 and 5 stars. That is tough to nearly impossible.

razorpimp

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 11:15:49 am
To have the type of teams hogville thinks we should have? Yes. Some think we should be in the sweet 16 or better every year and rarely lose road games.  Well, you need good-great talent at every position and good bench players.  Basically, a team full of 4 and 5 stars. That is tough to nearly impossible.

That isn't true but keep repeating it and maybe some will believe it.  Do you think Arkansas should get to AT LEAST ONE sweet 16 every 5 years?  I do, don't think that is too much to ask, well Mike still hasn't done that in 6 years and a basketball program can be turned around in 2 years!  And I think it isn't too much to ask to not get blown out on the road and keep it close in most games.

razorpimp

I actually have a little hope for next season after watching Hall's growth and knowing Gafford should come back for next season plus an actual real PG.....

I think the team will not win as many games but will play much harder than these seniors....

PharmacistHog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 11:15:49 am

I think we should hardly ever miss the tournament and should have a decent run every few years. We'll never be top 20 every year, but certainly have the resources to do better than we have recently.

The OTR

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 02, 2018, 11:29:00 am
I think we should hardly ever miss the tournament and should have a decent run every few years. We'll never be top 20 every year, but certainly have the resources to do better than we have recently.

Logical (for once from you) thinking and I agree completely.  Joe wouldn't but I would. Who would you rather have your side?

thebignasty

We have tourney talent this year.  If we don't make it, I'll start bitching.

hogsanity

Quote from: razorpimp on February 02, 2018, 11:21:05 am
I actually have a little hope for next season after watching Hall's growth and knowing Gafford should come back for next season plus an actual real PG.....

I think the team will not win as many games but will play much harder than these seniors....

The question with Harris is will Mike allow him to be an actual PG?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rude1

Next year's theme will be, "Give them time, they are young"!!!!! At what point can we expect actual results, you know things like consistent top 25 ranking, playing for decent seed instead of struggling to stay ahead of the bubble, staying in and winning road games, and competing for conference title instead locked in battle for middle of the pack?

Atlhogfan1

Is the job too tough for Mike?

As far as expectations, I think the program should have the national relevancy and respect the baseball program does.

Is there a more brutally competitive and deep conference situation as SEC baseball in all of NCAA sports?  Maybe some hockey conference or lacrosse.   In 15 seasons, DVH has been to 14 NCAATs with 4 trips to the CWS and 1 loss in a Super.  Some seasons we haven't gotten out of a regional.  Even choked once or twice.  Had some disagreements among our fan base about assistants (hitting coach) in the past.  Haven't played for a NC yet.  Hasn't been perfect.But we move past it and think little of it because it is a part of the game.  It happens just as getting upset in the NCAAT happens.  The program and staff have achieved so much that the respect carries them past any down moments. 

The divide here is some believe our basketball program should be similar.  Rarely missing the NCAAT.  Rarely worried in February about missing it.  Asking for Sw16 every season isn't reasonable.  Having teams who show they are capable of getting there most seasons including NCAAT seeding isn't unreasonable.  The program is not even relevant right now.  Big 12 SEC Challenge saw Bama, Fl and UK get the premiere matchups and exposure.  We were relegated to a rematch with a mediocre and shorthanded OSU on one of the secondary networks.  No reason whatsoever Arkansas basketball shouldn't be with Florida right behind UK in everything associated with SEC basketball.  I'm even being generous by including Florida as they really couldn't give a darn if they are good in basketball as long as football is where it should be for them.  I think if you are in this group of fans, it is hard to stay connected, interested and enthusiastic about the program as it currently is. 

The other group appears to either be ok with it now for whatever reasons or are scared we'll fall back to post-Nolan level.  Which we are still just as irrelevant now as then. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Quote from: rude1 on February 02, 2018, 11:56:38 am
At what point can we expect actual results,

2 or 3 seasons after Mike is not the coach.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rude1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2018, 11:58:52 am
2 or 3 seasons after Mike is not the coach.
It is hard to dispute that given the results thus far. Unfortunately he just seems to have a penchant for doing just enough to stick around.

Filthy_McSwine

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 31, 2018, 02:48:23 pm
You mean in 7 years he hasn't managed to get his players in here?  Whose players are these?

Do you even sarcasm, bro???

hobhog

Anyone else notice the Chris Beard articles on front page of ADG sports lately? Wally's subtle hints?

cram224

Has anybody seen any return on investment since the completion of the new practice facility? This was sold as the only thing lacking in taking our program to the next level.

The_Iceman

Quote from: cram224 on February 02, 2018, 02:24:49 pm
Has anybody seen any return on investment since the completion of the new practice facility? This was sold as the only thing lacking in taking our program to the next level.

I will say this: We have not had a bad recruiting class since the completion of the practice facility.

Paul

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 31, 2018, 09:15:24 am
Bailey didn't play and Jones only got 4 minutes. Meanwhile, Hall led the team with 35 minutes played.  Huge statement made. One or two guys may leave at the end of the season.
So in your opinion was it 1) faulty evaluation of recruits,  2) failure to develop  or 3) both?