Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Arkansas continue its style of play?

Started by Piglet, February 02, 2018, 03:19:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet

I used to get frustrated with Nolan's and then Mike's style of play.  They would substitute 4-5 players when it seemed the team got on a roll in a game.  But over the years I have come to understand a little better what they were doing.  They focus on managing the number of minutes the best players are in the game.  This pays off in fresher legs at the end of the game and also at the end of the season, plus it develops the bench.  A definite advantage at the end of games and in the last half of the season.

This year I don't see the same substitution patterns.  Macon and Barford are playing too many minutes.  Darius Hall seems to be the only bench player that is improving.  They don't seem to have an energy advantage at the end of most games.

I see a couple possible reasons for this.  First the team is short on guards and the strongest lineup is usually with 3 guards in the game.  Second, the league is so much better this year.  Mike can't substitute as normal because they lose too much ground with more than a couple of bench players in the game. 

As we get into the last half of the season will this begin to show up?   Will the team have the legs and energy to play their style as the season takes its toll?  I personally think they will have to go to more zone defense in the last half of the season.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

3of5-2

The league is average, maybe from top to bottom they are better, but they are all about the same. Fatigue has already shown up, among other things. They can and will continue this style of play, it's all they know. They could win the SECt, and win a game in the NCAAt, and who knows what can happen after that.

maxhog5

It is already showing up with the inability to put two halves together and the slump Macon has gone through and Barford is currently in.  I think Beard's legs are gone also while Gafford may be hitting the freshman wall.

PharmacistHog

Too many timeouts and play reviews. We aren't able to wear anybody down. Couple that to the handcheck rules and our style is no longer as effective as in the early 90's.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

daprospecta

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 02, 2018, 03:31:07 pm
The league is average, maybe from top to bottom they are better, but they are all about the same. Fatigue has already shown up, among other things. They can and will continue this style of play, it's all they know. They could win the SECt, and win a game in the NCAAt, and who knows what can happen after that.
I wouldn't call it average. Every sports article/channel I see has the SEC as the second or best conference in college basketball. I agree with everything you said.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 04:12:56 pm
I wouldn't call it average. Every sports article/channel I see has the SEC as the second or best conference in college basketball. I agree with everything you said.

I just dont understand what that means exactly. What makes the SEC the best/second best? 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

daprospecta

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 02, 2018, 04:20:45 pm
I just dont understand what that means exactly. What makes the SEC the best/second best? 
I think they take into account RPI across the board and how competitive they've been against other top conferences.

Paul

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 02, 2018, 04:11:26 pm
Too many timeouts and play reviews. We aren't able to wear anybody down. Couple that to the handcheck rules and our style is no longer as effective as in the early 90's.
Yep.  It was novel over 20 yrs ago.  Most successful teams that like to run have a half court game also.  It's a must in close games & come tournament time.   

Inhogswetrust

Sure they can continue their style of play. All the way to the scene of the crash.

My apologies to Ron White.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

26.2Hog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 04:12:56 pm

CBSSports has the SEC ranked 3rd.

ESPN BPI ranks SEC 5th.

Which ones have the SEC ranked 1st? And 2nd?

okrazorback

Quote from: Piglet on February 02, 2018, 03:19:31 pm
I used to get frustrated with Nolan's and then Mike's style of play.  They would substitute 4-5 players when it seemed the team got on a roll in a game.  But over the years I have come to understand a little better what they were doing.  They focus on managing the number of minutes the best players are in the game.  This pays off in fresher legs at the end of the game and also at the end of the season, plus it develops the bench.  A definite advantage at the end of games and in the last half of the season.

This year I don't see the same substitution patterns.  Macon and Barford are playing too many minutes.  Darius Hall seems to be the only bench player that is improving.  They don't seem to have an energy advantage at the end of most games.

I see a couple possible reasons for this.  First the team is short on guards and the strongest lineup is usually with 3 guards in the game.  Second, the league is so much better this year.  Mike can't substitute as normal because they lose too much ground with more than a couple of bench players in the game. 

As we get into the last half of the season will this begin to show up?   Will the team have the legs and energy to play their style as the season takes its toll?  I personally think they will have to go to more zone defense in the last half of the season.

Also we are missing Nolan.

daprospecta

Quote from: 26.2Hog on February 02, 2018, 04:45:42 pm
CBSSports has the SEC ranked 3rd.

ESPN BPI ranks SEC 5th.

Which ones have the SEC ranked 1st? And 2nd?
Sorry, I meant 2nd or 3rd. Not the best.

GoHogs1091

Nope.

Other Head Coaches have figured out how to attack our supposed trapping defense.

Also, other Head Coaches have decided to take advantage of our 2 major weaknesses, which are a staple of a Mike Anderson coached team;

Other Head Coaches have decided to take advantage of rebounding (Anderson probably also feels like Nolan did that rebounding is overrated).
Other Head Coaches have decided to focus on shooting 3 pointers due to our sieve perimeter defense.

Section B

Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

maxhog5

What Nolan knew how to do was put a team together.  I'm not talking about the BS that he won because of all the great talent he recruited.  He knew how to put together the team he needed to play.  Up until he missed with the Teddy Gipson, Brandon Dean class, he always had 2 or 3 stars surrounded by people who could play his style and contribute as well as come off the bench and play.  There were no holes and they went 10-11 deep.  In 7 years, Anderson has never managed to put together a complete team.  He has yet to recruit a solid point guard and transfers Harris and Clarke are the only positive contributors we've seen at the 4 spot.

Kevin

this year it is not about the style. it is about the consistent (or lack thereof)  effort to play any defense. cma has tried to press, play 1/2 court man & zone. this group of players have shown no interest to play defense over a full 40 minute game.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

twistitup

we have no choice - it's who we are

if we would play some f------ D , we would be ok
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Nickle-Pig

I honestly don't see a style. I thought I did at the beginning of the season but we look like a different team every game now. I don't think we know who we are we even have sharks and dogs for fans now.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.