13. Chase Hayden: Tennessee, Florida, Michigan, Louisville, and others
14. Kamren Curl: OU, TCU, Texas, Nebraska, Ole Miss, and others
15. Maleek Barkley: Michigan St, Arizona, Illinois, and others
16. Jarrod Barnes: Arkansas only offer
17. Koilan Jackson: Illinois, Memphis, ULM
18. Jarques McClellion: Florida, Michigan St, Louisville, Kentucky, and others
19. Devion Warren: Colorado St
20. Derrick Munson: Louisville
21. David Porter: Colorado St, Kansas St, Iowa St, I think Texas offered as well
22. Jordan Curtis: Kansas St, Iowa St, Texas Tech, and others
23. Josh Paul: Ole Miss, Mississippi St, and others
24. Melvin Johnson: Kentucky, Iowa St, Toledo

colbs

As you can see almost everyone has another P5 offer besides Arkansas. Koilan Jackson and Barnes would have probably had more offers if they didn't commit so early. 

Bubba's Bruisers

I believe the offer sheet is the most reliable predictor of success.  Always exceptions, but I think it's generally the rule.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jgphillips3

Quote from: colbs on February 02, 2017, 11:31:29 am
As you can see almost everyone has another P5 offer besides Arkansas. Koilan Jackson and Barnes would have probably had more offers if they didn't commit so early. 

Koilan has been very overlooked.  He has the look of one of those 3 stars that were undervalued and will play on Sunday.  We say it all the time, but this may be the kid who is a 4 or 5 star quality after a year or two in the program.

colbs

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 02, 2017, 11:38:21 am
I believe the offer sheet is the most reliable predictor of success.  Always exceptions, but I think it's generally the rule.
Same here.  Overall maybe not an amazing offer lists but very solid especially at positions of need.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

tophawg19

good post and another one that deserves to be stickied for a bit.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ifghog

Hogdomer

Fisher also had a Texas offer.

Huds_HawgTide

Munson and Barnes would of had a lot also didn't saban go see Barnes
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hogdomer on February 02, 2017, 06:12:39 pm
Fisher also had a Texas offer.

Did Texas really offer?  For some reason I thought they were just talking to him and considering an offer.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 02, 2017, 08:09:34 pm
Did Texas really offer?  For some reason I thought they were just talking to him and considering an offer.

They brought him on an official. But I'm positive he didn't have an offer

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 02, 2017, 08:09:34 pm

Texas offered everyone at the end, not sure about back in December.

theshiva

A major test of BB's talent evaluation will be with the 3 Oline signees. Offer list and rankings don't blow you away, but the coaches seem to be very excited for them. Will be interesting to see who's going to be right on those.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: theshiva on February 03, 2017, 11:05:23 am
A major test of BB's talent evaluation will be with the 3 Oline signees. Offer list and rankings don't blow you away, but the coaches seem to be very excited for them. Will be interesting to see who's going to be right on those.
I posted in the Lemming thread he said he expects Wagner to be an All-American, I like that coming from him.

My question marks are Nance and Barnes. I have seen nothing on Nance that says SEC and the offer list backs that up. Barnes is an athlete without a position ala Mitchell? We will see.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 03, 2017, 11:36:52 am
I posted in the Lemming thread he said he expects Wagner to be an All-American, I like that coming from him.

My question marks are Nance and Barnes. I have seen nothing on Nance that says SEC and the offer list backs that up. Barnes is an athlete without a position ala Mitchell? We will see.

Barnes played QB, but just as easily could have been a RB or WR, in fact played RB after he broke his hand. He is electric with the ball in his hands, to me he's like Hammonds, without the offers.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 11:56:03 am
Barnes played QB, but just as easily could have been a RB or WR, in fact played RB after he broke his hand. He is electric with the ball in his hands, to me he's like Hammonds, without the offers.
Not usual for you to hype anyone so you must be a believer, I don't question the offer, I just question is he going to find a position to contribute. The Nance one raises an eyebrow for me, conduit to Martin?

yraciv

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 02, 2017, 11:38:21 am

I struggle with that thought process. Yes one would think this, but sometimes you get steals because he is a miraculous qualifier that no one wanted to touch academically.  Sometimes it's an in state prospect like Barnes who committed early, so other schools never really bothered. And most importantly you get a prospect who reports all these offers, yet he is a C level target for some of them, so he isn't in a position to commit. 

Michigan reportedly offered 308 players this year, and already 162 next year.  I really doubt all of them are high on their radar, but it's better to get the offer in first just in case.

colbs

They think Nance will compete right away for a starting spot.  His injury could have to do with his lack of offers.  I talked to Enos last night and Barnes was the first WR he brought up besides Martin and Nance.  He is probably a RS guy but he is quick.

smb

Good Post thanks for the info.
GeorgiaHOG

In my opinion, this group of signees is better than their ranking for us. Considering all the pros and cons, except for maybe the D-line, I believe we got a pretty decent group. 

Now that we got the recruits we got, the next most important job is to build some serious second team players.  90 percent of what we play as 2nds, is just about as bad as just leaving the particular spot open and just running that play with 10 players.  This is not the players fault.  TRAINING, CONDITIONING, MENTAL CONDITIONNG AND EXPERIENCE IN REAL GAME SITUATIONS WHERE THE PLAYER BELIEVES HE HAS A GAME CHANGING MOMENT ON HIS HANDS are the ways to get some 2nd team assistance.  It is a must that in those, we hope, runaway OOC games that our seconds play many plays and are expected to deliver, not just run out the clock.  Even BAMA'S starters, when in for way too many plays, can be handled.  With our Guys, its a cinch we lose if our starters must play 99.5 percent of the meaningful plays.

tophawg19

Barnes and Warren will fill a Joe Adams , Devon Hester type roll for us .Barnes as a slot WR that is moved around and KR man . Warren can be a WR or DB and a KR as well. Several of our recruits have had good success returning kicks , so there is hope in that area .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: yraciv on February 03, 2017, 12:13:35 pm
I struggle with that thought process. Yes one would think this, but sometimes you get steals because he is a miraculous qualifier that no one wanted to touch academically.  Sometimes it's an in state prospect like Barnes who committed early, so other schools never really bothered. And most importantly you get a prospect who reports all these offers, yet he is a C level target for some of them, so he isn't in a position to commit. 

Michigan reportedly offered 308 players this year, and already 162 next year.  I really doubt all of them are high on their radar, but it's better to get the offer in first just in case.

Except you're arguing the exceptions, which is the primary argument on this board.  Yes, "sometimes" it certainly doesn't provide an accurate prediction.  But on the whole, I think the offer sheet is the most telling thing.  The most reliable predictor in general.

Historically our classes have had mediocre offer sheets.  And that's largely been confirmed on the field.  Our record in the SEC confirms it.

This class has a pretty decent offer sheet.  Somewhat across the board.

Bubba's Bruisers

Not to derail, but can someone clarify...

1.  Who are the blue shirts?  It's all run together for me.  I know Henry and I think Richardson.  I think Porter actually got a scholarship now, but I just don't recall prieces of the puzzle.

2.  Also, what positions are Richardson and Porter projected to play?  DE or OLB?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 04, 2017, 10:37:35 am
1) Ty Clary, OL from Fayetteville is the other. Yes, Porter wasn't eligible for a blue shirt because he went to the same school as Koilan Jackson, so when CBB went to visit, that technically made him "recruited".

2) Richardson will be more of a standup, on the line OLB. I think Porter will end up growing a bit more and play DE. He's 6-3, 240 right now with really long arms, but his dad is reported to be 6-8 and he just turned 17 last month, so he's still extremely young. He'll have gone through a semester of college and a season (likely on scout team) before he can buy a lottery ticket...

Yes, Clary.  Thanks.

ricepig

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 04, 2017, 10:37:35 am
1) Ty Clary, OL from Fayetteville is the other. Yes, Porter wasn't eligible for a blue shirt because he went to the same school as Koilan Jackson, so when CBB went to visit, that technically made him "recruited".

2) Richardson will be more of a standup, on the line OLB. I think Porter will end up growing a bit more and play DE. He's 6-3, 240 right now with really long arms, but his dad is reported to be 6-8 and he just turned 17 last month, so he's still extremely young. He'll have gone through a semester of college and a season (likely on scout team) before he can buy a lottery ticket...

Don't be surprised if Epley doesn't end up coming as a blue shirt, it's still a good possibility.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2017, 11:03:39 am

Don't be surprised if Epley doesn't end up coming as a blue shirt, it's still a good possibility.
Somebody said preferred walk on because he came on an official, might have been DD?

razorbackfanatic

Biggest difference in Barnes and Mitchell is about .15 to .2 in the 40 yard dash, Barnes being about a 4.37 guy and Mitchell around 4.5/4.6. But Mitchell had about 20-30lbs on Barnes coming out much like Hammonds did.

I hope he moves to WR or CB and sticks, preferably CB for me.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 04, 2017, 11:24:02 am
Biggest difference in Barnes and Mitchell is about .15 to .2 in the 40 yard dash, Barnes being about a 4.37 guy and Mitchell around 4.5/4.6. But Mitchell had about 20-30lbs on Barnes coming out much like Hammonds did.

I hope he moves to WR or CB and sticks, preferably CB for me.
I have been on the CB train myself, but it seems he is going to WR 1st it maybe he ain't much on tackling?

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 04, 2017, 11:18:18 am
Somebody said preferred walk on because he came on an official, might have been DD?

True, forgot about that.

JackJohnson

impressive looking group  :razorback:

bennyl08

Wagner was the big recruit that a lot of people were after. Alas, couldn't find a good tape on him.

Clenin's style reminds me a whole lot of Skippers. Bit raw on the technique, but just has the mean, nasty streak. He isn't happy until you are on your back.

Adcock was very different. He was much more of a polished blocker. He was a lot stronger than those he went against. If you went to the ground, it was because he threw you there and went on to block somebody else rather than Clenin's almost tackle approach. I didn't get the sense of aggression from Adcock watching the video. For some that may be a critique, but I don't think so. Again, think of how many penalty's that Skipper has gotten in his time here.

I think all 3 will be great OL players. Plus, I'd rather have too many tackles and end up starting somebody who is more naturally a tackle at the guard spot, than to have to start somebody who is more naturally a guard at one of the tackles.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 04, 2017, 08:16:14 pm
Wagner was the big recruit that a lot of people were after. Alas, couldn't find a good tape on him.

Clenin's style reminds me a whole lot of Skippers. Bit raw on the technique, but just has the mean, nasty streak. He isn't happy until you are on your back.

Adcock was very different. He was much more of a polished blocker. He was a lot stronger than those he went against. If you went to the ground, it was because he threw you there and went on to block somebody else rather than Clenin's almost tackle approach. I didn't get the sense of aggression from Adcock watching the video. For some that may be a critique, but I don't think so. Again, think of how many penalty's that Skipper has gotten in his time here.

I think all 3 will be great OL players. Plus, I'd rather have too many tackles and end up starting somebody who is more naturally a tackle at the guard spot, than to have to start somebody who is more naturally a guard at one of the tackles.

Bielema's already said that Clenin could play all 5 positions.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 04, 2017, 11:26:50 am
I have been on the CB train myself, but it seems he is going to WR 1st it maybe he ain't much on tackling?

Yes it sounds like receiver to begin which I think he can be dynamic there also. The more I look at the actual defensive backs we signed the more excited I get and think Barnes and Warren could stay on offense and we be ok. Curl, Brown, Calloway I knew a lot about and watched a lot of tape, but the more I watch Mcclellion, Curtis and Hernandez the more excited I get. I really like Curtis, he has very nice speed. He could be an asset on offense also.

presidenthog

February 06, 2017, 03:13:36 am #34 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:26:59 am by presidenthog
Quote from: colbs on February 03, 2017, 12:54:13 pm
They think Nance will compete right away for a starting spot.  His injury could have to do with his lack of offers.  I talked to Enos last night and Barnes was the first WR he brought up besides Martin and Nance.  He is probably a RS guy but he is quick.

Like another poster said I haven't seen anything on Nance that screams big time SEC player. I find that funny that Barnes was the first guy he listed. I haven't watched his film but if it is amazing as Jackson's I'll be impressed. I came away feeling like Jackson has the size, he has more speed that given credit for, and alot of  wiggle for a big man. I feel like he will end up being an NFL guy.

Went and watched barnes highlight fil. Dude has some Joe Adams in him. He may even be a stronger runner. He is so fluid running. Has legit speed, and burst. Dude is next level athletic. He actually doesn't look like anyone on our roster. He looks like a guy we haven't had in a while athletically. I like him. Will be dangerous if we put him at the slot, and get him in space.

tbhogfan

I'm upset that we weren't able to beat out Middle Tennessee State for any recruits at the last moment.  :)
Go Hogs!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Honestly, not impressive but for about 5 or 6 of them.

We're competing against schools that sign 27-29 of these blue-chippers year in and year out. You guys are happy with 5-8 good players a year yet get mad when these third tier players can't beat top end talent regularly.

Seems like Colorado St. is the only school we can beat out on the recruiting trail.

Of course having Parade All-Americans in your backyard that you don't even attempt to recruit is a winning strategy.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

southeasthog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 06, 2017, 11:37:37 am

Of course having Parade All-Americans in your backyard that you don't even attempt to recruit is a winning strategy.
Who was that?

colbs

We're competing against schools that sign 27-29 of these blue-chippers year in and year out. You guys are happy with 5-8 good players a year yet get mad when these third tier players can't beat top end talent regularly.

Seems like Colorado St. is the only school we can beat out on the recruiting trail.

You're crazy if you only think 5-8 of these players are good players and the rest are 3rd tier.  Who is this Parade All-American you speak of?  The guy that didn't qualify?

colbs

February 06, 2017, 12:36:40 pm #39 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:05:28 pm by colbs

Pretty sure Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Louisville are on this list more than Colorado St.  You fail to note that though.

colbs

Quote from: presidenthog on February 06, 2017, 03:13:36 am
Like another poster said I haven't seen anything on Nance that screams big time SEC player. I find that funny that Barnes was the first guy he listed. I haven't watched his film but if it is amazing as Jackson's I'll be impressed. I came away feeling like Jackson has the size, he has more speed that given credit for, and alot of  wiggle for a big man. I feel like he will end up being an NFL guy.

Went and watched barnes highlight fil. Dude has some Joe Adams in him. He may even be a stronger runner. He is so fluid running. Has legit speed, and burst. Dude is next level athletic. He actually doesn't look like anyone on our roster. He looks like a guy we haven't had in a while athletically. I like him. Will be dangerous if we put him at the slot, and get him in space.
As far as Nance he just seems like a guy that is not flashy but has good hands and runs good routes.  I think if he wasn't injured he would have gotten more offers.

Barnes might just have been the first one that came to his mind.  Enos said if Patton is as good as they think it will be the deepest offense since he's been there.  Koilan is the real deal.  BB was for the most excited about him.  I wouldn't doubt if he plays next year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: colbs on February 02, 2017, 11:45:47 am
Same here.  Overall maybe not an amazing offer lists but very solid especially at positions of need.
there are several players with elite offer lists and a lot more with decent offer lists. I only count 5-6 with what would be considered lower tier offer lists.

I think this will be a quality class.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 06, 2017, 03:00:40 pm
Powell was named Hon. Mention A.A. by Parade.

Well......Vinny was first team!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

As was Gary from Clarksville,  and the kid from Pulaski who played well for ASU.

to not even attempt to recruit the kid, even to let him know he'd be a back up plan isn't aggressive playing to win.

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 06, 2017, 03:13:38 pm
As was Gary from Clarksville,  and the kid from Pulaski who played well for ASU.

to not even attempt to recruit the kid, even to let him know he'd be a back up plan isn't aggressive playing to win.

No, not really. It's deciding who you wanted at QB, accepting his commit, and not recruiting another QB.

colbs

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 06, 2017, 03:49:54 pm
Your first statement contradicts your second. You say that we can only beat CSU, yet who did Powell have an offer to? Wake Forest, and then Mizzou late. Two teams that aren't very good in their respective leagues. I do think he will be a good QB, and I think they went after Hyatt because he's a bit taller, maybe has a bit stronger of an arm and could be faster. TP is a gamer and a winner, and does a great job moving around in the pocket with limited mistakes.
Some people complain regardless.  If Powell would have signed with Arkansas then he would complain about his offer list.

factchecker

First off, we beat out plenty of teams for Chevin Calloway.  Ole Miss and Texas both were fighting for his commitment but we landed him.

Montaric Brown had Oklahoma, Okie State, and many other offers.

Your Colorado State comment is a blatant shot a David Porter. Porter was committed to CSU but also getting a serious look from Texas and was about to visit them until we got him to come up on the last weekend.

I guarantee you would have been the first to bitch about us not offering Porter had he committed to Texas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

presidenthog

Quote from: factchecker on February 07, 2017, 12:18:52 am
First off, we beat out plenty of teams for Chevin Calloway.  Ole Miss and Texas both were fighting for his commitment but we landed him.

Montaric Brown had Oklahoma, Okie State, and many other offers.

Your Colorado State comment is a blatant shot a David Porter. Porter was committed to CSU but also getting a serious look from Texas and was about to visit them until we got him to come up on the last weekend.

I guarantee you would have been the first to bitch about us not offering Porter had he committed to Texas.
I thought we had some other players with lesser offers, and CSU being one of them.

Honestly you just don't like the way he said what he said. He isn't necessarily wrong. For as many as we have with elite offer lists, we have just as many with weak offer lists. We have some guys in between.

Guys like jarrod barnes look like they needed more offers, so did Jackson. It is a solid class, but he is right. We can't hang our hat on 5 guys with blue chip offer sheets and then also have guys who are G5 offer guys. We need those blue chip, and then get guys who have offers from other P5, and above average P5 at that offer lists.

factchecker

Quote from: presidenthog on February 07, 2017, 06:29:30 am
I thought we had some other players with lesser offers, and CSU being one of them.

Honestly you just don't like the way he said what he said. He isn't necessarily wrong. For as many as we have with elite offer lists, we have just as many with weak offer lists. We have some guys in between.

Guys like jarrod barnes look like they needed more offers, so did Jackson. It is a solid class, but he is right. We can't hang our hat on 5 guys with blue chip offer sheets and then also have guys who are G5 offer guys. We need those blue chip, and then get guys who have offers from other P5, and above average P5 at that offer lists.

1. Chevin Calloway: Bama, Ohio st, Michigan, LSU, and pretty much everyone else
2. Montaric Brown: Bama, LSU, OU, Auburn, and others
3. Brandon Martin: LSU, Auburn, Florida, GA, and others
4. Dalton Hyatt: Louisville, Miami, Ole Miss, Missouri, Vandy, and others
5. Dalton Wagner: Louisville, Vandy, Indiana, Virginia, California, and others
6. Kirby Adcock: Indiana, Iowa St, and others
7. Kyrei Fisher: Michigan St, Colorado, Minnesota, and others
8. Shane Clenin:  Colorado st, Iowa St, and others
9. Maleek Williams:  Tennessee, Oregon, Kentucky, Colorado, and others
10. Korey Hernandez: GA Tech, Maryland, and others
11. Jonathan Nance: Colorado St, ULM, Troy
12. Jeremy Patton: Bama, Auburn, USC-W, Louisville, and others
13. Chase Hayden: Tennessee, Florida, Michigan, Louisville, and others
14. Kamren Curl: OU, TCU, Texas, Nebraska, Ole Miss, and others
15. Maleek Barkley: Michigan St, Arizona, Illinois, and others
16. Jarrod Barnes: Arkansas only offer
17. Koilan Jackson: Illinois, Memphis, ULM
18. Jarques McClellion: Florida, Michigan St, Louisville, Kentucky, and others
19. Devion Warren: Colorado St
20. Derrick Munson: Louisville
21. David Porter: Colorado St, Kansas St, Iowa St, I think Texas offered as well
22. Jordan Curtis: Kansas St, Iowa St, Texas Tech, and others
23. Josh Paul: Ole Miss, Mississippi St, and others
24. Melvin Johnson: Kentucky, Iowa St, Toledo

Only 3 players without P5 offers (outside of us).
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS