Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Hot Take on this class.

Started by HamSammich, February 01, 2017, 12:09:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSammich

This is one of the best recruiting classes we have ever had at Arkansas. The way Arkansas will win is with seniors and fifth year seniors. I see some guys in this class that will be pillars for us in 4 years.

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I see a lot of red shirts in this class which imo builds long term success.

I'm super high on this recruiting class. I've watched every video I can of each player and we recruited the future today.

Woo pig, go hogs and food job CBB

DeltaBoy

This might be the best overall class CBB had here at Ark.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HamSammich

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2017, 12:33:13 pm
This might be the best overall class CBB had here at Ark.

It was a really nice mixture of needed JUCOs and kids we can develop for the long haul. I'm actually really pumped. I have been pretty critical of CBB but today was a homerun.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HamSammich on February 01, 2017, 12:35:20 pm
It was a really nice mixture of needed JUCOs and kids we can develop for the long haul. I'm actually really pumped. I have been pretty critical of CBB but today was a homerun.

I am too.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

jgphillips3

It's not a sexy class, but it is very solid with several very good players and some developmental players with potential.  I think the 2008 class probably is still the best we've signed in recent memory but this is a very good class and probably the best one for CBB since his first.

theshiva

The class as a whole as of 12:25 PM central time per 247.

2017: Nationally ranked 28th, 10th in the SEC with an average of .8622 with 4 4stars.
2016: Nationally ranked 23rd, 9th in the SEC with an average of .8668 with 5 4stars and 1 5star.
2015: Nationally ranked 23rd, 9th in the SEC with an average of .8638 with 7 4stars.
2014: Nationally ranked 29th, 11th in the SEC with an average of .8470 with 4 4stars.
2013: Nationally ranked 23rd, 9th in the SEC with an average of .8023 with 4 4stars.

Just looking at the rankings it doesn't look like we actually slipped with still an average over .86, but teams around us had better classes than normal, dropping us in ranking compared to the prior two years.

The Good:

The elite players this class are at positions we don't normally get elite players at. Logically that means the team will greatly improve because of that. The secondary has been an issue for awhile, and recruiting is one of the best ways to fix an issue like that. Huge gets there.

Early enrollees. Yuge. Getting these guy's nose in the playbook and in the gym with Herb will only get these guys SEC ready faster.

Reloading at wr. We lost alot of wr talent and this was a good class to reload with. We got two who I think are going to be elite for us in Martin and Jackson. Barkley is right up there too.

Patton. We look at our depth chart and on paper we're stacked at TE. 3 4star guys there currently. The issue is they haven't broken through and proved they're ready to play to the coaches yet (O'Grady may be there now). Patton will guarantee we don't lose production there with Sprinkle gone.

Speed. When you watch the hogs, one issue we see is other SEC teams sometimes are just able to outrun us. When you watch film of these guys, it looks like that's one thing many of them have in common. Some might be raw as a football player, but there's some great athletes here.

The Mix:

The running backs. Williams, completely cool with. Love him as a player. I also think Hayden is 4 star player that's a 3 star in name only. The issue I have is how we're going to use him. I see him kind of like Hammonds, a scatback basically. But last year we didn't use Hammonds in that way at all. We burned his redshirt for acouple rushes between the tackles and PR's. I see these guys our own Kenyon Drake. Guys who are active before the snap, line up as rb and then move out as a wr to get a linebacker covering for a mismatch. Multiple screens. Etc. If we're not going to use these guy's strengths and just bury them in the rb lineup which will be dominated by guys who specialize in running between the tackles, why even have them as rbs?

Oline. Nothing wrong with the players we brought in, but under our system I have the assumption we should get at least 1 blue chip Oline player a year. We don't have one this year by rankings, but the coaches think Wagner is that guy. He has no other SEC offers, but does have good offers from other P5 programs. Another situation of trusting the coach over rankings.

The Bad:

Dline recruiting overall. Not sure what all happened here, but it looks like we scrambled for bodies late. With so much of the class locked up early, it's surprising that Dline was a different story. 2 decommits contributed to this. The two commits we have were lower ranked, but I think they're good choices.

Being risk adverse. We didn't have as many blue chips making visits as we did last class. On one hand we were able to almost have a full class not waiting on many guys for NSD, but we had 33% less 4 and 5 stars than the class before. 4 and 5 stars have a way greater chance of panning out and being able to play in the SEC.

MVP of the class: Going to go with 2, Brown and Calloway. I think they're going to be referred to as a tandem anyway in the future as All SEC.

Darkhorse superstar: Koilan Jackson. I think he's the best wr in our class and will be a 1st - 4th round NFL draft pick.

The_Iceman

All three OL recruit should redshirt, which is a big advantage. Secondary restocked, immediate help at WR and TE. Added depth at RB and LB. Weakness is the DL for sure. Sleeper in the class is 6'4" QB Daulton Hyatt.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: theshiva on February 01, 2017, 01:14:02 pm

2017: Nationally ranked 28th, 10th in the SEC with an average of .8622 with 4 4stars.
2016: Nationally ranked 23rd, 9th in the SEC with an average of .8668 with 5 4stars and 1 5star.
2015: Nationally ranked 23rd, 9th in the SEC with an average of .8638 with 7 4stars.
2014: Nationally ranked 29th, 11th in the SEC with an average of .8470 with 4 4stars.
2013: Nationally ranked 23rd, 9th in the SEC with an average of .8023 with 4 4stars.

Just looking at the rankings it doesn't look like we actually slipped with still an average over .86, but teams around us had better classes than normal, dropping us in ranking compared to the prior two years.

The Good:

The elite players this class are at positions we don't normally get elite players at. Logically that means the team will greatly improve because of that. The secondary has been an issue for awhile, and recruiting is one of the best ways to fix an issue like that. Huge gets there.

Early enrollees. Yuge. Getting these guy's nose in the playbook and in the gym with Herb will only get these guys SEC ready faster.

Reloading at wr. We lost alot of wr talent and this was a good class to reload with. We got two who I think are going to be elite for us in Martin and Jackson. Barkley is right up there too.

Patton. We look at our depth chart and on paper we're stacked at TE. 3 4star guys there currently. The issue is they haven't broken through and proved they're ready to play to the coaches yet (O'Grady may be there now). Patton will guarantee we don't lose production there with Sprinkle gone.

Speed. When you watch the hogs, one issue we see is other SEC teams sometimes are just able to outrun us. When you watch film of these guys, it looks like that's one thing many of them have in common. Some might be raw as a football player, but there's some great athletes here.

The Mix:

The running backs. Williams, completely cool with. Love him as a player. I also think Hayden is 4 star player that's a 3 star in name only. The issue I have is how we're going to use him. I see him kind of like Hammonds, a scatback basically. But last year we didn't use Hammonds in that way at all. We burned his redshirt for acouple rushes between the tackles and PR's. I see these guys our own Kenyon Drake. Guys who are active before the snap, line up as rb and then move out as a wr to get a linebacker covering for a mismatch. Multiple screens. Etc. If we're not going to use these guy's strengths and just bury them in the rb lineup which will be dominated by guys who specialize in running between the tackles, why even have them as rbs?

Oline. Nothing wrong with the players we brought in, but under our system I have the assumption we should get at least 1 blue chip Oline player a year. We don't have one this year by rankings, but the coaches think Wagner is that guy. He has no other SEC offers, but does have good offers from other P5 programs. Another situation of trusting the coach over rankings.

The Bad:

Dline recruiting overall. Not sure what all happened here, but it looks like we scrambled for bodies late. With so much of the class locked up early, it's surprising that Dline was a different story. 2 decommits contributed to this. The two commits we have were lower ranked, but I think they're good choices.

Being risk adverse. We didn't have as many blue chips making visits as we did last class. On one hand we were able to almost have a full class not waiting on many guys for NSD, but we had 33% less 4 and 5 stars than the class before. 4 and 5 stars have a way greater chance of panning out and being able to play in the SEC.

MVP of the class: Going to go with 2, Brown and Calloway. I think they're going to be referred to as a tandem anyway in the future as All SEC.

Darkhorse superstar: Koilan Jackson. I think he's the best wr in our class and will be a 1st - 4th round NFL draft pick.

I think this is a fantastic assessment. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The_Iceman

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 01, 2017, 01:22:08 pm

I think this is a fantastic assessment.

Except no mention of 4-star, 6'4" QB Daulton Hyatt. He is kind of the forgotten man in this class. We have really good QB depth right now.

Kevin

Arkansas 4 4 stars  20 3 stars

Mississippi st 4 4 stars 18 3 stars

I will take the 2 extra players
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

theshiva

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2017, 01:26:45 pm
Except no mention of 4-star, 6'4" QB Daulton Hyatt. He is kind of the forgotten man in this class. We have really good QB depth right now.

To be honest, with Eno's sniping 3 star Cole Kelley out of LSU's back yard and him turning out to be the star of fall practices after a few weeks and basically became AA's backup if we really needed him, I completely ignore the recruiting of our qb commit. That's the only position that I'm 100% trusting of the coaches. I have no doubt he will be a stud.

HamSammich

Quote from: theshiva on February 01, 2017, 01:34:33 pm
To be honest, with Eno's sniping 3 star Cole Kelley out of LSU's back yard and him turning out to be the star of fall practices after a few weeks and basically became AA's backup if we really needed him, I completely ignore the recruiting of our qb commit. That's the only position that I'm 100% trusting of the coaches. I have no doubt he will be a stud.

You can't ignore the most important position on the field as a fan. Unfortunately with this sort of depth we will always have transfers but fortunately we are deep each year at qb.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2017, 01:26:45 pm
And not much on Martin, who I believe is Greg Childs with another gear. But I loved the OP.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Tarheelhawg

The Good:

The Mix:

The Bad:

Nice work! Solid assessment.  Speed everywhere and all the pieces to meet the needs for this class with some icing on top like a QB with 4.6 speed.  Maybe a little light in the d-line but overall v. pleased.  WPS!

HawgHeadCheese

I think Kirby Adcock is the sleeper of this class.

JayBell

I don't know if I would say it's one of Arkansas' best classes ever, but to me, it's one of the best ones in a long, long time.  It's certainly the most balanced class since before HDN, IMO.

The total number of playmakers, on both sides, is what blows me away.  I think a lot of these guys would have been ranked a lot higher if Arkansas hadn't locked them down early on.  Some of the guys on offense put up some truly gawdy numbers in high school.  I could see a lot of them being like Rawleigh Williams, where other coaches just didn't see what Bielema and his staff did.  I especially feel that way about the two running backs.  I think they're the best RB pair Arkansas has signed together since DMac and Felix.

But then you have Martin, Jackson, Patton, Barnes, Barkley, Martin and Warren.  That's more offensive firepower - by depth - than Petrino signed in the class that he rode to success in 2010 and 2011.  It's just a matter of how many of them reach that elite level as the group with Adams, Wright, Childs, Gragg, etc.

JayBell

Like Iceman said, having the three OL redshirt is going to be yuge.  If Bielema can start to crank out offensive lines with experience every year, they'll be able to run the ball the way he wants to.

It's not a high bar, but this is definitely the best group of linebackers Arkansas has signed under Bielema.  They look the part more than any of his previous groups.  That said, there's a hybrid or two in the class that could be successful too.

But of course, the shining stars of this class are in the secondary.  Even aside from Calloway and Brown, others guys like McClellion, Curtis and Hernandez seem like they're bigger, faster and stronger than previous DBs Bielema signed.

bennyl08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 01, 2017, 07:13:06 pm
And not much on Martin, who I believe is Greg Childs with another gear. But I loved the OP.

Don't think Martin has another gear on Childs who ran the forty in 4.39, 20 yard shuttle in 4.09, and the 3 cone in 6.90, all with a 10'7" broad jump, 40.5" vertical, throw in 19 reps on the bench @100kg and doing so at 6'3 219 pounds.

If Martin has another gear to add to that, he'd be making Reed look like Denver Kirkland out there. However, I do think Martin adds a similar (maybe slightly less athletic, probably more of a 4.45/4.50 forty dash, etc...) but in a larger frame than Childs.

From his tape, looks more like a Brandon Marshall than a Calvin Johnson. It's a subtle difference and not a huge one to make, but it's the difference b/w being the unquestioned best receiver in the NFL and being a top 5 or so receiver. Still hella good.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HamSammich

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 02, 2017, 04:48:06 pm
Don't think Martin has another gear on Childs who ran the forty in 4.39, 20 yard shuttle in 4.09, and the 3 cone in 6.90, all with a 10'7" broad jump, 40.5" vertical, throw in 19 reps on the bench @100kg and doing so at 6'3 219 pounds.

If Martin has another gear to add to that, he'd be making Reed look like Denver Kirkland out there. However, I do think Martin adds a similar (maybe slightly less athletic, probably more of a 4.45/4.50 forty dash, etc...) but in a larger frame than Childs.

From his tape, looks more like a Brandon Marshall than a Calvin Johnson. It's a subtle difference and not a huge one to make, but it's the difference b/w being the unquestioned best receiver in the NFL and being a top 5 or so receiver. Still hella good.

For tight ends I'm not sure speed matters a lot. Gonzales ran a 4.45... Gronk  like a 4.7 (this is from a liquor addled memory so I might be off). Tight ends excel with hands and routes. I do believe that the UA will soon become tight end U. Way too much talent with a TE use philosophy.

bennyl08

I like Jackson, but don't think he will do quite that well. He reminds me a heckuvalotof Cobi Hamilton. Prima facia, that is a pretty big compliment. However, there is a "but" coming.

From his HS highlight tape, he doesn't seem to have the initial burst that elite receivers have. That is the key reason that was always a 4th to Childs, Adams, and Wright. Further, that is the primary reason he was drafted so late relative to the large success he had here.

There is a lot worse that you can do than having a Cobi clone. However, I think players like Pettway, Jones, and Martin will be leading the team when Cornelius graduates. When Jackson gets to be one of the top dogs here, which will IMO happen by the time he's a junior, he'll probably continue to follow a Cobi like path of going from a big play reserve to a big threat as a primary receiver. However, unless he can really improve those first few steps, that's going to limit how open he can get in the NFL. It's taken Cobi what, 4 years or so to start making his mark in the NFL?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on February 02, 2017, 04:59:03 pm
For tight ends I'm not sure speed matters a lot. Gonzales ran a 4.45... Gronk  like a 4.7 (this is from a liquor addled memory so I might be off). Tight ends excel with hands and routes. I do believe that the UA will soon become tight end U. Way too much talent with a TE use philosophy.

What do TE's have to do with my post? Thought we were talking about receivers. Specifically, whether or not Martin has another gear relative to Childs.

HamSammich

Quote from: JayBell on February 02, 2017, 03:57:57 pm
I don't know if I would say it's one of Arkansas' best classes ever, but to me, it's one of the best ones in a long, long time.  It's certainly the most balanced class since before HDN, IMO.

The part that's on my mind I have not really typed here ; I think I finally need to let loose the idea.

I think fords recruits made HDN.
I think the last two classes are going to make CBBs predecessor look a lot better than he really is. It seems a sad cycle to me.

HamSammich

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 02, 2017, 05:01:41 pm
What do TE's have to do with my post? Thought we were talking about receivers. Specifically, whether or not Martin has another gear relative to Childs.

You guys were talking gears..: I might be wrong but I think gears don't matter a ton with TEs/

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HamSammich on February 02, 2017, 05:04:25 pm
The part that's on my mind I have not really typed here ; I think I finally need to let loose the idea.

I think fords recruits made HDN.
I think the last two classes are going to make CBBs predecessor look a lot better than he really is. It seems a sad cycle to me.
When you made your earlier comments about being pumped about this class while adding (unnecessarily) that you've been pretty critical of CBB I was beginning to get a little concerned that this was not the real HamSammich. However, with this crack I now see that the real Ham never really went away; he just disguised himself with an actual compliment or two. Obviously you went over your kind remark(s) quota for the century.

hawginbigd1

That was pre-injury of course, I still say he, Knile, and the freakin sellout trader, all should have redshirted and come back the following year. They came back to early and were shells of their former selves.

JayBell

Quote from: HamSammich on February 02, 2017, 05:05:26 pmYou guys were talking gears..: I might be wrong but I think gears don't matter a ton with TEs/

So which part has you confused?  Do you think Martin is a tight end or do you have Patton in your head instead?

HamSammich

Quote from: JayBell on February 02, 2017, 06:49:14 pm
So which part has you confused?  Do you think Martin is a tight end or do you have Patton in your head instead?

Aw I gotcha

Al Boarland

Like clockwork. You could set your watch to the near last place ranking in the conference being somehow sneaky good. It's as reliable as preseason hype.

Earth Hog Fan

February 02, 2017, 07:15:33 pm #28 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:31:40 pm by Earth Hog Fan

Benny, Brandon Martin is actually listed as 6-4, 225 pounds, 4.37 in the 40...
GO HOGS! :razorback: :razorback:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/05/martin-nance-among-razorbacks-getting-e/
I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 02, 2017, 06:59:15 pm
Like clockwork. You could set your watch to the near last place ranking in the conference being somehow sneaky good. It's as reliable as preseason hype.

Well, can't argue with you there. 

However, I think the team is becoming more talented not as much with recruiting as it is via player retention.  I'd say the main improvement in recruiting is not necessarily from getting a higher volume of talented players, but instead getting talented players sprinkled across the board at all positions.  That plus retention, and we have real potential.  Potential.  Still have to develop and coach them, of course. 

We'll see.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2017, 01:18:59 pm
All three OL recruit should redshirt, which is a big advantage. Secondary restocked, immediate help at WR and TE. Added depth at RB and LB. Weakness is the DL for sure. Sleeper in the class is 6'4" QB Daulton Hyatt.

agree with all this but would amplify/magnify the secondary comment.. I think we signed a really good group..not sure we've ever done better..

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 02, 2017, 08:22:47 pm
agree with all this but would amplify/magnify the secondary comment.. I think we signed a really good group..not sure we've ever done better..

I seriously doubt we've come close to signing a better DB class.  All the OL really needs to RS to start improving depth.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on February 02, 2017, 05:05:26 pm
You guys were talking gears..: I might be wrong but I think gears don't matter a ton with TEs/

They don't matter much to OL players either. WR's ≠ TE's any more than they equal OT's.

Gear's aren't the most important thing for a WR, but the poster wanted to bring up gears so that is what we are talking about.

As for how much they matter for TE's, it's about the same as they do for RB's. The majority of the plays they are involved in will never get out of third. The few plays where having a 6th gear instead of just 5 happen, having that gear doesn't make the play possible. It simply differentiates a 15 yard play from a 40 and a 30 yard play from an 80. For a WR and TE, it helps determine the YAC you can get. For a RB, it helps determine how much damage you can do if you get into the secondary.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 02, 2017, 06:25:32 pm
That was pre-injury of course, I still say he, Knile, and the freakin sellout trader, all should have redshirted and come back the following year. They came back to early and were shells of their former selves.

Those numbers for Childs were post injury. Well, I guess it depends on "which' injury we are talking about. Post injury as a razorback. Pre-injury as a viking.

Now, there was a pretty big jump in improvement in the month, month and half b/w the combine and the pro-day for Childs. Presumably, his playing that year was at a lower percentage than his combine performance even, which was still pretty solid. While it may have been best for us as fans, he was healthy enough to play his senior year, and I imagine it would have been very hard to basically forsake his teammates by sitting out when he could play, just so that he could pile up better numbers and be healthier. Plus, that was his cohort out there. Redshirting would be the equivalent of having to repeat a grade. Sure, he'd know the other players on the team, but he wouldn't be out there with the players he went the crucible with.

Knile was healthy and 100% when the season was going. Don't believe me? Watch his highlights from the aggie game. His problems in 2012 stemmed entirely from the coaching staff. No contact in the summer and fall hurt him during the season as well as the general lack of team cohesion that year.

Marcus Monk I can't comment too much about. I was still learning about football back then and only been watching for about 6 years or so at that point. Didn't follow as closely as I do now.

bennyl08

Quote from: Earth Hog Fan on February 02, 2017, 07:15:33 pm
Benny, Brandon Martin is actually listed as 6-4, 225 pounds, 4.37 in the 40...
GO HOGS! :razorback: :razorback:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/05/martin-nance-among-razorbacks-getting-e/

And Ryan Mallett ran a 4.8 as well. I would bet a decent amount of money that he does not run a sub 4.40 forty time.

Not a knock on Martin, but you can virtually bank on any reported forty time of a recruit being an absolute minimum of a full tenth of a second slower. Unless it was measured at a camp or combine or something with lasers, those reported times are just as accurate as you and me eyeballing it and straight up guessing a number.

HognitiveDissonance

It's ranked as a typical Arkansas class---20 to 25 in the rankings.
Which is actually very good---only looks bad when compared to the rest of the SEC. But that's been true forever.

The strength is the addressing of a real need---secondary---with some very good players there.
Also addressed a major need by bringing in some very nice receivers.
The weakness is the quality of the o-line isn't as star-filled as recent years. No Kirklands, Merricks, Wallaces, Ragnows, etc. here.
D-line was weak but was a strong point last year.
RBs are solid, but major need was addressed last year with national #6 RB Whaley.

I think we should have targeted a kicker. With McFain gone, are we really having to go back to Hedlund now?

Good class.

DeltaBoy

I pretty happy with this class it meet a ton of needs.

JayBell

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 02, 2017, 06:59:15 pmLike clockwork. You could set your watch to the near last place ranking in the conference being somehow sneaky good. It's as reliable as preseason hype.

I guess it's semantics to call 10th "near last place," but fair enough.  It is a routine we go through about recruiting rankings and stars, but there's also plenty of evidence to back up both sides of that argument.

That said, I don't usually get carried away with Arkansas' recruiting classes.  A couple of Bielema's classes have tended to be top heavy.  It helps build the team's depth, but they didn't necessarily have quality throughout.  I think that's different with this group.  Far more of these commits than usual, IMO, look like they can become star players for Arkansas at some point in their career.

Several of them like Hyatt, the running backs and the offensive linemen may have to wait 2-3 years before they get their chance, but they don't seem like projects.  They seem like good players who are coming onto campus behind other good players and they will have several years to develop without having to be relied upon immediately.