Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tomatoes - 2016

Started by HawgWild, February 08, 2016, 12:20:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Started mine yesterday. 9 different heirlooms.

PharmacistHog

Will be the first year in a long time that I don't have a garden.  Between two boys playing baseball and wife having a new baby boy in April I'm just not even gonna fool with it. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

DeltaBoy

I got a SR heading the College in the Fall so I will once again be a regular customer at our local Farmers market.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boarcephus

I just buy the plants.  Here in about 5 weeks or so we'll be getting the itch to plant and if all goes like it usually does, 6-8 weeks we'll get to replant because we planted the things too darned early, again!

I need to come up with a way to get rid of the yellow blight. What I've done has not worked
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HawgWild

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 08, 2016, 12:42:32 pm
Will be the first year in a long time that I don't have a garden.

This will be the extent of mine. No more bush beans and purple hull peas for the rabbits to eat. The peppers never grew that well any way.

DeltaBoy

Mom and Dad had theirs washed out 3 times last year and finally got a Fall garden in.  But dad said with all the local farmers markets he might just plant maters and taters this year and buy the rest.  He been driving down to Star City to a Mennonite Farm that has a real nice Farmers Market.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 08, 2016, 01:38:42 pm
I just buy the plants.  Here in about 5 weeks or so we'll be getting the itch to plant and if all goes like it usually does, 6-8 weeks we'll get to replant because we planted the things too darned early, again!

I need to come up with a way to get rid of the yellow blight. What I've done has not worked
Have you tried getting lady bugs?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 08, 2016, 03:28:19 pm
Have you tried getting lady bugs?

I know the ladybugs will eat the aphids that spread the blight (or so I've heard) and sprayed with Seven to kill the aphids  but have been unsuccessful in keeping the blight away.  I've sprayed with Daconil (recommended by the County Extension), raked all the old leaves and mulch and hauled it away (recommended by Nitron), rotating crops is not possible, even put barriers down to keep the soil from washing up on the leaves but short of replacing the soil, I'm at a loss of what to do next.  I can keep the plants blight free up to a point by spraying but after a while they get too big and leafy to get the spray where I need to get it.  As I said, just at a loss.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 08, 2016, 03:40:40 pm
I know the ladybugs will eat the aphids that spread the blight (or so I've heard) and sprayed with Seven to kill the aphids  but have been unsuccessful in keeping the blight away.  I've sprayed with Daconil (recommended by the County Extension), raked all the old leaves and mulch and hauled it away (recommended by Nitron), rotating crops is not possible, even put barriers down to keep the soil from washing up on the leaves but short of replacing the soil, I'm at a loss of what to do next.  I can keep the plants blight free up to a point by spraying but after a while they get too big and leafy to get the spray where I need to get it.  As I said, just at a loss.
Scroll down about half way to the part about covering area in clear plastic for 6 weeks.  That might work.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/07/02/organic-gardening-series-how-to-get-rid-of-tomato-blight/

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on February 08, 2016, 03:56:18 pm
Scroll down about half way to the part about covering area in clear plastic for 6 weeks.  That might work.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/07/02/organic-gardening-series-how-to-get-rid-of-tomato-blight/

Appreciate it.  I've done all of those except covering the area in plastic.  That will have to be the next step and guess I'll go that route this next year.  My wife has started using my garden to store her japanese bonsai during the winter after I till everything up in the fall so I can't do it now. 

HawgWild

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 08, 2016, 05:25:54 pm
My wife has started using my garden to store her japanese bonsai during the winter after I till everything up in the fall so I can't do it now.

Wives are like that! Each year my uncultivated area is taken over with her daylily expansion plan.  ;D This may be my last year to garden. Like you, I experienced a disappointing tomato harvest last year. I've got a bee hive less than 100 feet away from my garden so we use no chemicals anywhere.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on February 09, 2016, 09:03:17 am
Wives are like that! Each year my uncultivated area is taken over with her daylily expansion plan.  ;D This may be my last year to garden. Like you, I experienced a disappointing tomato harvest last year. I've got a bee hive less than 100 feet away from my garden so we use no chemicals anywhere.

I think what I'll do this year on half my plants is, in addition to my Epson salts, ammonia nitrate and 30-30-30  fertilizer I always put in the hole, is drop a can of sardines, an egg and powered milk in each hole and see what happens.  I'll go back to mulching with cotton seed hulls and spray the dickens out of them with Daconil as long as I can to head of the blight.  Can't wait. 

DeltaBoy

Dad said the past 10 years have been feast or famine with the Maters in Eastern Ark . Before my daughter started cheering I had 2 good years in a row with Early Girls then I had 3 bad years  the last year the silly things came back strong in Oct and I picked my last tomatoes the week of Thanksgiving before the Frost got them.

HawgWild

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 09, 2016, 10:05:55 am
I'll go back to mulching with cotton seed hulls and spray the dickens out of them with Daconil as long as I can to head of the blight.  Can't wait.

Be careful with those cotton seed hulls! I don't think I shared this experience here before but a few years back I was using some cotton seed hulls for mulch and to improve my soil. I had several volunteer cotton plants come up and I let them grow. I shared a picture of my "cotton crop" with the on-line community and someone at the state plant board saw it. I was told to destroy the plants. I refused. Insert frustrating bureaucratic experience here.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgWild on February 09, 2016, 10:51:22 am
Be careful with those cotton seed hulls! I don't think I shared this experience here before but a few years back I was using some cotton seed hulls for mulch and to improve my soil. I had several volunteer cotton plants come up and I let them grow. I shared a picture of my "cotton crop" with the on-line community and someone at the state plant board saw it. I was told to destroy the plants. I refused. Insert frustrating bureaucratic experience here.

WOW wonder why anybody with the plant board would even care?????

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on February 09, 2016, 10:51:22 am

I'll be darned!!  I've seen that come up and never thought about it.  Just pulled them up and tossed them in the yard figuring they were some kind of weed.  They've never been a problem because just a few spring up but it is kind neat.

HawgWild

I was told that growing cotton in my county was prohibited without prior federal approval. They sent a federal crop inspector to my home to inspect the crop for boll weevils. (They had to drive from over 90 miles away as there was no cotton being grown in my county.) We ended up having to install weevil traps around the garden and have them monitored by a plant board employee. I had to promise that I would pull up the plants and burn them after harvesting the bolls.

We went to the county fair that year and saw multiple entries of cotton bolls in the Garden category. <sigh> I wanted to ask the entrants if they new about the prohibition for growing cotton. Nah, I let it go. Some things are better left unsaid.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgWild on February 09, 2016, 12:37:41 pm
I was told that growing cotton in my county was prohibited without prior federal approval. They sent a federal crop inspector to my home to inspect the crop for boll weevils. (They had to drive from over 90 miles away as there was no cotton being grown in my county.) We ended up having to install weevil traps around the garden and have them monitored by a plant board employee. I had to promise that I would pull up the plants and burn them after harvesting the bolls.

We went to the county fair that year and saw multiple entries of cotton bolls in the Garden category. <sigh> I wanted to ask the entrants if they new about the prohibition for growing cotton. Nah, I let it go. Some things are better left unsaid.

Sounds like a load of Bull Crap to me

HawgWild

I can tell you that they take Boll Weevil eradication seriously.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgWild on February 09, 2016, 02:41:23 pm
I can tell you that they take Boll Weevil eradication seriously.

I understand.  Boll Weevils really can hurt Cotton Yields.

HawgWild

Started from seed on Super Bowl Sunday and transplanted 3/31. Never planted that early but we were headed out of town for a week and the forecast didn't show any frost prediction. Picture taken today, 4/16. 36 heirlooms. Some with blossoms already.

BR

Bunch of lazy Asses on here, Excuses not to plant a tomato plant  :D...  Started these for a new 5 Gallon Bucket garden.. Plus got the 2 big gardens out back that already has taters, onions, beets, green beans, lettuce and spinach planted... Doing Sweet corn this week.  Will put out about another 20-25 Tomatoes and at least 10-15 peppers more.....
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Quote from: HawgWild on April 16, 2016, 03:13:27 pm
Started from seed on Super Bowl Sunday and transplanted 3/31. Never planted that early but we were headed out of town for a week and the forecast didn't show any frost prediction. Picture taken today, 4/16. 36 heirlooms. Some with blossoms already.
YOU go Brother....

HawgWild

Not going to win any blue ribbons with these but here they come.

Hog_Swanson

All mine are still green.  It won't be long though.

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on June 15, 2016, 12:02:18 pm
Not going to win any blue ribbons with these but here they come.
I would gladly pay you for those!

How the hell did I miss this thread?

It's a conspiracy!  >:(
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

ricepig

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on June 15, 2016, 12:43:04 pm
All mine are still green.  It won't be long though.

My tomatoe man says 10 more days, I'm ready.

BR

Garden getting there.. No Red ones yet, but a ton of green ones..

LSUFan

Quote from: ricepig on June 15, 2016, 04:28:02 pm
My tomatoe man says 10 more days, I'm ready.
I steal all of them!  >:(

I just need an address  ;D

Please  ;D

BR

Plus the Tiki Bar Back yard is coming together...

Boarcephus

Mine have started looking better.  These are 5 ft cages for scale.  the one on the far right is a replant so it's behind.  The second picture is what's got me scratching my head.  They were labeled Better Boys but I swear they're looking more like Romas, which I've never grown.  We enjoy eating at Mermaids and they do a lot with Plum tomatoes which are great.  Did a little research and evidently Roma is just a variety of Plum so kinda looking forward to it. 

HawgWild

Nice! My plants are showing some wilt on the bottom half. Not sure the exact cause but I may have to give up growing heirlooms if it's F or V. Good looking cages. Did you build those? Problem with heirlooms are that they're indeterminate; they never quit growing. They always end up sprawling all over the place once they reach the top of the cage. I saw some Texas cages that were 6 foot tall, maybe taller. They want $35+ for them and I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on June 17, 2016, 09:05:29 am
Nice! My plants are showing some wilt on the bottom half. Not sure the exact cause but I may have to give up growing heirlooms if it's F or V. Good looking cages. Did you build those? Problem with heirlooms are that they're indeterminate; they never quit growing. They always end up sprawling all over the place once they reach the top of the cage. I saw some Texas cages that were 6 foot tall, maybe taller. They want $35+ for them and I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

I bought a roll of 6x6 rebar wire and made my own.  Those cages are probably 25 years old.  I did slip over to Nitron in Johnson and bought 2 additional ones a few years ago and seems like they were around $15 each at the time.  Good luck with the blight.  If I could help I would but I'm at a loss of how to combat it.  I've tried everything short of covering it with plastic over the winter and that's just not  an option for me as long as Deb uses my garden to winter her bonsai's. 

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

ricepig

June 21, 2016, 01:13:39 pm #34 Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:28:11 pm by ricepig
Quote from: LSUFan on June 15, 2016, 04:39:36 pm
I steal all of them!  >:(

I just need an address  ;D

Please  ;D

They're here, and if it's like the last two years he'll/I'll have them until October. He had the pick through his 100# to get me my 7-8 tomatoes like I prefer them, big and red, lol. I think his place is around Manila, but he comes to the Farmer's Market here twice a week and another one that meets twice a month. There were 3 or 4 other vendors with tomatoes, so it's time. We have an Amish family that brings their vegetables from Pocahontas, their tomatoes are big and red, with no flavor what so ever, I think they've grown in a hot house, it hydroponic?? Anyway, it's BLT's for lunch, and fresh tomatoes for salads and sandwiches.

HawgWild

Tomato Pie, it's what's for dinner.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HawgWild on June 23, 2016, 07:08:54 am
Tomato Pie, it's what's for dinner.
I have been intrigued by tomato pie recipes.  I've never had one.  Most have mayo mixed with the cheese for the topping.  Does yours have mayo in the recipe?

HawgWild

Yes, it's a Paula Deen recipe so it's going to be full of bad stuff - cup of mayo, cup Mozzarella, cup of Cheddar.

My wife found one from Martha Stewart that uses no mayo and Parmesan cheese. I'm going to try that one over the week end.

HawgWild

LSUFan

Quote from: HawgWild on June 24, 2016, 01:36:35 pm
Today's Harvest.
I had one of those (In the middle) that green topped one, those a pretty dang good. What are those called?

Boarcephus

You live a lot further south than I do.  I'm still a week or so away from getting any at all but when they hit, I'll be sitting good. 

ricepig

HawgWild

Quote from: LSUFan on June 24, 2016, 02:05:45 pm
I had one of those (In the middle) that green topped one, those a pretty dang good. What are those called?

It's either a Cherokee Purple or a Black Krim. They look very similar.
Quote from: ricepig on June 24, 2016, 03:01:33 pm
So, which ones are good on BLT's?

All of them!  ;D The White Beauty is really meaty and doesn't run down your arm when you eat it on a BLT or burger. All the others are pretty messy but really tasty.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on June 24, 2016, 03:20:46 pm
It's either a Cherokee Purple or a Black Krim.

This is the first time is several years I didn't plant a Cherokee Purple.  Not sure how yours do but mine have never really produced that well compared to my other plants. 

Hog_Swanson

I've gotten a random ripe mater here and there, but not many.  In about a week, I'm gonna be swimming in maters.

HawgWild

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 24, 2016, 03:39:00 pm
This is the first time is several years I didn't plant a Cherokee Purple.  Not sure how yours do but mine have never really produced that well compared to my other plants.

This is the third and last year using the same heirloom variety seed packets I'd purchased from Hummert Seed Co. back in 2014. The Cherokees and Black Krims never did that much before but are doing well this year. Same for the White Beauties. Some of them are softball sized this year. Last year the Oaxaca's were big. This year they're not much bigger than grapes. Same for the Garden Peach.

It's looking like things are going to slow down harvest wise next week. The temperature has been so high lately that they're not setting any new fruit. That plus I've got some kind of wilt. The LR TV station had a segment this morning on central Arkansas garden getting hit by that this year.

Boarcephus

I planted a Black Krim a couple years ago and it didn't produce very well either.Will say I'm looking forward to seeing what my Roma tomato tastes like because it's loaded down with those things. If it's anything like a grape tomato flavor wise, it'll be a regular in my garden from this point on. 

HawgWild

We probably use more Romas year round than any other tomato. Do you put up your own tomato sauce?

Boarcephus

I canned 4 or 5 quarts of tomatoes and year or so ago and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. What we can't eat I give away. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgWild on June 23, 2016, 10:58:37 am
Yes, it's a Paula Deen recipe so it's going to be full of bad stuff - cup of mayo, cup Mozzarella, cup of Cheddar.

My wife found one from Martha Stewart that uses no mayo and Parmesan cheese. I'm going to try that one over the week end.

No self respecting southerner would ever use a Martha Stewart recipe........................ I bet she doesn't even know how to spell grits...............;)
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi