Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too early to tell on Mike

Started by Karma, January 31, 2018, 10:10:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

It's only year 7. It will probably be another 10 years until the 2008 Missouri team that went to the Elite 8 has kids old enough to play in college. When we get those guys on the hill, Mike will dominate for a season.

elksnort

haahaha

Sort of mean, but kind of true.

1highhog

Quote from: Karma on January 31, 2018, 10:10:52 am
It's only year 7. It will probably be another 10 years until the 2008 Missouri team that went to the Elite 8 has kids old enough to play in college. When we get those guys on the hill, Mike will dominate for a season.

I was going to argue with you when I read your title of your post but after reading your comment I agree 100%.

Torqued pork

On Jeff Long's calendar year 7 was actually year 2.

Hog N Bama

MA hasn't won any title here. And he isn't. That's why he got a contract extension  :puke:

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MountieDawg

The new AD came in and took over where Long left off.... Atleast the buyout is still just a million... Not 14 milion!!!
SEC!

TheRazorback500

I have the same feeling I did last fall-sort of deja vu. I like Mike, he's a nice guy.. but..
Do you wanna get Rocked?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 31, 2018, 04:27:10 pm
The new AD came in and took over where Long left off.... Atleast the buyout is still just a million... Not 14 milion!!!

New AD had nothing to do with this.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 31, 2018, 09:20:46 pm
New AD had nothing to do with this.
has anybody actually confirmed this or did someone make that up? Because I'm pretty sure someone did, I would like some proof
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

RazorPiggie

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 31, 2018, 09:25:51 pm
has anybody actually confirmed this or did someone make that up? Because I'm pretty sure someone did, I would like some proof

The deal was signed on 11/27 and Yurachek wasn't announced until the 4th. JCP was the one that signed the contract.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 31, 2018, 09:33:16 pm
The deal was signed on 11/27 and Yurachek wasn't announced until the 4th. JCP was the one that signed the contract.
yeah but I ready something that they can't push the deal through without the new Ads consent..
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

DeltaBoy

Bottom line is that Mike can not say the UA didn't give him enough Time.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogginbama

I never see the sense in it all. A football coach, has to build a team of 85 players and be competitive by winning around 75% of their games by year 5 or fans call for their heads and discuss how worthless of a human being they are. A basketball coach on the other hand, has a team of 12-15, in a sport where 1 recruit per year can make you a powerhouse. We are okay with allowing the b-ball coach 7+ yrs winning at a 60% clip and suffering blowout losses on a regular clip. The b-ball coach makes the same mistakes, runs no offense, continues to trap/switch so post players are out of position, gets destroyed on the offensive boards yearly, and my fingers are tired.

Why the hypocrisy?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Serious question, particularly in light of the inaccuracies of Bielema's buyout. Is Anderson's buyout $1 million total, or $1 million for each year remaining on his contract?

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Karma on February 01, 2018, 09:44:25 am
Serious question, particularly in light of the inaccuracies of Bielema's buyout. Is Anderson's buyout $1 million total, or $1 million for each year remaining on his contract?
each year

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogginbama on February 01, 2018, 08:48:27 am
I never see the sense in it all. A football coach, has to build a team of 85 players and be competitive by winning around 75% of their games by year 5 or fans call for their heads and discuss how worthless of a human being they are. A basketball coach on the other hand, has a team of 12-15, in a sport where 1 recruit per year can make you a powerhouse. We are okay with allowing the b-ball coach 7+ yrs winning at a 60% clip and suffering blowout losses on a regular clip. The b-ball coach makes the same mistakes, runs no offense, continues to trap/switch so post players are out of position, gets destroyed on the offensive boards yearly, and my fingers are tired.

Why the hypocrisy?

I wouldn't say it's hypocrisy as much as people just don't seem to grasp how difficult of a task a football coach at arkansas has.

We just don't make enough in state guys to be competitive year in and year out, and if you look at the best teams we've had at this school in the past 20 years, they are full of dynamic in state recruits. We will never be a powerhouse in football. Doesn't mean we can't win some.

But basketball is different, we could legit be good every year, and some years be very good. I appreciate what Mike has done getting us to a stable level and taking care of most of the off-court issues, but there comes a point where just making the tournament every 2 years isn't good enough. We have the kids in the state to build a roster, and we make a top tier recruit in basketball every couple of years. Not to mention Memphis, OKC/Tulsa, KC/St. Louis, and Texas all being right there.

I truly think we're a sleeping giant in basketball, not football. But we're fine I guess with a tournament appearance in bball, but not fine with 7-8 wins in football, which is exactly where we'll always be year in and year out.

I'm with you, I feel like a crazy person. But here we are. And again, I like Mike, but I was ready to move on in 2015-2016, and now I'm starting to get pretty bummed, because this team has a chance to be fairly special, but we can't get it together.

Dirty

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2018, 08:29:13 am

Bottom line is, MA will be here next year and the next!

Sivad

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 01, 2018, 08:29:13 am
And I don't think he will.
He doesn't have that Nolan trait where he will publicly slander the UA at every opportunity and try to burn the school to the ground on his way out.
Mike will take his many millions and go out like a gentleman, his contract honored by both sides.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 01, 2018, 09:55:36 am
I wouldn't say it's hypocrisy as much as people just don't seem to grasp how difficult of a task a football coach at arkansas has.

We just don't make enough in state guys to be competitive year in and year out, and if you look at the best teams we've had at this school in the past 20 years, they are full of dynamic in state recruits. We will never be a powerhouse in football. Doesn't mean we can't win some.

But basketball is different, we could legit be good every year, and some years be very good. I appreciate what Mike has done getting us to a stable level and taking care of most of the off-court issues, but there comes a point where just making the tournament every 2 years isn't good enough. We have the kids in the state to build a roster, and we make a top tier recruit in basketball every couple of years. Not to mention Memphis, OKC/Tulsa, KC/St. Louis, and Texas all being right there.

I truly think we're a sleeping giant in basketball, not football. But we're fine I guess with a tournament appearance in bball, but not fine with 7-8 wins in football, which is exactly where we'll always be year in and year out.

I'm with you, I feel like a crazy person. But here we are. And again, I like Mike, but I was ready to move on in 2015-2016, and now I'm starting to get pretty bummed, because this team has a chance to be fairly special, but we can't get it together.
4-8 in football is like 13-18 in basketball and Anderson has only had one horrible year and it was 16-16

upperdeck_hawg

He just needs his type of players
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Section B

Football scenario on the bball court.  Nice guy.  Loves the kids.  Not much of a coach.  Unfortunate.
Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Dirty on February 01, 2018, 10:03:58 am
Bottom line is, MA will be here next year and the next!

I think this is correct.  I also believe that, barring a really, really bad season or two, Mike will retire here.  Since he is only 58, that could be awhile.

bkjbearcat

February 02, 2018, 11:05:09 pm #23 Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:29:54 pm by bkjbearcat

Why the hypocrisy?

Agree. What frustrates me more is recruiting. In football Arkansas normally ranks 20 to 25. Most fans consider that an mediocre to bad in the SEC. While in basketball the 2018 class ranks somewhere from 21 to 26. Yet, many fans think a class ranked in the mid-twenties will be the saviors of the program.

A class with not one 5* player. A class with only one player in ESPN's top 100. These guys are going to be the saviors of Arkansas basketball? While LSU and Vandy of all schools has two 5* each coming to their schools. Those two schools seem to have great classes. Ours just seemed kind of mediocre.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hobhog

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 02, 2018, 10:56:40 pm

I think this is correct.  I also believe that, barring a really, really bad season or two, Mike will retire here.  Since he is only 58, that could be awhile.

Because we are a SEC football school and no one cares about basketball? Why on earth would anyone think this is true? Why not just drop basketball and donate his salary to the needy? No reason to keep paying MA and make his 5 supporters happy.

hamsam

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 02, 2018, 08:51:38 pm
He just needs his type of players

Right. The kind of players,that require no coaching. Then we'll be hell to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

1highhog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 02, 2018, 08:36:38 pm
4-8 in football is like 13-18 in basketball and Anderson has only had one horrible year and it was 16-16

Excuse me, but Mike has had only one decent year since he's been here and I used the word decent.  He didn't win anything then.  He's not coaching the football team here, he's coaching the basketball team, and despite what a lot of the younger generation of posters think on this board, Arkansas used to be one of the top 5 schools in the nation in Basketball and can be again with the right Coach, Mike Anderson was never going to be that from the very beginning.  Look, I love Mike the man, I hate Mike the coach.  In today's world, when Arkansas ever does wise up and decides it's time to let Mike go, we'll be the butt of every sports show in the land for getting rid of him, "poor little Arkansas routine".  So many have forgotton the past and many are just to young to know, Arkansas can be a top flight program in Basketball and deservedly so year in and out again with a better coach.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: 1highhog on February 03, 2018, 07:33:06 am
Excuse me, but Mike has had only one decent year since he's been here and I used the word decent.  He didn't win anything then.  He's not coaching the football team here, he's coaching the basketball team, and despite what a lot of the younger generation of posters think on this board, Arkansas used to be one of the top 5 schools in the nation in Basketball and can be again with the right Coach, Mike Anderson was never going to be that from the very beginning.  Look, I love Mike the man, I hate Mike the coach.  In today's world, when Arkansas ever does wise up and decides it's time to let Mike go, we'll be the butt of every sports show in the land for getting rid of him, "poor little Arkansas routine".  So many have forgotton the past and many are just to young to know, Arkansas can be a top flight program in Basketball and deservedly so year in and out again with a better coach.

+1000. I personally hold the basketball program to a higher standard because of where they were. Many of the excuses for poor recruiting, coaching and teams in football just are not here in basketball. We've seen to many small private schools with half the resource of Arkansas make it to the Final Four in the last ten years. We have the facilities. We have the resources. We have the recruiting base. So why are we more Kansas State when Kansas?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Ironhawg

Quote from: hobhog on February 02, 2018, 11:11:28 pm
Because we are a SEC football school and no one cares about basketball? Why on earth would anyone think this is true? Why not just drop basketball and donate his salary to the needy? No reason to keep paying MA and make his 5 supporters happy.

I didn't say this is what I want to happen, just what I believe will happen.  I supported Mike coming here, but he just isn't achieving what I thought he would.  Unfortunately the nickname Mediocre Mike sure seems to apply to his time at Arkansas.  I believe he is going to win just enough to stay employed then will ride off into the sunset.

raz1965

To have such terrible coach an team, the NCAA has the Razorbacks as the 23rd ranked team in the nation according to RPI.  It has been a slow crawl but Mike is headed in the right direction ,  this next recruiting class with the last class will make the next step. Players are the one's that make it happen.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: raz1965 on February 03, 2018, 10:18:15 am
To have such terrible coach an team, the NCAA has the Razorbacks as the 23rd ranked team in the nation according to RPI.  It has been a slow crawl but Mike is headed in the right direction ,  this next recruiting class with the last class will make the next step. Players are the one's that make it happen.

Same copy and paste quote for the last four years.  :puke:

Peter Porker

Why the hypocrisy?

Go back to the Fire Pelphrey threads and read what the folks defending CMA now were saying. Talk about moving the goalposts.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

pignatious

The University is supporting continued mediocrity by extending Mike's contract. We will see at the end of the season whether or not that is the new AD's intention. Mike has had more than enough time to get this turned around. Either we are happy just treading water and getting paid, or we are committed to improving and trying to reach another level. Pretty clear choice to me.
Freedom is never free.

raz1965

I don't think anybody is elated to this point, but we have seen much worse an can see hope ahead, progress is the measuring stick. Stats over the past 4 years say that Arkansas is now a above average program headed in the right direction so reverse is not needed as of today. Time will be the judge, if an when a change is needed I will certainly be in support of one, but for now I see plenty of hope on the way in players.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 03, 2018, 10:03:53 am
I didn't say this is what I want to happen, just what I believe will happen.  I supported Mike coming here, but he just isn't achieving what I thought he would.  Unfortunately the nickname Mediocre Mike sure seems to apply to his time at Arkansas.  I believe he is going to win just enough to stay employed then will ride off into the sunset.

Sorry guys.  I let my pessimism leak out.  I think Mike is a good guy and a decent coach.  I have come to think he is not a very good recruiter or in-game coach.  I have come to believe that what we have gotten so far with his teams is about what we can expect going forward; decent, but nothing great.