Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fred Gulley Report

Started by mbgrulz, January 09, 2008, 12:16:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mbgrulz

January 09, 2008, 12:16:04 am Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 07:31:58 am by mbgrulz
I was fortunate enough to see FG play tonight, and here is what i think of him:

Scoring: B-/C+
Handles: B-
Passing: C+
Defense: C
Basketball IQ: B

Major Strength(s): Ball Handling, Versatility
Weakness: Ball handling, Strength, Durability.

Fred is a long kid who stands 6'1", NO MORE, NO LESS. His versatility allows him to play multiple positions for his team. he can play point, high post, wing, or whatever else they need him to do.

Fred is a GOOD ball handler. He is not a GREAT ball handler. Fred's pocket was picked a couple of times whereas AJ Walton never came close to losing a ball. He also doesn't have the blow by ability and the strength to absorb contact that AJ does.

Fred is built like patrick beverley. he is long and skinny and quick. Fred's problem is that he doesn't have an outside shot like bev does, and he is not a true PG.

SUMMARY: Fred Gulley III is a great high school player. He is multi-talented and seems to be a good teammate. Fred's versatility is also his downfall. He will have trouble finding a definitive position in college. he isn't a true 1 or 2. He is also a ways away strength wise.

Link to the AJ Walton Report:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=183751.msg2855145#msg2855145

Nate-Hawg

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 09, 2008, 12:16:04 am

Fred is a long kid who stands 6'1", NO MORE, NO LESS. His versatility allows him to play multiple positions for his team. he can play point, high post, wing, or whatever else they need him to do.

Fred is a GOOD ball handler. He is not a GREAT ball handler. Fred's pocket was picked a couple of times whereas AJ Walton never came close to losing a ball. He also doesn't have the blow by ability that AJ does.

Fred is built like patrick beverley. he is long and skinny and quick. Fred's problem is that he doesn't have an outside shot like bev does, and he is not a true PG.

SUMMARY: Fred Gulley III is a great high school player. He is multi-talented and seems to be a good teammate. Fred's versatility is also his downfall. He will have trouble finding a definitive position in college. he isn't a true 1 or 2. He is also a ways away strength wise.

Can he handle or not?

saywhat?

They need another Corey Beck.  A true PG, lock down defender, and most importantly a leader.  Arkansas hasn't had a floor general like him since he left.

Beaverfever

We need to take walton and say no thanks to gulley.  We only need one guard in '09.

Foshodo

Quote from: saywhat? on January 09, 2008, 12:51:46 am
They need another Corey Beck.  A true PG, lock down defender, and most importantly a leader.  Arkansas hasn't had a floor general like him since he left.

has anyone else seen any of this quality in Britt? I've loved what i've seen out of this kid so far...

Porkatarian

FWIW, I've always thought Fred was a very good ball handler.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Jerry Swine-feld on January 09, 2008, 08:06:16 am
how in the hell can ball handling be both a strength and weakness?

And One basketball.  The playground in many cities are riddled with players who have ridiculous handles with a low basketball IQ when it comes to passing and knowing real game situations. 

Juboar

I've watched him play since Jr. High.  One thing you left out is his Dennis Rodman ability to know where the ball is going when it leaves a players hand.  Some players have it and some don't.     

Beaverfever

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on January 09, 2008, 08:26:11 am
And One basketball.  The playground in many cities are riddled with players who have ridiculous handles with a low basketball IQ when it comes to passing and knowing real game situations. 
OMG say no to the next Gary Ervin.

hogs63

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 09, 2008, 12:16:04 am

Fred is a GOOD ball handler. He is not a GREAT ball handler. Fred's pocket was picked a couple of times whereas AJ Walton never came close to losing a ball. He also doesn't have the blow by ability and the strength to absorb contact that AJ does.

Keep in mind that if you saw him last night that that was only his second game back from an injury that has kept him out of action all year. He has not been able to condition so the player you saw was not 100%.I bet you would see a different player three weeks from now.

mbgrulz

i meant to put durability as a weakness instead of ball handling. that was by no means the first i have sen of gulley. he is a nice player

Sir Hog Alot

I watched him play in Rogers last night!  He is a good basketball player.  However, I do not feel that he has DI capabilities.  He was quick and did have the ability to find a loose ball.  But he was unable to create shots off the dribble and was not  very effective penetrating the lane.  He also did not shoot the ball very well. He is underdeveloped physically.  I was surprised by all of this.  I had heard a lot of great things about his skills that he did not show tonight.  I hope to see him play again.  Perhaps he just had an off night. 

donk

Quote from: Sir Hog Alot on January 09, 2008, 10:41:28 pm
I watched him play in Rogers last night!  He is a good basketball player.  However, I do not feel that he has DI capabilities.  He was quick and did have the ability to find a loose ball.  But he was unable to create shots off the dribble and was not  very effective penetrating the lane.  He also did not shoot the ball very well. He is underdeveloped physically.  I was surprised by all of this.  I had heard a lot of great things about his skills that he did not show tonight.  I hope to see him play again.  Perhaps he just had an off night. 

I was at the game as well and I thought the same thing as Sir Hog.

Crusader

I, too, was at the Rogers game.  I'm not sure what y'all saw, but Gulley made most of his points penetrating into the lane even though Rogers had packed it down into a tight zone all game.  He took what was available, and when he was getting all the defensive attention he got his other teammates involved.  I was very surprised how effective he was on defense.  Rogers has a 6'7" kid who is a good shooter.  Gulley was on him most of the night and pretty much shut him down.   I think Gulley is a special player who looked pretty good considering he has been out for over a month with a groin injury. 
I love the University of Arkansas!! As a Yankee from Connecticut, whose understanding of college football came from an dad/uncle/bunch of cousins who went to Notre Dame, I love picturing what Arkansas must be like. I picture a bunch of crazed hillbillies, yelling pig sooey at all hours of the day, spreading gossip like wildfire and people running through the streets like Godzilla was on its way.

It's made even better by the fact they have the best player in country on their team and Houston Nutt is batsh*t crazy.  I'm rooting for Arkansas to win all its games....They need an NBC contract.  They need a reality show.  They need constant ESPN coverage.  They should have Gameday live from Fayetteville on a Tuesday for fun.

Comment by Edsall is God on Every Day Should Be Saturday, August 8, 2007

I'm not superstitious; just better than average stitious.

hogball33

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 09, 2008, 11:41:05 am
OMG say no to the next Gary Ervin.

Like where your heads at. Lets just say. Glad he's a senior.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Crusader on January 10, 2008, 12:39:05 pm
I, too, was at the Rogers game.  I'm not sure what y'all saw, but Gulley made most of his points penetrating into the lane even though Rogers had packed it down into a tight zone all game.  He took what was available, and when he was getting all the defensive attention he got his other teammates involved.  I was very surprised how effective he was on defense.  Rogers has a 6'7" kid who is a good shooter.  Gulley was on him most of the night and pretty much shut him down.   I think Gulley is a special player who looked pretty good considering he has been out for over a month with a groin injury. 
he certainly didn't shut the 6'7" kid down. he had 10 pts in a game where the final score was 41-31. this wasn't a game where guys were gonna go off for 25 or 30. the high point man for the night had 15.

Crusader

Fred Gulley didn't play all 32 minutes.  When he was in the big Rogers kid couldn't get anything going.  Not taking anything away from him.  Any high school would be very glad to have him.  Just saying that from my perspective Gulley was playing a complete game - defense, scoring, and distributing.  He handled the ball well in traffic, battled for rebounds against taller players, and seemed to play within himself. 
I love the University of Arkansas!! As a Yankee from Connecticut, whose understanding of college football came from an dad/uncle/bunch of cousins who went to Notre Dame, I love picturing what Arkansas must be like. I picture a bunch of crazed hillbillies, yelling pig sooey at all hours of the day, spreading gossip like wildfire and people running through the streets like Godzilla was on its way.

It's made even better by the fact they have the best player in country on their team and Houston Nutt is batsh*t crazy.  I'm rooting for Arkansas to win all its games....They need an NBC contract.  They need a reality show.  They need constant ESPN coverage.  They should have Gameday live from Fayetteville on a Tuesday for fun.

Comment by Edsall is God on Every Day Should Be Saturday, August 8, 2007

I'm not superstitious; just better than average stitious.