Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prepare For Post Saban SEC

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, October 24, 2017, 10:15:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

At this point, Bielemas departure is a foregone conclusion. We know it and he knows it. Before jumping into another coaching search, lets face the harsh reality that no one will win big until Saban hangs his hat up. They will win the West, The SEC, and more than likely another national championship or two. That's where we are and there's nothing we can do about it. What we can do in the mean time is bring in a young, upcoming coach that could post wins against the rest of the conference for a couple years and build up recruiting. When Saban leaves bama, our program will be firing on all cylinders ready to compete for the west/SEC.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HognotinMemphis

You are right about one thing you stated: Bielema is gone and he knows it. It is already done in my opinion. Hence Bielema's demeanor and lack of care and attention to detail and same lines in response to every question.

I would not be shocked at all if the next head coach is already tentatively hired.

I will know I am right if Bielema is fired on Saturday, Nov 25th and the replacement is announced within a couple of days.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 24, 2017, 10:22:28 am
You are right about one thing you stated: Bielema is gone and he knows it. It is already done in my opinion. Hence Bielema's demeanor and lack of care and attention to detail and same lines in response to every question.

I would not be shocked at all if the next head coach is already tentatively hired.

I will know I am right if Bielema is fired on Saturday, Nov 25th and the replacement is announced within a couple of days.

I hope you're right but no way JL operates that fast.  He's probably still mulling over whether or not to keep BB

Großer Kriegschwein

Alabama will make a hard run at Dabo but I think he stays put. He's a legend now in South Carolina with Clemson fans.

They'll cough up what it takes to keep him.
This is my non-signature signature.

Vantage 8 dude

You and I don't see "eye to eye" on most things. However, in this case we both agree that CBB needs to go and NOW! My only concern is that you're totally "spot on" with your prediction.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on October 24, 2017, 10:30:51 am
I hope you're right but no way JL operates that fast.  He's probably still mulling over whether or not to keep BB
I agree with you about JL but my answer to that is that JL is not in charge here. He is acting on orders from above.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hoggish1

It's getting old; this Saban is god stuff!  :puke:

Vantage 8 dude

The subject of this thread is interesting. We all know that it makes logical sense that at some point ole Nick will move on. Even HE'S not immortal, despite Tide fans looking his as a god.  ;) My only question is short of death what will prompt him to move to his next phase. Will some type of illness motivate him to finally pass the reigns? Or will he finally have enough of winning championships and decide to finally "kick back" and enjoy more time with his family? The guy has far more money that he could spend in three life times. Unfortunately my impression tells me that short of one of these factors he's going to continue coaching for a while. He's the type guy that just lives to work, rather than working to live. He's obsessed with winning and loves the challenge each new season brings.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 24, 2017, 10:32:17 am
Alabama will make a hard run at Dabo but I think he stays put. He's a legend now in South Carolina with Clemson fans.

NEVER underestimate the power and draw for someone getting a call to come home. IF Dabo did go to Bama he wouldn't be the first coach for Bama to do just that. The Bear did it and even said "Mama called".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jgphillips3

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 24, 2017, 10:47:30 am

He is, unquestionably, the most dominant coach in football currently and the most dominant since Bear Bryant in terms of titles.  He will be regarded as one of the greatest coaches in the history of college football.  Until he retires or his recruiting slips (unlikely) he will continue to be the unquestioned best in college football.  The odds of any SEC West team playing for a title until he is gone is very, very, very slim.

tlmack

My only concern is the recruiting part. Seems to me that no matter who the coach is we always stay in the mid 20's. I just hope whoever the coach is can bring in the talent we need to compete.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Its called respect, and if any individual in college sports has earned that, its him
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 10:49:45 am
NEVER underestimate the power and draw for someone getting a call to come home. IF Dabo did go to Bama he wouldn't be the first coach for Bama to do just that. The Bear did it and even said "Mama called".

Has any coach ever followed a retiring legend successfully? The odds of success are low -- and the bar to be measured as a success is ridiculously high.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 24, 2017, 10:15:47 am
At this point, Bielemas departure is a foregone conclusion. We know it and he knows it. Before jumping into another coaching search, lets face the harsh reality that no one will win big until Saban hangs his hat up. They will win the West, The SEC, and more than likely another national championship or two. That's where we are and there's nothing we can do about it. What we can do in the mean time is bring in a young, upcoming coach that could post wins against the rest of the conference for a couple years and build up recruiting. When Saban leaves bama, our program will be firing on all cylinders ready to compete for the west/SEC.

Yes, Butters is gone, but what makes you think Saban is leaving?   ...or leaving anytime soon?

longtimeHogfan

One of these days Nick will suprise everyone and just walk away.  And when he does he'll leave some really big shoes to fill.  Can you think of anyone capable of keeping  Alabama on top like he's done?  I'd hate to be the one that had to try.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: tlmack on October 24, 2017, 10:51:30 am
My only concern is the recruiting part. Seems to me that no matter who the coach is we always stay in the mid 20's. I just hope whoever the coach is can bring in the talent we need to compete.
I don't think our recruiting is as bad as we think. Florida and LSU get 5* players and they still look average. Coaching makes the difference. When you have true freshmen starting over players that have been in your system 3 or 4 years, its an indictment on your coaching ability

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2017, 10:58:55 am
Yes, Butters is gone, but what makes you think Saban is leaving?   ...or leaving anytime soon?
He wont be there forever. Time is an opponent not even Nick Saban cant out scheme

elviscat

Boss Hog, I don't know what you have been smoking but that's not going to have a major effect on the West. They will hire someone who will have all the SEC rings and National Champion rings and photos of NFL players making millions of dollars and it will be the same.

DeltaBoy

Saban takes care of himself and he still loves coaching so I see him working 5-10 more years and that just dooms us to 2-3rd place at best. Cause we know we will not nor can we cheat well enough like Old Myth to build a team that can beat him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 24, 2017, 10:58:50 am
Has any coach ever followed a retiring legend successfully? The odds of success are low -- and the bar to be measured as a success is ridiculously high.

How about the current guy at Free Shoes University, Barry at OU, Jimmy at Miami and in the Pros as well, or even Lou at Arkansas. Generally speaking you are probably correct but as I said when "Mama calls". Perkins, Curry and Stallings all had some success. That's three in a row and Stallings even won a NC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on October 24, 2017, 10:59:09 am
One of these days Nick will suprise everyone and just walk away.  And when he does he'll leave some really big shoes to fill.  Can you think of anyone capable of keeping  Alabama on top like he's done?  I'd hate to be the one that had to try.
I remember for years and years after Bear Bryant had passed that Tide fans were longing for someone who could come in and rekindle the success and glory of this era. While Gene Stallings had several very good years, and one NC, for the most part the time from the Bear's departure and Nick's hiring were pretty lean (at least by Alabama standards). In fact, there used to be a running joke that the 'Bama fans were so desperate for great success they considered digging up  Bryant's corpse and propping it up on their side line in an attempt to rekindle some of the "mojo" of years past.

Yep, who ever takes the reigns from Nick is going to have a MASSIVE task of trying to at least duplicate his record of success. Not sure there is any coach that would be up to the task. Could be Dabo, assuming the school could convince to return to his alma mater, or it might be someone else. Whoever it might be is NOT going to have it easy no matter what kind of facilities they have or the money they's spend of the program.

DeltaBoy

At the rate Nick is going I will be too old to care.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 24, 2017, 11:14:08 am
I remember for years and years after Bear Bryant had passed that Tide fans were longing for someone who could come in and rekindle the success and glory of this era. While Gene Stallings had several very good years, and one NC, for the most part the time from the Bear's departure and Nick's hiring were pretty lean (at least by Alabama standards). In fact, there used to be a running joke that the 'Bama fans were so desperate for great success they considered digging up  Bryant's corpse and propping it up on their side line in an attempt to rekindle some of the "mojo" of years past.

Yep, who ever takes the reigns from Nick is going to have a MASSIVE task of trying to at least duplicate his record of success. Not sure there is any coach that would be up to the task. Could be Dabo, assuming the school could convince to return to his alma mater, or it might be someone else. Whoever it might be is NOT going to have it easy no matter what kind of facilities they have or the money they's spend of the program.

Yes their standards were what got the three immediately after the Bear. ALL of them won until DeBose.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 24, 2017, 10:58:55 am

The fact that he's 65 years old.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 11:18:25 am

Workaholics are a lot of times known to work till they die.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GuvHog on October 24, 2017, 11:18:25 am

And he looks and acts like he is 45.

Sow Lancelot

Kinda hard not to when he keeps kickin' your arse.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

rude1

Agreed, can't use beating Saban as the measuring stick like some of Bret's guys loved to do when trying to tear down BP accomplishments to prop up Bret. You have to  admit that Bama is in dynasty mode and we will  NOT be the ones to dethrone them, have to be realistic and just expect to have success against the rest of the conference. Bret is10-26 with Bama only accounting for 5 of those losses, making him a still paltry 10-21 against the rest of the conference, have to get someone, who can greatly improve on that!!!!!!

DeltaBoy

We are not willing to cheat like Ole Miss to beat him.

USChog

Maybe Saban will take on one last challenge and resurrect the Arkansas progam!

hah, all joking aside, Alabama will win the west every year until Nick is gone. That place is a football factory.

hawgbawb

Trust me, I've spent considerable time in both Clemson and Tuscaloosa. Although Dabo is a Bama boy and it's a more presigious job, Most folks would probably rather live in Clemson.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 24, 2017, 11:56:34 am
Trust me, I've spent considerable time in both Clemson and Tuscaloosa. Although Dabo is a Bama boy and it's a more presigious job, Most folks would probably rather live in Clemson.

I've never spent a great deal of time in either place but from the outside looking in I just get the impression that Clemson fans are appreciative and Bama fans are demanding.  I could be completely wrong on both counts. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Reservoir Hogs

rljjr

JL is going to have to be forced to fire CBB. It can happen, as it did with the MA hiring.

hog.goblin

I really don't want Long making the next coaching hire.

shown006

Quote from: tlmack on October 24, 2017, 10:51:30 am
Yep.  It can be done, but it is difficult.  Mullen at Mississippi State and Petrino  are recent examples of coaches that were able to compete in the West with recruiting classes consistently ranked in the twenties.
WPS!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on October 24, 2017, 12:23:52 pm
think he has a blood boy?

I read an article a few years back that he has a very disciplined routine that affects every part of his life.

hog.goblin

Dabo will be the coach that follows the coach that followed Saban.

Michael_E_Davis

Even without Saban, Alabama will continue to dominate.  Saban has built a machine of recruiting, the likes of which has not been seen before in college football,  and it will continue on because of the Alabama name.  They will get whatever coach they want (or just about) because of the opportunity to coach at Alabama, and they will continue on. That is what happens when you have a coach that builds an incredible dynasty out of a football program.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

clutch

I think Saban coaches until he has the record for most NC's. Wish he could have won last year to speed that process up.

jvanhorn

He is not God, but he is a great coach.  Up there with Wilkinson, Bryant, Broyles, Royal, Hayes, Paterno, Devaney, Schembler, [sp] at Michigan.  Yeah I know Paterno and Hayes, were surely not gods as human beings, lol, but they were great coaches and built programs that lasted far beyond their careers.  Saban, Stoops and Dabo will probably join that list.   After Saban retires who knows how it will go for Alabama.  They certainly had problems after Bryant.  As did Arkansas, Nebraska, Texas after Broyles, Royal and  and Devaney, but one thing is for certain,  They are going to be able to hire a Coach from the top 3 to 5 percent of coaches.

Tusks

It seems a little far fetched but in theory the Hogs could go 11-1 with the only loss to Bama and still make the CFP, especially in the SEC.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Steef

I think Nick wants two more rings. That will put him ahead of Bear.

For the next two years at least, I am a Hog fan first and a Bama fan second.

I want that guy to go home and stay there.

jvanhorn

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 24, 2017, 12:36:16 pm
I really don’t want Long making the next coaching hire.

Well, what if Long hires one of the 4 or 5 names that have repeatedly been mentioned here as being a good hire.  What would be the problem then?

jvanhorn

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 24, 2017, 10:47:56 am
The subject of this thread is interesting. We all know that it makes logical sense that at some point ole Nick will move on. Even HE'S not immortal, despite Tide fans looking his as a god.  ;) My only question is short of death what will prompt him to move to his next phase. Will some type of illness motivate him to finally pass the reigns? Or will he finally have enough of winning championships and decide to finally "kick back" and enjoy more time with his family? The guy has far more money that he could spend in three life times. Unfortunately my impression tells me that short of one of these factors he's going to continue coaching for a while. He's the type guy that just lives to work, rather than working to live. He's obsessed with winning and loves the challenge each new season brings.

Well, then I guess he must be just the opposite of Bob Stoops which, I guess, shows that there is more than one way or one personality to be a successful head coach.  I have no doubt that Stoops was very focused on being a head coach, but also realized there might be more to life than just being a football coach.  I don't think that there is any right or wrong way, just that there is probably not a "one size fits all" standard out there.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 24, 2017, 12:50:10 pm
I read an article a few years back that he has a very disciplined routine that affects every part of his life.
That would be a total and complete understatement. If you think machines and robots have a routine then I can promise you that even they could take lessons from his personal discipline. He's known to follow several simple rules; First, he subscribes to an old adage from business-" Plan your work and work your plan". Secondly, he takes an approach that once you're reached the top there's only one real direction and that's down. And he never, ever wants to become complacent. He realizes that if you don't continually work to improve and be the best you're actually standing still 'cause the competition is always working to gain/catch on you.

RollHogTide

October 24, 2017, 01:43:29 pm #46 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:34:13 pm by RollHogTide
Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on October 24, 2017, 12:56:00 pm
Even without Saban, Alabama will continue to dominate.  Saban has built a machine of recruiting, the likes of which has not been seen before in college football,  and it will continue on because of the Alabama name.  They will get whatever coach they want (or just about) because of the opportunity to coach at Alabama, and they will continue on. That is what happens when you have a coach that builds an incredible dynasty out of a football program.

I am a firm believer that in life, most things are cyclic.  It's good to be a Bama fan now, but it will all come around.  I believe that elite coaches can keep a team relevant, but once that coach moves on (i.e. Pete Carroll - regardless of what you might think of him during his tenure at USC, both Steve Spurrier and Urban Myer at Florida, and Jimmy Johnson at Miami) the mystique of a team diminishes and the new staff is unable to maintain what was built and are certainly unable to move the needle.  One of the advantages of teams like Alabama, Florida, Miami, USC, OSU, Oklahoma, Texas...etc. is that they are probably in a better position to recover if the right staff is put into place since the school does a pretty good job of recruiting itself with players that want to be a part of that team.

Looking only at a few programs (there are several that I previously mentioned) that seemed to hit a solid stride - Florida, USC, and Miami as an example, there were times they were dominant programs, but coaches departing and time took its toll on them.  Regardless of their current records - Florida is currently struggling with an offensive identity, and only recently has USC and Miami become relevant again - and even that is questionable.   

DeltaBoy

Nothing changes till Nick retires.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 24, 2017, 10:49:45 am

Agreed......If 'Bama offers Dabo the job, it doesn't matter how much Clemson offered him, I think he'd be gone......I can't see any talented HC turning down an offer to take over Saban's Bama........the only way he doesn't is if he wins another couple of Nattys with Clemson......if he wins three with them then I could see him staying put because that turns him into a legend in his own right.....Marks the dawn of the Dabo-Clemson dynasty you might say and every coach wants to become the next Bryan-Bama, Saban-Bama type legend......if he wins a couple of more natty's with Clemson, he'll stay.....but I'm not so sure that'll happen......here's my thing.....I think we should count on Bama as a loss every year.....that should be the one forgivable loss every season......like in the NFL, it doesn't matter how good your team is, a loss to the Patriots is almost always seen as a given and the losing team's fans, though it's upsetting, can just almost forgive their team for that (unless the blow a huge halftime lead in the super-bowl).....my point with that is that we should be like that with any coach we hire......I'm not mad at Bert for losing to Bama......I'm not even mad he hasn't won the SEC West......I'm mad because he's making us look like idiots against everyone we play......We don't just lose, WE REALLY LOSE......We are like the Michelanglo's and Da Vinci's of the art of losing.......Bielema could write a book titled "The Art of Losing: Razorback Style" when he retires to help other coaches learn how not to suck as bad as he does today..........What we need in our next head coach is someone who has energy and an ability to develop talent.....Petrino was a master at developing talent, Nutt was better than average at it for the most part.....they could take low level recruits and get them to play at a much higher, almost elite level, but the idea that we'll ever beat Saban's Bama is just a dream......I'm not saying it's wrong for us to have that dream.....We should......but we shouldn't base our coach's reputation and success off that one game......that's what too many SEC schools are doing today.....they may have a good coach, but if they drop that Bama game and maybe another along they way, their ready to boot out their coaches.......just a bad idea in my opinion.....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jvanhorn on October 24, 2017, 01:43:12 pm
Well, then I guess he must be just the opposite of Bob Stoops which, I guess, shows that there is more than one way or one personality to be a successful head coach.  I have no doubt that Stoops was very focused on being a head coach, but also realized there might be more to life than just being a football coach.  I don't think that there is any right or wrong way, just that there is probably not a "one size fits all" standard out there.
Uhh...never said there was a "one size fits all" approach to coaching. Just like there's no one way to run an offense and/or defense. We also know that not everyone is a workaholic, just like not everyone's happy-go-lucky or "laid back". All I know is that ole Nick is EXTREMELY intense and HIGHLY organized and this is much of what drives him. And as far as Stoops is concerned I have no firm clue. It does appear, however, that he obviously has other priorities and/or he's at a different stage in his life.