Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shot my first deer this morning!

Started by theFlyingHog, December 24, 2014, 12:10:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

With a crossbow. One drop of blood 60 yards away, no deer anywhere. Looked like a great shot

grayhawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 24, 2014, 12:10:39 pm
With a crossbow. One drop of blood 60 yards away, no deer anywhere. Looked like a great shot
ouch,  do you know anyone with a trail dog?

twistitup

Keep looking if you found blood. Mark that spot and work out in circles from there.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

theFlyingHog

theFlyingHog

Quote from: twistitup on December 24, 2014, 12:15:05 pm
Keep looking if you found blood. Mark that spot and work out in circles from there.
We spent two and a half hours looking all over. Bolt had good blood and hair on it, musta just not hit it very well. Gonna spread out the search this afternoon

pigture perfect

Hope you find him. Miserable feeling when that happens.

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

theFlyingHog

JoeyCapital

That x-bow musta been worthless. What kinda bolt did you use? It wasn't any of those crappy rage mechanicals, was it?
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

theFlyingHog

Quote from: golf2day on December 25, 2014, 07:35:54 am
That x-bow musta been worthless. What kinda bolt did you use? It wasn't any of those crappy rage mechanicals, was it?
I was trying to figure how to reply to this when I saw it was you. I'm about to go look some more

AcornHunter

To me, a great shot–I'm talking rifle–is through both lungs, with an exit hole that leaves a good blood trail.  If you think that you got both lungs, the deer could still go as far as 80 yards before dying.  Eighty is the farthest I've had one go, and it was done in by a 150 grain Nostler Partition out of a 300 Weatherby Magnum and left an easily followed blood trail.  They are amazing animals.

You might want to widen your search if you can't locate a good blood dog.  It's cold, heavy frost last night, ground's cold; if it dies in the shade, it'll remain good meat for a long while, big worry would be canines.

Good opportunity to learn, good luck and have fun!

JoeyCapital

Quote from: AcornHunter on December 25, 2014, 11:09:42 am
To me, a great shot–I'm talking rifle–is through both lungs, with an exit hole that leaves a good blood trail.  If you think that you got both lungs, the deer could still go as far as 80 yards before dying.  Eighty is the farthest I've had one go, and it was done in by a 150 grain Nostler Partition out of a 300 Weatherby Magnum and left an easily followed blood trail.  They are amazing animals.

You might want to widen your search if you can't locate a good blood dog.  It's cold, heavy frost last night, ground's cold; if it dies in the shade, it'll remain good meat for a long while, big worry would be canines.

Good opportunity to learn, good luck and have fun!

That friggin deer is a ninja. He smashed him from about 25 yds, clean thru n thru, blood and bone and hair left on the bolt. We searched every inch in about a 200 yd circle, and we went further in his likely travel direction. One of these days we are gonna read about a deer that was found in Cabot that had no vital organs and then we will know what happened.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Albert Einswine

Quote from: golf2day on December 25, 2014, 03:43:20 pm
That friggin deer is a ninja. He smashed him from about 25 yds, clean thru n thru, blood and bone and hair left on the bolt. We searched every inch in about a 200 yd circle, and we went further in his likely travel direction. One of these days we are gonna read about a deer that was found in Cabot that had no vital organs and then we will know what happened.

Without being there and seeing the shot, I'd guess maybe it was high just above the shoulder and hit that void where nothing vital gets raked and they don't bleed much.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

AcornHunter

On a search I keep telling myself, go slow, just look for white, not the whole animal.  A deer that collapses belly-down with no white showing–which they can do at the end of a death run, especially if the antlers or head are supported upright by a tangle of rattans or sawbriars–is the most difficult for me to find.  Maybe it's because I'm concentrating on the white, which usually, for me, pays off.  I enjoy looking for downed deer.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 25, 2014, 04:52:39 pm
Without being there and seeing the shot, I'd guess maybe it was high just above the shoulder and hit that void where nothing vital gets raked and they don't bleed much.
You're probably right. I had turned my head to whisper at him when he fired, so I didn't get a good look at the hit. He's a great shot, but I've gotta say the stand was shaking a bit:)

Gotta give him props, though. He had a great look at the baby of the group but passed it up for a chance at the biggest doe.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: golf2day on December 25, 2014, 06:03:02 pm
You're probably right. I had turned my head to whisper at him when he fired, so I didn't get a good look at the hit. He's a great shot, but I've gotta say the stand was shaking a bit:)

Gotta give him props, though. He had a great look at the baby of the group but passed it up for a chance at the biggest doe.

I killed a nice doe with my bow up here several years back on the 21st of October and when I skinned her down I realized she had a broadhead wound in that area and the skin flap hadn't quite healed on one side. But internally she was completely healed up even though she'd been shot clean through at some point in the prior 3 weeks. They're very physically resilient.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 25, 2014, 06:19:07 pm

I killed a nice doe with my bow up here several years back on the 21st of October and when I skinned her down I realized she had a broadhead wound in that area and the skin flap hadn't quite healed on one side. But internally she was completely healed up even though she'd been shot clean through at some point in the prior 3 weeks. They're very physically resilient.
I feel confident that we'll meet again. I'm gonna have to headshoot that black magic mofo next time I see her.

theFlyingHog

I feel pretty sure I was a little high up on it. Was planning to go low for the heart but I forgot everything when I actually saw deer

theFlyingHog

Searched another 3 hours today. I didn't hit no lungs or I woulda found it. Got some great scouting in though! Them deer ain't gonna know what happened

str8volfan

I tracked a deer over half a mile several years ago that lost 75 percent of his internal organs about 200 yards from the shot. The heart was about the only thing left inside by the time we found it. I dont know how they do it, but U have seen it on a few occasions. I shot one 4 years ago with a 300WSM at about 75 yards broad side. He ran like he hadnt even been hit. I found him about 100 yards in the woods tangled up in a bunch of vines. When we skinned him, we couldnt save anything but the hind quarters. It totally destroyed his front end, we jerked his right front left off unloading him out of the truck. Both tenderloins were junk as well. I guess their adrenaline level is much higher than mine in a situation like that.

twistitup

Quote from: str8volfan on December 26, 2014, 12:02:31 am
I tracked a deer over half a mile several years ago that lost 75 percent of his internal organs about 200 yards from the shot. The heart was about the only thing left inside by the time we found it. I dont know how they do it, but U have seen it on a few occasions. I shot one 4 years ago with a 300WSM at about 75 yards broad side. He ran like he hadnt even been hit. I found him about 100 yards in the woods tangled up in a bunch of vines. When we skinned him, we couldnt save anything but the hind quarters. It totally destroyed his front end, we jerked his right front left off unloading him out of the truck. Both tenderloins were junk as well. I guess their adrenaline level is much higher than mine in a situation like that.

How did you react when shot w a 300WSM?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....