Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

got me a new deer rifle

Started by pick_DA_EAGLES, November 17, 2014, 01:03:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pick_DA_EAGLES

Its a remington 700 sps tactical in .308. Has a bell and carlson stock on it. 20" barrel, i believe the twist is 1 in 12. Has leupold bases, no scope. Anyone have any dealings with one of these rifles? I will be using it to deer hunt open bean fields. First 308 i ever owned, no idea where to start with ammo. Also have to get me a scope, budget is no more than $400, but if i could get by with $250 that would be great.

Opinions?

AcornHunter

Congratulations, I wish to you many happy hours of shooting.

In 30 cal, I would guess 1:10 twist rather than 1:12, but it's your gun.

You should be able to find serviceable glass for $400 or less.

I would start with reading up on how to shoot in a new barrel.  This will also provide proper cleaning info.

In store-bought 30 cal ammo I have always had good service with 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt.  They were in 30-06, though.

Bean field shooting:  If you really want to reach out there, I suggest that you look into reloading.  It's unreal what a good gun can do with the exact load it likes and the shooter knowing the ballistics of the round.  Reloading is a very interesting hobby and, in the long run, can save you bucks . . . those in your pocket and lost, gut-shot ones.

Be careful and have fun!

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: AcornHunter on November 17, 2014, 07:13:00 am
Congratulations, I wish to you many happy hours of shooting.

In 30 cal, I would guess 1:10 twist rather than 1:12, but it's your gun.

You should be able to find serviceable glass for $400 or less.

I would start with reading up on how to shoot in a new barrel.  This will also provide proper cleaning info.

In store-bought 30 cal ammo I have always had good service with 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt.  They were in 30-06, though.

Bean field shooting:  If you really want to reach out there, I suggest that you look into reloading.  It's unreal what a good gun can do with the exact load it likes and the shooter knowing the ballistics of the round.  Reloading is a very interesting hobby and, in the long run, can save you bucks . . . those in your pocket and lost, gut-shot ones.

Be careful and have fun!

I got the gun used, its less than a year old. The guy who had it didnt like the weight, he lives in the mountains and walks a lot. Said it had about a hundred rounds fired through it, so i was thinking the barrel is probably broke in?

Maybe reloading would be an option in the future, but with Christmas and 4 birthday in the next 6 weeks, its not in the "have fun budget". Lol

On the twist rate, nothing i can do about that i dont think, right?

DeltaBoy

Dad still uses my 700 in 7 mm magnum.  It will slap Bambi down at 500 yards.

150 grain Remmy Cor-Loc's is all I used and all Dad used for the past 40 years.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kodiakisland

Wouldn't worry too much about barrel break in.  Every expert has their own way of doing it, from nothing to wearing the barrel out.  If it shoots fine as is, rock on.
For a long range rifle I'd rather have 24-26 inches than 20.  In fact, even for a brush gun I don't like 20in or shorter barrels.  Not that you can do anything about the length now.  It will have plenty of muzzle blast and lower velocities than ideal but will work.
You should be able to find decent loads shooting 150-165gr bullets with no problem.  For a great scope for less money, a Leupold VXII 3-9 is hard to beat.
It will not shoot flat, so a range finder and turrets will come in handy of you plan to shoot long range with it.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

pigture perfect

You can find alot of good optics for the $250 range. I agree about the 20 in. barrel. .308 is a great long range caliber. Just ask the Armed Forces. Good luck and happy hunting.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Find what it likes , dial it in and shoot some deer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

woodrow hog call

I shoot 165 grain in my BLR 308, it seems to like them pretty well. I have some 150 grain that I want to try out for a little more range maybe but I haven't done it yet.

I am very pleased with my rifle, deer don't travel far and most often die within sight.
Missed a nice one a few years ago, but it wasn't the guns fault. I was tracking him in my scope and didn't realize that I had swung around til I had a limb right in the line of fire that was so close it didn't appear in the scope. Pulled the trigger and the bark an wood went flying.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: woodrow hog call on November 18, 2014, 04:31:54 pm
I shoot 165 grain in my BLR 308, it seems to like them pretty well. I have some 150 grain that I want to try out for a little more range maybe but I haven't done it yet.

I am very pleased with my rifle, deer don't travel far and most often die within sight.
Missed a nice one a few years ago, but it wasn't the guns fault. I was tracking him in my scope and didn't realize that I had swung around til I had a limb right in the line of fire that was so close it didn't appear in the scope. Pulled the trigger and the bark an wood went flying.

Boo Hiss that stinks.   I had a cousin miss one pert near like that.

ThisTeetsTaken

I shoot a .308 and have for years. THE most accurate rounds I have found anywhere are Remingtin 150gr Core-Lokt.  I don't even think about buying a different round. Easy on the pocket book also. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 19, 2014, 08:40:06 pm
I shoot a .308 and have for years. THE most accurate rounds I have found anywhere are Remingtin 150gr Core-Lokt.  I don't even think about buying a different round. Easy on the pocket book also. 

Yep my 760 30-06 has loved Remington Core Lock 150 rounds.  At the range it will clover leaf 3 rounds at 150 yards and keep them in a 2 inch circle all the way out to 300 with just 3 inchs of drop

1highhog

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on November 17, 2014, 01:03:32 am
Its a remington 700 sps tactical in .308. Has a bell and carlson stock on it. 20" barrel, i believe the twist is 1 in 12. Has leupold bases, no scope. Anyone have any dealings with one of these rifles? I will be using it to deer hunt open bean fields. First 308 i ever owned, no idea where to start with ammo. Also have to get me a scope, budget is no more than $400, but if i could get by with $250 that would be great.

Opinions?

One of the best overall calibers ever produced,  I have a .308 Browning lever action with Monarch 12x50 scope on it, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot and make a clean kill