Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Channel 11 reporting a Mt. lion killed in Bradley county.

Started by pigture perfect, November 13, 2014, 04:29:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

str8volfan

I have seen 3 black helicopters fly over just by making one post...

str8volfan

howie76

I know I'm gonna get slammed for this but there is no way I want any kind of lion population where I hunt. Which is southwest Arkansas. I would be worried to death abt my kids and other family members while they were huntin. Like a poster said earlier, when they get hungry they're gonna eat somethin! Id kill em all and not say a word to anybody!! Bash away PETA members.

twistitup

Quote from: howie76 on November 30, 2014, 08:16:50 am
I know I'm gonna get slammed for this but there is no way I want any kind of lion population where I hunt. Which is southwest Arkansas. I would be worried to death abt my kids and other family members while they were huntin. Like a poster said earlier, when they get hungry they're gonna eat somethin! Id kill em all and not say a word to anybody!! Bash away PETA members.
I agree actually, but repopulation is not our choice.  Once established, they will breed quicker than they are killed.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

pigture perfect

I still hate that the cat was killed needlessly, unless str8 tells us that the cat was being a menace.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: str8volfan on November 29, 2014, 11:44:13 pm

just so you dont think I am telling a fib.

Don't believe you are "telling a fib"....but so far, you haven't really told us anything.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

PharmacistHog

Str8's lease borders mine.  He ain't lying.  (he just doesn't seem interested in telling ya'll the story)
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on December 02, 2014, 10:46:15 am
Str8's lease borders mine.  He ain't lying.  (he just doesn't seem interested in telling ya'll the story)

Tell us then Phog.  We know you know!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 02, 2014, 03:00:24 pm
Pharm can't tell us the whole story. It involves illegal shipments of HGH and other steroids and a poor abandoned barn cat he grew into a monster.

See if I tell you anything else, grizzly adams.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

pick_DA_EAGLES

The guy i work for, just sent me a trail camera picture of a big cat. We farm land between black swamp and dagmar. This might be why im not seeing many deer and the ones im seeing are skittish. Not sure how to upload picture from my phone.

str8volfan

riddle me this. IF the AGFC says that cougars/mountain lions dont exist in Arkansas, why did I see 2 pictures of a pair of them on a game cam that were taken 3 days ago about 1/2 mile from where that one was harvested?

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: str8volfan on December 05, 2014, 08:02:01 pm
riddle me this. IF the AGFC says that cougars/mountain lions dont exist in Arkansas, why did I see 2 pictures of a pair of them on a game cam that were taken 3 days ago about 1/2 mile from where that one was harvested?

I bet they were gay. 🐆🐆🐆🐆

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 05, 2014, 09:01:50 pm
Game & Fish doesn't say that. They say they have no proof there is a breeding population - not that there aren't any.

This is correct.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

BassinHawg

It's been said before but the truth is the AGFC knows that they exist.

If the AGFC admitted they were out there and may possibly be breeding they would have to come up with a program to manage them and that may mean that some public and federal lands could get closed down for hunting.

Just get a good shovel and a couple bags of lime and keep quiet!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

str8volfan

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 05, 2014, 09:01:50 pm
Game & Fish doesn't say that. They say they have no proof there is a breeding population - not that there aren't any.
bull. Had a game warden tell me face to face 3 days after the first cat was killed that he was told to answer all mountain lion questions with "mountain lions dont exist in Arkansas"

str8volfan

Quote from: BassinHawg on December 05, 2014, 10:29:55 pm

If the AGFC admitted they were out there and may possibly be breeding they would have to come up with a program to manage them and that may mean that some public and federal lands could get closed down for hunting.

WINNER

kodiakisland

Why on earth would any land get closed down for hunting?  Mnt lions are not endangered or federally protected animals.  They are hunted in almost every state that has stable populations.  There are lots of reasons, many relating to $$$, but the shutting down of land access is not one of them.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 05, 2014, 11:31:05 pm
Why on earth would any land get closed down for hunting?  Mnt lions are not endangered or federally protected animals.  They are hunted in almost every state that has stable populations.  There are lots of reasons, many relating to $$$, but the shutting down of land access is not one of them.

Pearls before swine my friend, peals before swine.

PorkRinds

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 05, 2014, 11:31:05 pm

Wrong.

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

RazorbackRon

Most hunters would call this poaching ..... I also call it ILLEGAL.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

BassinHawg

Quote from: RazorbackRon on December 06, 2014, 03:34:15 pm
Most hunters would call this poaching ..... I also call it ILLEGAL.

I would agree, the shovel and lime comment was just a tongue in cheek jab that really was just meant to tell folks deal with it.

At my current age I probably wouldn't shoot one if I saw it but a few years back when my son and nephews hunted with me on family land I probably would have.

I have only seen one is my life and it was while Turkey hunting near Devils Den. We have seen tracks on our land a couple of times so we know they pass through from time to time.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

kodiakisland

December 06, 2014, 09:15:44 pm #72 Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:30:52 pm by kodiakisland
Interesting article on AR predators I recently found on the web.  Anyone else got any articles from years past?  It'd be neat to read stuff from the 40s and 50s when wolves were still roaming the hills.

http://libinfo.uark.edu/aas/issues/2001v55/v55a3.pdf

RazorbackRon

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 06, 2014, 09:15:44 pm
Interesting article on AR predators I recently found on the web.  Anyone else got any articles from years past?  It's be neat to read stuff from the 40s and 50s when wolves were still roaming the hills.

http://libinfo.uark.edu/aas/issues/2001v55/v55a3.pdf

Good read Kodiak but NO mention of black panthers.    ;)

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

kodiakisland

I've read some of the book that Featherstonhaugh wrote about traveling through Arkansas in the 1800s.  He wasn't that impressed with AR but did mention the numerous mnt lions and bears.

PorkRinds

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 06, 2014, 12:06:51 am
Yes you are.

Right. I guess I should listen to you, instead of a good friend who was a lead researcher for the AGFC on the mountain lion issue.  I'm sure you know way more than he does, with all your expertise. You're way more credible.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 06, 2014, 10:11:39 pm
Right. I guess I should listen to you, instead of a good friend who was a lead researcher for the AGFC on the mountain lion issue.  I'm sure you know way more than he does, with all your expertise. You're way more credible.

Mountain lions aren't endangered or federally protected. Explain why hunting lands would be closed.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kodiakisland

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 06, 2014, 10:11:39 pm

OK, give us some reasons why.  I'd love to hear them.  Educate me.

Mnt lions are common animals that are in no way federally protected.  It is completely up to the individual states as to how they want to "conserve" them.  Now sure, Arkansas could say we are closing all deer hunting in the state if they want to, but there is absolutely nothing to mandate it.  There are stable mnt lion populations in over 20 states with hunting in at least 14.  None of them are closing deer hunting or any other land use because of mnt lions.  In fact, some of them have actual endangered animals that have moved in recently and they still haven't had to restrict any activities.

Any idea how TX conserves mnt lions?  They designate them as non game animals and allow them to be shot year round.  AR could do the same if they wanted to.

So anyway, please let us know why public lands will soon have yellow police tape across them so we don't go trampling on the same ground a mnt lion might travel on.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 07, 2014, 01:15:00 pm
Your buddy is telling you AGFC is going to shut down public land hunting due to mountain lions?
i

Yes and no. He says th reason the Agfc is denying mountain lion populations in the state is because they don't want to have to shut any public land down. It's not like the issue with an endangered animal, where it would be shut down forever. But he said that if they find a breeding population they would have to (or feel like they would have to) temporarily shut down any land where the habitat was located to study  the population and consider conservation efforts.  Mountain lions are not endangered, but if they were found breeding in arkansas they would be VERY rare on a state level and likely would be targeted for conservation efforts, which could in fact end up closing specific areas of public land. But the claim that their actions in denying the existence has nothing to do with access to public lands is just not true. As I said, one of the lead researchers on the project told me that directly.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 07, 2014, 02:43:42 pm
i

Yes and no. He says th reason the Agfc is denying mountain lion populations in the state is because they don't want to have to shut any public land down. It's not like the issue with an endangered animal, where it would be shut down forever. But he said that if they find a breeding population they would have to (or feel like they would have to) temporarily shut down any land where the habitat was located to study  the population and consider conservation efforts.  Mountain lions are not endangered, but if they were found breeding in arkansas they would be VERY rare on a state level and likely would be targeted for conservation efforts, which could in fact end up closing specific areas of public land. But the claim that their actions in denying the existence has nothing to do with access to public lands is just not true. As I said, one of the lead researchers on the project told me that directly.

Still doesn't make any sense to me. They're mountain lions, not Ivory Billed Woodpeckers.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kodiakisland

Maybe AR is the lone wolf so to speak when it comes to land closure.  I wouldn't put anything past AGFC, but there is no reason for it and no other state has felt they needed to do that.  Even for actual breeding endangered animals.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 07, 2014, 02:58:23 pm

Still doesn't make any sense to me. They're mountain lions, not Ivory Billed Woodpeckers.

Please don't say that.  Now some of Str8 friends will be blasting away at every woodpecker they see. 

"I was afraid he was going to peck me".

pigture perfect

I would like some of you guys live trap a genuine Arkansas Mt. Lion. I'm sure the Little Rock zoo would love to have one.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

RazorbackRon

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 07, 2014, 05:57:41 pm
I would like some of you guys live trap a genuine Arkansas Mt. Lion. I'm sure the Little Rock zoo would love to have one.

A Fouke Monster would be cool too.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 07, 2014, 02:43:42 pm
i

I've attached a link to the recovery plan for the Florida panther which is an endangered species.  This documents speaks to a lot of things but there is nothing to indicate or recommend the wholesale closure of public lands. This is a very detailed process aimed at restoring the wild population of these cats and doing so in a manner to minimize the impact on humans.  Again, shutting down public land is nowhere in there. 

The animals being seen in Arkansas are most likely the western species, and they are in no way endangered.  The only possibility, that I see, for these animals to receive federal protection is under the "similarity of appearance" clause under the endangered species act.  When two species live in overlapping ranges and one of them is an endangered species, both animals are afforded protection because people can't tell them apart.  Such a case occurs in South Florida where the American Crocodile resides.  The alligators look similar to the crocodile so the alligator, which would not be on the threatened or endangered list at all now, is given a status of "similarity of appearance (threatened)."

Since the range of the western species of mountain lion does not coincide with that of the Florida panther, the similarity of appearance issue is moot.

Also, the person who signed the recovery plan, Sam D. Hamilton, was a personal acquaintance of mine.  Before his death he went on to be the Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the premier conservation agency in the world.  So, I'm calling TRUMP over your friend who worked for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Panther%20Recovery%20Plan.pdf

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 07, 2014, 05:57:41 pm

Hey....yeah..."Genuine Arkansas Mtn Lion"...good point.  Maybe that's the answer, was this really a lion?   Maybe it was just another Bigfoot scam.  Just turn that lion over in the picture that was killed in Bradley county...& see what the tag says where it was made.  If it says... "Genuine China".....the AGFC won't have to worry about doing any studies or land closings....

Also....if it was just a fake lion that was made in China....that should explain why there isn't any evidence of breeding pairs around here.....

vol_in_ar

PonderinHog

str8volfan

str8volfan

vol_in_ar

Quote from: str8volfan on December 15, 2014, 08:25:56 pm
very good sir. Thanks for asking. How have you been?

been a good holiday...back in TN till New Years

pigture perfect

Seeing strange signs out at the lease. Too big for bobcat.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 08, 2015, 12:24:05 am

Seeing strange signs out at the lease. Too big for bobcat.

What kind of signs?  What area is your lease located?

pigture perfect

Cat prints about the size of my fist. Between Malvern and Willow.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 08, 2015, 10:47:40 pm

Cat prints about the size of my fist. Between Malvern and Willow.

Yeah, I can see how that would get your attention.  I was on a lease for several years very close to Willow.  It was about 4-5 miles west of Tulip.   

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

grayhawg

I heard stories about them when I was just a kid, and seen one cross the road in the 70's. They are here.

rickm1976

Quote from: grayhawg on October 30, 2015, 02:22:04 pm
I heard stories about them when I was just a kid, and seen one cross the road in the 70's. They are here.

We had one come right up to our campsite after dark back in the mid-70's when I was in HS.  My dad, uncle, and brother got a good look at it.  It circled around just about 20 yards out, and "screamed" a couple of times - I guess because we were uninvited guests in his/her territory.  My uncle and I were ready to pack up and go home, but my dad talked us out of it.  My brother was so petrified with fear he was unable to speak, and couldn't express an opinion, but he stayed too.  We were staying in a big wall tent, and I didn't get much sleep the next two nights.  I have seen them a couple of times in the years since then, and laughed every time I heard someone from AGFC deny their existence.  Game warden once told me we were seeing large Bobcats, but Bobcats don't have 3' long tails.  I've killed many Bobcats predator hunting, and know what they look and sound like.

DeltaBoy

They been in the state forever the numbnuts with AG&F were too boneheaded to accept the reports we made from our trips deep into the White River Refuge.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CPO Hog

Quote from: rickm1976 on November 02, 2015, 12:52:00 pm
We had one come right up to our campsite after dark back in the mid-70's when I was in HS.  My dad, uncle, and brother got a good look at it.  It circled around just about 20 yards out, and "screamed" a couple of times - I guess because we were uninvited guests in his/her territory.  My uncle and I were ready to pack up and go home, but my dad talked us out of it.  My brother was so petrified with fear he was unable to speak, and couldn't express an opinion, but he stayed too.  We were staying in a big wall tent, and I didn't get much sleep the next two nights.  I have seen them a couple of times in the years since then, and laughed every time I heard someone from AGFC deny their existence.  Game warden once told me we were seeing large Bobcats, but Bobcats don't have 3' long tails.  I've killed many Bobcats predator hunting, and know what they look and sound like.
This sounds similar to a squirrel hunting & fishing weekend I was on in the Little Mo river bottoms outside of Gurdon in 77 or maybe 78. The cat visited both nights, ate fish & squirrel guts and crashed our cooking table setup.