Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's your plan?

Started by AcornHunter, November 06, 2014, 06:17:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AcornHunter

What type of deer habitat do you plan to hunt opening day?  What's your line of thought?  If you have a shot what do you plan to shoot?

I plan to hunt two bottom land wood lines mainly, from a Jeep parked behind a low brush pile in the edge of a third wood line.  The fourth side is an open field, clover and some rye grass just starting.  If they travel as they have at times in the past when acorns are in the willow oak flats–as they are this year– the shot will be about 200 yards with a Browning 270 Win Safari, 130 grain Hornady SST, reloads.  I can't ever remember the name of the scope,  I should remember, it seems, because I like it.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

root_hawg

Hunted the same stand for the last 5 years; 130 class + every year; unfortunately the timber man said it would be a clearing next year

AcornHunter

I'm saddened to hear about the impending loss of what reads to be good hunting and deer habitat.  I've been down that trail before.  I went to my stand one morning several years ago on timber company land down in deep East Texas.  Not long after daylight, instead of being enveloped by what had previously been serenity and natural beauty, I heard logging machinery cranking up in the near distance.  I climbed down and went to the house, took my stand with me.

Clear-cutting a wood disappoints us hunters; think about what it does to the many animals.  Anything that depends on an acorn for eats has a hard way to go and it's getting harder by the thousands of acres.  Before Weyerhaeuser bought out Dierks, I don't believe that clear-cutting was employed in Arkansas.

Presently I am fortunate enough to be able to hunt private land and I give thanks for being able to do so.

Try to have fun.

root_hawg

I will take what they clear-cut; make lanes in the thicket that will grow there, plant food plots and wait for it to get right again.  By that time, my grandson will be good to go!