Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Myth of Brett Farve...

Started by Big Papa Satan, May 09, 2005, 01:16:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Papa Satan

Apparently everyone doesn't buy into that load of horseshit.  Good ol' Farve, you can always count on a timely interception, or two, or three, or four, from him.

"But not in Green Bay. Making it worse for Favre is the fact he's no longer in a position to talk about what does or doesn't win games.

Since 1998, Mike Holmgren's last year as Packers head coach, Favre has started seven playoff games and won just two, throwing 16 interceptions (against 11 touchdowns) in the process. In his past two divisional-round playoff contests, Favre gave away a game in St. Louis with six interceptions and handed another to the Eagles with a pick on the first series of overtime. Favre's latest playoff appearance, against the Vikings and their 29th-ranked defense last January in Green Bay, resulted in four interceptions and a 31-17 loss.

It seems the myth of Brett Favre has obscured the reality. Everyone believes he's infallible at Lambeau Field, even though he's actually lost eight games there the past two years. Everyone believes he's unstoppable in cold weather, even though two of his last three playoff exits came at home against dome teams. Everyone is sure that, with 225 consecutive starts, no one is tougher, even though Favre so routinely shies away from contact that he'll unload the ball anywhere, anytime."

Greatest QB in NFL history?  Not even close.

Packer fans, start the bitching

atuHOG

I've been a packers fan for many years.  My take on Farve, like that of Jones, changes from play to play.  Both play great ball, march downfield within scoring distance, and then choke either by interception or fumble. I love watching Farve play when he's on, but will be glad to get some consistancy back at Lambeau.

RebelliousHog

I also have been a Packer fan for years (since before the IceBowl against the cowgirls). Favre has made me want to scream and pull my hair out (God knows I don't need THAT) much as it has Sherman and Holmgren. I think the talent pool in GB has fallen since the Superbowl games against the Pats and the Broncs. The better players keep leaving for more money to other teams, and the D-backs tackle and cover like the UA d-backs. Which is why I think GB wasted their pick on Carroll. I think Favre has tried to carry the team and he just cannot do it anymore. I DO think he is one tough SOB. He is a throwback to some of the older style players of the '50s and '60s.   I think if GB had the quality of players they had in the late '90s Favre would be effective again. I fear that may not happen, however. As far as the laydown for Strahan? BFD.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

xkyrie

Favre doesn't get my vote, as he violates the much-needed policy prohibiting the usage of non-phonetic names, or ones that suspicously sound foreign, as if they have something to hide, other than his interception %, or the fact that he likes ketchup on hot dogs. nuff said.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: xkyrie on May 13, 2005, 11:29:36 am
Favre doesn't get my vote, as he violates the much-needed policy prohibiting the usage of non-phonetic names, or ones that suspicously sound foreign, as if they have something to hide, other than his interception %, or the fact that he likes ketchup on hot dogs. nuff said.

Ketchup on hot dogs :puke:  'nuff said.

maniax22bolts20

How about the WR and RB catch the damn ball like they are paid to do

xkyrie

I hate when someone adds a sensible comment after my post? Can't you see I'm trying to be smart here?

Please, have mercy, don't ruin it.

I love azaleas.

Brett Hitman Hog

This is the same arguement people every freaking 10 years ... before Favre they pointed out the flaws in John Elway (who I can't stand because I feel he is a [CENSORED] bag, but a hell of a player none the less) until he finally won a Superbowl.  After Elway, the natural pick is Favre.  Basically, I'll just say get off the dude's nuts.  There is NO one else in the league that could have won with the team put around him. 

1. The Defense is conistantly getting worse and worse and worse no matter what they do.  After the old guard of Reggie White and Leroy Butler players just weren't what they used to be. 

2. Any more there Favre  has no pick game reciever to throw the ball to.  Donald Driver stepped it up for a bit, but he's not a number one threat.  He can make catches over the middle and is tough, but ain't the best GB could have.  Now you have Javon Walker ... who thinks more about the money than football, that's fine.  But he isn't quite there to make that threat.  How about TE, sure Bubba made the Pro Bowl a few years, but Favre has never been as comfortable throwing to him as he did with Mark Chmura.  Chmura would come up with the ball every time it seems.  But the days of Sterling Sharp, Robert Brooks, and Antonio Freeman are gone.  Look at Montana, once he left SF and lost Rice, his numbers weren't quite the same, were they? 

3. In some regards Green is an upgrade to Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens.  I loved all of those guys, but Green is a great runner, with good hands in the backfield.  Once he's running those hands can turn to darn and it's fumblerooski all over.

4.  Lastly, the days of return men Desmond Howard and Allen Rossum are long gone too.  I helps to have a threat in the return game.  Maybe if GB would have kept Rossum from heading to the Dirty Dirty it would be better in Special Teams.

If the blame all falls on Favre, that's fine.  Just wait till he's gone ... Mr. Peyton Manning, you'll be next in line until you get that ring.  All I'm saying it is there has to be one guy that people bitch, piss, and moan about.  That's the nature of the beast, but when it happens and you start turning the pot, just know the finger will just as easily point at someone else.

Buff

you can hate Favre but no one can deny my intense man-crush for the guy

did i say that?  :o

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: DR on May 09, 2005, 01:16:02 pm
Apparently everyone doesn't buy into that load of horseshit. Good ol' Farve, you can always count on a timely interception, or two, or three, or four, from him.

"But not in Green Bay. Making it worse for Favre is the fact he's no longer in a position to talk about what does or doesn't win games.

Since 1998, Mike Holmgren's last year as Packers head coach, Favre has started seven playoff games and won just two, throwing 16 interceptions (against 11 touchdowns) in the process. In his past two divisional-round playoff contests, Favre gave away a game in St. Louis with six interceptions and handed another to the Eagles with a pick on the first series of overtime. Favre's latest playoff appearance, against the Vikings and their 29th-ranked defense last January in Green Bay, resulted in four interceptions and a 31-17 loss.

It seems the myth of Brett Favre has obscured the reality. Everyone believes he's infallible at Lambeau Field, even though he's actually lost eight games there the past two years. Everyone believes he's unstoppable in cold weather, even though two of his last three playoff exits came at home against dome teams. Everyone is sure that, with 225 consecutive starts, no one is tougher, even though Favre so routinely shies away from contact that he'll unload the ball anywhere, anytime."

Greatest QB in NFL history? Not even close.

Packer fans, start the bitching

Greatest by a longshot, number two as not even close,  He's better than any three Cowgirl QB's combined. 

xkyrie

I emailed the illustrious GBP franchise, asking Favre to take a look at the thread.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 23, 2005, 05:16:21 pmGreatest by a longshot, number two as not even close,  He's better than any three Cowgirl QB's combined.

RebelliousHog

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: maintube on May 24, 2005, 09:14:34 am
EWWWWWWWWW?

It's a juvenile attempt at comedy, best thing is to ignore it.  Some of these people are on the wrong board.

Big Papa Satan

Brett Farve isn't even the best QB in his franchise's history.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: DR on May 24, 2005, 11:51:12 am
Brett Farve isn't even the best QB in his franchise's history.

Youngster now you've went over the line, I don't argue with idiots. You don't know squat about anything to do with football as you demonstrate over and over again on here.  Favre is the best to ever play the game, he will retire will not just some but all the records.  You are a fool, both these things are facts.  No sense in arguing with a fool, since you will never get it anyway.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 24, 2005, 11:54:30 am

Youngster now you've went over the line, I don't argue with idiots. You don't know squat about anything to do with football as you demonstrate over and over again on here.  Favre is the best to ever play the game, he will retire will not just some but all the records.  You are a fool, both these things are facts.  No sense in arguing with a fool, since you will never get it anyway.

Those are only facts in your mind.  Farve isn't even in the top ten of the best QB's ever, and Bart Starr was the top Packer QB.

Either way, Green Bay is a podunk nothing franchise.  They only wish they could be as elite as America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys.

Brett Hitman Hog

Are you guys drunk?  Green Bay was the FIRST football legacy starting with Curly Lambeau in the freakin' 20's!

As for Favre not being the best GB QB your poorly misinformed.  Favre holds all of the QB records ...

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: The Hitman on May 24, 2005, 04:39:09 pm
Are you guys drunk? Green Bay was the FIRST football legacy starting with Curly Lambeau in the freakin' 20's!

As for Favre not being the best GB QB your poorly misinformed. Favre holds all of the QB records ...

Don't pay any attention to him, he's 21 and dumb.

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 24, 2005, 08:12:46 pm
Quote from: The Hitman on May 24, 2005, 04:39:09 pm
Are you guys drunk? Green Bay was the FIRST football legacy starting with Curly Lambeau in the freakin' 20's!

As for Favre not being the best GB QB your poorly misinformed. Favre holds all of the QB records ...

Hoggy .. I can't say much about the age thing ... I'm 24 and getting married in less than 2 weeks.  Some say I'm dumb too. ;D

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on May 24, 2005, 08:12:46 pm

If someone 21 and dumb made you look like a fricking idiot, what does that say for you?

Only record Farve holds is for baseless hype.

Big Papa Satan

Farve is far from the best QB ever...hell, he's not even in the top 20.

Better look at the stats again.

mossfan3

Not in the top 20.  My God don't forget to hop on the short bus tomorrow morning.  Montana is at the top but Favre is in the top 5, possibly 2nd.  He plays with guts not to mention a hose for an arm.  He is alot better than any limp wristed QB's from UCLA.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: mossfan3 on August 07, 2005, 10:46:14 pm
Not in the top 20.  My God don't forget to hop on the short bus tomorrow morning.  Montana is at the top but Favre is in the top 5, possibly 2nd.  He plays with guts not to mention a hose for an arm.  He is alot better than any limp wristed QB's from UCLA.

Said the guy who commented that some ASU scrub was better than any Arkansas d-lineman in the past five years.

I'm surprised you have any credibility at all.

garagephilosopher

Favre's to old.. needs to pack it up (no pun intended) 

garagephilosopher

Quote from: RedRazor on August 09, 2005, 07:19:24 am
Well by looking at last years stats...throwing for 4 thousand yards and 30 Tds....yeah your right..he needs to quit...especially when that beats 90% of the other QB's in the league...good call on that one

Sorry, Favre is a touchy subject obviously.  Looks like last year he put up the 5th best quarterback numbers behind Culpepper, Green, Manning, and Plummer.  You got me.  Give yourself a big pat on the back!

RebelliousHog

All the QBs you mention are good QBs and do a wonderful job. They are also surrounded by a mostly better supporting cast (Plummer being the exception, maybe). Favre does more with less than most QBs do with more. Yes, he throws lots of INTs. Drive me crazy, as it does his coaches. He is trying to make things happen. I dare say that if Favre were playing for the Vikings, Chiefs, Colts his numbers would be even better. Would Culpepper, Green, Manning, or  Plummer do as well in GB. I think not.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: RedRazor on August 08, 2005, 04:53:47 pm

Dude, don't hate the players, hate the game....Favre is the ONLY 3 TIME NFL MVP....and that includes all the history of your sucky Staubachs and Danny dildough Whites and Achemans....lol

To be a legend, you have to beat a legend...and Dallas has done that in a long, long, long time.

Brett Farve wouldn't be in the top three of Cowboy QB's. 

And winning the MVP thrice proves that hype is often believed.

Farve is overrated.  You're too blinded to see it.

RebelliousHog

I'm just guessing that the top 3 cowgirl QBs would be  Aikman, Staubach, and ??????  White maybe. I stand by my statement. Favre with some of the supporting cast the 'girls had would be better.

maniax22bolts20

Chargers @ Green Bay Thursday 7pm ESPN . Too bad ABC  is too nutless to put it on.

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: mikeb on August 11, 2005, 07:22:48 am
Quote from: RedRazor on August 10, 2005, 06:21:25 pm
Well I mean mikey, when you haven't done jack diddly crap here lately, I guess you have to go all the way back to the Ice Bowl for support ey? Oh wait, you can't go there either...LMAO
The bottom line is we are the #1 team of all time and thats all my friend. Sorry you can't handle the truth.

Ooohhh the modesty.

RebelliousHog

Jeez, talk about a man-crush on the cowgirls. I mean I like the Pack, but have mercy. To hear this guy the rest of the NFL might as well fold up camp, go home, and declare the cowgirls champs of the universe.

mikeb

Quote from: maintube on August 11, 2005, 10:21:54 am
Jeez, talk about a man-crush on the cowgirls. I mean I like the Pack, but have mercy. To hear this guy the rest of the NFL might as well fold up camp, go home, and declare the cowgirls champs of the universe.
LOL.........Thats what a true fan is

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: mikeb on August 11, 2005, 10:26:43 am
Quote from: maintube on August 11, 2005, 10:21:54 am
LOL.........Thats what a true fan is

He's got a point. 

mikeb

Quote from: RedRazor on August 11, 2005, 01:47:58 pm
Well if you read the facts than you would of found out that there is only one QB in the history of the NFL to win 3 MVP trophys...and 3 in a row at that. That is a fact.

Fact is...Favre is still throwing almost 4k yards every year and 30+ tds...which puts him at the top of any NFL season.....so he is doing well to be having to do that with what he has to work with. Thats a fact.

Fact is...he made the Pro Bowl again for what...the uptenth time...jealousy hurts does it not? Now, hmm, did Dallas have a QB in the Pro Bowl last year? Or for that matter, the last 5 years? LMAO dang this is to easy.

Fact of the matter is...is that Dallas is living off of what happened twenty years ago...instead of what has happened past present...get over it...deal with it.....and realize...if it wasn't for Green Bay and Chicago, there would be no NFL.

Game, Set and Match :puke:
no team still matches Dallas as far as overall record so just admit that simple little fact and it will be a
Game, Set, Match....................BOUYAHHHhhhhh

mikeb

August 12, 2005, 09:28:00 am #36 Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 09:46:18 am by mikeb
Quote from: mikeb on August 10, 2005, 10:29:12 am
ins in Franchise History
Super Yrs in
Bowl Super Yrs in
Franchise Wins Bowl Playoffs W L T
Dallas Cowboys 5 8 27 358 232 2
Oakland Raiders 3 5 21 358 227 8
Miami Dolphins 2 5 21 353 235 4
San Francisco 49ers 5 5 21 338 246 8
Minnesota Vikings 0 4 24 337 249 6
Pittsburgh Steelers 4 5 21 334 253 5
St. Louis Rams 1 3 21 333 252 7
Denver Broncos 2 6 16 327 258 7
Washington Redskins 3 5 14 325 260 7
Kansas City Chiefs 1 2 13 311 273 8
Green Bay Packers 3 4 14 303 279 10
Philadelphia Eagles 0 2 15 292 291 9
Indianapolis Colts 1 2 14 284 303 5
New England Patriots 3 5 12 284 305 3
Tennessee Titans 0 1 16 283 304 5
Chicago Bears 1 1 11 279 309 4
Buffalo Bills 0 4 14 275 313 4
New York Giants 2 3 10 274 314 4
New York Jets 1 1 11 270 317 5
San Diego Chargers 0 1 8 267 318 7
Cleveland Browns 0 0 14 262 278 4
Detroit Lions 0 0 9 253 329 10
Cincinnati Bengals 0 2 7 242 321 1
Arizona Cardinals 0 0 4 241 341 9
Atlanta Falcons 0 1 8 237 349 6
New Orleans Saints 0 0 5 234 339 5
Seattle Seahawks 0 0 7 214 238 0
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1 1 8 172 279 1
Jacksonville Jaguars 0 0 4 82 78 0
Baltimore Ravens 1 1 3 72 71 1
Carolina Panthers 0 1 2 71 89 0
Houston Texans 0 0 0 16 32 0
put that in your pipe and smoke it instead of the crack boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #1 Cowboys
here are the facts pal read and weap...................and please before you speak again make sure you know whats up. Look at the top of this post and the wins..........good day

Buff

basing your program on past success doesn't make you great, it makes you........... a cowboy

mikeb

Quote from: RedRazor on August 12, 2005, 03:52:08 pm
I will take a 3 and 1 record anyday and be happy knowing I didn't have to hire convicts and cheat the system to get those wins..... :D
tell me one team in the history of the NFL that hasn't had some kind of felon or punk on it's system.............that's how it go's I don't care what someone does off the Field(to a degree) as long as they produce on the Field..................I think you probably feel the same way.

mikeb

Quote from: RedRazor on August 15, 2005, 12:32:32 pm
Probably each team may have one....but when your team has enough to field one side of the offense or defense, thats when you in a whole new class by yourself
I agree but Irvin was the only one......there were others from that team but they got in trouble after they retired......and again no one killed anybody....................or molested kids

RebelliousHog

read and weap.

I couldn't find weap in my dictionary. Where is it.

mikeb

Quote from: maintube on August 15, 2005, 04:49:22 pm
read and weep.

I couldn't find weep in my dictionary. Where is it.
Whatever bro, why don't you go look at the stats on the #1 team Americas Team and I'll change my mistake, didn't know I was talking to the spelling B champ..............LOL.......mainLube............oops did I spell something wrong? Oh no thats right.

RebelliousHog

August 15, 2005, 07:50:14 pm #42 Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 08:32:36 pm by maintube
Actually it's Bee not B. This whole thread was started by you guys dissing Favre. Hey if you don't want to root for the guy, fine. Why dis him when his name isn't even being brought up?

As far as my dislike for the cowgirls. I never liked them much, but I wasn't that big a deal like it is now. My EXTREME dislike of the cowgirls started when they began to hype THEMSELVES as "America's Team". As I've stated before this was a promotion of the cowgirls front office. This WAS NOT a grass-roots effort by fans to root for them. This tore it for me.

While I expect a "fan" to root positively for his/her team cowgirl fans seem to do it to the extreme. As in to the absolute discrediting of EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL. It's like the rest of them have no business being on the field with the "COWBOYS".

I'm a Packer fan and have been since the mid-60s. I'm not in man-crush with them. I can see their weaknesses, and see where they need shoring up. Cowgirl fans are just............beyond the point of Know return. And, yes I spelt it that way for a reason. As in you usually don't KNOW what you speak of. 

If ya want to brag on the cowgirls, fine. Nobody invited ya'll to dis Favre for no reason.

RebelliousHog

mikeb

Quote from: maintube on August 15, 2005, 07:50:14 pm
Actually it's Bee not B. This whole thread was started by you guys dissing Favre. Hey if you don't want to root for the guy, fine. Why dis him when his name isn't even being brought up?

As far as my dislike for the cowgirls. I never liked them much, but I wasn't that big a deal like it is now. My EXTREME dislike of the cowgirls started when they began to hype THEMSELVES as "America's Team". As I've stated before this was a promotion of the cowgirls front office. This WAS NOT a grass-roots effort by fans to root for them. This tore it for me.

While I expect a "fan" to root positively for his/her team cowgirl fans seem to do it to the extreme. As in to the absolute discrediting of EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL. It's like the rest of them have no business being on the field with the "COWBOYS".

I'm a Packer fan and have been since the mid-60s. I'm not in man-crush with them. I can see their weaknesses, and see where they need shoring up. Cowgirl fans are just............beyond the point of Know return. And, yes I spelt it that way for a reason. As in you usually don't KNOW what you speak of.

If ya want to brag on the cowgirls, fine. Nobody invited ya'll to dis Favre for no reason.
Like I said I wasn't in here slammin on Brett I came in to back my team just like you would yours.........you can call them the cowgirls all you want they still have a better record then any team including your green bay packers...............now you should be well done.

mikeb

Quote from: RedRazor on August 16, 2005, 12:30:43 pm
Well done alright....done alright in the playoffs the last couple of years and you haven't...LOL
there you go again forgeting who the #1 team of all time is......................I just love schooling you on a daily basis can we do this every day....................................PLEASE........LMAO

RebelliousHog

Instant gratification. What have you done for me lately?  'Girls- nada.

mikeb

Quote from: maintube on August 17, 2005, 03:26:31 pm
Instant gratification. What have you done for me lately? 'Girls- Nada.
whats the Nada (National Automobile Dealer Association) got to due with football............LMAO.................If you want some schooling I'll give you some to.

mikeb

Quote from: RedRazor on August 17, 2005, 07:31:55 pm
Schooling?? ROTFLMAO :puke: Dude, you must of sniffed paint chips when you were little
Yeah so.........I ate paste too.......and looked up little girls skirts whats that got to do with my cowboy's being the #1 team of all time? LOL

RebelliousHog

As I said earlier, cowgirl fans tend to the extreme. Almost fanatic in their man-crush for the cowgirls.

BTW, the Nada come back was.....uh......cute?