Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Aune

Started by ThisGuy, January 22, 2018, 01:41:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisGuy

Hopeful Hog

Amityvillehogger

Shaping up to be a lot of competition at the QB spot.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

TexHog188

Nice size, good speed, doesn't eat up a scholarship.  Nothing but upside on this one.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 22, 2018, 01:55:43 pm
Shaping up to be a lot of competition at the QB spot.

I think they're anticipating and being prepared for someone to leave. Probably Ty.

Hopeful Hog

Since the Yankees are paying for his degree can he just stay a walk on for his entire career even if he's the starter? Has that ever happened?

hogcam

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on January 22, 2018, 01:59:10 pm
Since the Yankees are paying for his degree can he just stay a walk on for his entire career even if he's the starter? Has that ever happened?
Yes he can. I don't know if it has ever happened though, but I assume it has.

je100

I like that the will likely be 22 or 23 years old when he gets to Fayetteville.

Paul

Quote from: TexHog188 on January 22, 2018, 01:56:14 pm
Nice size, good speed, doesn't eat up a scholarship.  Nothing but upside on this one.
win, win, win

AugustaHog

Yes, but it's not quite that simple.  The school would not have to pay his way if he is suiting up to play, but he would go against the 85 limit.  If not, I would think somebody like Saban would be patrolling minor league baseball fields like crazy.  It's kind of like if one of our kids gets a track scholly and wants to "walk on" to the football team that's completely fine.  The minute they go on the 85 they count on the football scholly limit.

redleg

I hope he's better than the last player Arkansas signed from Argyle, TX.  :-\
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Boarmonger

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 22, 2018, 02:27:40 pm
Yes, but it's not quite that simple.  The school would not have to pay his way if he is suiting up to play, but he would go against the 85 limit.  If not, I would think somebody like Saban would be patrolling minor league baseball fields like crazy.  It's kind of like if one of our kids gets a track scholly and wants to "walk on" to the football team that's completely fine.  The minute they go on the 85 they count on the football scholly limit.

I think the thing is that they have to be on a FB scholarship in your T&F example.  A walk on is a walk on and doesn't count towards the 85 but they would count to the numbers you suit up and travel with.  An athlete can't be on scholarship n any other sport and play FB.  They have to be on FB scholarship.

Paul

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 22, 2018, 02:27:40 pm
thanks for clearing that up

PintailKiller

Quote from: hogcam on January 22, 2018, 02:15:59 pm
Yes he can. I don't know if it has ever happened though, but I assume it has.

If I remember correctly, Quincy Carter left baseball to go to UGA.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

je100

Lot of similarities at this stage with former Okie-State QB, Brandon Weeden. 

flippinhogmana

2012 graduate.  3 star 46th rank quarterback.  I remember him being one of our prospects back then but I dont remember if we offered him.  Its been a while but we had a couple of those former baseball players walk on for us the same year. I dont think they ended up contributing much, not saying he would be the same though.

https://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

je100

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 22, 2018, 03:05:42 pm
2012 graduate.  3 star 46th rank quarterback.  I remember him being one of our prospects back then but I dont remember if we offered him.  Its been a while but we had a couple of those former baseball players walk on for us the same year. I dont think they ended up contributing much, not saying he would be the same though.

https://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Good info.  By the way, he was drafted in the second round by the Pinstripers as an outfielder.  So, he has quite a bit of athleticism in addition to the 93-hour fastball. 

Not a lot to lose here.

King Kong

Brandon Weeden Chris Weinke and Quincy Carter

LumberBacks

$1M signing bonus with the Yanks in 2012.  Career in the minors.  Weeden II perhaps.  Weeden made more in the NFL than MLB - yep, and he's still on an active roster (Titans).  Dude is 34 and set for life.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/austin-aune-top-qb-recruit-passes-tcu-glory-153329066.html

SkeeterHawg

Pretty sure Vince Bradford did that here.

hawg1221

What's the name of the Razorback qb (I think in the mid 2000's) that did the same thing and came to college after playing baseball? I don't think it was Vince.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 22, 2018, 08:16:16 pm
What's the name of the Razorback qb (I think in the mid 2000's) that did the same thing and came to college after playing baseball? I don't think it was Vince.

Cole Barthel. I believe he ended up a Ark Tech
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 22, 2018, 08:38:00 pm

I think Robbie Hampton was an MLB guy too.

stahawg

Quote from: je100 on January 22, 2018, 02:22:43 pm
I like that the will likely be 22 or 23 years old when he gets to Fayetteville.

He will be 25 when the season starts. And he is already enrolled and taking classes.

Flrazrback

With the addition of Aune to our roster we are stacked deep at QB.. Coach Cradock is going to be busy and have one heck of a battle for starting job.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

greenie

Looking forward to how he looks in the spring.

Does anybody know how to pronounce that last name? 
A-une?
Awn?
Aw-nay?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 22, 2018, 08:38:00 pm

correct on the name of one of them.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Rocket23

Robbie Hampton and Vincent Bradford, from Malvern, are our two most prominent former pro baseball players to actively play.  Hampton was in the Toronto Blue Jays organization, while Bradford was with the Detroit Tigers minor league system.

Rocket23

Barthel spent four season with the Braves organization

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 22, 2018, 10:49:22 pm
With the addition of Aune to our roster we are stacked deep at QB.. Coach Cradock is going to be busy and have one heck of a battle for starting job.

Cole Kelly is gonna be on the line now...lol