A side note...Arkansas State is winning by 6 at halftime against #11

Started by checkraiser88, December 19, 2017, 07:57:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

AlmaHog2011

RaisinHog

Ok quit being d bags .. I think it's cool and especially funny

davril98

No kidding.  Nothing wrong with wanting other Arkansas teams to do well too.

popcornhog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 19, 2017, 08:08:37 pm
And there must not be an A State board for you???

Dude, it's relevant because of WSU/OU.

We don't want WSU to lose this game — we want Oklahoma to be ranked as highly as possible.
WPS

davril98

Quote from: popcornhog on December 19, 2017, 08:11:57 pm
Dude, it's relevant because of WSU/OU.

We don't want WSU to lose this game — we want Oklahoma to be ranked as highly as possible.
Hmmm, good point

Albert Einswine

Quote from: davril98 on December 19, 2017, 08:11:52 pm
No kidding.  Nothing wrong with wanting other Arkansas teams to do well too.

Well.... except screw other Arkansas programs with fan bases that spew acidic vitriol toward the Razorbacks.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ShadowHawg

Wichita St is constantly over rated. Don't believe it would happen but would love it if they could have.

rzrbackramsfan

Lots of close to potential upsets tonight.  A&M won a close one, Bama's down to Mercer at half, Arizona State is down by 5 to long wood at half, SFA hanging with Missouri, I think I'm missing a few.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

TebowHater

Quote from: hoghearted on December 19, 2017, 09:06:44 pm
Sadly, they couldn't sustain the lead. Ultimately lost.

This is good for us. We don't want OU losing their signature win.

RaisinHog

Quote from: TebowHater on December 19, 2017, 09:36:16 pm

If there getting beat by OU and almost state .. it's bound too go down soon .. might as well of been them .. fact is they are over rated as usual

popcornhog

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 19, 2017, 10:09:46 pm
If there getting beat by OU and almost state .. it's bound too go down soon .. might as well of been them .. fact is they are over rated as usual

WPS

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TebowHater on December 19, 2017, 09:36:16 pm

Wouldn't have cost OU anything had they lost.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: RaisinHog on December 19, 2017, 10:09:46 pm

Do you even watch basketball? You realize that WSU has been to at least 1 Final Four and 1 Elite Eight in the past 5 years? And that's without looking it up, theres probably more accolades.

Hardly sounds overrated. Sounds like a consistent program. Their coach is legit

ShadowHawg

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 19, 2017, 10:22:37 pm
Do you even watch basketball? You realize that WSU has been to at least 1 Final Four and 1 Elite Eight in the past 5 years? And that's without looking it up, theres probably more accolades.

Hardly sounds overrated. Sounds like a consistent program. Their coach is legit

Their best team lost on the first weekend. That's consistent? VCU and George Mason have made Final Fours ONCE.

They have consistently destroyed the MVC and been average in the tournament. They absolutely didn't deserve a top 5 ranking and are consistently proving it by struggling with bad teams and losing to good but not great teams.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 19, 2017, 10:30:50 pm
Their best team lost on the first weekend. That's consistent? VCU and George Mason have made Final Fours ONCE.

They have consistently destroyed the MVC and been average in the tournament. They absolutely didn't deserve a top 5 ranking and are consistently proving it by struggling with bad teams and losing to good but not great teams.

That team lost to a very underrated Kentucky by 2 points. Its basketball. Sh*t happens.

They've been a hell of a lot more consistent than Arkansas has in the last 15 years

ShadowHawg

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 19, 2017, 10:32:55 pm
That team lost to a very underrated Kentucky by 2 points. Its basketball. Sh*t happens.

They've been a hell of a lot more consistent than Arkansas has in the last 15 years

That was not an underrated team. That was a team that we swept and lost to a horrible S Carolina team, blown out actually. They did get hot in that tourney and made the championship game, but they weren't underrated much less very underrated. That team reminded me of the NCarolina bunch that went to the Final Four but didn't have 20 wins coming into the tournament.

It wasn't until Marshall's 5 season at St before they would make it back to the NCAA after going the year before Marshall was hired.

5 years was your original point of reference. They did make a Final Four but have not made another Elite Eight under Marshall who was hired in 2007.

incHOGnito

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 19, 2017, 10:30:50 pm

WSU is a team that is extremely well-coached and slightly more talented than a tylcucal mid-major. They struggle with other mid-majors that are also well-coached if they are not firing on all or most cylinders because the talent discrepancy is not great enough to simply overwhelm those teams.

Inversely, they play well against Power 5 opponents, because those teams, especially early in the season rely more on talent than sound coaching and fundamentals. And because the talent gap is not that wide, they are not overwhelmed by sheer ability.

It is a match-up issue, and they tend to match up worse against mid-major teams. Also, for many mid-majors a game against WSU is their chance to prove something. This leads to them getting everyone's best shot.

I won't comment on their ranking because i have only seen them play a little this season, but on the whole I would consider them extemely successful as of late.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 19, 2017, 10:55:14 pm
That was not an underrated team. That was a team that we swept and lost to a horrible S Carolina team, blown out actually. They did get hot in that tourney and made the championship game, but they weren't underrated much less very underrated. That team reminded me of the NCarolina bunch that went to the Final Four but didn't have 20 wins coming into the tournament.

It wasn't until Marshall's 5 season at St before they would make it back to the NCAA after going the year before Marshall was hired.

5 years was your original point of reference. They did make a Final Four but have not made another Elite Eight under Marshall who was hired in 2007.

UK had some bad losses, but they weren't a bad team. They proved that in the tournament going to the Finals

Wichita St has been in the tournament almost yearly since 2010 (I think they missed one year in there). Since that time they have also been to the Final Four once and a Sweet Sixteen once. Hardly overrated for a mid-major if your being objective at all. Like I said, its better than half of the SEC teams have done in the same time frame, including Arkansas

ShadowHawg

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 19, 2017, 11:44:46 pm
UK had some bad losses, but they weren't a bad team. They proved that in the tournament going to the Finals

Wichita St has been in the tournament almost yearly since 2010 (I think they missed one year in there). Since that time they have also been to the Final Four once and a Sweet Sixteen once. Hardly overrated for a mid-major if your being objective at all. Like I said, its better than half of the SEC teams have done in the same time frame, including Arkansas

No. They played in such a terrible conference that they were being given seeds they didn't deserve. Seeding has a lot do with tournament performance. Last year Marshall whined about their seed because they were going to have to play Kentucky in the round of 32. They were seeded right though given the awful schedule they played.

The other thing about playing such a sorry schedule is that they are fresh come tournament time because they will play few close games.

I think you are confusing overrated with sux. Not saying they suck, but aside from their Final Four run, they have under performed their seeding more often than not.

They certainly shouldn't have been considered an immediate front runner for the national championship coming into this season.

Cinco de Hogo

WSU may be the Boise State of basketball to not give them credit is foolish but still it's doubtful they could run the gauntlet of a P5 conference and have similar results so in the end seeding them as if they had run that gauntlet is also foolish.   But isn't that what the committee does year in year out?  Maybe just maybe while being unfair to better teams it also gives color to the tournament.  Kinda like the difference in going to a party or going to a masquerade ball.

GolfNut57

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 19, 2017, 08:08:37 pm
And there must not be an A State board for you???

Guess you missed the board title?

Other Arkansas Colleges and Universities

It isn't inappropriate for that to be posted here. At least he isn't posting it on the hog jumpball or MMQB forums.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 20, 2017, 12:06:07 pm
Guess you missed the board title?

Other Arkansas Colleges and Universities

It isn't appropriate for that to be posted here. At least he isn't posting it on the hog jumpball or MMQB forums.

This thread was started in Jump Ball and got moved here.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

GolfNut57

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 20, 2017, 12:33:51 pm

This thread was started in Jump Ball and got moved here.

Well excuse me. My mistake. I didn't see the thread until it was posted here.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.