Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Steven Jones

Started by Caribhog, December 15, 2017, 11:56:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hawganatic on December 28, 2017, 09:54:43 am
So many seem to be writing this kid off due to his height and lack of offers.  If he has the heart and passion for the game that a lot of people have said, he will do fine on the D1 level.

Think a lot have forgotten that Mayfield had to walk on at Texas Tech, and then just showed up at OK with no offer or guarantee he'd be on the team.  Seems like it worked out pretty good for him...
Key word Mayfield walked on, i have a problem with him getting a scholarship when we are limited in spots and we are competing almost with nobody for him, preferred walkon I am all in, but not a blueshirt or straight up scholarship, no way!
Especially when he appears to be another body where we are full up whether it be QB or WR. Imo you don't take anybody but bonafide 4* players at those positions at this point.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 28, 2017, 04:22:32 pm
Key word Mayfield walked on, i have a problem with him getting a scholarship when we are limited in spots and we are competing almost with nobody for him, preferred walkon I am all in, but not a blueshirt or straight up scholarship, no way!
Especially when he appears to be another body where we are full up whether it be QB or WR. Imo you don't take anybody but bonafide 4* players at those positions at this point.

Only 4*?? Well, we aren't going to offer an other QB's for 2018, so you're good there. They have offered several WR's, I'm not sure if all are 4*, some are.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 28, 2017, 04:22:32 pm

I'll say it again. Do you want the future owner of the Dallas Cowboys to be an Arkansas alum or Texas Tech alum? He has offers from Texas Tech and SMU, and he's a proven winner. It's not a throw-away offer, even if he's never more than Grant Gunnell's backup or a slot receiver. If he had no better options I'd say let him walk-on, but I don't think you let him get away if you can get him to the Hill.

opineonswine

John Steven Jones is a no-brainer offer by Arkansas.  Anyone who can't see it...well...I'll stop there.

Kevin

seems to have a lot of swag. something that has been missing from the qb position since mallett.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on December 28, 2017, 04:27:38 pm
Only 4*?? Well, we aren't going to offer an other QB's for 2018, so you're good there. They have offered several WR's, I'm not sure if all are 4*, some are.
a few are 5 *, most are 4 *
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

870hogfan

Quote from: Kevin on December 28, 2017, 07:44:51 pm
seems to have a lot of swag. something that has been missing from the qb position since mallett.

Cole Kelley has some swag.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: opineonswine on December 28, 2017, 04:55:19 pm
John Steven Jones is a no-brainer offer by Arkansas.  Anyone who can't see it...well...I'll stop there.
Yeah long game i get that, legacy player, with more money than God in his family should not require a scholarship when you can only have 85.

IronHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 28, 2017, 08:39:00 pm
Yeah long game i get that, legacy player, with more money than God in his family should not require a scholarship when you can only have 85.

Doesn't work that way.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Philip Seaton

Well even if unworthy of a scholarship offer -- which he is not, you offer the son of the biggest --
and probably the most famous -- booster you have. Why would you want to risk alienating his family or even letting him go to another school? It's Common Sense 101.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Philip Seaton on December 28, 2017, 08:57:55 pm
Well even if unworthy of a scholarship offer -- which he is not, you offer the son of the biggest --
and probably the most famous -- booster you have. Why would you want to risk alienating his family or even letting him go to another school? It's Common Sense 101.
Sorry you will have to somehow make the case that he is deserving of an SEC scholarship and i think you can not! If you think you can it is a lie or justification without merit.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

imtad16

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 28, 2017, 09:12:22 pm
Sorry you will have to somehow make the case that he is deserving of an SEC scholarship and i think you can not! If you think you can it is a lie or justification without merit.

His stats look SEC worthy. Forget who he is. He put up huge stats this season against the best high school competition and has won 2 state titles in a row in Texas. He put up almost 5000 passing yards with 61 TD's and 4 INT's. His height is what has kept offers at bay. His 3 offers are from HC's that are good QB coaches and know QB's well. Everyone in the SEC signs 3 star players that are rated 80 to 85 on the 247 rating system. Auburn signed an 83 that doesn't have great offers. LSU has a commit that is a safety that is 5-8 175 and has an offer from TCU and UTSA... that's it. South Carolina has signed a WR that is an 83 composite (79 2 star by just 247) with offers from UNC Charlotte, Maryland, Old Dominion, Duke, Vandy, and Wake Forest. Even Alabama has a 3 star 85 whose offers outside of Bama aren't all that impressive. I think every school in the SEC signs a handful of 3 stars they see something in. Based on their offer lists most of these players don't look like shoe in SEC worthy offers.

I will grant you with less signees this class it is a riskier proposition to sign him, but the blue shirt is the way around that.

hogfan58

Why is everyone just assuming that he will come here.....just because we offered and he's Jerry's grandson? If you were him and you could come here and be a back-up (maybe) or go to Texas Tech and start, where would YOU go?
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan58 on December 29, 2017, 06:25:47 am
Why is everyone just assuming that he will come here.....just because we offered and he's Jerry's grandson? If you were him and you could come here and be a back-up (maybe) or go to Texas Tech and start, where would YOU go?

The really good players don't mind a challenge they relish it. They know there is no guarantee of starting anywhere. Besides I guess you've never been to Lubbock have you.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hugo Bezdek

Because that's how the world works.

Inhogswetrust

Then him deserving or not that means you don't understand that common sense part.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ifghog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 07:53:12 am
Then him deserving or not that means you don't understand that common sense part.
Common sense is highly lacking on this board anyway.  It's pretty amazing really.

MissippHog

Quote from: opineonswine on December 28, 2017, 04:55:19 pm
It's amazing that this thread is even 4 pages long arguing this. 

Hogfan46

Quote from: hogfan58 on December 29, 2017, 06:25:47 am

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of this quote directly from him:

'He told SEC Country last spring he would ideally head to Fayetteville after high school.

"Yeah, that's my school, for sure," he said. "I'd like to end up there. If I ever get a chance to play at Arkansas, that's for sure where I'd be going."'

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 29, 2017, 08:30:00 am
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because of this quote directly from him:

'He told SEC Country last spring he would ideally head to Fayetteville after high school.

"Yeah, that's my school, for sure," he said. "I'd like to end up there. If I ever get a chance to play at Arkansas, that's for sure where I'd be going."'

Situation is fluid?

Hogville...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawganatic

That's easy... 

Because the head coach wants him here and offered.  That's really all the case that needs to be made.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jbcarol on December 26, 2017, 06:10:37 am
John Stephen Jones‏ @JohnSJones15

This isn't me @JohnSJones_15

Underscores that people are trying to assume the identity of high school football players on twitter
shows why kids want to get to 4k followers and get verified by Twitter, too, but Hogville calls them drama queens for it  ::)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 28, 2017, 04:47:09 pm
I'll say it again. Do you want the future owner of the Dallas Cowboys to be an Arkansas alum or Texas Tech alum? He has offers from Texas Tech and SMU, and he's a proven winner. It's not a throw-away offer, even if he's never more than Grant Gunnell's backup or a slot receiver. If he had no better options I'd say let him walk-on, but I don't think you let him get away if you can get him to the Hill.
absolutely 100%, dear God these fools are dumb as darn

Pig in the Pokey

but you're ok with a kicker or a punter who will never see the field having one. do shut up.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ifghog on December 29, 2017, 08:08:49 am
Common sense is highly lacking on this board anyway.  It's pretty amazing really.
it's actually why I still come here mostly. this is like a social experiment. VERY few places on the web are guaranteed to make you dumber for reading like this. It's glorious.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 29, 2017, 07:29:03 am
Because that's how the world works.
Best reply ever, this is 100 the answer, everything else is BS!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 29, 2017, 10:17:06 am
but you're ok with a kicker or a punter who will never see the field having one. do shut up.
Look i tend to lay off your tons of stupid, you might want to recognize and find other targets! Just saying

hogfan58

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 29, 2017, 06:53:19 am
The really good players don't mind a challenge they relish it. They know there is no guarantee of starting anywhere. Besides I guess you've never been to Lubbock have you.........................

I've been to Lubbock many, many times....
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

orgkeith

Kids have played for us who you thought were taking up a scholarship who in reality where not.  Rich kids that is.  Hint, hint:  wake up. :)

texas tush hog

Quote from: orgkeith on December 30, 2017, 07:19:11 am
Kids have played for us who you thought were taking up a scholarship who in reality where not.  Rich kids that is.  Hint, hint:  wake up. :)

The Lyndsey brothers come to mind and Jack ain't half bad.

pigroots

JSJ has the "it" factor. Sometimes that makes the jump and sometimes it doesn't with a QB. But you can tell he's one that will sit in the film room and be an asset to the other QB's at the least. He's a gamer and played his best when the lights were the brightest. This is a no lose situation if you offer a scholarship. Besides we have a few it looks like this year

lumphog

I bet JSJ can out run the Fayetteville Police...... sign him up   

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I just don't see it coming down to having to offer him. If I were his dad or granddad I would foot the bill without flinching in an attempt to help my Alma Mater even more...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

FATHAWG08

I can see him developing into the QB that UCF has that is giving Auburn fits. The kid is a baller. We need ballers.
I love off season Football!!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on January 01, 2018, 02:04:42 pm
I can see him developing into the QB that UCF has that is giving Auburn fits. The kid is a baller. We need ballers.

They have nearly identical physical stature and measurables coming out of high school. I was thinking the exact thing you posted.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hawgfan4life

Anybody arguing he should not get a scholarship should get their coaching certification and go coach since they know so much.  Spud Webb, Doug Flutie, JJ Meadows, and that LB that got flagged against FL a few years back says hello.

Pork Ranger

People worried about this kids size just take a look at the UCF quarterback.. 5'11" 175

imtad16

Nice video of HP VS Manvel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsDyvc9Jygo

After watching UCF's McKenzie Milton in the Peach Bowl, I really hope JSJ commits to us soon.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Pork Ranger on January 01, 2018, 06:12:56 pm
People worried about this kids size just take a look at the UCF quarterback.. 5'11" 175

That and anyone who thinks Mayfield is 6'0 is kidding themselves. Sony Michel is listed at 5-10 and when they were out for the coin toss last night they looked the same height to me. There are any number of 5'11 QBs that don't have any business on an FBS roster. That doesn't mean none of them belong. I don't have any problem with JSJ getting a scholarship.

Highway Hog Sign

Anyone else worried that JSJ going to Texas Tech? Seems like we're behind with this kid.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

ricepig

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on January 19, 2018, 03:39:50 pm
Anyone else worried that JSJ going to Texas Tech? Seems like we're behind with this kid.

Nope, he can't take any visit here and be a blueshirt, and we can't visit him, if my memory serves me correctly on those rules.

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 03:46:05 pm
Nope, he can't take any visit here and be a blueshirt, and we can't visit him, if my memory serves me correctly on those rules.
Ok. And we think that's the route he'll want to go? Just seems like he's showing interest in TT all of a sudden. The analyst for TT's 247 site predicted he'll end up there (FWIW).
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

ricepig

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on January 19, 2018, 04:19:12 pm
Ok. And we think that's the route he'll want to go? Just seems like he's showing interest in TT all of a sudden. The analyst for TT's 247 site predicted he'll end up there (FWIW).

He's said, given the opportunity, he'd like to play at the UofA like his Dad and grandfather. I guess we'll see what happens.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I'll say it again. If he were my grandson He'd turn down any scholarship anywhere and walk-on. I'd be pissed if he let them get enough pressure to feel they needed to offer him. His dad is a multi millionaire. His G-daddy is a Billionaire... If he wants to make his own way and not go to Arkansas I would make certain he told them that with a quickness too.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2018, 03:46:05 pm

Why is this again?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

ricepig

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 19, 2018, 04:40:41 pm
Why is this again?

In order to blueshirt, which is enroll as a walk on and count against the next recruiting class, the player can't take an official visit, and the school can't recruit his school. Last year we had two in Clary and Henry.

SkeeterHawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 19, 2018, 04:40:41 pm
Why is this again?
To blueshift you have to be unrecruited, no coaches visits, no official visits. Coach can tell you we have a spot for you as a blueshirt.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hogindasticks

How many recruits you think he will bring in if Grandpa is watching every game next year?