Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knee jerk reaction to the search firm.

Started by mj4president, November 28, 2017, 11:12:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

Hate it but does shed light on the status.

1.Big $ is mad a JCP, new AD should be announced soon.
2. Being used so fans can't FOIA contacts etc? (my hope)

Reaction

I hate it and they always do a terrible job.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

TebowHater

Quote from: mj4president on November 28, 2017, 11:12:40 am
Hate it but does shed light on the status.

1.Big $ is mad a JCP, new AD should be announced soon.
2. Being used so fans can't FOIA contacts etc? (my hope)

Reaction

I hate it and they always do a terrible job.

Search firms were used for the hiring of both Matt Campbell and Scott Frost last year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coach-search-firms-are-they-worth-the-money/

Tim Harris

I also wouldn't be surprised if all the backlash that happened at TN doesn't play in to it as well.  Coaching searches will be run differently in the future.

TebowHater

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 28, 2017, 11:17:52 am
I also wouldn't be surprised if all the backlash that happened at TN doesn't play in to it as well.  Coaching searches will be run differently in the future.

Agree. I wonder when the firm was hired. Has it been here all along and just a secret?

HF#1

Firms take your money and leave you with crap.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

East TN HAWG

mj4president

So they get to pick totally? My god what a crappy deal.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

TebowHater

Quote from: mj4president on November 28, 2017, 11:26:56 am
So they get to pick totally? My god what a crappy deal.

I don't know that they even pick at all. Almost just consultant / sounding board for AD + logistics (per CBS article)

razoredge178

Search firms are only as good as the expectation framework set by the university.

The Boar War

If I were an AD I wouldn't hesitate to hire a search firm for more information on candidates and recommendations.  First off there's nothing wrong with more information.  Secondly, if the decision turns out to be bad, it allows the AD to say that they weren't the only ones in favor of this hire.  Along those same lines it shows that the coach hired wasn't some off the wall hire by an interim AD.

TebowHater

Quote from: The Boar War on November 28, 2017, 11:30:28 am
If I were an AD I wouldn't hesitate to hire a search firm for more information on candidates and recommendations.  First off there's nothing wrong with more information.  Secondly, if the decision turns out to be bad, it allows the AD to say that they weren't the only ones in favor of this hire.  Along those same lines it shows that the coach hired wasn't some off the wall hire by an interim AD.

I agree it is good. The question is why did things change? JCP was emphatic SHE was the one and had it under control Friday night

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The Boar War on November 28, 2017, 11:30:28 am

I actually agree.  If there are questions about Norvill's or Kiffin's character, then hire someone to investigate.  I'm sure this will delay the decision.  By hiring the firm, there is no emotional attachment to a particular candidate.  However, as we saw with Pelphrey, they may recommend a candidate from left field like Les Miles. 

younghog

Quote from: TebowHater on November 28, 2017, 11:15:37 am
Search firms were used for the hiring of both Matt Campbell and Scott Frost last year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coach-search-firms-are-they-worth-the-money/

actually all the coaches on that list are doing well with their respective schools..
GO HOGS

jgphillips3

This might be the "hand off".  When the unofficial search group turns things over to the University to finish negotiation, those University led matters will be subject to FOIA.  However, if you bring in the search group, you can keep the info hidden just a bit longer.

The Boar War

Quote from: TebowHater on November 28, 2017, 11:32:12 am
I agree it is good. The question is why did things change? JCP was emphatic SHE was the one and had it under control Friday night

Maybe it's for the coach.  Let's say he doesn't want to come in as the recommendation of an interim AD.  This gives both him and JCP some backing.  Or perhaps something's changed.  Maybe it's the AD.  Maybe it's the coaches.  My hope is that it's an attempt at due diligence.

hawgon

It probably is to rein in JCP.  She has literally been getting on planes to go talk to people without telling anyone where she is going.

Hog Milanese

HogFansReunited

My opinion is that we have several factions pushing for different things. I was told by someone that Gus isn't an option and never has been. He also said that Norvell is a done deal. He also said that Norvell was upset about how things were being handled.  I think this has caused more confusion than anything else because different power players want different things and the AD doesn't have much or any control.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Iwastherein1969

This is the first time I've seen this. We hired a search firm. This proves that we are a "fly by the seat of our pants, small time university".....Don't expect any type of improvement as we waste away time and recruits while GD search firm does what we are suppose to do ourselves. If the GOBN demanded that Bielema be fired they should have been willing to pay to get a new coach on the Hill first thing. Other schools which have top shelf management, like UF, already have their coach. All this proves to me (the use of a search firm) is that the GOBN or whomever up there was responsible for getting rid of Bielema 30 seconds after the Mizzou game concluded, had ZERO plans in place or were hoping Alabama would beat Auburn soundly and Malzahn would come. Another 10 years of being irrelevant in football. BOOK IT

ad: If I had known we were going to have pay someone to find our new football coach, I certainly would have been for keeping Bielema. Watch, he'll get another shot at some place, turn their program around and we're going to have some 'wet behind the ears' football coach with 3 years of going 2-6 in the SEC. This is horse excrement. Re-hire Bielema, two words I thought I'd never say.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The OTR

rljjr

At the end of the day the responsibility still falls to powers inside the BAC. The buck starts and stops there. Search firms do the background checks and due diligence. It's not the end of the world (until they screw it up and i'll scream right there with you).

GuvHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 28, 2017, 12:02:00 pm
This is the first time I've seen this. We hired a search firm. This proves that we are a "fly by the seat of our pants, small time university".....Don't expect any type of improvement as we waste away time and recruits while GD search firm does what we are suppose to do ourselves. If the GOBN demanded that Bielema be fired they should have been willing to pay to get a new coach on the Hill first thing. Other schools which have top shelf management, like UF, already have their coach. All this proves to me (the use of a search firm) is that the GOBN or whomever up there was responsible for getting rid of Bielema 30 seconds after the Mizzou game concluded, had ZERO plans in place or were hoping Alabama would beat Auburn soundly and Malzahn would come. Another 10 years of being irrelevant in football. BOOK IT

ad: If I had known we were going to have pay someone to find our new football coach, I certainly would have been for keeping Bielema. Watch, he'll get another shot at some place, turn their program around and we're going to have some 'wet behind the ears' football coach with 3 years of going 2-6 in the SEC. This is horse excrement. Re-hire Bielema, two words I thought I'd never say.

Search firms don't help fine coaches, they do thorough background checks on candidates a school is considering and give the results to the school so they can make a decision about who they will hire.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: GuvHog on November 28, 2017, 12:15:21 pm
Search firms don't help fine coaches, they do thorough background checks on candidates a school is considering and give the results to the school so they can make a decision about who they will hire.
that's not my point...the problem I have with a search firm is two fold, 1) it proves we are not going to get who we first set out to get as our coach, and 2) it shows that we are not organized as we should have been knowing all the while that Bielema was going to be fired.  We will get excrement as a coach. And one other thing, when recruits see we cannot even hire our own coach it proves we are small time. I suppose Wet Booger McFarland was right about Arkansas, we should know our role in the grand scheme of things in the world of SEC football.

ipigsooie

We hired DHR international for the search

hawgon

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 28, 2017, 12:25:11 pm
that's not my point...the problem I have with a search firm is two fold, 1) it proves we are not going to get who we first set out to get as our coach, and 2) it shows that we are not organized as we should have been knowing all the while that Bielema was going to be fired.  We will get excrement as a coach. And one other thing, when recruits see we cannot even hire our own coach it proves we are small time. I suppose Wet Booger McFarland was right about Arkansas, we should know our roll in the grand scheme of things in the world of SEC football.

Long was literally our roadblock.  As long as he sat there doing nothing, we were hamstring on how much we could put in place. 

Worst AD ever.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 28, 2017, 12:26:05 pm
We hired DHR international for the search
the idea of which firm we hired matters not....the way we are going about this is like the poor guy who works in a shoe store and gets his second DUI and doesn't have the money nor the wits about him to hire the best lawyer...and you know how a situation like that finishes, the person with the clout and the good lawyer gets off with probation and the goober with no money and even less sense spends 6 months in jail....take a guess who'll be spending some time in SEC jail

isavedjazz

The firm is for VETTING candidates. Calm down.
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

GuvHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 28, 2017, 12:25:11 pm
that's not my point...the problem I have with a search firm is two fold, 1) it proves we are not going to get who we first set out to get as our coach, and 2) it shows that we are not organized as we should have been knowing all the while that Bielema was going to be fired.  We will get excrement as a coach. And one other thing, when recruits see we cannot even hire our own coach it proves we are small time. I suppose Wet Booger McFarland was right about Arkansas, we should know our role in the grand scheme of things in the world of SEC football.

I respectfully disagree. To me, it shows that the U of A knows who they want to hire and are having the search firm do a thorough background check on the man they have chosen before they offer him the job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

isavedjazz

Quote from: GuvHog on November 28, 2017, 12:35:09 pm
I respectfully disagree. To me, it shows that the U of A knows who they want to hire and are having the search firm do a thorough background check on the man they have chosen before they offer him the job.

Youre spot on. The firm is for vetting the candidates that have been chosen. That's it.
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

JONAS

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2017, 11:19:58 am
Firms take your money and leave you with crap.

Yep.  They are a waste of money.  Just hope we don't end up with crap.  If they want a crappy coach, I'll take it for a lot less money.  I'm sure I can win more SEC games than BB. 🤣🤣🤣

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: isavedjazz on November 28, 2017, 12:32:39 pm
The firm is for VETTING candidates. Calm down.
When is the last time we've seen a big time college football power need to hire a vetting service. You guys can put as much lipstick on this sow of a situation as you please, but in the end, I guarantee you this was not in the original flow chart of hiring a new football coach

HoggieStyle

JCP was NEVER going to be the one to make the decision(s).

She's just the one that's going to announce the decision(s) that are made.

hawgon

Quote from: HoggieStyle on November 28, 2017, 12:46:46 pm
JCP was NEVER going to be the one to make the decision(s).

She's just the one that's going to announce the decision(s) that are made.

Yeah, but I don't think that SHE realized that.

thebignasty

Quote from: hawgon on November 28, 2017, 12:49:08 pm

She probably knew the intent, but darn, she has the title.  Don't blame her for trying to flex, even if it doesnt work out.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hawgon on November 28, 2017, 12:49:08 pm
We have a 'hole in one' on the above post

Boardon Hamsay

Any real estate agents showing any houses to the search firms this week?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

porkrindjimmy

This search firm business is to piss somebody off.

Ain't gonna end well for somebody.

PRJ

hawgon

After watching the BOT slip the shiv into Long's quivering corpse, I can't believe that Steinmetz seriously plans on bucking the money.  Oh, he may have erred and gave JCP too much latitude, but I can't believe that when push comes to shove that he will stick his neck that far out.

20gauge

If the firm is for vetting only, then they shouldn't have let JCP get out in front of the world and say we weren't going to need one. That one line in her presser is what throws this thing in to chaos

Matt Burks

I can't say I know how they are used in the hiring process for an AD or football Coach, but I've been witness to several search firms for superintendents over high school administrations, at different areas of the state. In those cases, the search firms help the school boards sort through the candidates and basically do all the vetting leg work. The search firm doesn't makes the final decision (though they can give a recommendation), that is made by the school board members, but it does give the school board another entity to hold accountable should the hire not work out. In the long run a search firm can also save money, and it can be very valuable to school administrators. I don't fault the U of A for using a search firm to finalize details. Rather, I think that is a smart decision.

riccoar

Hey, the search firm brought us a gem in Men's BBall a few years back.

Hogfan46

Quote from: 20gauge on November 28, 2017, 01:32:41 pm
If the firm is for vetting only, then they shouldn't have let JCP get out in front of the world and say we weren't going to need one. That one line in her presser is what throws this thing in to chaos

She said we would not have a search committee. She didn't say anything about not using a firm to handle vetting of candidates.

BroyledNutts

After my initial discouraged reaction to the news, I just thought of another angle on this ...

What if the search firm was hired to vet whether or not Norvell really does have a gambling problem before moving to contract negotiations?

Jim Harris

Quote from: TebowHater on November 28, 2017, 11:28:26 am
I don't know that they even pick at all. Almost just consultant / sounding board for AD + logistics (per CBS article)

They don't pick. They give the school a group (such as three) names of people who want the job and check out. This is done throughout universities. The biggest thing is they check everything out. The pick is up to you, and you can trash the names they give you. They're just helping and covering all the bases.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

trippigs

The little general got her wings clipped....her bad start just got worse.

razorcash2