Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by WPSALLDAY, November 28, 2017, 09:24:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellon Collie

Quote from: hvsupastar on November 28, 2017, 09:37:55 am
My question is why hasn't he been head coach before?  He's not exactly a spring chicken.

exactly. Career assistant. no shame in that.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2017, 09:35:24 am
There is a love affair with the Memphis coach that I just don't understand. Venables is by far the best coach that we can get.

Let me get this straight. Norvell is too inexperienced as a HC , so let's get a guy with a 0-0 record as a HC.

Venables was practically run out of OK, Blow U fans complained about him constantly.

Riddle me this: why has his name come up for HC jobs the last 10-15 years, but he was not hired or took none of them?

He has done a very good job at Clemson, I agree. I just wonder about why he is still a DC. If it's because he is super picky, would he even accept our job if offered?

If he took the job and hired an ace OC and it was known why on the above question, I could get behind his hire if he's the guy.

Could he be waiting on Snyder to retire at KSU? Don't know.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Calvin Swine

He's actively tried to get a HC job but hasn't landed one yet in what... 5-10 years?  So, he's had zero head coaching experience and always premium talent to work with. 

1. Arkansas doesn't have that kind of talent
2. He has no head coaching experience
3. Has little experience within programs that deal with the challenges we face

No thanks.

GoHogs1091

If they want to interview him, they could early next week.

If I am not mistaken, the prior year's Broyles Award Winner is at the next year's event (I believe the prior year Winner gives a speech). 

If I am correct, he will be in Little Rock early next week.

SpenceHogg

Venables isn't polished or charismatic enough for most elite head coaching jobs.  I agree he is probably the best D-coordinator in college football.  But he's not going to be the voice of a major program.  Whether you like them or not, almost all head coaches of P5 programs have a CEO/politician demeanor, strong communication.  Some are quirky (Gundy, Kiffin, Miles) and some have been bat darn crazy like Nutt and Orgeron.  But all 5 of those mentioned each had a certain level of personality and charisma that Venables is lacking.  And I think he knows it and is content to be a great DC.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVIj5bpjskY&t=20s