Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Besides Gus and Norvell, do we have any verification on who the other targets

Started by Hollywood870, November 20, 2017, 09:49:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood870

might be? As far as legitimate targets we've inquired about. Also, do you guys think that there are some currently employed head coaches they we have reached out too on the down low. Some names we haven't been discussing.

Spektre

hobhog

Quote from: Spektre on November 20, 2017, 10:00:31 pm
I know it is pretty far-fetched... but the same thing popped into my head earlier today.

Can you verify it? Norvell and Gus are apparently verified.

davril98

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on November 20, 2017, 10:41:45 pm
Can you verify it? Norvell and Gus are apparently verified.

Pete has that blue check mark, so there's that...

online-with-swine

Leach, maybe.  Might as well kick the tires on Campbell and Morris too.  Wasn't there a rumor about Fuentes being talked to last year after the bowl game?

duckman

d3maybe

HF#1

Quote from: duckman on November 21, 2017, 09:36:20 am
I think the sleeper is Gundy...  Strictly opinion

He like Patterson is always in the conversation when Arkansas has a coaching search. I'm not sure why other than proximity to Arkansas. Gundy isn't leaving Okie State, he is a lifer. Same with Patterson at TCU.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

Quote from: d3maybe on November 21, 2017, 09:38:06 am
Venables actually interviewed for the job in 2012 so...

I wish we could get him but I have to think he is the favorite to replace Dabo when Dabo leaves for Bama in a couple years.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

grayhawg

d3maybe

Quote from: HF#1 on November 21, 2017, 09:39:40 am
I wish we could get him but I have to think he is the favorite to replace Dabo when Dabo leaves for Bama in a couple years.

You may be right, but I'd dang sure make him say no... a couple of times. I truly think with a really good OC he could be very successful here.

HF#1

Quote from: d3maybe on November 21, 2017, 10:16:49 am
You may be right, but I'd dang sure make him say no... a couple of times. I truly think with a really good OC he could be very successful here.

Won't get an argument from me.

ricepig

online-with-swine

That Georgia win may have snuffed the fire that had been building under his seat.  Without that pressure he may realize that Aubbie isn't too bad after all.

Been10Hog

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 21, 2017, 10:57:56 am
That Georgia win may have snuffed the fire that had been building under his seat.  Without that pressure he may realize that Aubbie isn't too bad after all.
Just wait and check the Auburn message boards if he loses Saturday!

hogsanity

Gruden, Carroll, Saban, Richt, Kelly ( Brian and Chip ), Dabo, Patterson, Petersen, Smart, Mullen,

But, they all have to be willing to come for a base salary of 1mil, with incentives kicking in at 9 regular season wins.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Airforcehawg

I would really like a proven defensive minded coach. I wish they would give a hard look a G. Schiano. He has shown that he can build a winner...had Rutgers a game away from the Natty. He can sell the NFL role being a former coach, and being a coach in the North East, Mid West, and Florida...he "should" have connections to recruiting those areas. If not him, someone with a like background. 

I would much rather have a dominate defensive team with a balanced offense versus the opposite. Look at the Team stats for total offense and total defense. 5 of the top 10 defensive teams are in the playoff hunt and 1 (South Florida) has a chance for a major bowl. Then you look at the offense side, and while there are competitive teams on there...you also have teams like: Colorado State (7-5), Toledo (9-2), Arizona (7-4), SMU (6-5), and Mizzou (6-5).

Top Total D
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Top Total O
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total

OkieBack

Quote from: d3maybe on November 21, 2017, 09:38:06 am
Venables actually interviewed for the job in 2012 so...

Forget it.  The fans have spoken.  We are going with Petrino and a chimpanzee as DC.

farmhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 11:16:54 am
Gruden, Carroll, Saban, Richt, Kelly ( Brian and Chip ), Dabo, Patterson, Petersen, Smart, Mullen,

But, they all have to be willing to come for a base salary of 1mil, with incentives kicking in at 9 regular season wins.
obtuse.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

henri2

[/quote]  lol, good luck with that.

d3maybe

Quote from: OkieBack on November 21, 2017, 11:38:10 am
Forget it.  The fans have spoken.  We are going with Petrino and a chimpanzee as DC.

Yeah, but some of the "fans" here will cut their noses off to spite their own face too.

davehog

Quote from: Airforcehawg on November 21, 2017, 11:34:24 am
I would really like a proven defensive minded coach. I wish they would give a hard look a G. Schiano. He has shown that he can build a winner...had Rutgers a game away from the Natty. He can sell the NFL role being a former coach, and being a coach in the North East, Mid West, and Florida...he "should" have connections to recruiting those areas. If not him, someone with a like background. 

I would much rather have a dominate defensive team with a balanced offense versus the opposite. Look at the Team stats for total offense and total defense. 5 of the top 10 defensive teams are in the playoff hunt and 1 (South Florida) has a chance for a major bowl. Then you look at the offense side, and while there are competitive teams on there...you also have teams like: Colorado State (7-5), Toledo (9-2), Arizona (7-4), SMU (6-5), and Mizzou (6-5).

Top Total D
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Top Total O
http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total

Charlie Strong should be at or near the top of the Arkansas list. He checks all the boxes. The ONLY knock on him is that he didn't do well at Texas.  I get it, that's a big deal but UT had major issues when he started there.  He tried to change the culture too quickly. 

He's been a successful DC at many top schools - check
Great success as a head coach at Louisville - check
Has recruiting experience in key areas for Arkansas - check
Ability to hire a great staff - check
Is from Arkansas and played college ball in the state - check

The talk on here seems to focus on Gus and Norvell but Charlie Strong may turn out to the be the best candidate with all things considered.