Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Country: Mike Leach crushes state of SEC offenses

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, November 20, 2017, 05:29:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Given that we are officially in a coaching search now and that some actually want Mike Leach to come to Arkansas, I thought I would post this article from about 10 months ago where Leach commented on at least some of the SEC Offenses.

On the heels of offensive production vs. Miss State that netted the Hogs just 216 total yards, maybe he is right. I'm not sure that he would be a good fit in Fayetteville and I'm also not certain that he would have interest, especially since his name has been mentioned a few times for the UCLA job. But the man knows how to put together an offense that generates a lot of yards.

Whether it winds up being Leach or someone else, it is obvious that we need more creative offensive schemes that offers better blocking angles for the O-Line and puts play-makers in "space" where they have a chance to generate more yards. Of course there is that little thing called "defense" that we also need, but at least our defense held on for as long as they could on Saturday holding Miss State to just 348 yards. It seems that with a few tweaks, the potential is there.

Anyway, here are Leach's comments.

"First, it becomes it won't work," Leach said. "Second, they basically say oh it's a system, suggesting that people who don't do it that way, who just run it up the middle, stick all your asses together so one hand grenade can kill everybody, that's the right way to do it. Since they do it the right way, they're OK with the fact they lost.

"This is a great time to be in the SEC, everybody's got the same offense: run right, run left, play action. And they tease themselves and say we threw it four more times a game this year than we did last year."

More inside:

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/mike-leach-crushes-sec-offenses
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

If Leach is hired, I can't imagine having a "good defense".  I put that in quotes, because that's what everyone will say we lack with Leach.  His offense simply won't allow it, just like Petrino's didn't.

For the record, I'm not against hiring Leach and I actually think Petrino's defenses were highly underrated, considering his offensive style.  If Leach could equal Petrino's defensive numbers, then I'd be very happy with him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on November 20, 2017, 06:31:58 am
If Leach is hired, I can't imagine having a "good defense".  I put that in quotes, because that's what everyone will say we lack with Leach.  His offense simply won't allow it, just like Petrino's didn't.

For the record, I'm not against hiring Leach and I actually think Petrino's defenses were highly underrated, considering his offensive style.  If Leach could equal Petrino's defensive numbers, then I'd be very happy with him.

It appears that he has changed his attitude about the need for defense.

Total Defense Ranking
2014: #97
2015: #84
2016: #62
2017: #11
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2017, 06:38:33 am

Total Defense Ranking

Now let's compare that to our defenses.
2014:  #22
2015:  #67
2016:  #74
2017:  #87

Not a good trend and explains, in part, why Bielema is being shown the door. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hoglady

I like Leach - think he could do pretty good here.
It's a crap shoot whoever you go with.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

AugustaHog

Leach would certainly make things fun again.  I think it would take a couple years to get right on both sides of the ball, but that's to be expected any time you change systems.  We could do much, much worse than Mike Leach.  I actually like the idea of trying him over trying Gus.

Matt Burks

Please answer me this - what good or great running backs want to play in Leach's Air Raid offense?

What would happen with the running backs we have now if Leach was hired? Seriously, I would bet that they don't want to play in a system where they rarely get to even run.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 20, 2017, 09:54:03 am
Please answer me this - what good or great running backs want to play in Leach's Air Raid offense?

What would happen with the running backs we have now if Leach was hired? Seriously, I would bet that they don't want to play in a system where they rarely get to even run.

They get more all purpose yards? Do we care if we have great RB's as long as we are throwing for 375-425 per game, winning more games and we are, "entertained".
Go Hogs Go!

Mellon Collie

Leach is a great coach.  He has his sights on the UCLA gig I'm sure.

d3maybe

What good or great QB WOULD?

HF#1

SEC Country is a crack pot operation. They lost all credibility with me yesterday with that click bait story referencing SBNation's suggestion that Bielema is gone at the end of the season. Used that to state it as fact.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

porkerfinger

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2017, 11:44:18 am
They get more all purpose yards? Do we care if we have great RB's as long as we are throwing for 375-425 per game, winning more games and we are, "entertained".

We would be entertained on the field and in press conferences.

hoglady

Leach's 2 main running backs also have quite a few receptions.
One has 900+ all purpose yards and the other has 700+ all purpose yards.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Matt Burks

Quote from: hoglady on November 20, 2017, 05:12:55 pm
Leach's 2 main running backs also have quite a few receptions.
One has 900+ all purpose yards and the other has 700+ all purpose yards.

Yeah, that's not what running backs want to play in. They have dreams of playing in the NFL and that system definitely doesn't help. That's just another wideout.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 20, 2017, 05:24:00 pm
Yeah, that's not what running backs want to play in. They have dreams of playing in the NFL and that system definitely doesn't help. That's just another wideout.

Maybe, maybe not. The NFL is more of a passing league and it is important to them that a RB be able to catch the ball and make plays in space.

One is headed one way, the other is headed another way it terms of yards per rush productivity. WSU just uses their short passing game as a running game.

Wash State                                 Arkansas      
Year   rushes   Yards   yds/rush      rushes   Yards   yds/rush
2017   221        884       4.0            431     1883      4.4
2016   362       1560       4.3            517     2135     4.1
2015   293       1041       3.6            512     2565     5.0
2014   243        478       2.0             557     2834     5.1
2013   243        694       2.9             474     2504     5.3
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2017, 06:14:11 pm
Maybe, maybe not. The NFL is more of a passing league and it is important to them that a RB be able to catch the ball and make plays in space.

One is headed one way, the other is headed another way it terms of yards per rush productivity. WSU just uses their short passing game as a running game.

Wash State                                 Arkansas      
Year   rushes   Yards   yds/rush      rushes   Yards   yds/rush
2017   221        884       4.0            431     1883      4.4
2016   362       1560       4.3            517     2135     4.1
2015   293       1041       3.6            512     2565     5.0
2014   243        478       2.0             557     2834     5.1
2013   243        694       2.9             474     2504     5.3

Kamara the second running back for the Saints is used extensively in short yardage passing downs.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2017, 11:44:18 am

No run left, run right, fun middle and lose.  Never change, never yield the past is more important than the future.
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

hogsfanchaz

I will say this...It would never be dull on the field or off the field!
The difficult we do immediately....the impossible takes a little longer!!!!

clutch

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 20, 2017, 05:24:00 pm

I'm not really on the Leach to Arkansas wagon, but this really isn't the case anymore. There's quite a few backs in the NFL that are used almost extensively in the passing game. Chris Thompson for Washington has amassed a lot a yards and TD's this year with very few carries. The same for Mccaffrey, Kamara, and quite a few other backs around the league. There's actually probably more backs in the NFL now that produce through the passing game than there are traditional backs that produce through a lot of carries. There's not a lot of backs now that get more than 10 carries a game. Almost all teams use a stable of backs, so a back has a lot better chance to produce if they are weapons in the passing game.

26 out of 32 teams had a greater than greater than 55/45 pass run split in 2016. With 10 of those teams being over 60/40 pass run. Only 2 teams in the NFL had a higher run vs pass percentage. With both of those being barely over 50% run. The Bills were at 50.93% and the Cowboys at 50.81% run.

The average number of plays for an NFL team is right around 62 plays a game. So if you are looking at 45% of 62 plays, you are looking at about 27 carries per game. There's usually on feature back who gets around 15 carries. So you have basically 12 carries left to split between 2 backs usually, even less if you have a QB that you run with like Cam Newton or Russell Wilson. There's quite a few backs that are getting 6-8 targets a game in the passing game. So there's a big time need for backs that can contribute in the passing game. There's quite a few backs now that are used almost exclusively in the passing game.

The game has changed so much. That's why you don't hardly see RB's taken early in the 1st round anymore. If you do, they are that workhorse back that is going to get the 15+ carries a game like Elliott, Gurley, and Fournette. There's 32 slots available at most for that workhorse type back. So there is a lot better chance to make it as that complimentary back who can catch passes.

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 20, 2017, 06:38:33 am

Total Defense Ranking

2014-2016 are dismal, but I didn't realize WSU is 11th this season.  That's excellent!

Clutch also makes some great points in regard to NFL backs.  We'll probably recruit a different type of RB, but I don't think we'll suffer any in that area.  Knile Davis and Dennis Johnson certainly didn't at Arkansas.  I'll never forget how Davis finished ahead of Ingram and Lattimore in the 2010 SEC rushing stats, despite receiving far less attention.  The only player to finish higher was Newton, who played QB.

(notOM)Rebel123

Still looking for where a Leach "crushes" the state of SEC offenses....
Easy to say when he hasn't seen the likes of a Bama or Auburn defense on a regular basis.
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"...Mike Tyson
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

clutch

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 21, 2017, 04:52:00 am
Still looking for where a Leach "crushes" the state of SEC offenses....
Easy to say when he hasn't seen the likes of a Bama or Auburn defense on a regular basis.
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"...Mike Tyson

I think the article was deceiving. It should have just said Leach talks sh** about SEC offenses.