Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell or bust

Started by Hogsolo, November 20, 2017, 03:37:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Burks

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 11:16:17 am
Norvell damn sure won't do that. It will take him 3-4 years to get his sea legs. By that time, all these yahoo's will be pissed and calling for his head.

Gus can recruit
Gus can coach
Gus can and has won
Gus has had way more success than Arkansas since he left at the end of 06.

You seriously believe it will take him 3-4 years to get his "sea legs" - what?
I guess Florida should have never taken a chance on Urban Meyer. He had way less experience than Norvell when Florida hired him.
As a matter of fact, Gus only had 1 year of Head Coaching experience at Ark. State when Auburn hired him.

To add, Bielema had a lot of years of high level success at Wisconsin before he came here and we see how that turned out.

HogCzar1

Norvell damn sure won't do that. It will take him 3-4 years to get his sea legs. By that time, all these yahoo's will be pissed and calling for his head.

Gus can recruit
Gus can coach
Gus can and has won

None of that guarantees Gus's success here. None of it.

Gus may get the job, and do well. We will see.

But to dismiss Norvell as you have appears agenda driven.

If Gus gets the job, and can't get it done in 3 years will you call for his head too?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 20, 2017, 11:06:00 am
Like it or not, Gus will not unite the fan base. If you don't think there is drama that follows Gus, then you are not paying attention.

He'll unite the fan base if he wins big. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

SemperFi

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 20, 2017, 11:24:36 am
I guess Florida should have never taken a chance on Urban Meyer. He had way less experience than Norvell when Florida hired him.
As a matter of fact, Gus only had 1 year of Head Coaching experience at Ark. State when Auburn hired him.

To add, Bielema had a lot of years of high level success at Wisconsin before he came here and we see how that turned out.

Excellent points that are hard to argue with.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HotlantaHog

I have no problem with Norvell. He's obviously done well, just view him as a little bit of a risk from having never competed in anything like the SEC West.

If we end up with him, I will certainly support him -- buy tickets and continue to go to games.

My preference is Gus as a little more proven and someone who loves and knows NW Arkansas so he may be in a better position to sell the school ... know what is needed to attract players here... and has had high level success in the SEC West.

But if we end up with Norvell I am fine with it.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 20, 2017, 11:27:55 am
He'll unite the fan base if he wins big.
It is truly this simple and I'm not sure why people can't see past this.

OkieBack

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 20, 2017, 11:49:43 am

I agree, winning calms everybody down.  But if someone like Gus was to be hired and after 3 seasons got to only 7 or 8 wins tops, then does the HDN faction in Arkansas start calling for Gus' head?  I think Norvell and/or Venables would not get the boo birds nearly as quickly and I believe they could get the most bang for the buck in competing for an SEC title at Arkansas.  Just my opinion.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: OkieBack on November 20, 2017, 12:02:54 pm
I agree, winning calms everybody down.  But if someone like Gus was to be hired and after 3 seasons got to only 7 or 8 wins tops, then does the HDN faction in Arkansas start calling for Gus' head?  I think Norvell and/or Venables would not get the boo birds nearly as quickly and I believe they could get the most bang for the buck in competing for an SEC title at Arkansas.  Just my opinion.
Definitely a fair opinion.

RagingHawgOn

My brother-in-law lives in Memphis, is a huge Tiger fan and donor.  He claims Arkansas has reached out to Norvell and the Memphis AD, Tom Bowen with the possibility of a package deal.  No idea if there is anything to this, but he has always been pretty accurate with Memphis info. (Pastner, Fuente, etc.)  And, frankly, it makes sense; if I were a coach, I'd sure as hell want to know who my AD was going to be.

ipigsooie

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on November 20, 2017, 12:44:52 pm
My brother-in-law lives in Memphis, is a huge Tiger fan and donor.  He claims Arkansas has reached out to Norvell and the Memphis AD, Tom Bowen with the possibility of a package deal.  No idea if there is anything to this, but he has always been pretty accurate with Memphis info. (Pastner, Fuente, etc.)  And, frankly, it makes sense; if I were a coach, I'd sure as hell want to know who my AD was going to be.

Would be a good package. The guy obviously knows how to hire.

clutch

Gus can recruit
Gus can coach
Gus can and has won

You say that with certainty, but you have no idea. There's really more indicators pointing to him being a good coach than there are to a guy that can't get it done. I can understand your reasoning for wanting Gus, just as I can understand a lot of peoples reasons for not wanting him. Same goes with Norvell. What I don't understand is how people can be so sure about something that is really impossible to be sure about. There's been good coaches that failed, and bad coaches that succeeded. You never know what's going to happen.

I'm not much of a Gus fan because of the divide that I think he will cause in the fan base. I know everyone keeps saying winning will cure everything, but I'm not so sure that it will. There's quite a few fans that I know that aren't going to like Gus no matter what. Even if the winning does change their tune, it's going to take 3-4 years before it does I think, and a lot of damage can be done in 3-4 years.

Matt Burks

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on November 20, 2017, 12:44:52 pm

I looked up information on the Memphis AD the other day and he's quite impressive.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 20, 2017, 01:08:13 pm
I looked up information on the Memphis AD the other day and he's quite impressive.

He had an issue a few years back re signing pastner. They share an agent and there was some conflict of interest. No big deal. The kicker is, his agent is our of Fort Smith Arkansas. Hmmmmmm

SooieGeneris

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 20, 2017, 03:37:14 am
36 years old and is about to get a second QB drafted to the NFL.

Gus hasn't produced a 3,000 yard passer at Aweborn.

Nutt = running game above all - fans frustrated and angered
Petrino = split between dynamic passing and control rushing - fans excited until blonde ambition
Bielema = running game is all that - fans frustrated and angered

Why would we hire another run, run, run, pass coach?   We need to throw the damn ball! 

36 years old!   Tons of energy, tons of fight!
Norvell or bust, literally.

Gus had a 5,000 yard passer at Tulsa, but at some point along the way may have fallen in love with running up the middle ala Hooten.

The 2nd half of the LSU game in October, Aubarn ran something like 17 straight times, and ran up the middle on 1st down every time and blew a 20-0 halftime lead.

How Hootenesque or Bielemable is that? I'm afraid we would see more of the same if he came here.

Once he got here, with Armani Ronnie and the cult-like Gus-Bussers running interference, it might be next to impossible to get him out if he was underachieving or flat out mailing it in Hooty-style.

It might be 10 years of "what might have been" like the Texticle. I'd rather shoot for the stars with a guy like Norvell and if he burns out or fails, it would be much easier to get rid of him than Gus.

Just my take. I realize Norvell would be a little risky, but who wouldn't be? The best pre-Razorback resumes for head coaches in the history of the program belonged to Danny Ford and Bert.

Ford had just under 100 wins and a NC as a head coach at Clemson, high winning percentage, ACC championships, etc.

Bert had a record of 68-24 or the like at Wisconsin and as he constantly reminds everyone, three Rose Bowl appearances. How did THOSE hires work out?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

HF#1

Yes, nobody knows what will happen. Obviously the levels of risk some are willing to take are greater than others. I believe that most who do not want Gus as the coach have some sort of made up grudge against him. They will deny it all day but that is the reason they don't want him to be the coach.

If we hire Norvell, fine. I'll support him. I'll support whoever they hire until they prove they are unfit for the job.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

clutch

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 01:33:10 pm
Yes, nobody knows what will happen. Obviously the levels of risk some are willing to take are greater than others. I believe that most who do not want Gus as the coach have some sort of made up grudge against him. They will deny it all day but that is the reason they don't want him to be the coach.

If we hire Norvell, fine. I'll support him. I'll support whoever they hire until they prove they are unfit for the job.

It doesn't always have to be a grudge against him just because someone doesn't want him hired. Some people just don't like his coaching. The same way some people don't like Norvell's coaching, and some people didn't like Petrino's coaching.

I don't have any grudge against Gus. I don't much care for some of his coaching aspects though. I have serious doubts about his ability to develop a QB, which I think is going to be a major issue at a school such as Arkansas. I question his extremely run heavy tendencies when he doesn't have a very good QB, which is something that Nutt and Bielema were both disliked for, even though Malzahn is more run heavy than both of them at times. and I question his defense if he can't bring his current DC along with him. His defenses were never what they are now when he had Muschamp.

Those are all just doubts that I have though. I have no way to prove if they are accurate or not. It's natural for people to doubt. Not everyone is going to like every potential coach. It isn't always grudge related.

Paul

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 20, 2017, 08:02:02 am
Norvell has only been head coach less than 2 years. The talent you see isn't his.

Norvell has never coached in the SEC. Never recruited against the SEC. Heck, never really recruited at all yet he is so new to head coaching.

He is a pig in a poke at best.
Incorrect:  most of the kids starting are his recruits;  His 2 recruiting classes are the highest ranked in Memphis history including Fuente's

GuvHog

Quote from: Tony Perkis on November 20, 2017, 11:49:43 am

It isn't that simple because it isn't true. Gus would never unite the fan base no matter how many games he wins because too many people haven't forgotten what he did in 2006 and won't forget. The first time he has a down season things would get ugly.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HF#1

Quote from: clutch on November 20, 2017, 01:47:40 pm
It doesn't always have to be a grudge against him just because someone doesn't want him hired. Some people just don't like his coaching. The same way some people don't like Norvell's coaching, and some people didn't like Petrino's coaching.

I don't have any grudge against Gus. I don't much care for some of his coaching aspects though. I have serious doubts about his ability to develop a QB, which I think is going to be a major issue at a school such as Arkansas. I question his extremely run heavy tendencies when he doesn't have a very good QB, which is something that Nutt and Bielema were both disliked for, even though Malzahn is more run heavy than both of them at times. and I question his defense if he can't bring his current DC along with him. His defenses were never what they are now when he had Muschamp.

Those are all just doubts that I have though. I have no way to prove if they are accurate or not. It's natural for people to doubt. Not everyone is going to like every potential coach. It isn't always grudge related.

These are two qualities I want in the coach...

1. Recruiting at an SEC level. They have to bust us out of this "hard to recruit to Arkansas" stigma.
2. Knows the X's and O's.

Nothing else matters. I don't care if he is young, old, offensive/defensive, Arkansas ties, no Arkansas ties. None of that matters.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Matt Burks

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 20, 2017, 01:12:49 pm
Gus had a 5,000 yard passer at Tulsa, but at some point along the way may have fallen in love with running up the middle ala Hooten.

The 2nd half of the LSU game in October, Aubarn ran something like 17 straight times, and ran up the middle on 1st down every time and blew a 20-0 halftime lead.

How Hootenesque or Bielemable is that? I'm afraid we would see more of the same if he came here.

Once he got here, with Armani Ronnie and the cult-like Gus-Bussers running interference, it might be next to impossible to get him out if he was underachieving or flat out mailing it in Hooty-style.

It might be 10 years of "what might have been" like the Texticle. I'd rather shoot for the stars with a guy like Norvell and if he burns out or fails, it would be much easier to get rid of him than Gus.

Just my take. I realize Norvell would be a little risky, but who wouldn't be? The best pre-Razorback resumes for head coaches in the history of the program belonged to Danny Ford and Bert.

Ford had just under 100 wins and a NC as a head coach at Clemson, high winning percentage, ACC championships, etc.

Bert had a record of 68-24 or the like at Wisconsin and as he constantly reminds everyone, three Rose Bowl appearances. How did THOSE hires work out?
Gus was the Co-OC at Tulsa.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

November 20, 2017, 02:28:24 pm #70 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:58:16 am by exit followed by a boar
Quote from: OkieBack on November 20, 2017, 12:02:54 pm
But if someone like Gus was to be hired and after 3 seasons got to only 7 or 8 wins tops, then does the HDN faction in Arkansas start calling for Gus' head?
Do you really think it would only be the HDN faction to call for a coach's head if it turns out our ceiling was 7 or 8 wins?  For most folks, HDN is ancient history. Those who liked him are over it; those who didn't got their guy.  That part of our past is over. We might as well bitch about Hatfield.

EFBAB

Hawg Life

Paul

Norvell's team ranked #16/coaches poll, #17/AP, & #21 in playoff poll.  Highest ranking ever this late in season in Memphis history

OkieBack

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 20, 2017, 02:28:24 pm
Do you really think it would only be the HDN faction to call for a coaches head if it turns out our ceiling was 7 or 8 wins?  For most folks, HDN is ancient history. Those who liked him are over it; those who didn't got their guy.  That part of our past is over. We might as well bitch about Hatfield.

EFBAB

Ok, so educate me.  If the whole drama that played out in 2006 between HDN and GM is all past history that doesn't mean squat, then why would anyone argue against the hire of Gus Malzahn?  Is there something else about Gus that hasn't been mentioned here?  I'm just curious why there is this love/hate with Gus.  He seems like he should be a Statewide hero of sorts, unless you hold a grudge from the past of some sort.

I think Gus would be a fine hire if 8 or 9 wins is acceptable for now.  If you are shooting for an SEC title or a National Championship, I'd put my money in someone else like Norvell or Venables. who deserves the chance on the big stage but hasn't gotten it yet. 

Paul

Quote from: OkieBack on November 20, 2017, 02:55:07 pm
Ok, so educate me.  If the whole drama that played out in 2006 between HDN and GM is all past history that doesn't mean squat, then why would anyone argue against the hire of Gus Malzahn?  Is there something else about Gus that hasn't been mentioned here?  I'm just curious why there is this love/hate with Gus.  He seems like he should be a Statewide hero of sorts, unless you hold a grudge from the past of some sort.

I think Gus would be a fine hire if 8 or 9 wins is acceptable for now.  If you are shooting for an SEC title or a National Championship, I'd put my money in someone else like Norvell or Venables. who deserves the chance on the big stage but hasn't gotten it yet.
one of the reasons to not want Gus is how he is a part of a culture & program that bought Cam & got off Scot free. I agree with your last statement & believe many of our fans are beat down by the crap we've had to deal with ever since HDN, BP JLS &. now B.B.  we need to dream big because at this point we have nowhere to go but up.  Let's take a chance & hire someone who could take us to heights we've never seen

JONAS

November 21, 2017, 09:57:23 am #76 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:04:03 pm by JONAS
Mike Norvell is the leader for Ole Miss, per Mike Johnson of 247 Rebels.   He thinks it could happen Monday, but no later than (next) Friday. "It will happen quick after the punishment is released."  Just heard it on Bo Bounds radio show Out of Bounds on ESPN radio out of Jackson, MS.

Wildhog

Quote from: JONAS on November 21, 2017, 09:57:23 am
Mike Norvell is the leader for Ole Miss, per Mike Johnson of 247 Rebels.   He thinks it could happen Monday, but no later than (next) Friday. "It will happen quick after the punishment is released."  Just heard it on Bo Bounds radio show Out of Bounds on ESPN radio out f Jackson, MS.

This board will implode if Ole Miss hires Norvell.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: OkieBack on November 20, 2017, 02:55:07 pm

Someone already responded with Cam and what looks to be some dirtiness with Gus. So I'll leave that be.

Others don't think he's done much with the very good classes he's had at Auburn.  So they are afraid he'll do less here. I tend to agree with those folks; however, I also grant that he almost won a championship with Nick Marshall as a QB, which is saying something.  If he comes, I'll root for him.  Not that my rooting for anyone has done them any good when it comes to the Hogs.

EFBAB

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 09:57:53 am

I have a hard time believing he'll do anything until after Memphis plays their CCG. He's in demand so there's no reason to rush into a situation like Ole Miss.

JONAS

Quote from: Wildhog on November 21, 2017, 09:57:53 am

I will too.  I want Norvell.  Hopefully, the NCAA will hammer them and nobody will want that job.

ipigsooie

Quote from: JONAS on November 21, 2017, 10:10:02 am
I will too.  I want Norvell.  Hopefully, the NCAA will hammer them and nobody will want that job.

He will be hammering us for the foreseeable future. Then we can say...."what about his defense." I really hope this isn't true.

Sooie71923

has anyone had a 3000 yard passer in the SEC?

lets see Norvell get a reality check in the SEC.

King Kong

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 21, 2017, 10:32:28 am
has anyone had a 3000 yard passer in the SEC?

lets see Norvell get a reality check in the SEC.

? This the first part a serious question?

ipigsooie

Has anyone not had a 3000 yard passer?

OkieBack

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 10:24:38 am
He will be hammering us for the foreseeable future. Then we can say...."what about his defense." I really hope this isn't true.

So it's decided.  Arkansas needs and offensive guru who can hang 45 points a game and win 8 or 9 games tops.  No SEC title.  No National Championship hopes.   So let's kiss and make up and bring back Mr. Petrino and have him hire a chimpanzee as his DC.  That oughta do it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 10:38:31 am
Has anyone not had a 3000 yard passer?

Drew Lock has thrown for 3200 so far and hasn't played us this year.  He'll wind up around 4000 for the year.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

The Boar War

Mike Norvell is the leader for Ole Miss, per Mike Johnson of 247 Rebels.   He thinks it could happen Monday, but no later than (next) Friday. "It will happen quick after the punishment is released."  Just heard it on Bo Bounds radio show Out of Bounds on ESPN radio out f Jackson, MS.

I have no doubt that he's their lead candidate.  But to believe he would take the ole miss job means that he has no other SEC interest (no Florida, no Arkansas, no Tennessee) and that he doesn't want to coach in the conference championship game.  I don't believe either.

clutch

That's extremely hard to believe. I don't think he will go anywhere until after he coaches on December 2nd. I'm also not sure why he'd jump right into the Ole Miss job so early when he will more than likely get an opportunity at either Arkansas, Florida, or Tennessee. I don't see him slipping past all 3 of those. All 3 of those are in a better situation since he will be at a trouble free program.

If Luke finds a way to win the Egg Bowl and get them to 6 wins, I think there's a chance that he stays at Ole Miss. Especially if the penalties they get are bad. He hasn't done a terrible job considering the circumstances.

hogsanity

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 20, 2017, 11:24:36 am

Umm, Urban had been a HC at 2 different schools before Florida hired him and was an assistant for 13 years before that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hvsupastar

How many 3000 yard passers have Alabama Ohio State or Clemson had?
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

ipigsooie

Quote from: hvsupastar on November 21, 2017, 11:19:06 am

Clemson won it all last year with a dude that passed for over 4000 yards. He did it the year prior as well. Point?

clutch

Quote from: hvsupastar on November 21, 2017, 11:19:06 am

Watson passed for over 4000 in 2015 and almost 4600 in 2016. Tajh Boyd passed for close to 4000. Coker went for over 3000 in 2015 at Bama, Hurts almost had 3000 last year and he was a terrible passer. Sims went for over 3000 in 2014. So basically they have a passer that throws over 3000 almost every year.

Heck, Austin Allen had almost 3500 last season himself. There's a lot of 3000 yard passers in the SEC.

OkieBack

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 11:23:22 am
Clemson won it all last year with a dude that passed for over 4000 yards. He did it the year prior as well. Point?

Impossible.  Your numbers are skewed.  Don't you know they have Brent Venables as their DC?  It's all about defense at Clemson.  Lol.

clutch

Quote from: OkieBack on November 21, 2017, 11:25:20 am
Impossible.  Your numbers are skewed.  Don't you know they have Brent Venables as their DC?  It's all about defense at Clemson.  Lol.

It does seem that everyone has forgotten that Clemson was originally known for their dynamic offense. Once they finally were able to match their offense with a top defense they became champions. Dabo built that whole program around an exciting, high scoring offense, and the success he had with that allowed him to bring in talent on the defensive side of the ball after a while.

OkieBack

Quote from: clutch on November 21, 2017, 11:27:38 am
It does seem that everyone has forgotten that Clemson was originally known for their dynamic offense. Once they finally were able to match their offense with a top defense they became champions. Dabo built that whole program around an exciting, high scoring offense, and the success he had with that allowed him to bring in talent on the defensive side of the ball after a while.

Well if left up to the fan base that is where we are at it seems.  Get an offensive-minded coach and hope he can hire a good enough defensive coordinator to win 8 or 9 games to start off with.  We will worry about building for the SEC Title Game later on.  I'll support whomever, however Venables is the man that I'm convinced could do it at Arkansas.  Defense AND exciting offense.

clutch

Quote from: OkieBack on November 21, 2017, 11:31:16 am
Well if left up to the fan base that is where we are at it seems.  Get an offensive-minded coach and hope he can hire a good enough defensive coordinator to win 8 or 9 games to start off with.  We will worry about building for the SEC Title Game later on.  I'll support whomever, however Venables is the man that I'm convinced could do it at Arkansas.  Defense AND exciting offense.

I agree with the majority of the fan base that it's the way to go. Arkansas is more than likely not winning and SEC CC next year or the season after, no matter who is coaching. It's going to take a couple of years. They do have the pieces in place to have a very good offensive turnaround quickly though. Which could win enough games to satisfy the fan base. The defense is going to be a project that takes a few years no matter who is coaching. Defense usually comes down to having good defensive depth. It's going to take a few years to get it to where it needs to be.

okrazorback

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 20, 2017, 03:37:14 am
36 years old and is about to get a second QB drafted to the NFL.

Gus hasn't produced a 3,000 yard passer at Aweborn.

Nutt = running game above all - fans frustrated and angered
Petrino = split between dynamic passing and control rushing - fans excited until blonde ambition
Bielema = running game is all that - fans frustrated and angered

Why would we hire another run, run, run, pass coach?   We need to throw the damn ball! 

Norvell or bust. I hope it isn't Norvell  & bust.
36 years old!   Tons of energy, tons of fight!
Norvell or bust, literally.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Going to keep posting until people realize many of the coaches that have been transformative, taken programs to new heights or restored long sleeping giants were relatively inexperienced. 

One reason for this I believe is they did not limit themselves, they did not have some backlog of history telling them what to do or not to do.  They was no book on them.  They were young, energetic, willing to take risks, or do things differently.

Bob Stoops was 38 when hired at OU.  Had never been an HC and had only been a full DC (no Co) for 3 seasons at Florida. 

PJ Fleck had never even been a coordinator when hired at WMU. 

Jeff Brohm had only been an HC for 3 years at WKU, when hired by Purdue  Willy Taggart and BP built that up. 

Mark Richt had never been an HC when hired at Georgia.

Mike Leach was 38 when hired by Texas Tech and had only been a D1 coordinator for 3 years. 

Mike Gundy had never been an HC when promoted by OSU at age 37.

Dabo Swinney had never even been a coordinator when promoted to HC at the age of 39

Gary Patterson had only been a DC for 5 years when promoted at TCU.

Jim Harbaugh's total college experience was 2 years FCS HC when hired at Stanford.

Frank Broyles had 1 year HC experience when hired at Arkansas at age 33.

Tom Herman had 2 years HC experience when hired at Texas.  Was he winning at Houston with someone else's players?

Urban Meyer had 4 years HC experience when hired at Florida.  Spent 2 years at 2 different schools.  Was he winning with someone else's players?

James Franklin had 0 years HC experience and only 4 as an OC when hired at Vandy at age 38.  Amazing that a guy with no HC experience was able to orchestrate such an impressive turn around.

Mike Norvell was full OC at Arizona State for 4 years and AHC for 2 of those before being hired at Memphis.  More P5 coordinator experience than Stoops or Leach when they landed first P5 HC jobs, plus he will have two years of HC experience so 6 years total as either full coordinaor or HC.

I could probably find instances of failure as well because coaching ain't easy.  What I could also find are example of guys with much more experience that also failed.  We are living through one of those right now.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 21, 2017, 01:20:18 pm
Going to keep posting until people realize many of the coaches that have been transformative, taken programs to new heights or restored long sleeping giants were relatively inexperienced. 

One reason for this I believe is they did not limit themselves, they did not have some backlog of history telling them what to do or not to do.  They was no book on them.  They were young, energetic, willing to take risks, or do things differently.

Bob Stoops was 38 when hired at OU.  Had never been an HC and had only been a full DC (no Co) for 3 seasons at Florida. 

PJ Fleck had never even been a coordinator when hired at WMU. 

Jeff Brohm had only been an HC for 3 years at WKU, when hired by Purdue  Willy Taggart and BP built that up. 

Mark Richt had never been an HC when hired at Georgia.

Mike Leach was 38 when hired by Texas Tech and had only been a D1 coordinator for 3 years. 

Mike Gundy had never been an HC when promoted by OSU at age 37.

Dabo Swinney had never even been a coordinator when promoted to HC at the age of 39

Gary Patterson had only been a DC for 5 years when promoted at TCU.

Jim Harbaugh's total college experience was 2 years FCS HC when hired at Stanford.

Frank Broyles had 1 year HC experience when hired at Arkansas at age 33.

Tom Herman had 2 years HC experience when hired at Texas.  Was he winning at Houston with someone else's players?

Urban Meyer had 4 years HC experience when hired at Florida.  Spent 2 years at 2 different schools.  Was he winning with someone else's players?

James Franklin had 0 years HC experience and only 4 as an OC when hired at Vandy at age 38.  Amazing that a guy with no HC experience was able to orchestrate such an impressive turn around.

Mike Norvell was full OC at Arizona State for 4 years and AHC for 2 of those before being hired at Memphis.  More P5 coordinator experience than Stoops or Leach when they landed first P5 HC jobs, plus he will have two years of HC experience so 6 years total as either full coordinaor or HC.

I could probably find instances of failure as well because coaching ain't easy.  What I could also find are example of guys with much more experience that also failed.  We are living through one of those right now.

13 coaches in the top 25 are at their first HC jobs!!!