Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What to expect if we hire Leach

Started by razorjack12, November 19, 2017, 05:05:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Locutus_of_Boar

The last time Mike Leach was in the SEC as Hal Mumme's OC the Cats went 20-26, 43% with the low point being a 1998 loss to Houston Nutt of all people.

Anyway Bielema unshaven looks more like a real pirate than does Leach so why even bother.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 19, 2017, 06:18:54 pm
We need a recruiter.  Of the names being thrown around, GM is probably the best recruiter.  He also has experience and success in the SEC.
Exactly.  I don't know if Malzahn is a great recruiter but he is definitely better than Leach.  Leach would have us playing with La Tech/SMU/La-Monroe type talent.  He may win a few but never get over the hump with that kind of talent. 
Now I do like his DC, Alex Grinch, who comes from the Mt. Union coaching tree like Matt Campbell and Jason Candle.  he has done wonders there.  Before Leach got him his defense was horrible as it always was at Texas Tech.  Kudos to leach for hiring him but I don't want Leach type football in the SEC with his poor recruiting. 

Torqued pork

I'm a relic. I haven't given up all hope of seeing a respectable Hog defense before I die.  Leach's  one season out of a career with such a defense doesn't inspire me, but I will get behind him if he's the next coach.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hog911

Quote from: hogz11 on November 19, 2017, 06:07:07 pm
Good grief no. It would be a circus. I'll pass.....

1. Gus

2. Norvell

3. Hope it doesn't get to here.....

^^ this

hoglady

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 19, 2017, 06:18:24 pm
Where is this nonsense coming from?

I have no idea.
I've scanned the net trying to find some NCAA violations or suspected violations in his background and haven't found a thing.
I understand some don't want him as coach - but no reason to slander his name.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoglady on November 19, 2017, 07:48:59 pm
I have no idea.
I've scanned the net trying to find some NCAA violations or suspected violations in his background and haven't found a thing.

The only thing may have been that thing with the James kid.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hoglady on November 19, 2017, 07:48:59 pm
I have no idea.

It's the American way lately.

nwahogs

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: BR on November 19, 2017, 07:03:53 pm
read the final verdict, Craig James son lied about it..   http://bleacherreport.com/articles/316689-emails-from-tech-players-show-mike-leach-was-lied-about-by-crybaby-james.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=4828405

There are plenty more links on the lies the kid told

Thx for the links. OK lets say he comes. We know he can run a good O with the right players. Will he be able to recruit here? In particular D players.

hoglady

Quote from: Wooderson on November 19, 2017, 06:23:19 pm
Leach was Longs guy, but guess what....Longs gone

I don't know.
Everything I've read leans toward Long solidly behind Bielema and wanting to give him year 6.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 19, 2017, 07:50:58 pm
The only thing may have been that thing with the James kid.

That really wasn't an NCAA issue.
It was later shown that the spoiled baby Craig kid - lied about it and thought it was funny.
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 07:53:02 pm
Thx for the links. OK lets say he comes. We know he can run a good O with the right players. Will he be able to recruit here? In particular D players.

Please tell me the last coach that was able to get a good defense here?  The recruiting classes he pulls in here would be similar to all the other coaches that have been here as far as ranking goes.  Defense will not be top end, but it would be similar to all of his other stops.

We would score points and win more than what we have lost.  Facing Alabama with Saban will be the same. The rest of the conference would be similar to when Petrino was here in my opinion. Another words he would do what majority of fans would like.  Average about 8 wins a year with some 10 or even 11 win seasons with an ocassional 7 win season. 

I see him being at Arkansas maybe a total of 5 to 7 years because he probably will retire about 62.

Matt Burks

If it's Leach, the days of great running backs will go. What running backs really want to play in the Air Raid offense?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoglady on November 19, 2017, 07:56:51 pm
That really wasn't an NCAA issue.
It was later shown that the spoiled baby Craig kid - lied about it and thought it was funny.
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

I think it could have been an NCAA issue...if it was true.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 19, 2017, 08:02:31 pm
If it's Leach, the days of great running backs will go. What running backs really want to play in the Air Raid offense?

I just want to win. 

Matt Burks

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 19, 2017, 08:05:58 pm
I just want to win. 
I like Leach's quirky personality but I'm not sold that the Air Raid offense will work in the SEC.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 19, 2017, 08:00:48 pm
Please tell me the last coach that was able to get a good defense here?  The recruiting classes he pulls in here would be similar to all the other coaches that have been here as far as ranking goes.  Defense will not be top end, but it would be similar to all of his other stops.

We would score points and win more than what we have lost.  Facing Alabama with Saban will be the same. The rest of the conference would be similar to when Petrino was here in my opinion. Another words he would do what majority of fans would like.  Average about 8 wins a year with some 10 or even 11 win seasons with an ocassional 7 win season. 

I see him being at Arkansas maybe a total of 5 to 7 years because he probably will retire about 62.

That was nice. That is why I wanted Brohm here - but he has a massive buyout. I honestly never considered the Pirate as a replacement.

ChicoHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 19, 2017, 08:00:48 pm

No way we get the occasional 10 or 11 win season with leach.  And we would not recruit as well as we are now which still is not very good.  You can win in the Pac 12 with less talent because most of the teams you play have similar talent.  Here most of the teams we play have more NFL talent than what Wazzu plays. 

hoglady

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 08:09:25 pm
That was nice. That is why I wanted Brohm here - but he has a massive buyout. I honestly never considered the Pirate as a replacement.
Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 08:09:25 pm

I would have liked Brohm, too.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 19, 2017, 08:08:18 pm
I like Leach's quirky personality but I'm not sold that the Air Raid offense will work in the SEC.

It's about talent first.  Always has been.  Any "system" will likely work given the enough talent.

But I agree on Leach.  I don't know what kind of recruiter he is, and I don't know how long it will take him to turn this mess around.  That quirky personality will get on a lot of nerves very quickly if he's not winning fairly soon.

And I don't know why he'd take a lateral position in a much more difficult conference.  Money notwithstanding.

Matt Burks

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 19, 2017, 08:17:49 pm
It's about talent first.  Always has been.  Any "system" will likely work given the enough talent.

But I agree on Leach.  I don't know what kind of recruiter he is, and I don't know how long it will take for him to turn this mess around.  That quirky personality will get on a lot of nerves very quickly if he's not winning fairly soon.

And I don't know why he'd take a lateral position in a much more difficult conference.  Money notwithstanding.
I don't know why Arkansas fans would want a coach who rarely uses the running backs? We have a lot of good running backs now and a very rich tradition of great running backs. Do Leach fans really want to abandon that?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: hoglady on November 19, 2017, 08:16:55 pm
I would have liked Brohm, too.

Like Petrino without the baggage. But his buyout is crazy.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 19, 2017, 08:20:24 pm
I don't know why Arkansas fans would want a coach who rarely uses the running backs? We have a lot of good running backs now and a very rich tradition of great running backs. Do Leach fans really want to abandon that?

Our tradition in the SEC has been mediocrity.  That's what I want to abandon.  And I'm not a Leach fan.

If I had my choice, and he's too big for us IMO, I'd hire Gary Patterson.

Matt Burks

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 19, 2017, 08:26:22 pm
Our tradition in the SEC has been mediocrity.  That's what I want to abandon.  And I'm not a Leach fan.

I guess the Petrino years were mediocre?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 19, 2017, 08:26:22 pm

If they are really thinking about shelling out $6.7mil for Gus, they can get pretty much 3/4 of all D1 coaches. That is like top 10 pay. For instance Patterson makes $4.75 Millions.

hoglady

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 08:24:46 pm
Like Petrino without the baggage. But his buyout is crazy.

$5 million right now / drops to $4 million after 12/5/17

Matt Burks

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 08:31:19 pm
If they are really thinking about shelling out $6.7mil for Gus, they can get pretty much 3/4 of all D1 coaches. That is like top 10 pay. For instance Patterson makes $4.75 Millions.
If they are willing to pay that much, go get Matt Campbell or Patterson.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: hoglady on November 19, 2017, 08:31:35 pm
$5 million right now / drops to $4 million after 12/5/17

I thought it was way a lot higher - go get him :)

kodiakisland

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 05:46:41 pm
Good post.  I hope Hogvillians will support Gus when he's announced.

As a Razorback, I'll support almost anyone who is hired, regardless of my personal feelings. About the only hire that could drive me away would be Briles.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 19, 2017, 08:10:56 pm
No way we get the occasional 10 or 11 win season with leach.  And we would not recruit as well as we are now which still is not very good.  You can win in the Pac 12 with less talent because most of the teams you play have similar talent.  Here most of the teams we play have more NFL talent than what Wazzu plays. 

You are acting as if the sec west has a lot of great coaches.  No there is one and then there is mullin at Mississippi State.  The sec West is Alabama and that is it. We are a 8 win team this year if we had a decent coach.

hoglady

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 08:34:05 pm
I thought it was way a lot higher - go get him :)

If they fire him  - they owe him a bundle.
His side is quite a bit less.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 19, 2017, 08:31:15 pm
I guess the Petrino years were mediocre?

I said nothing of the sort.  How in the world did you get that?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 19, 2017, 08:10:56 pm

Arkansas has had less talent than most of the conference during Petrinos time here and we were able to get a 10 and an 11 win season then.  Stop acting like Arkansas is a loser school. It isn't. Right coach can win here. Is leach the right coach? Maybe not, but to say he can't do it here because you feel like the pac 12 or even the big 12 are far less conferences than the ole mighty Alabama conference is a joke.  At least we know he has taken crap schools and turned them into decent teams in their conferences. 

The Boar War

Its hard for me to imagine a worse fit than Leach for Arkansas.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 19, 2017, 08:31:19 pm

Not buying the $6.7M thing.  Any big boy program can match anything we offer to any coach.  If Patterson wants more money, I bet there are a lot of programs more than willing to give it to him.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The Boar War on November 19, 2017, 08:41:03 pm
Its hard for me to imagine a worse fit than Leach for Arkansas.

My thoughts as well.

PigInTheHole

Leach is an offensive genius, it would be a good hire.
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

lumphog

Well. If you look at the FACTS & his track record, he's the BEST hire   Look at what he's done and where he's done it. Now, give him the resources here with his ties to TX and how he can do MORE with LESS and we have a winner. But you have to have common sense to see this 

PigInTheHole

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 19, 2017, 09:05:29 pm
Leach is an offensive genius, it would be a good great hire.

FTFY

agree build a great staff.

#MAFGA

FYI the James scandal has been widely debunked

Matt Burks

Quote from: lumphog on November 19, 2017, 09:09:35 pm
Well. If you look at the FACTS & his track record, he's the BEST hire   Look at what he's done and where he's done it. Now, give him the resources here with his ties to TX and how he can do MORE with LESS and we have a winner. But you have to have common sense to see this 
Well if you are talking about FACTS and track record, then Les is the best. I'm not advocating for Les, I'm just saying...

PigInTheHole

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 19, 2017, 09:17:58 pm
Well if you are talking about FACTS and track record, then Les is the best. I'm not advocating for Les, I'm just saying...

solid point, don't want him and he averaged ~ 10 wins

HiggiePiggy

Actually. No. He isn't.  He walked into an extremely talented team and was able to continue to get great talent.  Leach never had the talent that his opponents usually had and was able to put a decent team on the field.

It would be interesting to see how he would do here considering how he has done at other schools that were bottom feeders or close to it of the conferences they were in.

To me though I do not care who the coach is as long as they can win.

hoglady

Les couldn't win here like he did at LSU.
Squandered elite talent on offense side because he couldn't find a serviceable QB.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Leach has won pretty big in two different power 5 conferences, at two places where it's not necessarily easy to win.

Norvell has barely been a head coach long enough to get his own recruits on the field and he's winning at a mid major school that was already winning.

Between those two, Leach. For sure.

hawgball40

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 19, 2017, 09:24:09 pm
Actually. No. He isn't.  He walked into an extremely talented team and was able to continue to get great talent.  Leach never had the talent that his opponents usually had and was able to put a decent team on the field.

It would be interesting to see how he would do here considering how he has done at other schools that were bottom feeders or close to it of the conferences they were in.

To me though I do not care who the coach is as long as they can win.
leach takes fliers on alot of high risk players. thugs, grade issues, etc. he frequently has players arrested or in trouble for various issues. a part of it is the location, they say the town is a shithole.

PigInTheHole

if you can recruit to Pullman or Lubbock you can recruit to Fayetteville