Previous topic - Next topic

hogfanmd

A lot of moving parts....
1. The people for Arkansas with the checkbooks (7 figure plus) and those
With the ability to make decisions want Gus and rolling out the red carpet
2. Gus probably irritated that his job each year depends on beating Nick
Sabin on a regular basis.
3. Auburn beat Georgia and the price of poker just went up
4. Depending on the iron bowl Gus may be able to write his own terms at Auburn and stay put.   
We shall see

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

moses_007

Fake News unless Donald Trump tweeted it............

theFlyingHog

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on November 19, 2017, 12:25:35 pm
Report said they came to an agreement to part ways. He will still coach Friday's game. So now the school can start shopping for a coach a week early.
I'm betting we've been shopping for a while

JONAS

Regardless who is reporting it, I think we all know that Bret is gone after the Missouri game.

GlassofSwine

Would be an absolute disaster to hire a coach and give him the power to help hire the next AD. I don't care how much anyone likes Gus, that would be worse than Long setting Bielema's buyout so high.

JONAS

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 19, 2017, 01:07:21 pm
I'm betting we've been shopping for a while

I hope we get the guy in your profile pic.

jcbville

hogfanmd

Quote from: GlassofSwine on November 19, 2017, 01:11:39 pm
Would be an absolute disaster to hire a coach and give him the power to help hire the next AD. I don't care how much anyone likes Gus, that would be worse than Long setting Bielema's buyout so high.

So I'm guess Houston Nutt is out of running for AD since Gus helping pick

NuttinItUp

He's been gone for a few weeks now.

Piggie

Quote from: moses_007 on November 19, 2017, 01:07:13 pm
Fake News unless Donald Trump tweeted it............

Big league, believe me!
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

jgphillips3

moses_007

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 12:45:07 pm
Him helping choose the AD seems like a poor decision by the PTB...
He probably had such a bad AD situation with Jacobs that he wouldn't take our job without knowing we were hiring someone he could work with. 

Perhaps that's the real reason Jeff Long was fired?  Maybe Malzahn said he couldn't work with him? 

rusvegashog

Quote from: rhames on November 19, 2017, 12:22:27 pm
Twitter says a lot of things. Most of them not true.

I just tweeted I got a hand job from Megan Fox.
Sounds like a nice girl.

synthartist69

I am okay with GUS, he is a proven winner. I know a lot of folks here are not okay with it and I understand. But, I am concerned with who else we may end up with. If there is someone better I am all for it, but again, I think GUS has proven himself. If the argument is that it has been his coordinators who made him successful then give him credit for hiring those coordinators or keeping them on board. I never felt good about BB just because of his style of play, trying to use less talent to play the same style as Alabama and LSU. What really floors me is that the things that BB was expected to bring, such as a great offensive line and running game turned out to be horrible.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: BR on November 19, 2017, 12:44:58 pm
This is what is being posted:   Arkansas, Auburn, and Florida State
The Razorbacks will move on from head coach Bret Bielema after the season.

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is interested in returning home to take that position once it's open, though his status might depend on this week's Iron Bowl. He'd also have a hand in picking Arkansas' new AD.

Memphis coach Mike Norvell will also be a candidate for the Arkansas job, once it's open. Norvell is from the state and his two years recruiting for Memphis are considered a plus to boosters.

If Malzahn leaves, expect Auburn people to push for Florida State's Jimbo Fisher. If Fisher were to land at Auburn, he'd hope to retain at least current Tigers defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and associate head coach Rodney Garner.

If Fisher stays at FSU (Texas A&M and Tennessee are also interested), expect him to change at least half of his coaching staff.

Steele and Garner probably wouldn't be coming with Malzahn even if Fisher doesn't become Auburn's next Head Coach.

Malzahn probably won't win as many games without Steele and Garner. 

(notOM)Rebel123

You know what Mickey Mantle said about dating a girl with small hands....?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ipigsooie

So awesome that he gets a chance to hand pick his AD. I bet CMA and DVH love reading that! Hahaha.

onebadrubi

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 19, 2017, 12:56:32 pm
Giving a coach that much power is a recipe for disaster.

This!  People are so excited for change, but to let a new football coach name his AD, that is just disaster and dumb.  Talk about return of GOBN

jgphillips3

You have to figure with Long going down, if CBB has any functioning brain cells, he would go ahead and negotiate a face-saving, "golden handcuffs" exit.  If he wants another decent job, it's his best move.

LZH

jgphillips3

a0ashle

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 19, 2017, 01:46:27 pm
You have to figure with Long going down, if CBB has any functioning brain cells, he would go ahead and negotiate a face-saving, "golden handcuffs" exit.  If he wants another decent job, it's his best move.

This is nothing more than wishful thinking. He can't save face short of finding another job and UA waiving his part of buyout. Negotiating to lower his payday when fired, does nothing but cost him money.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 19, 2017, 01:35:56 pm
Steele and Garner probably wouldn't be coming with Malzahn even if Fisher doesn't become Auburn's next Head Coach.

He won the SEC without Steele.

JONAS

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 19, 2017, 01:39:54 pm
You know what Mickey Mantle said about dating a girl with small hands....?

Yep.  I don't know if he actually said that, but it was one of the best lines in 61.

toxichog

Not ideal........but what kind of coach would leave their current gig to go to Arkansas , having no idea who their boss was going to end up being?.................I mean, that would be about as Dumb as leaving Wisconsin and your perennial Rose Bowl trip for the fifth or sixth best program in the SEC West.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 19, 2017, 01:52:23 pm
He won the SEC without Steele.

It took a flukey play against Alabama to do it.

Malzahn's defense at Auburn without Steele has at times been garbage.  Just have to only look at that multiple overtime game in Fayetteville we won against Auburn season-before-last.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: JONAS on November 19, 2017, 01:55:56 pm
Yep.  I don't know if he actually said that, but it was one of the best lines in 61.

True.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

brenthog

Sources: The Other Thread in MMQ from the Atlanta Journal Constitution from SBNation.

Follow the tea leaves. 😉

Hog Milanese

Quote from: joeman on November 19, 2017, 12:21:00 pm
SB Nation and SEC Country reporting it now.

These are not actual sources.

jcbville

Quote from: MissippHog on November 19, 2017, 01:47:10 pm
;D ;D

I've gotten so much entertainment from the crazy Vol fans who think The Grude is coming lol. The fascination with Gruden is strange anyway.

brenthog

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

rljjr

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 19, 2017, 12:43:00 pm
Mentioned Gus linked to job and would have hand in helping pick AD

Though i think he stays at auburn
But anyway

Yes, and if that's true I'm furious. I don't care if Gus is the coach, but to have him dictate who he will work for is ridiculous. Coaches need to know their place in the pecking order. THAT rubs me the wrong way and I'm willing to bet it rubs the Chancellor the wrong way. Personally, I would put Norvell at the top of my list. I think he's hungrier with more to prove. However, if we steal Gus from Auburn and weaken their program (even if for only a year) in the process I'm happy.

elksnort

Hahaha. Wow, that would be fun!

Captain Hogthrob

I wish coach B and his beautiful family the very best in all their future endeavors. I think coach B is a good guy and I'll bet he feels the weight of the world lift off his shoulders when it's official. I'm sure that noone wanted to win more than him but he just never got a handle on how to do it here.

Now let's pick a winner and start getting excited about next season. Woo Pig Sooie!
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

PorkRinds

Quote from: Captain Hogthrob on November 19, 2017, 02:25:00 pm
I wish coach B and his beautiful family the very best in all their future endeavors. I think coach B is a good guy and I'll bet he feels the weight of the world lift off his shoulders when it's official. I'm sure that noone wanted to win more than him but he just never got a handle on how to do it here.

Now let's pick a winner and start getting excited about next season. Woo Pig Sooie!

Agreed.

John Snow

I saw on twitter that Adolf Hitler was coming out hiding in Argentina to be the next AD! Just kidding don't believe the fake news hacks from SB nation . They must work for CNN or MSNBC.

hobhog

I am hearing there will most likely be an official announcement tomorrow. B coaches Mizzou game then done with a negotiated buyout. Whatever that means.

hoglady

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 19, 2017, 12:56:32 pm
Giving a coach that much power is a recipe for disaster.

I totally agree.
We don't have to cave to that.
If that's what it takes to get Malzahn - move on to someone else.
There are other good coaches we can get.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 19, 2017, 02:11:06 pm
Stoops as AD??? WTH????

Well - I agree with this comment.

"If Gus has a hand in picking his boss then the GOBN really has lost their minds."
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: jcbville on November 19, 2017, 02:05:38 pm
I've gotten so much entertainment from the crazy Vol fans who think The Grude is coming lol. The fascination with Gruden is strange anyway.

Gruden may not be a good coach anymore but he would pull in a top 5 recruiting class for a year or two.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 12:45:07 pm
Him helping choose the AD seems like a poor decision by the PTB...

Considering hiring Gus is a 💩 decision.

ipigsooie

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 19, 2017, 02:11:06 pm
Stoops as AD??? WTH????

Come on man, obvious troll job. You dont think we would have heard that Bob stoops and gus malzahn were together at a greenwood football game before sunday?

Hawg Life

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 19, 2017, 01:35:56 pm

He won't win as much without top 10 recruiting classes either. No Gus.

Hawg Life

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 19, 2017, 01:45:41 pm

This!  People are so excited for change, but to let a new football coach name his AD, that is just disaster and dumb.  Talk about return of GOBN

If you think firing Nutt was hard it will be impossible to fire Gus. He'll be the 4th highest paid coach in college football if reports of $6.5 million are correct. This will not end well if he's hired, which I think is 0.0%.