Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Springtime in Fayetteville next fall.

Started by Michael D Huff AIA, November 20, 2017, 08:30:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael D Huff AIA

What message does a sellout send to the program at large?

I think it tells everyone involved - players, coaches, administration - that there is something worth seeing and the building you have constructed is not large enough to hold everyone that is willing to make the trip to said stadium.  It's probably the biggest compliment that can be given to the aforementioned three groups of people.

What message does attendance like Coastal Carolina on Homecoming or Mississippi State this weekend send to the program at large.

It's pretty much the opposite.  There are a few fans that are at DWRRS EVERY home game regardless of the opponent, weather or record, but when THOSE people are driven away by some aspect of the football program - lack of quality of play, administrative controversy, lack of quality opponent - it is easily noticed. 

To me, it's really not clear the exact moment that our football program lost the fans.  Was it the complete meltdown at the end of last season?  Was it the TCU game this year?  Was it more recent than that?  We might not necessarily know that exact date, but the administration can use the Coastal Carolina / Homecoming game as the game where the fans collectively said, "Enough is enough".  No planes pulling banners necessary.

But we are a resilient bunch, us Razorback fans.  I'll make this prediction:  after we make the forthcoming changes to AD and HC - whatever order they happen in is not relevant - and we go through a spring and summer, when we all reassemble in Fayetteville next fall for the home opener it will be a sellout.

The winter of our discontent will be over and it will be springtime in Fayetteville next fall.

NaturalStateReb

The game may technically sell out, but between no longer having a realistic shot at a bowl, the disappointment of the season, deer season, and Thanksgiving, I'd expect a small crowd.  Mild Saturday temps may help.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

SquidBilly

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 20, 2017, 08:33:07 am
The game may technically sell out, but between no longer having a realistic shot at a bowl, the disappointment of the season, deer season, and Thanksgiving, I'd expect a small crowd.  Mild Saturday temps may help.

I think he was talking about the 1st game of next season where hope will spring eternal after this five year trip into the ditch is over.

sigpooie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Michael D Huff AIA

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 20, 2017, 08:33:07 am

Next weekend may be the least attended game in Razorback history, deer season or no.

HogCzar1

rzrbaxfan