Hire Lane Kiffin - he has Arkansas Coaching Trees from more than one direction

Started by Rudy Baylor, November 18, 2017, 08:32:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jrulz83

Everybody judges Kiffin over the following things:

1) The Raiders

2) Leaving Tennessee

3) Getting fired at USC

As to number one, he was too immature to be a head coach and it's the Raiders. They've pretty much been a cluster since Madden. Kiffin didn't want JaMarcus Russell and Al Davis was ridiculous to work for. That was going to be a bad situation for just about anybody that stepped into it.

For number two, USC was his dream gig. Was it right to bail on Tennessee after a year? Well probably not, but if you had a chance to take a dream job at such a young age would you not take it?

For number three, he took the USC job with the belief that the sanctions wouldn't hit as hard as they did. He had that team finish at number six before the sanctions hit and everything went sideways.

Kiffin matured a lot while he worked for Saban. He evolved his thought processes and decision making as he has matured. He has totally rehabilitated his image with me. I hated the guy, never thought I'd be an apologist for him, but I've completely changed my mind about him. I think he's going to take a P5 team a long way in the relatively near future.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Großer Kriegschwein

Kiffin doesn't really have any Arkansas ties.

It's a reach to think otherwise.
This is my non-signature signature.

King Kong

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 20, 2017, 09:03:00 am

Other than living here for a couple of years as a small child.

But he does respect the job enough that he was willing to leave the Raiders to take it

stronguard

Kifeen would be a home run hire.  I dont think he'd leave if successful.  Of all the names mentioned, he's the most successful coach of the bunch.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 20, 2017, 09:03:00 am

I can take care of that. I will FedEx him this one:

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Citizen2729

Would be happy with Gus, Frost, or Kiffin. Would be less happy with Norvell but I would support.

HawgTide

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 20, 2017, 07:32:45 am
Everybody judges Kiffin over the following things:

1) The Raiders

2) Leaving Tennessee

3) Getting fired at USC

As to number one, he was too immature to be a head coach and it's the Raiders. They've pretty much been a cluster since Madden. Kiffin didn't want JaMarcus Russell and Al Davis was ridiculous to work for. That was going to be a bad situation for just about anybody that stepped into it.

For number two, USC was his dream gig. Was it right to bail on Tennessee after a year? Well probably not, but if you had a chance to take a dream job at such a young age would you not take it?

For number three, he took the USC job with the belief that the sanctions wouldn't hit as hard as they did. He had that team finish at number six before the sanctions hit and everything went sideways.

Kiffin matured a lot while he worked for Saban. He evolved his thought processes and decision making as he has matured. He has totally rehabilitated his image with me. I hated the guy, never thought I'd be an apologist for him, but I've completely changed my mind about him. I think he's going to take a P5 team a long way in the relatively near future.

So people are judging Kiffin on his head coaching jobs and how they ended?

Weird

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jrulz83

Quote from: HawgTide on November 20, 2017, 01:18:20 pm

So people are judging Kiffin on his head coaching jobs and how they ended?

Weird

No, they're judging those situations as a Kiffin failure in his job. That's not exactly true. He made three wrong decisions and stepped into two bad situations. I say it was because of a lack of maturity and foresight on his part and he has matured and evolved as a coach and human being.

That's all I'm saying about Kiffin. He's headed in the right direction.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

HawgTide

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 20, 2017, 02:34:59 pm

No, they're judging those situations as a Kiffin failure in his job. That's not exactly true. He made three wrong decisions and stepped into two bad situations. I say it was because of a lack of maturity and foresight on his part and he has matured and evolved as a coach and human being.

That's all I'm saying about Kiffin. He's headed in the right direction.

I see where you're coming from and agree Kiffin is headed in the right direction. Personally he's not in my top 7 but he is the type of high risk/high reward hire that might work here

TX HOG

TX HOG

Also, who was the last coach to leave Arkansas on their own for a better program?

People are concerned he may use us as a stopgap. My point is in the history of Arkansas football I can barely think of any that have left on their own. I'm 38 so I don't go back too far

Matt Burks

Sed76

Was flipping the channels and saw some guy on SEC Network make the comment Lane Kiffin is a good coach but tweets like a 13 year old girl and how embarrassing it is. Don't know if that's a pIle I'd want to step in after 5 years of blowhard Bielema.

TX HOG

Quote from: Sed76 on November 20, 2017, 04:20:05 pm
Was flipping the channels and saw some guy on SEC Network make the comment Lane Kiffin is a good coach but tweets like a 13 year old girl and how embarrassing it is. Don't know if that's a pIle I'd want to step in after 5 years of blowhard Bielema.

He's recently done this?

Hoggle

Kiffin = Jeff Long level screwup hire.  Saban couldn't wait to get rid of him and I bet after 2-3 years most on here would feel the same way. Please no!!!

King Kong

Kiffin is actually funny. Making fun of Saban's Rat poison comment is hysterical

King Kong

Quote from: Hoggle on November 20, 2017, 04:27:45 pm
Kiffin = Jeff Long level screwup hire. Please no!!!

Please. Home run. Lane Kiffin stands on the sideline and signals TDs before the ball is snapped. That's how good he is

stronguard

its like some people don't even WATCH football.  LK would be the absolute best hire we could hope for.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: TX HOG on November 20, 2017, 03:33:37 pm
Also, who was the last coach to leave Arkansas on their own for a better program?

People are concerned he may use us as a stopgap. My point is in the history of Arkansas football I can barely think of any that have left on their own. I'm 38 so I don't go back too far

correct

Holtz was fired for openly supporting Jesse Helms in a state held hostage by the Faubus machine. They blamed it on beer commercials or something.

Rudy Baylor

oh no! 

"some guy" doesn't like him

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: stronguard on November 20, 2017, 05:29:21 pm
its like some people don't even WATCH football.  LK would be the absolute best hire we could hope for.

correct

TrueBlue

I'd rather have him as our HC than play against him.

There is already a push from some Auburn boosters that if Gus leaves to come here, they want Lane to be their coach.

If that happens, we will regret the day that we didn't get him.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: TrueBlue on November 20, 2017, 05:38:47 pm
I'd rather have him as our HC than play against him.

There is already a push from some Auburn boosters that if Gus leaves to come here, they want Lane to be their coach.

If that happens, we will regret the day that we didn't get him.

that was seriously getting ready to be my next post - no darn

Auburn wants him badly

TrueBlue

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 20, 2017, 05:40:18 pm
that was seriously getting ready to be my next post - no darn

Auburn wants him badly

We are begging for Gus and doesn't seem we will consider Lane Kiffin and Auburn wants to push out Gus and get Lane. We are always a day late and a dollar short.

TX HOG

I'm just a 3rd grade teacher but IMO Lane is great young coach that can recruit and has a fire to win in the SEC.  Just kinda threw the SEC thing in there. But I bet he's got some people in the SEC he'd like to prove it to...!!

TheEnemy

Quote from: Hoggle on November 20, 2017, 04:27:45 pm
Kiffin = Jeff Long level screwup hire.  Saban couldn't wait to get rid of him and I bet after 2-3 years most on here would feel the same way. Please no!!!

You are crazy.  Lane gives us our best shot at rising to the top.

I will say it again....some P5 team is gonna hire him within  the next couple year...and he is gonna have a ton of success and make a lot of programs think.....what if.

TrueBlue

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 20, 2017, 06:17:27 pm
You are crazy.  Lane gives us our best shot at rising to the top.

I will say it again....some P5 team is gonna hire him within  the next couple year...and he is gonna have a ton of success and make a lot of programs think.....what if.

Agree. That is what I was saying earlier about Auburn wanting him. If Auburn starts kicking our butt with Lane and we have Gus, we will be saying a lot of "what ifs"....

ArkansasI

Kiffin is an interesting prospect. Could he trade oceans for lakes?  Is Arkansas a big enough opportunity to take after one year at his current gig?  Curious to know what is going on in his mind - refers to himself in the third person quite a bit. A different dude, but probably offers the highest trajectory.

King Kong

Quote from: ArkansasI on November 20, 2017, 07:08:31 pm
Kiffin is an interesting prospect. Could he trade oceans for lakes?  Is Arkansas a big enough opportunity to take after one year at his current gig?  Curious to know what is going on in his mind - refers to himself in the third person quite a bit. A different dude, but probably offers the highest trajectory.

He tried to leave the Raiders for Arkansas in 2007. It's safe to assume he thinks it's a big enough gig

ArkansasI

Quote from: King Kong on November 20, 2017, 07:12:25 pm
He tried to leave the Raiders for Arkansas in 2007. It's safe to assume he thinks it's a big enough gig
Totally different time in his life. He was trying to escape Davis in 2007. These days he's trying to determine where to establish a legacy.

Lane has a raging ego. We are lucky that people like Jerry Jones and the Arkansas GOBN have egos to rival his...  Men like these are Arkansas's best chance to compete.

I hope they make the right choice. What I'm reading here makes me wonder if they're targeting the right egomaniac.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: King Kong on November 19, 2017, 11:46:36 pm
Well. Norm was never the HC of a team finish in the top 6 or turn around an FAU program in year one.

Kiffin has done both before 43
these people are idiots. Lane is way better than Norm friggin Chow.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TN HOG

Hog coach wish list; Kiffin gets my #1 vote.  Energy and high octane offense.  SEC experience and Saban coaching tree.  I like Venables and Norvell as two and three.  Petrino trumps all.
Play like a Champion!

TheEnemy

Quote from: ArkansasI on November 20, 2017, 07:40:07 pm
Totally different time in his life. He was trying to escape Davis in 2007. These days he's trying to determine where to establish a legacy.

Lane has a raging ego. We are lucky that people like Jerry Jones and the Arkansas GOBN have egos to rival his...  Men like these are Arkansas's best chance to compete.

I hope they make the right choice. What I'm reading here makes me wonder if they're targeting the right egomaniac.

I think the ego helps us.

Razorbacks being the only sports franchise in the state.....he doesn't have to share any spotlight

ArkansasI

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 21, 2017, 07:49:00 am
I think the ego helps us.

Razorbacks being the only sports franchise in the state.....he doesn't have to share any spotlight
Still, we are a tiny state.  The Dallas metro area is roughly 2.5 times the size of Arkansas.  Think about that...  The Longhorns should be killing everyone.

This is not a "poor is me" comment.  This is a statement about "who we are".  The great thing about being a Razorback is our belief that we can compete with anyone - because we have.  Our AD is out of a job, and our HC soon will be because we aren't.

Uncle Remus

I never thought I would say this, but our Stone Age offense could definitely use a bump that I think he could provide.  I truly hope he has grown up, but after a few years under Saban's thumbnail...I think he probably came out of that situation a better man than he was.  Besides, we don't have the Cryptkeeper(Al Davis...RIP) as the AD so we should be fine.

davril98

The more I think about kiffin the more it makes sense. And dollars. He's making 1 million this year. The high profile openings aren't going after him. Not tenner , not Florida , doesn't seem like an a and m guy. Doesn't seem like UCLA would want him.

TrueBlue

Quote from: davril98 on November 21, 2017, 05:41:24 pm
The more I think about kiffin the more it makes sense. And dollars. He's making 1 million this year. The high profile openings aren't going after him. Not tenner , not Florida , doesn't seem like an a and m guy. Doesn't seem like UCLA would want him.

Actually Auburn would want him if Gus bolts or so their boosters are saying.

Also, UCLA would want him to "get back" at USC.

He needs to be on the Hill though. We need his swagger.

Razoryak

Lane is our only chance at a "big splash" kind of hire ... As someone said earlier in the thread, recruiting will go to new heights and the spotlight would firmly be on the hill. And twitter game would go next level around here LOL ...
Woo Pig

TX HOG

Quote from: Razoryak on November 21, 2017, 08:22:31 pm
Lane is our only chance at a "big splash" kind of hire ... As someone said earlier in the thread, recruiting will go to new heights and the spotlight would firmly be on the hill. And twitter game would go next level around here LOL ...

If we are wanting those things, I agree. Sounds fun and he's a good coach. Ok in

B Ray

Sivad

moses_007

No way we need Kiffin.  Still unproven if you ask me.  Never been a successful coach of a P5 school.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: moses_007 on November 22, 2017, 03:24:59 am
No way we need Kiffin.  Still unproven if you ask me.  Never been a successful coach of a P5 school.

He's got 9 less wins than Gus at the P5 level...1 less year of coaching in P5 ..but one more year in the NFL...

He coached at UT and had a winning record after the Dooley fiasco .. 3 years at USC, all winning teams that were restricted badly by scholarships and penalties.. matter of fact has never had a losing record.

Gus' best team was with someone else's recruits.. he won 8, 7, 8 games the following years... those are CBB numbers and we are firing him...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 22, 2017, 05:56:26 am
He's got 9 less wins than Gus at the P5 level...1 less year of coaching in P5 ..but one more year in the NFL...

He coached at UT and had a winning record after the Dooley fiasco .. 3 years at USC, all winning teams that were restricted badly by scholarships and penalties.. matter of fact has never had a losing record.

Gus' best team was with someone else's recruits.. he won 8, 7, 8 games the following years... those are CBB numbers and we are firing him...

Kiffin was fired from the Raiders job. Spent one year at Tennessee where he violated SEC rules by calling out Florida for cheating in recruiting in a live press conference. If that wasn't enough, he told WR Alshon Jeffrey that if he signed with S. Carolina that he would end up pumping gas for the rest of his life like all the other players from S. Carolina who signed with that school. As you may recall, Jeffrey ended up being drafted and going to the 2014 Pro Bowl. Kiffin started out well at USC and then imploded being fired 2 games into the 2013 season where he had gone 4-7 in his last 11 games. I thought that the way that Pat Haden fired him was wrong.

I don't care for Kiffin. People do change. Has he changed? He says that he has, but who knows. I feel confident that if we got him he would be here for a couple of years, maybe 3, until he found something better. That just isn't something that we need at Arkansas. Another turnover in staff after just two to three years would be the last thing that we need.
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 22, 2017, 05:56:26 am

Well he is in year 5 with his player has won 9 with atleast 2 left to go. But I guess that doesn't fit the narrative.

And Bret is getting fired for a 4-7 possibility 4-8 season. Also had a 3-9 season.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: King Kong on November 22, 2017, 07:05:26 am
Well he is in year 5 with his player has won 9 with atleast 2 left to go. But I guess that doesn't fit the narrative.

And Bret is getting fired for a 4-7 possibility 4-8 season. Also had a 3-9 season.

What part of my narrative was inaccurate?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 22, 2017, 07:00:06 am
Kiffin was fired from the Raiders job. Spent one year at Tennessee where he violated SEC rules by calling out Florida for cheating in recruiting in a live press conference. If that wasn't enough, he told WR Alshon Jeffrey that if he signed with S. Carolina that he would end up pumping gas for the rest of his life like all the other players from S. Carolina who signed with that school. As you may recall, Jeffrey ended up being drafted and going to the 2014 Pro Bowl. Kiffin started out well at USC and then imploded being fired 2 games into the 2013 season where he had gone 4-7 in his last 11 games. I thought that the way that Pat Haden fired him was wrong.

I don't care for Kiffin. People do change. Has he changed? He says that he has, but who knows. I feel confident that if we got him he would be here for a couple of years, maybe 3, until he found something better. That just isn't something that we need at Arkansas. Another turnover in staff after just two to three years would be the last thing that we need.

When have we ever been a stepping stone for a coach?  Buyouts?  Actually, it would be nice to have a coach that someone wanted because we are winning...

Urban Liar is a cheater.. bad form, good message..

The things about his character, I don't dispute but he was really young.... And we are comparing to St. Gus? 
Picking a 4-7 stretch for a school on deep probation is probably not hard find.. I bet even Gus has had a stretch like that with out probation...

Finally,  that something better you mention that he will bolt for... who are some of those names?  He'll probably have some of those offers this year.. to get him, we'll have to be picked by him, because he is going to have several offers...IMO, of course.

TrueBlue

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 22, 2017, 07:00:06 am

You left out the part that he took over a dumpster fire at USC where everyone's golden boy Pete Carroll had USC knee deep in NCAA violations with the Reggie Bush Scandal and had lost scholarships and had multiple rule infractions.

And calling out Florida for cheating at a press conference? I love it! - Because they were. I want a HC with some major cojones - not someone that cries at every press conference.