Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Navy

Started by Cambridge Hog, November 18, 2017, 04:53:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambridge Hog

Anyone watching this game? I think their offense is really fun and they are giving ND fits. Navy coach is excellent and would be interesting to see what he could accomplish with better talent.

hogcam

Bottom line is he would recruit about the same here as navy does if you ran that type of offense.

Matt Burks

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on November 18, 2017, 04:53:50 pm
Anyone watching this game? I think their offense is really fun and they are giving ND fits. Navy coach is excellent and would be interesting to see what he could accomplish with better talent.
That win by Norvell's Memphis team over Navy looks even more impressive today.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on November 18, 2017, 04:53:50 pm

See Georgia tech. That's their offense with more talent.

Paul

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 18, 2017, 05:33:23 pm
See Georgia tech. That's their offense with more talent.
the Navy coach learned it from Paul Johnson the GT ciavh

clutch

To run that offense, you have to recruit extremely disciplined players. That's why the service academies excel at it. It'd be harder to run with our typical recruits.

The_Iceman

Would not work in the SEC.

3kgthog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2017, 10:57:53 am
Would not work in the SEC.

It would if we could play against our defense every week.

The Hawg Marshal

I'd hate to see it.

SooieGeneris

Do you not remember the Ken Hatfield era? Been there, done that. The vast majority of the fans HATED it.

Hatfield didn't exactly light it up vs SEC teams in non conference and Bowl games, either.

Just say no to the freaking wishbone!!!
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

oldhawg

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 19, 2017, 12:07:29 pm
Do you not remember the Ken Hatfield era? Been there, done that. The vast majority of the fans HATED it.

Hatfield didn't exactly light it up vs SEC teams in non conference and Bowl games, either.

Just say no to the freaking wishbone!!!

Yes.  After all, Hatfield was only 55-17-1 as coach of the Razorbacks.  Who really knows what shape that Razorback football would be in today if Hatfield (who had the best win percentage of any coach in Razorback history) had been around to see the transition into the SEC.  I have never understood why Arkansas fans (and coach Broyles) were so unhappy with a man who had three 10 win seasons and two nine win seasons in six years simply because they did not like his style of play.  Folks were really critical of his coaching in that last play of the game loss to Texas, but I wonder how they feel about the shellacking by Alabama and Auburn practically every year now, and the five years straight of losing to Texas A&M.     

Wmhog

Hatfield was a great coach in the regular season but when teams had extra time to prepare (bowl games) it was not Good.  Back to back shut outs in bowl games was his undoing.  With that being said, wish he had not left on his own accord.  He wasn't fried.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Wmhog on November 20, 2017, 06:15:30 pm
Hatfield was a great coach in the regular season but when teams had extra time to prepare (bowl games) it was not Good.  Back to back shut outs in bowl games was his undoing.  With that being said, wish he had not left on his own accord.  He wasn't fried.

Wasn't fried?

He did look stoned a few times.  ;)

Nipsey Mussle

Good or bad, I don't see how we hire someone who runs the triple option, or anything close to it. Just as it was necessary for many Hog fans to run a fun style after we fired Heath, it's just as important that we step into 2017 with our offense to many Hog fans right now.

clutch

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on November 20, 2017, 07:24:11 pm
Good or bad, I don't see how we hire someone who runs the triple option, or anything close to it. Just as it was necessary for many Hog fans to run a fun style after we fired Heath, it's just as important that we step into 2017 with our offense to many Hog fans right now.

Well, in all fairness, a lot of the spread schemes you see now came from the Triple Option. Scott Frosts scheme came from there, a lot of Norvell's scheme came from there as well. Pretty much any RPO scheme can trace its roots back to the Triple Option. It just looks a whole lot different now.

I agree we won't hire someone who runs the traditional Triple Option, but we will hire someone who runs something that is close to it. Most just don't recognize how closely related they are.