Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some new info....

Started by porkrindjimmy, November 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: dmaxfan on November 18, 2017, 10:02:38 pm
You misunderstood. Didn't mean kiffin had anything to do with them. What I mean is our program is in trouble and has been since John L Smith. It's stalled and we don't want to kill it and be as bad of a program as smu was after the death sentence. I don't want to put a preverbial bullet in our program by hiring kiffin and him leaving after a year and find out a great coach like venables or Norvell were interested but took other jobs.

you're still making no sense

out of the blue, you cherry pick "Kiffin leaving after one year" and you then throw all your marbles at Norvell, who does not know yet how to hire a good coaching staff - another cherry pick

It's possible that Venables is actually scared to be a head coach. He's 46 and he's been the "golden child" for a decade now. And yet he remains an assistant

Hawg Life

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 18, 2017, 10:26:21 pm

out of the blue, you cherry pick "Kiffin leaving after one year" and you then throw all your marbles at Norvell, who does not know yet how to hire a good coaching staff - another cherry pick

It's possible that Venables is actually scared to be a head coach. He's 46 and he's been the "golden child" for a decade now. And yet he remains an assistant

Norvell has been a college football coach for 11 years. He's only been a HC for 2 years, but I'm sure how to hire a good coaching staff.

Calvin Swine

Gus isn't specifically playing Arkansas, he's playing the system.  He's playing the game of, "school X wants me badly, what are you willing to pay me to stay?"  I don't blame him as there will come a day he'll be fired and all the money he's rat holed will be what he lives out his life and supports his family with.  We just need to be smart enough to realize it, keep this hope on a short leash, and give him a reasonably short timeline for a yes or no and then move on.  It's business not personal.

Frankly, I'd be focusing my efforts on Norvell, as you don't have the headaches of playing the longshot.

Granny fan

Quote from: davril98 on November 17, 2017, 05:44:22 pm
I think it's going to be like the Bielema hire and be somebody no one is even talking about.

This is what I've been saying all along.

hobhog

Quote from: Calvin Swine on November 19, 2017, 12:02:06 am
Gus isn't specifically playing Arkansas, he's playing the system.  He's playing the game of, "school X wants me badly, what are you willing to pay me to stay?"  I don't blame him as there will come a day he'll be fired and all the money he's rat holed will be what he lives out his life and supports his family with.  We just need to be smart enough to realize it, keep this hope on a short leash, and give him a reasonably short timeline for a yes or no and then move on.  It's business not personal.

Frankly, I'd be focusing my efforts on Norvell, as you don't have the headaches of playing the longshot.

As far as anybody knows, Gus hasn't said a word. Everything is message board conjecture taken as fact.

Piggie

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 18, 2017, 09:17:31 pm
That's my number one concern with Norvell.

If I recall, Nutt brought most of his staff from Boise State when he came. At that time Boise was not near as good as Memphis is now, and we were a fumble away from possibly playing for the national championship his first year. Just because they are no names doesn't necessarily mean they are poor coaches.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

ipigsooie

Quote from: Granny fan on November 19, 2017, 10:18:55 pm

This is what I've been saying all along.

I might be inclined to agree but long is out and it seems there is a strong sentiment to get an Arkansas guy in here. But if we are guessing random names that are drawing straws out of a hat, I'll take Gary Patterson.  Nobody thinks he is in play and I'll guess that maybe he wants one shot at the sec. Ultimately my real guess is Norvell but just taking a shot in the dark.

Piggie

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 18, 2017, 09:17:31 pm
That's my number one concern with Norvell.

Whoops, I posted the wrong thing above. This makes more sense with what I said. And how do you delete when you make a mistake, or can you?
If I recall, Nutt brought most of his staff from Boise State when he came. At that time Boise was not near as good as Memphis is now, and we were a fumble away from possibly playing for the national championship his first year. Just because they are no names doesn't necessarily mean they are poor coaches.

Piggie

Dang it! The whole copied comment isn't making it for some reason. I was responding to a comment that Norvell's staff was only Sunbelt caliber.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Piggie on November 19, 2017, 10:28:39 pm
Whoops, I posted the wrong thing above. This makes more sense with what I said. And how do you delete when you make a mistake, or can you?

And that was the best year Nutt had at Arkansas. He slowly declined from 10-2 in 98 to losing records in 04 and 05, thus the drama around the recruitment of Mustain in 06. It was to save his job. Keith Burns was forced on him and was the best DC we had in the Nutt era. The core of his staff was not SEC quality.

southeasthog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 20, 2017, 05:08:05 am
And that was the best year Nutt had at Arkansas. He slowly declined from 10-2 in 98 to losing records in 04 and 05, thus the drama around the recruitment of Mustain in 06. It was to save his job. Keith Burns was forced on him and was the best DC we had in the Nutt era. The core of his staff was not SEC quality.
9-3 in 1998.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

MountieDawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm
I happen to work for the father of Auburn's director of recruiting....

Talked to that said person today. Said that Gus isn't coming here...in no certain terms.

My Arkansas people tell me different.  So...Gus is misleading one side....

Sours me on Gus. Just move on to Norvell....not Skip Holtz.

PRJ

If you are considering leaving you don't tell your current staff and players while you are working on a NC!!!  Would you not have wanted Saban when he said he wasn't leaving the dolphins.
SEC!

riccoar

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 20, 2017, 05:35:16 am
If you are considering leaving you don't tell your current staff and players while you are working on a NC!!!  Would you not have wanted Saban when he said he wasn't leaving the dolphins.
Ditto.  Regardless of who's coming, they would never tell someone who will still be there when they leave OR would run back and tell the right folks whats happening behind the scenes.  That's career suicide.

dmaxfan

My top choice isn't Novell but it's better than  kiffin and what I said makes perfect sense if you look at kiffins history
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

AugustaHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 17, 2017, 05:11:35 pm
Skip would win less than Bret here.

Gus needs to say yes or no by Next Sunday morning, win or lose.

If it is no, Norvell, Norvell, Norvell...

PRJ
Skip Holtz would be like pouring grease on our currently burning dumpster fire.  Dear Lord let it not get that far!  We surely have enough $$$ and cache to get somebody better than Skip Holtz.  He has been decent at ECU and LT, but was really bad at USF.  That's a place that has proven to be fruitful for a decent coach.  Leavitt, Taggart, and now Charlie Strong have had some nice success there.  I truly hope the worst we do is Norvell.  If it gets past his name, I'm concerned we'll botch it.

Großer Kriegschwein

You don't trade up Bret for Skip.

Nobody is that stupid.
This is my non-signature signature.

JOKERHOG

My guess is gus is a smokescreen and Leach agreed a long time ago  to be our next coach.  Just a gut feeling...
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 20, 2017, 08:54:13 am
You don't trade up Bret for Skip.

Nobody is that stupid.

That's not the first hire a new AD wants to be tagged with. I wouldn't be surprised if Skip has reached out to some Holtz-era players, which may include our new AD if it's Scanlon, but there's no way he gets serious consideration.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 20, 2017, 08:58:19 am
My guess is gus is a smokescreen and Leach agreed a long time ago  to be our next coach.  Just a gut feeling...

smokescreen or just getting a raise Nutt style;  I got a feeling too, a hopeful one
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

Smallie Bigs

Around 12-13 years ago my wife & I was apart of a small church in Fayetteville. It was a branch of a big church in Russellville, AR where my father in law was the head/founding  pastor. A coach currently at NC State who coached under Gus at different schools & his fiance(wife now) at the time were apart of the 20 or so members that started it w/ us. My father in law is still a mentor to him and they speak about once or twice a month. The coaches wife is still close friends w/ Mrs. Malzahn. Both of them told my Father in law that Mrs. Malzahn is set on returning to Arkansas if possible. They would be shocked if he was offered and didn't take it. Take this for what it's worth. I have no big source but my father in law is a good, honest man who told me this yesterday. I'm not saying he is coming but there is interest on his side. Go Hogs!
Watchdog defending all things Razorback.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Smallie Bigs on November 20, 2017, 09:49:39 am
Around 12-13 years ago my wife & I was apart of a small church in Fayetteville. It was a branch of a big church in Russellville, AR where my father in law was the head/founding  pastor. A coach currently at NC State who coached under Gus at different schools & his fiance(wife now) at the time were apart of the 20 or so members that started it w/ us. My father in law is still a mentor to him and they speak about once or twice a month. The coaches wife is still close friends w/ Mrs. Malzahn. Both of them told my Father in law that Mrs. Malzahn is set on returning to Arkansas if possible. They would be shocked if he was offered and didn't take it. Take this for what it's worth. I have no big source but my father in law is a good, honest man who told me this yesterday. I'm not saying he is coming but there is interest on his side. Go Hogs!

This makes more sense than 99% of the posts on this board right now. I don't know why it's so hard for people to believe that Gus and his wife would rather live in NWA, than where they currently do.

This is why it's so foolish (imo) to think it hinges on the outcome of one game, or two games, if he wants to come home the powers that be can work around ANY possible scenario that could play out, as far as bowl games, playoffs, or whatever happens.

The early signing period is OPTIONAL, that means nobody has to sign then, they can still wait an sign in Feb just like every other year.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 17, 2017, 05:12:18 pm
Be pretty funny if we fired long and bielema and end up with gobn and skip holtz.

The entertainment value here would be off the charts
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 20, 2017, 08:58:19 am
I really hope you are wrong. Leach would not feel like an upgrade over BB.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 20, 2017, 11:33:30 am
The entertainment value here would be off the charts

Without a doubt.

Every weekend would be like a Stephen Wright/George Carlin comedy standup, but with hillbillies.
This is my non-signature signature.

HawgTide

I wouldn't have any problem if we hired Venables but you are wrong about a couple of things. He hasn't been a golden child for a decade - he was basically run out of Oklahoma in 2012. He is also totally unproven as a head coach. Not 2 years experience. Not 1 year. 0.   

Is he a better choice as a 46 year old career assistant than a second year head coach like Frost, Norvell or Brown? Only time will tell

stronguard

Ill be disappointed if we hire an also ran like Leach.  Just dont get the infatuation.

Norvell would mean well be in the same boat we are now in 5 years, looking for a successful head coach.

Frost...meh, he'd be here til Nebraska came calling yr 3, and we seem to prey on each others coaches (Ark and Neb)

Gus..... I guess so, but half the fans hate hime, the other half find no wrong, another Nutt situation.

Kiffin..... perfect fit, dad coached here, upwardly limited due to past, great recruiter, hungry to take Bama down a notch, would OWN Orgeron.  Looks enough like Daniel Tosh that we would get some free press on Tosh.0. 

WE WANT Kiffin
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

jgphillips3

I personally believe that Gus did reach out to us when his job was in jeopardy (after LSU).  That makes a lot of sense.  He does have lots of friends in NWA and probably on the BOT also.  Then, he turned his season around and grew less and less in need of a place to land, but still in need of leverage.  My hope is that the Gus flirtation is over or almost over and we go get Norvell, Campbell, Frost or Morris.

dmaxfan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 20, 2017, 06:07:17 pm
I personally believe that Gus did reach out to us when his job was in jeopardy (after LSU).  That makes a lot of sense.  He does have lots of friends in NWA and probably on the BOT also.  Then, he turned his season around and grew less and less in need of a place to land, but still in need of leverage.  My hope is that the Gus flirtation is over or almost over and we go get Norvell, Campbell, Frost or Morris.
Agreed
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Hawg Life

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 20, 2017, 06:07:17 pm

Probably, you can't bet half this board will say he turned us down when it reality he wasn't offered the job.

Uncle Remus

I've talked to two different hog boosters that are as involved and supportive as anyone out there, and both have suggested that we give Skip a chance.  I am not for this myself, but I can say that there are those out there that may be in the GOBN that wouldn't mind giving Holtz a look.  Personally, their arguments to me that he has competed everywhere he has been fell on deaf ears due to the conferences he has played in.  Besides, I don't want someone who has competed with the big dogs at their smaller school...if we are going to go that route, I want someone who has knocked them off!

Calvin Swine

Quote from: Uncle Remus on November 21, 2017, 03:54:40 pm
I've talked to two different hog boosters that are as involved and supportive as anyone out there, and both have suggested that we give Skip a chance.  I am not for this myself, but I can say that there are those out there that may be in the GOBN that wouldn't mind giving Holtz a look.  Personally, their arguments to me that he has competed everywhere he has been fell on deaf ears due to the conferences he has played in.  Besides, I don't want someone who has competed with the big dogs at their smaller school...if we are going to go that route, I want someone who has knocked them off!

I sincerely hope Skip isn't on the shortlist.  In my opinion he would energize the fan base like cold toast.

HF#1

Skip would make me box up all my hog gear and become a casual football fan.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

d3maybe

Venables might be scared to be a head coach but if true why would he have interviewed for the Arkansas job in 2012? Maybe he is just picky and loyal... I know that would blow peoples minds these days.

ur

BP before skip

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Piggie on November 17, 2017, 05:04:29 pm
He told ASU he would be there up till the last second, and then packed his bags.
Who wouldn't?

GuvHog

Quote from: ur on November 21, 2017, 04:32:22 pm
BP before skip

I 100% agree. If they can't get Venables or Norvell, they should just bring BP back and move on.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

razorbackfaninar

They can't hire Skip Holtz because the fan base is already in revolt.  They are going to have to get a somewhat flashy hire to get everyone back on board.  If they hire Skip Holtz he better come out of the gate 9-0 or the majority of the fans will abandon the program and may never come back.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: stronguard on November 20, 2017, 05:19:14 pm
Ill be disappointed if we hire an also ran like Leach.  Just dont get the infatuation.

Norvell would mean well be in the same boat we are now in 5 years, looking for a successful head coach.

Frost...meh, he'd be here til Nebraska came calling yr 3, and we seem to prey on each others coaches (Ark and Neb)

Gus..... I guess so, but half the fans hate hime, the other half find no wrong, another Nutt situation.

Kiffin..... perfect fit, dad coached here, upwardly limited due to past, great recruiter, hungry to take Bama down a notch, would OWN Orgeron.  Looks enough like Daniel Tosh that we would get some free press on Tosh.0. 

WE WANT Kiffin

Well you are making assumptions about Norvell that may or may not be true, and if you think Frost is gonna bolt at year three what do you think Kiffin will do?

duckman

I would rather keep BB for another year than hire Skip...

HoopS

Skip is actually very solid. Boring for us. But solid.

Wooderson

Quote from: HoopS on November 21, 2017, 06:27:32 pm

We have to pay for a 140 million dollar expansion.  The last thing we need is boring. 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 18, 2017, 11:34:27 pm
Norvell has been a college football coach for 11 years. He's only been a HC for 2 years, but I'm sure how to hire a good coaching staff.

Bielema had been a HC for 7 years and he didn't

Hawg Life

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 21, 2017, 06:30:05 pm

On paper Bielema was a good hire, but his coaching philosophy just didn't work, and as soon as, Pittman left so did our O Line. Norvell's system would work here, and with the right DC would most likely be extremely successful. In my opinion, Gus has had top 10 recruiting classes every year, and that's not going to happen here. Norvell has done more with less. Gus has overal done less with more. He still hasn't recruited and developed a QB. Cam was bought and paid for transfer.

online-with-swine

Tell your booster friends that if they pull Skip, they will have essentially killed the school.  Nobody is going to get excited and buy up season tix for that dung.

ipigsooie

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 21, 2017, 06:30:05 pm

Bielema can hire a good staff. He just can't keep them. Matt Canada, Paul chryst, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman, etc. These are all good coaches

grayhawg

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 07:53:09 pm
Bielema can hire a good staff. He just can't keep them. Matt Canada, Paul chryst, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman, etc. These are all good coaches
He could hire a good staff, but those days are gone forever now all he can hire are guys who were assisting nfl assistants.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: HoopS on November 21, 2017, 06:27:32 pm

I give up if we end up with Skip

King Kong

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 07:53:09 pm

First. Paul Chryst was OC when he got the Wisconsin job. Second Hargreaves, Segrest, KA Chaney and Scott were terrible hires.

Kneph13

Some new info:  It won't be Gus, and if it is, I'm finished with the Hogs.
There is no Political Correctness in war