Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some new info....

Started by porkrindjimmy, November 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 23, 2017, 08:52:19 pm
Gus (as a HC) has had top ten classes at Auburn and he hasn't done a lot with those. If you can't get it done with top 10 classes, how are you going to get it done with lower ranked classes in the same division? We aren't going to suddenly jump up into the top ten in recruiting if he comes here. He may win 1 or 2 more than we did in 2014, 2015 and 2016, but that doesn't put us in contention for the West.

Another factor is that for at least part of the fan base, he has a negative history here that goes back to his departure from the program when Nutt was in charge and the kids he left behind in doing so. I won't get into that because this shouldn't turn into a discussion of something that happened 10 years ago, but there are still negative feelings about that and it will come back to the fore front of discussions the first time he stubs his toe here as a HC.

Norvell is probably a really good coach, but with just under two years at the helm of a G-5 program and given that he is still benefiting from the groundwork laid by Fuentes, I think he needs to prove that he can sustain a program before he merits consideration for a P-5 job and especially one in the SEC. Now he might work out just fine, but the possibility certainly exists that an SEC HC'ing job might be a tad too much, too soon.

I guess any HC that you hire is at least a bit of gamble, but why take bigger gambles than you have to take just because you are unhappy with what Bielema has produced?

Gus hasn't "done more with less" at Auburn. Norvell has certainly done more with less at Memphis, but the majority of his schedule is still G-5 schools, not the SEC grind.

I'd just rather see us go after and throw the bank at a guy who has proven over time that he has won more, with less talent at his disposal. I think that is a key factor for Arkansas to be successful. There are a lot of things that I would like to see in the new HC from an offensive and defensive standpoint, but the first thing is consistently overachieving at the P-5 level with what he has to work with in terms of talent. JMO

Go look at who Malzahn has lost to since he took over. I posted it here recently. Something like 4 unranked teams. Three of those were on the road. Most losses have been to Top 10 teams.

Compare Arkansas 2006 to 2007. Compare Tulsa 2006 to 2007 and 2008. Compare Auburn with Malzahn as OC and without him.

Malzahn has been to one NC as a head coach and has an inside track to the playoffs this year.

When Malzahn took over at Auburn, Arkansas and Auburn were even at 10-10-1 in SEC games. Auburn is not head and shoulders above Arkansas, but they are 4-1 aganst us with Malzahn.

What in the world does this guy have to do before smart football guys like you give him credit?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

East Clintwood

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 23, 2017, 09:10:13 pm
Go look at who Malzahn has lost to since he took over. I posted it here recently. Something like 4 unranked teams. Three of those were on the road. Most losses have been to Top 10 teams.

Compare Arkansas 2006 to 2007. Compare Tulsa 2006 to 2007 and 2008. Compare Auburn with Malzahn as OC and without him.

Malzahn has been to one NC as a head coach and has an inside track to the playoffs this year.

When Malzahn took over at Auburn, Arkansas and Auburn were even at 10-10-1 in SEC games. Auburn is not head and shoulders above Arkansas, but they are 4-1 aganst us with Malzahn.

What in the world does this guy have to do before smart football guys like you give him credit?

That also means they're 4-1 against Bert, who holds the worst 5 year coaching record in Arkansas's history. 

Now, you say that's because Gus is good --- I say that's because Bert sucks.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

soso

More board of trustee leaks. Cliff Gibson a Monticello lawyer and BOT member told family members at a recent function it was going to be Gus. Who knows?

bphi11ips

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 23, 2017, 09:19:12 pm
That also means they're 4-1 against Bert, who holds the worst 5 year coaching record in Arkansas's history. 

Now, you say that's because Gus is good --- I say that's because Bert sucks.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

The point is that one of the new excuses is that if Malzahn can only win 7 or 8 a year at Auburn (he's actually averaging 9 and still playing) he will win fewer at Arkansas. The problem is the 10-10-1 head to head before he got there. I haven't seen anyone address that. I couldn't care less about recruiting rankings. Arkansas is neck and neck with Auburn in all respects except head coaches.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HoopS

Auburn has been the second most successful program in the SEC in wins in recent years. I keep seeing that he isn't getting it done. Ok. He didn't supplant Nick. Auburn consistently plays a hard schedule with Georgia as their east rival and has been playing Clemson in OOC. They also tend to get the better bowl games meaning tougher opponents. All in all, that program has done pretty darn well under him. Been in the championship game. Playing to do that again soon. I mean come on.

In his 10 year coaching career, he already has more hardware than we've accomplished in our history with one undisputed title and another runner up trophy. And he isn't getting it done?

We usually are too blind to see the obvious. Seems like some are trying their best to make that happen again. And you probably will succeed because Arkansas. Crap like this always happens to us.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoopS on November 23, 2017, 10:09:27 pm
Auburn has been the second most successful program in the SEC in wins in recent years. I keep seeing that he isn't getting it done. Ok. He didn't supplant Nick. Auburn consistently plays a hard schedule with Georgia as their east rival and has been playing Clemson in OOC. They also tend to get the better bowl games meaning tougher opponents. All in all, that program has done pretty darn well under him. Been in the championship game. Playing to do that again soon. I mean come on.

In his 10 year coaching career, he already has more hardware than we've accomplished in our history with one undisputed title and another runner up trophy. And he isn't getting it done?

We usually are too blind to see the obvious. Seems like some are trying their best to make that happen again. And you probably will succeed because Arkansas. Crap like this always happens to us.

Too many are being blinded by personal feelings.

HoopS

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 10:11:38 pm
I know.

I remember when some didn't want Mike Anderson here either.

Matt Burks

Gus (as a HC) has had top ten classes at Auburn and he hasn't done a lot with those. If you can't get it done with top 10 classes, how are you going to get it done with lower ranked classes in the same division? We aren't going to suddenly jump up into the top ten in recruiting if he comes here. He may win 1 or 2 more than we did in 2014, 2015 and 2016, but that doesn't put us in contention for the West.

Another factor is that for at least part of the fan base, he has a negative history here that goes back to his departure from the program when Nutt was in charge and the kids he left behind in doing so. I won't get into that because this shouldn't turn into a discussion of something that happened 10 years ago, but there are still negative feelings about that and it will come back to the fore front of discussions the first time he stubs his toe here as a HC.

Norvell is probably a really good coach, but with just under two years at the helm of a G-5 program and given that he is still benefiting from the groundwork laid by Fuentes, I think he needs to prove that he can sustain a program before he merits consideration for a P-5 job and especially one in the SEC. Now he might work out just fine, but the possibility certainly exists that an SEC HC'ing job might be a tad too much, too soon.

I guess any HC that you hire is at least a bit of gamble, but why take bigger gambles than you have to take just because you are unhappy with what Bielema has produced?

Gus hasn't "done more with less" at Auburn. Norvell has certainly done more with less at Memphis, but the majority of his schedule is still G-5 schools, not the SEC grind.

I'd just rather see us go after and throw the bank at a guy who has proven over time that he has won more, with less talent at his disposal. I think that is a key factor for Arkansas to be successful. There are a lot of things that I would like to see in the new HC from an offensive and defensive standpoint, but the first thing is consistently overachieving at the P-5 level with what he has to work with in terms of talent. JMO
Boy what if Florida had the same logic back in 2005 and decided that Urban Meyer didn't have enough experience? He only had 1 year at Bowling Green and 1 at Utah. No SEC experience and only 2 years total of head coaching experience.

hogfan1983

I seriously want to know why we would hire someone who can't even win with top 15 recruiting classes at Auburn? (Down year in the West is the reason he is doing so well) Continuity? Throw some cash at someone and win some games and the money from boosters will follow. #PRAYNOGUS

RazorPiggie

I just don't like the fact that in years 2-4 him and CBB are separated by 1 game.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hogfan1983 on November 23, 2017, 10:40:12 pm
I seriously want to know why we would hire someone who can't even win with top 15 recruiting classes at Auburn? (Down year in the West is the reason he is doing so well) Continuity? Throw some cash at someone and win some games and the money from boosters will follow. #PRAYNOGUS

True. The SEC west isn't good right now.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 23, 2017, 10:42:31 pm
I just don't like the fact that in years 2-4 him and CBB are separated by 1 game.

That is scary. SEC experience or not, Norvell knows how to win, and that's who we need.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 23, 2017, 10:34:35 pm

Boy what if Florida had the same logic back in 2005 and decided that Urban Meyer didn't have enough experience? He only had 1 year at Bowling Green and 1 at Utah. No SEC experience and only 2 years total of head coaching experience.

Actually, Urban Meyer had twice the amount of HC'ing experience as Norvell when he got the Florida job. At Florida, he inherited some talent but he did a great job of recruiting in the middle of a talent hotbed. Would he have had similar success if he had instead landed in the recruiting hotbed of Arkansas instead of Florida? I doubt it.

What is more, I already said that Norvell is probably a great young coach and that he might do well at Arkansas, but given a minimal amount of experience as a HC to judge from, getting him might be a bigger risk than we need to take right now. I'm just not into this "we have to have someone with Arkansas ties" thing. Having gone to school in Arkansas, owning property in Arkansas or having a wife from Arkansas are not the qualifications that I seek for the next HC.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

November 24, 2017, 05:58:25 am #413 Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:33:39 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 10:11:38 pm

That's not the case for me. I just want the best coach that we can get who has proven himself over a longer period of time and who has done so with lesser recruiting classes.

I thought, heck I think most of us thought, that was what we were getting with Bielema. That obviously didn't work out like we might have hoped. But that doesn't change the fact that this is the situation that any HC at Arkansas is going to have to work with until the right coach catches magic in a bottle and we can establish ourselves as a double digit win team for 5-6 years in a row. Then, our reputation on a national level will rise and we will start seeing more and better players wanting to beat a path to our door.

To me that requires a seasoned HC who is accustomed to doing more with less in terms of recruiting, at least for the time being. Gus hasn't done that, Norvell hasn't done it long enough. But if either of them are hired, I will of course support them. I'm a Hog fan first.
Go Hogs Go!

Scott7703

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2017, 05:58:25 am
That's not the case for me. I just want the best coach that we can get who has proven himself over a longer period of time and who has done so with lesser recruiting classes.

I thought, heck I think most of us thought, that was what we were getting with Bielema. That obviously didn't work out like we might have hoped. But that doesn't change the fact that this is the situation that any HC at Arkansas is going to have to work with until the right coach catches magic in a bottle and we can establish ourselves as a double digit win team for 5-6 years in a row. Then, our reputation on a national level will rise and we will start seeing more and better players wanting to beat a path to our door.

To me that requires a seasoned HC who is accustomed to doing more with less in terms of recruiting, at least for the time being. Gus hasn't done that, Norvell hasn't done it long enough. But if either of them are hired, I will of course support them. I'm a Hog fan first.

That's all fair enough. It does appear that Gus and Norvell are the top targets. I hope they can get it done and believe that either will improve our program.

online-with-swine

I just don't understand this lust for an Arkansas guy for head coach.  I want who is right for the job Arkansas contacts be darned.  My only qualifier would be ties/experience to the SEC region or Texas.

HoopS

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 24, 2017, 07:50:07 am
I just don't understand this lust for an Arkansas guy for head coach.  I want who is right for the job Arkansas contacts be darned.  My only qualifier would be ties/experience to the SEC region or Texas.
that is the thing. He has a very good resume. I saw a blind resume done with him, Gundy, Mullen, and a few others and without knowing who was who, Gus got 75-80% of the votes. Look at his numbers in the best conference in the country and tell me he isn't a great candidate.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopS on November 24, 2017, 07:59:22 am
that is the thing. He has a very good resume. I saw a blind resume done with him, Gundy, Mullen, and a few others and without knowing who was who, Gus got 75-80% of the votes. Look at his numbers in the best conference in the country and tell me he isn't a great candidate.

Balance that poll out by which one has done more with less in recruiting. Gus is't going to have Auburn recruiting classes to utilize at Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2017, 08:26:26 am
Balance that poll out by which one has done more with less in recruiting. Gus is't going to have Auburn recruiting classes to utilize at Arkansas.
we will get good players here too though. Whether top 10 or not, we can get good enough talent to win. And I'm not convinced just because magazines and websites call a player whatever Star, it's correct. But what's funny is until Gus went to Auburn, we didn't have a problem competing with them. Now we can't stay on the field with them. He's dangsure doing more with their talent to us than any other Auburn coach ever did.

I believe in our potential. I believe Gus sees it too.

online-with-swine

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2017, 08:26:26 am

Probably Leach would be our do more with less guy.  I just can't help but imagine him married up to a good DC and some recruiters.

HoopS

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 24, 2017, 08:50:18 am
Probably Leach would be our do more with less guy.  I just can't help but imagine him married up to a good DC and some recruiters.
I would take him. I'm pretty much ready for whoever we hire. Just ready for a new approach.

fieldturf

Quote from: HoopS on November 24, 2017, 08:47:21 am
we will get good players here too though. Whether top 10 or not, we can get good enough talent to win. And I’m not convinced just because magazines and websites call a player whatever Star, it’s correct. But what’s funny is until Gus went to Auburn, we didn’t have a problem competing with them. Now we can’t stay on the field with them. He’s dangsure doing more with their talent to us than any other Auburn coach ever did.

Best post of the 4-day thanksgiving weekend!!!

Danimal

we will get good players here too though. Whether top 10 or not, we can get good enough talent to win. And I'm not convinced just because magazines and websites call a player whatever Star, it's correct. But what's funny is until Gus went to Auburn, we didn't have a problem competing with them. Now we can't stay on the field with them. He's dangsure doing more with their talent to us than any other Auburn coach ever did.

To me that says more about OUR coach than it says about Auburn's -- think about it....

razorbackfaninar

Gus can't win without an absolutely elite quarterback, There are people who can win here and win big and consistently, but in my opinion Gus can't do that.  I know it has been beaten into the ground, but I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that  people can't simply look at his record in the same conference and see that he can't get us to where we want to go. It's not rocket science. Just look at his wins in his time at Auburn, subtract one each year due to talent disparity and you can see about what he will bring.  I cant see how that is going to inspire any hope in the fan base.   

WilsonHog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 24, 2017, 08:57:05 am
Gus can't win without an absolutely elite quarterback, There are people who can win here and win big and consistently, but in my opinion Gus can't do that.  I know it has been beaten into the ground, but I still cannot wrap my head around the fact that  people can't simply look at his record in the same conference and see that he can't get us to where we want to go. It's not rocket science. Just look at his wins in his time at Auburn, subtract one each year due to talent disparity and you can see about what he will bring.  I cant see how that is going to inspire any hope in the fan base.

But you are making a prediction. What about those posters who look at Mike Norvell's record at Memphis, and can't get their mind wrapped around a 36-year old translating that experience to Arkansas in the SEC West? Is their "educated guess" any more or less valid than yours about Malzahn?

jgcat4

I believe Gus sees a great place to retire, lower expectations, a much calmer fan base and a really nice payday. For the last 6 years we have been little more than a joke in the SEC. We were Alabama's homecoming game his year! Doesn't that tell you guys something??? When you are that bad you are a dumpster fire. Gus knows that he has the support of the GOBN and he can be the next HDN if he comes here. Now if he wants to be that or not, I have no idea. I don't want a guy who has that cushion at their disposal. I want a guy who feels like he has to work and win to keep his job. I want someone who is hungry to build a program and prove himself. A guy with a chip on his shoulder. I don't think Gus is that guy. Just my opinion...
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

King Kong

Quote from: Danimal on November 24, 2017, 08:55:45 am
To me that says more about OUR coach than it says about Auburn's -- think about it....

In Auburn's 6 SEC wins they have an average margin of victory of 27.83 pts per game.

You may want to rethink that statement

The NewEra

Who would be your top three choices in order of preference?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 23, 2017, 09:10:13 pm

I am not saying Gus isn't a decent coach, My frustration with people pushing him as the next coach of the Razorbacks is that we have already seen what he can do in the SEC West with Elite talent and while I would gladly trade his record at Auburn for ours the last few years, it hasn't been anything spectacular outside of year one. He has lost to 5 un-ranked teams Bielema has lost to 7 un-ranked teams.  In my opinion hiring Gus would mean we are settling for a slightly better than average coach who will give us a slightly better than average record, and I believe we can do and expect better than that.

HoopS

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 24, 2017, 09:14:58 am
I am not saying Gus isn't a decent coach, My frustration with people pushing him as the next coach of the Razorbacks is that we have already seen what he can do in the SEC West with Elite talent and while I would gladly trade his record at Auburn for ours the last few years, it hasn't been anything spectacular outside of year one. He has lost to 5 un-ranked teams Bielema has lost to 7 un-ranked teams.  In my opinion hiring Gus would mean we are settling for a slightly better than average coach who will give us a slightly better than average record, and I believe we can do and expect better than that.

as an OC, he won the whole thing. As HC, he lost a close one in the title game. And who knows how this season plays out.

And that isn't good enough.

Haha. Man.

Arkansas fans.

Pork Twain

we will get good players here too though. Whether top 10 or not, we can get good enough talent to win. And I’m not convinced just because magazines and websites call a player whatever Star, it’s correct. But what’s funny is until Gus went to Auburn, we didn’t have a problem competing with them. Now we can’t stay on the field with them. He’s dangsure doing more with their talent to us than any other Auburn coach ever did.

Again, that is all fine and dandy if you ignore that we have not been able to hang with most teams with better talent since CBB arrived, which is also when Gus arrived.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

He apparently has found one. They went from average in total defense last year to #11 this year.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on November 24, 2017, 09:08:25 am
Who would be your top three choices in order of preference?

1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham

Now are any of those three coming here? I seriously doubt it. But those would be my first three calls.
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 24, 2017, 09:24:06 am
Again, that is all fine and dandy if you ignore that we have not been able to hang with most teams with better talent since CBB arrived, which is also when Gus arrived.

Well in Bielema's second and 3rd year we were able to "hang" with almost everyone. Just Bielema couldn't win a close game if his life depended on it.

texasdvm

I know Gus well enough to say that he believes he can win a national championship at any P5 school he coaches.  He has supreme confidence in his ability to figure out how to win.  He fears no one.  He will work as hard as the task demands to get to the top of the mountain.  He is a tireless worker.  He expects the same of his coaches and players.  He is a man of integrity, competence and skill.  He represents the best in humanity. He is an Arkansan.  I will gladly go to war in the SEC with him as our General.  We are Arkansas.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 17, 2017, 05:05:23 pm
And I am afraid that is what this is setting up...Gus wins next Sat, and we are put off till the following Sat. He beats Ga again and we are gonna wait a month...and then he says no?

Norvell won't be on the table very long after December 2nd....

Again, afraid we just need to move on...and I have heard Skip Holtz's name way to much as a fall back....

PRJ

Either way that scenario goes and one school is left fumbling for a coach. If he gets to the SECCG game then he really should have no choice other than staying put. I wouldn't wait for him after that, and I'm certain we wouldn't either.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HoopS on November 24, 2017, 09:19:00 am
as an OC, he won the whole thing. As HC, he lost a close one in the title game. And who knows how this season plays out.

Haha. Man.

Arkansas fans.

Listen to what you are saying:  "He came close to winning a national title 4 years ago, he was an assistant on the team that won a national championship 7 years ago and that isn't good enough for Arkansas fans?  Haha. Man. Arkansas Fans"   

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2017, 09:27:35 am
1. Mike Gundy
2. Mike Leach
3. Kyle Whittingham

Now are any of those three coming here? I seriously doubt it. But those would be my first three calls.

Interesting list!  It will be intriguing to see if any of these actually emerge as targets from reliable sources.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 24, 2017, 09:01:09 am
But you are making a prediction. What about those posters who look at Mike Norvell's record at Memphis, and can't get their mind wrapped around a 36-year old translating that experience to Arkansas in the SEC West? Is their "educated guess" any more or less valid than yours about Malzahn?

The thing about Norvell or any other coach outside of Malzahn is while we are making an educated guess about how each of them would fare as a coach in the SEC west, With Malzahn you just have to look at his record playing in the SEC West and you can see what he will do here.  If you look at that and hire him anyway then you are saying hey we are fine with winning 7-8 games a year and we think that is good.  Whereas with a Norvell, or someone outside the conference you can at least be hopeful that he will be able to catch lightning in a bottle and do something more. To me it just seems if we go with Malzahn we are settling on the fact that we think we can't do better.  A different coach at least brings the hope that we think we can do better and we are trying to be serious competitors.     

Simple Swineman

Quote from: HoopS on November 24, 2017, 09:19:00 am

Haha. Man.

Arkansas fans.

On top of that, we have fans wanting him get in the playoff for yet ANOTHER national championship shot so that we DON'T hire him.

cc

Have you not watched the video?  He said the marriage ceremony never works out well and you should just elope.  That dude can be entertaining on his tangents. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on November 24, 2017, 09:49:10 am
Interesting list!  It will be intriguing to see if any of these actually emerge as targets from reliable sources.

They won't. It seems that we are stuck on hiring someone with "Arkansas ties".
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2017, 09:51:24 am
They won't. It seems that we are stuck on hiring someone with "Arkansas ties".

Of the names being floated around with Arkansas ties, who would be your top three choices in priority? 

HoopS

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 24, 2017, 09:42:31 am
Listen to what you are saying:  "He came close to winning a national title 4 years ago, he was an assistant on the team that won a national championship 7 years ago and that isn't good enough for Arkansas fans?  Haha. Man. Arkansas Fans"   
I meant every word. 

We have won one title, in 1964.

But we are think this guy isn't good enough. Ridiculous

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on November 24, 2017, 09:54:24 am
Of the names being floated around with Arkansas ties, who would be your top three choices in priority? 

Probably 1) Gus, 2) Norvell, 3) Strong, but to me that isn't the best list we could have for a new HC. Now they all have Arkansas ties but they aren't my picks. Doesn't matter really, the GOBN is running this hire just like they are the AD hire.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 24, 2017, 09:59:06 am
Probably 1) Gus, 2) Norvell, 3) Strong, but to me that isn't the best list we could have for a new HC. Now they all have Arkansas ties but they aren't my picks. Doesn't matter really, the GOBN is running this hire just like they are the AD hire.

It will be interesting, won't it?  I just hope whatever the decision is, it works out to be a great hire for the UofA.  I'm tired of experiencing what we have over the past two years, not to mention a lot of what was ugly in the first two of this five year run. 

Danimal

Quote from: King Kong on November 24, 2017, 09:04:17 am
In Auburn's 6 SEC wins they have an average margin of victory of 27.83 pts per game.

You may want to rethink that statement
He's having a good year -- I HAVE thought about that. It's how he performed in years 2, 3, and 4 (comparable to CBB) with ELITE talent that I CAN'T QUIT thinking about.

Piggie

Quote from: hogfan1983 on November 23, 2017, 08:43:49 pm
Just throwing this out there, our last 2 hires came out of nowhere. I never heard one thing about either coach coming to Arkansas less than a few hours before it was announced. I did hear the same "realtor" rumor about a few other coaches but the actual choice was never in the mix. Also, it does not make sense that Gus would be hired here when he can't seal the deal at Auburn. What about someone with professional and college experience that may be looking to make a splash back in college? (NOT GRUDEN) Just wondering what the thoughts are there?
[/quote

Jeff Long was AD when those two hires were made. His first two choices in the first hire, Tommy Bowden, and then Jim Grobe which leaked early would have been horrible. Petrino fell into his lap, or we wouldn't have had him. He kept the Bielema hire close to his vest, so he did do a good job of letting the rumors fly amiss. In my opinion, Bielema was a good hire on paper, but as we now know, a bad hire. The rumor mill is going strong, and in the end, we will know how accurate it is or isn't.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on November 24, 2017, 10:05:37 am
It will be interesting, won't it?  I just hope whatever the decision is, it works out to be a great hire for the UofA.  I'm tired of experiencing what we have over the past two years, not to mention a lot of what was ugly in the first two of this five year run. 

I think that is something that we can all agree on as this change takes place. Now the big curve ball to the fan base would be if the GOBN decided to give Bielema 1 more year. There would be a melt down of such proportions on Hogville that it would make the Nutt fiasco look like a minor event.
Go Hogs Go!

Piggie

Quote from: soso on November 23, 2017, 09:19:31 pm
More board of trustee leaks. Cliff Gibson a Monticello lawyer and BOT member told family members at a recent function it was going to be Gus. Who knows?

Please let it be so!
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!