• 388,945 Topics
• 22,018 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Some new info....  (Read 22301 times)

Rudy Baylor

• Senior
  • Bad defense makes Hans Blix very very angry
Re: Some new info....
« Reply #250 on: November 18, 2017, 10:26:21 pm »

You misunderstood. Didn't mean kiffin had anything to do with them. What I mean is our program is in trouble and has been since John L Smith. It's stalled and we don't want to kill it and be as bad of a program as smu was after the death sentence. I don't want to put a preverbial bullet in our program by hiring kiffin and him leaving after a year and find out a great coach like venables or Norvell were interested but took other jobs.

you're still making no sense

out of the blue, you cherry pick "Kiffin leaving after one year" and you then throw all your marbles at Norvell, who does not know yet how to hire a good coaching staff - another cherry pick

It's possible that Venables is actually scared to be a head coach. He's 46 and he's been the "golden child" for a decade now. And yet he remains an assistant

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #251 on: November 18, 2017, 11:34:27 pm »

out of the blue, you cherry pick "Kiffin leaving after one year" and you then throw all your marbles at Norvell, who does not know yet how to hire a good coaching staff - another cherry pick

It's possible that Venables is actually scared to be a head coach. He's 46 and he's been the "golden child" for a decade now. And yet he remains an assistant

Norvell has been a college football coach for 11 years. He’s only been a HC for 2 years, but I’m sure how to hire a good coaching staff.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Calvin Swine

• Varsity
« Reply #252 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:06 am »

Gus isn't specifically playing Arkansas, he's playing the system.  He's playing the game of, "school X wants me badly, what are you willing to pay me to stay?"  I don't blame him as there will come a day he'll be fired and all the money he's rat holed will be what he lives out his life and supports his family with.  We just need to be smart enough to realize it, keep this hope on a short leash, and give him a reasonably short timeline for a yes or no and then move on.  It's business not personal.

Frankly, I'd be focusing my efforts on Norvell, as you don't have the headaches of playing the longshot.

Granny fan

• Senior
  • "Jethro says smog is a small hog."
« Reply #253 on: November 19, 2017, 10:18:55 pm »

I think it's going to be like the Bielema hire and be somebody no one is even talking about.

This is what I’ve been saying all along.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #254 on: November 19, 2017, 10:21:18 pm »

Gus isn't specifically playing Arkansas, he's playing the system.  He's playing the game of, "school X wants me badly, what are you willing to pay me to stay?"  I don't blame him as there will come a day he'll be fired and all the money he's rat holed will be what he lives out his life and supports his family with.  We just need to be smart enough to realize it, keep this hope on a short leash, and give him a reasonably short timeline for a yes or no and then move on.  It's business not personal.

Frankly, I'd be focusing my efforts on Norvell, as you don't have the headaches of playing the longshot.

As far as anybody knows, Gus hasn't said a word. Everything is message board conjecture taken as fact.

Piggie

• Varsity
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2017, 10:25:26 pm »

That's my number one concern with Norvell.

If I recall, Nutt brought most of his staff from Boise State when he came. At that time Boise was not near as good as Memphis is now, and we were a fumble away from possibly playing for the national championship his first year. Just because they are no names doesn't necessarily mean they are poor coaches.

ipigsooie

• Senior
« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2017, 10:25:30 pm »

This is what I’ve been saying all along.

I might be inclined to agree but long is out and it seems there is a strong sentiment to get an Arkansas guy in here. But if we are guessing random names that are drawing straws out of a hat, I'll take Gary Patterson.  Nobody thinks he is in play and I'll guess that maybe he wants one shot at the sec. Ultimately my real guess is Norvell but just taking a shot in the dark.

Piggie

• Varsity
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2017, 10:28:39 pm »

That's my number one concern with Norvell.

Whoops, I posted the wrong thing above. This makes more sense with what I said. And how do you delete when you make a mistake, or can you?
If I recall, Nutt brought most of his staff from Boise State when he came. At that time Boise was not near as good as Memphis is now, and we were a fumble away from possibly playing for the national championship his first year. Just because they are no names doesn't necessarily mean they are poor coaches.

Piggie

• Varsity
« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2017, 10:29:45 pm »

Dang it! The whole copied comment isn't making it for some reason. I was responding to a comment that Norvell's staff was only Sunbelt caliber.

East Clintwood

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #259 on: November 19, 2017, 10:54:36 pm »

Link?

Link to what?  His entire adult life?

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #260 on: November 20, 2017, 05:08:05 am »

Whoops, I posted the wrong thing above. This makes more sense with what I said. And how do you delete when you make a mistake, or can you?

And that was the best year Nutt had at Arkansas. He slowly declined from 10-2 in 98 to losing records in 04 and 05, thus the drama around the recruitment of Mustain in 06. It was to save his job. Keith Burns was forced on him and was the best DC we had in the Nutt era. The core of his staff was not SEC quality.

southeasthog

• Resident Inspector
« Reply #261 on: November 20, 2017, 05:20:08 am »

And that was the best year Nutt had at Arkansas. He slowly declined from 10-2 in 98 to losing records in 04 and 05, thus the drama around the recruitment of Mustain in 06. It was to save his job. Keith Burns was forced on him and was the best DC we had in the Nutt era. The core of his staff was not SEC quality.
9-3 in 1998.

MountieDawg

« Reply #262 on: November 20, 2017, 05:35:16 am »

I happen to work for the father of Auburn's director of recruiting....

Talked to that said person today. Said that Gus isn't coming here...in no certain terms.

My Arkansas people tell me different.  So...Gus is misleading one side....

Sours me on Gus. Just move on to Norvell....not Skip Holtz.

PRJ

If you are considering leaving you don't tell your current staff and players while you are working on a NC!!!  Would you not have wanted Saban when he said he wasn't leaving the dolphins.

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #263 on: November 20, 2017, 07:04:59 am »

If you are considering leaving you don't tell your current staff and players while you are working on a NC!!!  Would you not have wanted Saban when he said he wasn't leaving the dolphins.
Ditto.  Regardless of who's coming, they would never tell someone who will still be there when they leave OR would run back and tell the right folks whats happening behind the scenes.  That's career suicide.

dmaxfan

• Varsity
  • "We got that wood rot her"
« Reply #264 on: November 20, 2017, 07:14:26 am »

My top choice isn't Novell but it's better than  kiffin and what I said makes perfect sense if you look at kiffins history

AugustaHog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #265 on: November 20, 2017, 08:53:11 am »

Skip would win less than Bret here.

Gus needs to say yes or no by Next Sunday morning, win or lose.

If it is no, Norvell, Norvell, Norvell...

PRJ
Skip Holtz would be like pouring grease on our currently burning dumpster fire.  Dear Lord let it not get that far!  We surely have enough $$$ and cache to get somebody better than Skip Holtz.  He has been decent at ECU and LT, but was really bad at USF.  That's a place that has proven to be fruitful for a decent coach.  Leavitt, Taggart, and now Charlie Strong have had some nice success there.  I truly hope the worst we do is Norvell.  If it gets past his name, I'm concerned we'll botch it.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Married way....way...way....up.
« Reply #266 on: November 20, 2017, 08:54:13 am »

You don’t trade up Bret for Skip.

Nobody is that stupid.

JOKERHOG

• Senior
« Reply #267 on: November 20, 2017, 08:58:19 am »

My guess is gus is a smokescreen and Leach agreed a long time ago  to be our next coach.  Just a gut feeling...

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #268 on: November 20, 2017, 08:59:30 am »

You don’t trade up Bret for Skip.

Nobody is that stupid.

That's not the first hire a new AD wants to be tagged with. I wouldn't be surprised if Skip has reached out to some Holtz-era players, which may include our new AD if it's Scanlon, but there's no way he gets serious consideration.

PigInTheHole

• Varsity
  • love that helmet
« Reply #269 on: November 20, 2017, 09:38:30 am »

My guess is gus is a smokescreen and Leach agreed a long time ago  to be our next coach.  Just a gut feeling...

smokescreen or just getting a raise Nutt style;  I got a feeling too, a hopeful one

Smallie Bigs

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:39 am »

Around 12-13 years ago my wife & I was apart of a small church in Fayetteville. It was a branch of a big church in Russellville, AR where my father in law was the head/founding  pastor. A coach currently at NC State who coached under Gus at different schools & his fiance(wife now) at the time were apart of the 20 or so members that started it w/ us. My father in law is still a mentor to him and they speak about once or twice a month. The coaches wife is still close friends w/ Mrs. Malzahn. Both of them told my Father in law that Mrs. Malzahn is set on returning to Arkansas if possible. They would be shocked if he was offered and didn't take it. Take this for what it's worth. I have no big source but my father in law is a good, honest man who told me this yesterday. I'm not saying he is coming but there is interest on his side. Go Hogs!

woodrow hog call

« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2017, 10:53:52 am »

Around 12-13 years ago my wife & I was apart of a small church in Fayetteville. It was a branch of a big church in Russellville, AR where my father in law was the head/founding  pastor. A coach currently at NC State who coached under Gus at different schools & his fiance(wife now) at the time were apart of the 20 or so members that started it w/ us. My father in law is still a mentor to him and they speak about once or twice a month. The coaches wife is still close friends w/ Mrs. Malzahn. Both of them told my Father in law that Mrs. Malzahn is set on returning to Arkansas if possible. They would be shocked if he was offered and didn't take it. Take this for what it's worth. I have no big source but my father in law is a good, honest man who told me this yesterday. I'm not saying he is coming but there is interest on his side. Go Hogs!

This makes more sense than 99% of the posts on this board right now. I don't know why it's so hard for people to believe that Gus and his wife would rather live in NWA, than where they currently do.

This is why it's so foolish (imo) to think it hinges on the outcome of one game, or two games, if he wants to come home the powers that be can work around ANY possible scenario that could play out, as far as bowl games, playoffs, or whatever happens.

The early signing period is OPTIONAL, that means nobody has to sign then, they can still wait an sign in Feb just like every other year.

Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head

• Semi-retired Eponymous Mod Accountability Manager
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:30 am »

Be pretty funny if we fired long and bielema and end up with gobn and skip holtz.

The entertainment value here would be off the charts

Tony Perkis

• This is the 18th level of the PerkiSystem.
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2017, 11:34:38 am »

I really hope you are wrong. Leach would not feel like an upgrade over BB.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Married way....way...way....up.
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2017, 11:36:01 am »

The entertainment value here would be off the charts

Without a doubt.

Every weekend would be like a Stephen Wright/George Carlin comedy standup, but with hillbillies.

HawgTide

• Senior
« Reply #275 on: November 20, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

I wouldn't have any problem if we hired Venables but you are wrong about a couple of things. He hasn't been a golden child for a decade - he was basically run out of Oklahoma in 2012. He is also totally unproven as a head coach. Not 2 years experience. Not 1 year. 0.   

Is he a better choice as a 46 year old career assistant than a second year head coach like Frost, Norvell or Brown? Only time will tell

stronguard

• And remember, I said with all due respect.....
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2017, 05:19:14 pm »

Ill be disappointed if we hire an also ran like Leach.  Just dont get the infatuation.

Norvell would mean well be in the same boat we are now in 5 years, looking for a successful head coach.

Frost...meh, he'd be here til Nebraska came calling yr 3, and we seem to prey on each others coaches (Ark and Neb)

Gus..... I guess so, but half the fans hate hime, the other half find no wrong, another Nutt situation.

Kiffen..... perfect fit, dad coached here, upwardly limited due to past, great recruiter, hungry to take Bama down a notch, would OWN Orgeron.  Looks enough like Daniel Tosh that we would get some free press on Tosh.0. 

WE WANT KIFFEN

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »

I personally believe that Gus did reach out to us when his job was in jeopardy (after LSU).  That makes a lot of sense.  He does have lots of friends in NWA and probably on the BOT also.  Then, he turned his season around and grew less and less in need of a place to land, but still in need of leverage.  My hope is that the Gus flirtation is over or almost over and we go get Norvell, Campbell, Frost or Morris.

dmaxfan

• Varsity
  • "We got that wood rot her"
« Reply #278 on: November 20, 2017, 06:14:06 pm »

I personally believe that Gus did reach out to us when his job was in jeopardy (after LSU).  That makes a lot of sense.  He does have lots of friends in NWA and probably on the BOT also.  Then, he turned his season around and grew less and less in need of a place to land, but still in need of leverage.  My hope is that the Gus flirtation is over or almost over and we go get Norvell, Campbell, Frost or Morris.
Agreed

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2017, 07:24:58 pm »

Probably, you can’t bet half this board will say he turned us down when it reality he wasn’t offered the job.

Uncle Remus

• Bench Warmer
  • Whatya hear...whatya say?!?
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2017, 03:54:40 pm »

I've talked to two different hog boosters that are as involved and supportive as anyone out there, and both have suggested that we give Skip a chance.  I am not for this myself, but I can say that there are those out there that may be in the GOBN that wouldn't mind giving Holtz a look.  Personally, their arguments to me that he has competed everywhere he has been fell on deaf ears due to the conferences he has played in.  Besides, I don't want someone who has competed with the big dogs at their smaller school...if we are going to go that route, I want someone who has knocked them off!

Calvin Swine

• Varsity
« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2017, 03:59:27 pm »

I've talked to two different hog boosters that are as involved and supportive as anyone out there, and both have suggested that we give Skip a chance.  I am not for this myself, but I can say that there are those out there that may be in the GOBN that wouldn't mind giving Holtz a look.  Personally, their arguments to me that he has competed everywhere he has been fell on deaf ears due to the conferences he has played in.  Besides, I don't want someone who has competed with the big dogs at their smaller school...if we are going to go that route, I want someone who has knocked them off!

I sincerely hope Skip isn't on the shortlist.  In my opinion he would energize the fan base like cold toast.

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2017, 04:12:09 pm »

Skip would make me box up all my hog gear and become a casual football fan.

d3maybe

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2017, 04:12:54 pm »

Venables might be scared to be a head coach but if true why would he have interviewed for the Arkansas job in 2012? Maybe he is just picky and loyal... I know that would blow peoples minds these days.

ur

• The First Back to Back 7A Football State Champions
« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2017, 04:32:22 pm »

BP before skip

ModestoHOG63

• Senior
« Reply #285 on: November 21, 2017, 04:53:12 pm »

If Gus gets fired, then sure he'll likely come here.  But otherwise he's just trying to get some big money.   I want Norvel  and he wants to be here also so........let him have his shot and for less money.  Some has mentioned that his teams don't play defense, then get a great defensive coordinator and solve that problem.   

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2017, 04:54:29 pm »

He told ASU he would be there up till the last second, and then packed his bags.
Who wouldn’t?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2017, 04:55:53 pm »

BP before skip

I 100% agree. If they can't get Venables or Norvell, they should just bring BP back and move on.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »

They can't hire Skip Holtz because the fan base is already in revolt.  They are going to have to get a somewhat flashy hire to get everyone back on board.  If they hire Skip Holtz he better come out of the gate 9-0 or the majority of the fans will abandon the program and may never come back.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2017, 05:31:50 pm »

Ill be disappointed if we hire an also ran like Leach.  Just dont get the infatuation.

Norvell would mean well be in the same boat we are now in 5 years, looking for a successful head coach.

Frost...meh, he'd be here til Nebraska came calling yr 3, and we seem to prey on each others coaches (Ark and Neb)

Gus..... I guess so, but half the fans hate hime, the other half find no wrong, another Nutt situation.

Kiffen..... perfect fit, dad coached here, upwardly limited due to past, great recruiter, hungry to take Bama down a notch, would OWN Orgeron.  Looks enough like Daniel Tosh that we would get some free press on Tosh.0. 

WE WANT KIFFEN

Well you are making assumptions about Norvell that may or may not be true, and if you think Frost is gonna bolt at year three what do you think Kiffin will do?

duckman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • outkicked my coverage
    • Shari Bales and Southbound
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »

I would rather keep BB for another year than hire Skip...

HoopS

« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2017, 06:27:32 pm »

Skip is actually very solid. Boring for us. But solid.

Wooderson

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2017, 06:29:22 pm »

We have to pay for a 140 million dollar expansion.  The last thing we need is boring. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2017, 06:30:05 pm »

Norvell has been a college football coach for 11 years. He’s only been a HC for 2 years, but I’m sure how to hire a good coaching staff.

Bielema had been a HC for 7 years and he didn't

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2017, 07:00:43 pm »

On paper Bielema was a good hire, but his coaching philosophy just didn’t work, and as soon as, Pittman left so did our O Line. Norvell’s system would work here, and with the right DC would most likely be extremely successful. In my opinion, Gus has had top 10 recruiting classes every year, and that’s not going to happen here. Norvell has done more with less. Gus has overal done less with more. He still hasn’t recruited and developed a QB. Cam was bought and paid for transfer.

online-with-swine

• Blah, Blah, Blah
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2017, 07:06:54 pm »

Tell your booster friends that if they pull Skip, they will have essentially killed the school.  Nobody is going to get excited and buy up season tix for that dung.

ipigsooie

• Senior
« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2017, 07:53:09 pm »

Bielema can hire a good staff. He just can't keep them. Matt Canada, Paul chryst, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman, etc. These are all good coaches

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »

Bielema can hire a good staff. He just can't keep them. Matt Canada, Paul chryst, Randy Shannon, Sam Pittman, etc. These are all good coaches
He could hire a good staff, but those days are gone forever now all he can hire are guys who were assisting nfl assistants.

Marshfieldhog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2017, 08:16:06 pm »

I give up if we end up with Skip

King Kong

« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:41 pm »

First. Paul Chryst was OC when he got the Wisconsin job. Second Hargreaves, Segrest, KA Chaney and Scott were terrible hires.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas