Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jimbo Fisher to A&M?

Started by Hogblog, November 14, 2017, 03:18:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogblog

rhog1

If Gruden to Tenn, Kelly to Florida, and Fisher to A&M then this league is taking a serious step up.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhog1 on November 14, 2017, 03:20:35 pm
If Gruden to Tenn, Kelly to Florida, and Fisher to A&M then this league is taking a serious step up.

Only 1 of those is possible imo. Tenner always runs their mouth about gruden but end up with Dooley and butch. Isn't jimbos buyout north of 20 mil?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 14, 2017, 03:23:52 pm
Only 1 of those is possible imo. Tenner always runs their mouth about gruden but end up with Dooley and butch. Isn't jimbos buyout north of 20 mil?

If fired, it is $39 million.  If he leaves, around $7 million.  A&M can afford $7 million.  Fisher has been rumored to be looking for a while.  Could have gone to LSU. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawghiggs

How about Kelly to Florida, Fisher to A&M, and Petrino to Tennecheat?

Calling All Hogs

I would take Matt Campbell over Kelley or Fisher.

Bebop

While he won a NC, I think Fisher is overrated as coach. He reminds me of Miles.

Atlhogfan1

I don't think Jimbo could go to a mid tier program and be successful.  But he can recruit and is a good offensive coach who would probably make A&M more physical on both sides which is what they need.  That is if he could find enough kids in Texas now willing and able to do it.  If Les could be trusted to not screw up the QB position, he would make A&M better.  Same region to recruit.  But cannot trust Les' teams will have competent QB play after what happened at LSU. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

yraciv

Fisher to A&M yes, but the others are complete question marks.  Everyone loves Gruden, but who knows how Gruden would do in the SEC when he hasn't coached in college since he was a TE coach at Pacific in 1989.  I think Kelly is a pretty good college coach and will have success in Florida, but he is coming off bombing out of the NFL and doesn't really has souther ties. I know he didn't have PNW ties either, and that worked out pretty well, but you never know.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Saw an article last week comparing A&M to FSU in terms of resources.  Not even close.  A&M could pay $10 mil per year if they wanted to and have much larger assistant coach salary pool as well. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GoHogs1091

Doubtful Gruden goes to Tennessee.  If he returns to coaching, it will probably be in the NFL.

Due to Tennessee's recruiting environment/situation, they are almost forced to hire a good recruiter.

There is a 62 page thread over on a Tennessee message board of top 3 candidates, and a lot of Tennessee fans have Brent Venables listed.  Venables is an elite recruiter.

If Fisher does go to A&M instead of Chad Morris, then Morris may be heavily considered by Tennessee.  Morris has already recruited heavily in the geographical area where Tennessee has to recruit (when Morris was at Clemson).

Tee Martin is another good recruiter that may be considered by Tennessee.

The real Hogules

If Jimbo can't build a monster, much like Bama, or TOSU at FSU, with all of the talent in the state of Florida alone, then "assuming we get a competent coaching staff" Jimbo Fisher at A&M doesn't worry me.
Now, Kelly at UF, that makes one stop and think DAYUM, Florida went BIG!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hogblog on November 14, 2017, 03:18:10 pm
https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-m-going-jimbo-fisher-192337521.html

Things are getting interesting......

FSU has had a miserable two years and their fans want him out.  Cant field a good O-line and his D sucks.  He has stuck with a couple of long-time assistant coaches that aren't doing him any favors.

ipigsooie

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 14, 2017, 04:38:14 pm
Doubtful Gruden goes to Tennessee.  If he returns to coaching, it will probably be in the NFL.

Due to Tennessee's recruiting environment/situation, they are almost forced to hire a good recruiter.

There is a 62 page thread over on a Tennessee message board of top 3 candidates, and a lot of Tennessee fans have Brent Venables listed.  Venables is an elite recruiter.

If Fisher does go to A&M instead of Chad Morris, then Morris may be heavily considered by Tennessee.  Morris has already recruited heavily in the geographical area where Tennessee has to recruit (when Morris was at Clemson).

Tennessee really wants to hire a big name. They may look to Campbell if Mullen decides to stay. Many of their fans would prefer lane kiffin over an up and comer. I just hesitate to believe that they go after a coordinator or an up and comer like morris or norvell. Frost...maybe. tee Martin makes sense as he is loved in the state by many. Imagineif Peyton manning decided to try it out. I doubt he would risk his legacy at UT but no doubt he would be a big name hire.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 14, 2017, 03:38:43 pm
How about Kelly to Florida, Fisher to A&M, and Petrino to Tennecheat?

BP would be ahead of schedule if he goes to Tenner since this is only his third year at UL.  LMAO

Airforcehawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 14, 2017, 04:38:14 pm

I would not be surprised if Tee gets the job.

parallaxpig

If Fisher goes to A&M, nice slap in face to LSU fans........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Ex-Trumpet

Not a Jimbo fan.  At all.  That would be one more reason to hate the aggies.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Bebop on November 14, 2017, 03:47:36 pm
While he won a NC, I think Fisher is overrated as coach. He reminds me of Miles.

He is WAY better than Leslie, although I don't think he is a great HC.

Posters on here slobber all over Gruden for unknown reasons. He is SUPER OVER-RATED! As a Raider fan, I was glad to get 3 draft picks and get him gone.

The problem was, Al Davis was the one making the hire to replace him and totally botched it, not once, but several times.

Without the foundation laid by Dungy, Gruden never would have won a Super Bowl. As Dungy's players aged or moved on, the worse they got under the little charlatan Gruden.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

hobhog

Eventually ADs are going to get sick of paying millions on millions to make changes every 4-5 years, just to see same results.

I know I am as a college football fan.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 14, 2017, 03:46:35 pm

Campbell is a good Coach.

As far as outright coaching ability alone, the following are probably the best available regarding just outright coaching ability (in order from the most best).

Brent Venables
Matt Campbell
Chad Morris
Scott Frost
Neal Brown

Venables and Morris also bring in the recruiting aspect that a lot of football programs are desperate to get solved.

While Campbell is a very good Coach, it is difficult to know whether or not he can recruit well enough down here in this part of the country.

On coaching ability alone, Campbell is a better coach than Chip Kelley.  Kelly has already proven that he can't get it done against SEC competition (he lost to both LSU and Auburn when he was at Oregon).

ballz2thewall

gruden/tenn

don't have the link handy but i saw an article a few hours ago that stated strongly that there will be no gruden at tenn.
The rest of the frog.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2017, 05:30:40 pm

I don't need more reasons.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 14, 2017, 05:48:51 pm
I don't need more reasons.

For real. The last 6 years are reason enough.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 14, 2017, 05:45:57 pm
gruden/tenn

don't have the link handy but i saw an article a few hours ago that stated strongly that there will be no gruden at tenn.
LOL!!

Yet He is the betting favorite. Hmmm.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BearsBisonsBoars

Were I an Aggie (may it never be so), I would be afraid that we were trading one 1 trick pony for another.

Sumlin rode JFF and collapsed without him Fisher appears ti have collaped after riding Winston to success.

Rudy Baylor

You are correct

Big time correct

mckinneyhog5

Still think Norvell ends up at Tenner.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

jvanhorn

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 14, 2017, 06:08:27 pm
Still think Norvell ends up at Tenner.

If he does we missed a golden opportunity.

HogCzar1

Hogtimes

November 14, 2017, 06:52:11 pm #30 Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:23:54 pm by Hogtimes
Quote from: Drop the Mike on November 14, 2017, 03:23:52 pm

Yeah, but IIRC people on this board did the same thing about Gruden when Bielema was hired.

husker71

for the long term Campbell for the short term Fisher  about recruiting I agree that it is the lifeblood of successful programs BUT take Ron Zook.  Great recruiter at  Florida and pretty good at  Illinois (same with Orgeron).  You have to be able to take that talent and do something with it or get a staff that can do that.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 14, 2017, 05:30:40 pm

Same here.  As far as I am concerned he played a likely rapist at QB.  National championship and all...

BigE_23

This times a million.

ShadowTheHedgehog

.. and CBB at Arkansas