• 385,040 Topics
• 21,565 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is GE a bargain yet?  (Read 118 times)

WaltKowalski

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Is GE a bargain yet?
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:35:04 pm »

Im tempted

HawgWild

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Life is good
Re: Is GE a bargain yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »

Heard a guy on Squawk on the Street this morning say he offered a bet to a room full of hedge fund managers: Take the year end price for GE and what it would be in 2 years;  he'd take the over and they'd take the under and he'd bet them any amount. He had no takers.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:32:12 pm »

Personally I wouldn't come within 10 light years of the stock. Obviously the company has a TON or problems and issues to deal with. Trust me: for a company like GE, long considered one of the steadiest/most reliable, to halve their dividend yesterday speaks volumes. Nope, let things settle down; let the new CEO get a full handle on what he wants to do in order to address the massive list of issues facing the company. I can promise you there will be plenty of opportunity to buy down the road. This stock isn't really going anywhere on the upside for a while.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »

Personally I wouldn't come within 10 light years of the stock. Obviously the company has a TON or problems and issues to deal with. Trust me: for a company like GE, long considered one of the steadiest/most reliable, to halve their dividend yesterday speaks volumes. Nope, let things settle down; let the new CEO get a full handle on what he wants to do in order to address the massive list of issues facing the company. I can promise you there will be plenty of opportunity to buy down the road. This stock isn't really going anywhere on the upside for a while.

Did you just say "trust me"????

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:24:17 pm »

Did you just say "trust me"????
Trust me: there will be plenty of opportunity to buy GE.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:59 pm »

Trust me: there will be plenty of opportunity to buy GE.

Every day the market is open, and they haven't halted trading in GE.

CampuspostmanHOG

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:41:15 pm »

↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑     ↑

This

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:38:54 am »

Every day the market is open, and they haven't halted trading in GE.
And who the heck said they have (or will) ??? Come on Rice, you know exactly what I mean. Heck, you're a ton smarter than that.

Make it clearer so that ANYONE can understand: there's absolutely NO reason to buy GE at this point. Have patience and you'll very likely get it at an even better price. While it may not decline significantly from here, the future is opaque enough and the new CEO is still trying to get his hands around the many issues this company has been allowed to get itself into. The stock is very likely NOT going to rally significantly in the foreseeable future. One also has to realize that GE will very likely be a "tax loss" candidate between now and year end for anyone who hasn't yet jettisoned the position.

Troll-ingmotor

• Band Nerd
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:06:39 pm »

Heard a guy on Squawk on the Street this morning say he offered a bet to a room full of hedge fund managers: Take the year end price for GE and what it would be in 2 years;  he'd take the over and they'd take the under and he'd bet them any amount. He had no takers.

Meh, hedge funds could manipulate this stock all over the place... Sounds fake.

They are probably selling off huge parts of the business... there might not be a GE in 10 years. Stay away for a bit and see what the new CEO can do. Market at close to ATHs, be cautious here folks.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:18 pm »

Meh, hedge funds could manipulate this stock all over the place... Sounds fake.

They are probably selling off huge parts of the business... there might not be a GE in 10 years. Stay away for a bit and see what the new CEO can do. Market at close to ATHs, be cautious here folks.
Oh you can bet the new CEO is definitely going to be streamlining the company even further. Heck, a lot of folks thought that GE Financial was the main reason the company tanked in 2007-08. While the financial crisis back then didn't help the company, there was a lot of speculation the company had already strayed far away from its core competencies over the past ten years or more. It just took the market crisis back then to expose the problems.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 08:48:09 am »

Interesting follow-up to this whole question. Read an analysis this morning concerning the potential break up value of the company (not that it will be). According to this report the stock may be worth only $10.00-$11.00 a share. Their cash flow problems are going to severely limit some of the options they have for future moves to make the company more competitive and relevant going forward. Flannery, the new CEO, is most definitely going to have his work cut out for himself.

There is even speculation the company could receive an even further humiliating blow: possible delisting out of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. For a company that's been in this index for over 110 years that would really be a heavy gut punch. My, how the mighty have fall :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas