Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by kingshogs22, November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

d3maybe

According to cfbstats.com the last 9 years and two different schools, Brent's defenses have ranked outside the top 10 twice... TWICE...

(last three years at OU)
2009 - 8th
2010 - 8th
2011 - 7th

Since being at Clemson his defensive ranking looks like
2012 - 34th
2013 - 64th
2014 - 1st
2015 - 10th
2016 - 6th
2017 - 7th thru this past weekend

The Hogs cracked the top 50 twice... 5 of those 9 years Arkansas Friggin State had better ranked defenses... We need a defensive guru and let him hire a Norvell, Campbell, Frost, or Josh Heupel, type of OC.

Consequently...the only defense to do better in the SEC across all those years is of course Alabama...

Oklahoma won the conference the last 3 years he was there, and Clemson has won their conference 3 of the last 6 years since he has been there...

We are all to familiar with what Saban has done at Bama with "Defense"....

All the proof we need that defense wins...consistently....is right there.

Make the man an offer he can't refuse....

OkieBack

Quote from: d3maybe on November 20, 2017, 03:41:52 pm
According to cfbstats.com the last 9 years and two different schools, Brent's defenses have ranked outside the top 10 twice... TWICE...

(last three years at OU)
2009 - 8th
2010 - 8th
2011 - 7th

2012 - 34th
2013 - 64th
2014 - 1st
2015 - 10th
2016 - 6th

The Hogs cracked the top 50 twice... 5 of those 9 years Arkansas Friggin State had better ranked defenses... We need a defensive guru and let him hire a Norvell, Campbell, Frost, or Josh Heupel, type of OC.

Consequently...the only defense to do better in the SEC across all those years is of course Alabama...

Oklahoma won the conference the last 3 years he was there, and Clemson has won their conference 3 of the last 6 years since he has been there...

This is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say.  Way to go d3maybe.  I'm with ya...

isavedjazz

I'm just not on the Vegetable train yet
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

Muskliketusk

(last three years at OU)
2009 - 8th
2010 - 8th
2011 - 7th

2012 - 34th
2013 - 64th
2014 - 1st
2015 - 10th
2016 - 6th

They sure didn't. Your numbers for his time at OU are bull. His defenses in 10 and 11 weren't no better than ours.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

onebadrubi

Quote from: isavedjazz on November 20, 2017, 04:56:38 pm
I'm just not on the Vegetable train yet

While I've been saying BV is one of my top options for weeks now, I am fine with other options too.  If not V then who in your opinion?

d3maybe

Quote from: Muskliketusk on November 21, 2017, 11:18:19 am
They sure didn't. Your numbers for his time at OU are bull. His defenses in 10 and 11 weren't no better than ours.

You might be right about 10 and 11, I'm finding contradicting data...

Whats not in dispute is of the 14 games they played in 2010 they gave up less then 25 pts 10 times and went 12-2. (and I can't stand the Sooners so I'm going to have to go take a shower after taking up for them here)

in 2011 they went 10 -3 and gave up over 20 pts just 5 times in 13 games...

I haven't done this research but over the past 5 years look back and see how many games the Hogs win if they hold the opponent to 20 pts.

This data if from wikipedia.

onebadrubi

Quote from: d3maybe on November 21, 2017, 11:37:35 am
You might be right about 10 and 11, I'm finding contradicting data...

Whats not in dispute is of the 14 games they played in 2010 they gave up less then 25 pts 10 times and went 12-2. (and I can't stand the Sooners so I'm going to have to go take a shower after taking up for them here)

in 2011 they went 10 -3 and gave up over 20 pts just 5 times in 13 games...

I haven't done this research but over the past 5 years look back and see how many games the Hogs win if they hold the opponent to 20 pts.

This data if from wikipedia.

People like pulling old stats, but football has changed so much.  In 2010, Mark ingram lined up and ran it down our throats against bama, now his same Head coach is spreading the football around.  The landscape will probably look different in 7-8 season from now.  You have coaches who stick to what they know and fail (Bielema, Kingsburry, etc) and you have coaches who can adapt.  Finding a coach who has won against different styles, has experience in different confereces that specialize in different skills (physical, spread, etc. ). 

d3maybe

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2017, 11:43:45 am
People like pulling old stats, but football has changed so much.  In 2010, Mark ingram lined up and ran it down our throats against bama, now his same Head coach is spreading the football around.  The landscape will probably look different in 7-8 season from now.  You have coaches who stick to what they know and fail (Bielema, Kingsburry, etc) and you have coaches who can adapt.  Finding a coach who has won against different styles, has experience in different confereces that specialize in different skills (physical, spread, etc. ).

You are correct... football has changed. The thing that hasn't changed is defense wins championships...I think you need the offense to go with it, but go look up cfbstats and for the last 10 years and the champ team's defense has ranked outside the top 5 once...maybe twice..I looked through it pretty quick.

And Bama is still driving it down peoples throats... Saban spreads it out a little... but not much he is pretty balanced.

...of the 6 teams that are in the running for the playoffs this year go and look at their defense ranking this year in total defense. All 6 teams are in the top 10.

I said this earlier in a post but Wazzu's passing offense leads the nation and its not even close... but are they even sniffing the playoffs... AND they even have a top 20 defense this year.

These aren't OLD stats either... the last 3 years Venables defenses have ranked 7, 8, 10 in total defense...consequently they have been in the Natty game the last 2 years and won it once and have a real good change of going back this year.

Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it...

onebadrubi

Quote from: d3maybe on November 21, 2017, 12:06:21 pm
You are correct... football has changed. The thing that hasn't changed is defense wins championships...I think you need the offense to go with it, but go look up cfbstats and for the last 10 years and the champ team's defense has ranked outside the top 5 once...maybe twice..I looked through it pretty quick.

And Bama is still driving it down peoples throats... Saban spreads it out a little... but not much he is pretty balanced.

...of the 6 teams that are in the running for the playoffs this year go and look at their defense ranking this year in total defense. All 6 teams are in the top 10.

I said this earlier in a post but Wazzu's passing offense leads the nation and its not even close... but are they even sniffing the playoffs... AND they even have a top 20 defense this year.

These aren't OLD stats either... the last 3 years Venables defenses have ranked 7, 8, 10 in total defense...consequently they have been in the Natty game the last 2 years and won it once and have a real good change of going back this year.

Those who ignore history are bound to repeat it...

35-31 is borderline questioning defense, but I agree with what you are saying.  I also think Venables is a good option and in the top of my want list. 

Smithian

If they hired Venables and went big on an OC, I'd be a happy fan.

Mark Helfrich has some free time.

Smithian

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2017, 12:41:02 pm
35-31 is borderline questioning defense, but I agree with what you are saying.  I also think Venables is a good option and in the top of my want list. 
Everyone gives us points these days. Difference between good and bad defense is who is able to make some plays in big moments.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Smithian on November 21, 2017, 01:32:28 pm
If they hired Venables and went big on an OC, I'd be a happy fan.

Mark Helfrich has some free time.

He has been around some really good offensive minds, I like his chances to be able to find a good one

davril98

I was just reading a couple of articles and it doesn't seem like venables really is concerned much with being a head coach

OkieBack

Quote from: davril98 on November 21, 2017, 02:05:00 pm
I was just reading a couple of articles and it doesn't seem like venables really is concerned much with being a head coach

Venables will be a hot commodity with all of the school openings coming available.  He's gonna have to beat em all off with a stick if he really doesn't want to give it a shot.  But I think this is the year he takes the plunge and brings allot of great coaches with him wherever he lands. 

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: davril98 on November 21, 2017, 02:05:00 pm

He's not a job hopper which is rare in his profession. I think he's being careful with the jobs he takes. Wherever he lands as a head coach is probably where he'll stay for as long as he's welcome.

Airforcehawg

(last three years at OU)
2009 - 8th
2010 - 8th
2011 - 7th

2012 - 34th
2013 - 64th
2014 - 1st
2015 - 10th
2016 - 6th

Yes Please!!!!

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 21, 2017, 02:54:43 pm
He's not a job hopper which is rare in his profession. I think he's being careful with the jobs he takes. Wherever he lands as a head coach is probably where he'll stay for as long as he's welcome.

Our job may not be big enough anymore for Venables.

I presume he will either replace Swinney at Clemson, or he eventually becomes Oklahoma's Head Coach.

If Texas A&M is totally tired of not having a great defense, then he may get considered for that Head Coach job.  Venables has shown that he can recruit against anyone in the State of Texas.

We had 2 chances to hire Venables.  We instead chose to hire a NFL failure (Robert Petrino) and we instead chose to hire a Coach with a sham record from the Mediocre 10 Conference (Bielema).

rbb1991

My fear is we will go all offense like Norvell and end up having a weak defense at best. That is why I like Venables. He can recruit nationally, including Texas. He was won national recruiter of the year. That means he is putting in the work of effectively evaluating and getting talent. Once he gets that talent, he knows what to do with it. Perennial Top 10 defense nationally. Is he the next Nick Saban or Jimmy Johnson, only time will tell.

a0ashle

Quote from: rbb1991 on November 22, 2017, 03:32:43 am
My fear is we will go all offense like Norvell and end up having a weak defense at best. That is why I like Venables. He can recruit nationally, including Texas. He was won national recruiter of the year. That means he is putting in the work of effectively evaluating and getting talent. Once he gets that talent, he knows what to do with it. Perennial Top 10 defense nationally. Is he the next Nick Saban or Jimmy Johnson, only time will tell.

Venables would be the first guy I made say no, I've avoided the infatuation over him over the years, but you can't ignore what he's done.

Also, selfishly, I always enjoy watching Hogs a little more when we have a strong attacking defense. If the trend on the O is spread, then I want our HC to be about defense, that is the recipe that's been most successful across the country. Tons of OCs can run the spread effectively enough.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 21, 2017, 09:04:36 pm

I presume he will either replace Swinney at Clemson, or he eventually becomes Oklahoma's Head Coach.

If Texas A&M is totally tired of not having a great defense, then he may get considered for that Head Coach job.  Venables has shown that he can recruit against anyone in the State of Texas.

We had 2 chances to hire Venables.  We instead chose to hire a NFL failure (Robert Petrino) and we instead chose to hire a Coach with a sham record from the Mediocre 10 Conference (Bielema).

I think that's absurd. This is a program with the resources to win. We've been to the cusp several times and failed to get over the hump, but the right coach has what he needs. And putting down our last two hires is ridiculous. Petrino failed us off the field. Bielema on paper was a great hire, but had no experience building a program, which is what he needed to do after Petrino/Smith burned it down.

OkieBack

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 22, 2017, 09:03:00 am
I think that's absurd. This is a program with the resources to win. We've been to the cusp several times and failed to get over the hump, but the right coach has what he needs. And putting down our last two hires is ridiculous. Petrino failed us off the field. Bielema on paper was a great hire, but had no experience building a program, which is what he needed to do after Petrino/Smith burned it down.

Agree.  HDN won 10 games and got to the SEC Title Game twice I think.  Petrino won 11 in 2011 and could have arguably been the 3rd best team in America (behind Alabama and LSU who played for the NC).

No I don't buy the crap you can't recruit or win big at Arkansas.  You just gotta have the complete coach who loves the school and wants to get it done here.  The facilities and resources are there for the taking.  It can be done. 

d3maybe

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 08:51:43 am
Venables would be the first guy I made say no, I've avoided the infatuation over him over the years, but you can't ignore what he's done.

Also, selfishly, I always enjoy watching Hogs a little more when we have a strong attacking defense. If the trend on the O is spread, then I want our HC to be about defense, that is the recipe that's been most successful across the country. Tons of OCs can run the spread effectively enough.

100% agree!!! make him say no... We said no the first time and made a mistake... apologize and make him a great offer...

Also, I wonder how his relationship with Bob is? I mean Bob just might want to see one of his protege's do well in his first HC position. And with Venables and Bob's relationships in Okie high schools that could be big in recruiting.

BadHog

Should be the top of the list.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

OkieBack

Quote from: d3maybe on November 22, 2017, 10:53:40 am
100% agree!!! make him say no... We said no the first time and made a mistake... apologize and make him a great offer...

Also, I wonder how his relationship with Bob is? I mean Bob just might want to see one of his protege's do well in his first HC position. And with Venables and Bob's relationships in Okie high schools that could be big in recruiting.

Venables has been in MULTIPLE NC games at OU and now Clemson.  He's got two rings on his fingers.  I hope the 3rd one will have Arkansas stamped on it.  I want to win just like everyone else, but I also want a shot at the big enchilada.  Bring Venables over to Fayetteville and let him get those coaches/recruits in here and start the machine!

RazorbacksFTW

Quote from: OkieBack on November 22, 2017, 12:23:47 pm
Venables has been in MULTIPLE NC games at OU and now Clemson.  He's got two rings on his fingers.  I hope the 3rd one will have Arkansas stamped on it.  I want to win just like everyone else, but I also want a shot at the big enchilada.  Bring Venables over to Fayetteville and let him get those coaches/recruits in here and start the machine!

Should happen but won't the GOBN has taken over and they don't care about winning they just want one of their own as head coach.

I'm sure they will be patting themselves on the back for a job well done as we win 6-7 games a year for 10 years and the fan base disappears.

I hope I'm wrong but don't have much confidence in the GOBN.

a0ashle

Quote from: RazorbacksFTW on November 22, 2017, 12:33:00 pm
Should happen but won't the GOBN has taken over and they don't care about winning they just want one of their own as head coach.

I'm sure they will be patting themselves on the back for a job well done as we win 6-7 games a year for 10 years and the fan base disappears.

I hope I'm wrong but don't have much confidence in the GOBN.

We're you aware they have money? I'm told that's all the proof you need to show they know what they are doing.

OkieBack

Quote from: a0ashle on November 22, 2017, 12:35:23 pm
We're you aware they have money? I'm told that's all the proof you need to show they know what they are doing.

Ah yes, the money factor.  Let's just hope someone like Les Miles doesn't have one of our big donors in his back pocket.  Otherwise Fayetteville may be having to put up with the mad hatter as the next HC.  Now that would be a disaster!  Lol

Hogindasticks

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 21, 2017, 09:04:36 pm

Could be the reason JL is gone now...what if it isnt Gus that the reason that JL is gone....and it's Venables...lol...hmmmm

hogsmash12

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 06:26:43 am
There's no "allegedly" about it. It's pretty well known that he wanted the job.

If he would take it offer him today. As long as he brings in a good oc he is the best solution to get our defense back up to sec standards.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 09:27:39 pm
2016 Rivals recruiter of the year. Repeatedly has built championship defenses even when losing talent early to the NFL. Venables would be a bigger story than any of the mid major head coaches that have been mentioned. He is the only one who has repeatedly been in living rooms of 4 and 5 star athletes. Arkansas needs a defensive overhaul and he is just the guy to do it. Venables as our new coach moves the needle in the SEC and even though I don't believe Very much scares the likes of Gus and Saban I guarantee they would rather we hire a Norvell than a Venables.

It's always a guessing game with coordinators stepping up to HC.  However, this guy seems to hit all the check points.  The more and more I look at it, I find myself thinking BV might be the best person for the job.  Our defense could be stout in a few years, and with the right OC, BV might just win the whole damn thing. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 25, 2017, 06:17:55 am
It's always a guessing game with coordinators stepping up to HC.  However, this guy seems to hit all the check points.  The more and more I look at it, I find myself thinking BV might be the best person for the job.  Our defense could be stout in a few years, and with the right OC, BV might just win the whole damn thing.

Venables is my top choice. Hoping for an Auburn win today. I'll be happy with Norvell too, but BV is the better option.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 25, 2017, 06:30:02 am
Venables is my top choice. Hoping for an Auburn win today. I'll be happy with Norvell too, but BV is the better option.

I think the Norvell hype is his offense and the hope he'd outscore everyone like Petrino.  I get it and I'd be happy with MN too.  However, the two best records in the SEC right now are defensive minded coaches.  And Auburn, who may win the whole thing, is feared because of their defense as well. 

I know those schools have recruiting advantages but BV might be able to recruit defensive players at a way higher clip than any Razorback coach in the past.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

Tim Harris

I'm sure Venables is a good dude and could be a fine HC somewhere but if we hire him then we have missed on several other targets.

a0ashle

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 25, 2017, 06:44:28 am
I'm sure Venables is a good dude and could be a fine HC somewhere but if we hire him then we have missed on several other targets.

This may be true but only because our list of targets is jaded with retreads and Arkansas boys for no real reason.

#1 STUNNA

so people bash hiring Gus and saying he wont be able to get the recruits like he can get at Auburn... but nobody is saying the same about the recruiting classes Venables had at oklahoma and Clemson..lol

onebadrubi

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 25, 2017, 08:47:21 am
so people bash hiring Gus and saying he wont be able to get the recruits like he can get at Auburn... but nobody is saying the same about the recruiting classes Venables had at oklahoma and Clemson..lol

Well the hope is that venebales has made some great ties in Texas and been more of a recruiter than Malzahn.  Makes since but the point is similar.  Venebales doesn't bring baggage to the state either

Hawg Life

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 25, 2017, 08:47:21 am

Venables best friend is The AD @'Texas Tech, and if he took a HC job today it would be in Lubbock. That can change, but right now if he took a HC job it would be there.

d3maybe

Quote from: Broadway Rob on November 25, 2017, 06:17:55 am

Well, the Hogs are not going to ever win the SEC or the NC with-out great defense... and name me someone that is available that is a better defensive guy? Charlie maybe and that's a big maybe. I think Charlie out coached Frost yesterday and if not for a kickoff return USF beat UCF.

I'm just sayin There are all kinds of high flying offenses out there right now that aren't winning big because they don't have a defense. Lets let a defensive guy run the program and make sure he hires a high flying OC to run the offense.

I guess we'll know if a few days... I think they will most likely try and lock somebody up this weekend with at least a commitment. That's pure opinion though.

a0ashle

Quote from: d3maybe on November 25, 2017, 10:26:48 am
Well, the Hogs are not going to ever win the SEC or the NC with-out great defense... and name me someone that is available that is a better defensive guy? Charlie maybe and that's a big maybe. I think Charlie out coached Frost yesterday and if not for a kickoff return USF beat UCF.

I'm just sayin There are all kinds of high flying offenses out there right now that aren't winning big because they don't have a defense. Lets let a defensive guy run the program and make sure he hires a high flying OC to run the offense.

I guess we'll know if a few days... I think they will most likely try and lock somebody up this weekend with at least a commitment. That's pure opinion though.

I am not sure that the goal is championships, it seems it's more along the lines of "please the cult of Gus"

TebowHater

In addition to the above (top 10 D in 8 of past 10 seasons). Someone please tell me how Norvell is better - would love to understand. Venables has refused anything but good, P5 jobs (i.e., he would never go to Memphis). Compare their time as assistants, also compare who they coached under.

Venables Resume

In his 21 years as a full-time assistant coach, his teams have 21 winning seasons

Has won 10+ games 17 out 21 seasons.

• Has coached in five National Championship games. Helped the Tigers to their second national title in 2016 with a 35-31 win over Alabama. Owns a National Championship ring as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Oklahoma in 2000.

• Recipient of the 2016 Frank Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach. His 2016 group amassed 130 tackles for loss and a school-record 49 sacks. His teams have led the NCAA in total tackles for loss each of the last four seasons.

• Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2015 by Rivals.

• National defensive coordinator-of-the-year by FootballScoop in 2014 and national recruiter-of-the-year by Rivals in 2015.

• One of five finalists for the 2015 Frank Broyles Award after his defense was fourth nationally in third-down conversion percentage (.277), fourth in sacks per game (3.2) and fifth in tackles for loss per game (8.4). He coached Second-Team All-ACC linebackers Ben Boulware and B.J. Goodson.

• Boulware was a First-Team All-ACC performer and second-team Walter Camp All-American in 2016, as well as ACC Co-Defensive Player-of-the-Year as voted by the league coaches.

• His 2014 defense led the nation in total defense (260.8), pass efficiency defense (98.3), first downs allowed (185), third-down conversion percentage defense (27.4) and tackles for loss
(131), while being in the top five in many other statistical categories. He also coached linebacker Stephone Anthony, who was a Butkus Award semifinalist and First-Team All-ACC selection.

• His 2013 defense, which was 24th in the nation in scoring defense and 25th in total defense, led the nation in tackles for loss (122). He also coached All-ACC linebackers Spencer Shuey and Anthony.

• Named one of the top-25 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by Rivals.

• Named one of the top-50 recruiters in the nation in 2013 by 247Sports.

• Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2013 by Rivals.

• His 2012 defense held opponents to just 34.0 percent on third down, 24th-best in the nation.

• A big reason Clemson has won back-to-back ACC titles for the first time in 28 years.

• Coached 13 years (1999-11) at Oklahoma and three years (1996-98) at Kansas State. He was also a graduate assistant coach at Kansas State for three seasons (1993-95).

• Served as co-defensive coordinator at Oklahoma (1999-03) and defensive coordinator at Oklahoma (2004-11).

• Linebackers under his direction were named Big 12 Defensive Player-of-the-Year five times and Big 12 Defensive Newcomer-of-the-Year five times. He also coached two Butkus Award winners and two other Butkus Award finalists.

• Broyles Award finalist in 2006 when Oklahoma led the Big 12 in total defense and scoring defense.

• Oklahoma was first in the nation in total defense, first in passing defense, second in pass efficiency defense, third in scoring defense and fifth in turnover margin in 2003.

• His 2001 defense was fourth in the nation in scoring defense, fourth in total defense, fifth in pass effiency defense and seventh in rushing defense.

OkieBack

Quote from: TebowHater on November 25, 2017, 06:57:55 pm
In addition to the above (top 10 D in 8 of past 10 seasons). Someone please tell me how Norvell is better - would love to understand. Venables has refused anything but good, P5 jobs (i.e., he would never go to Memphis). Compare their time as assistants, also compare who they coached under.

Venables Resume

In his 21 years as a full-time assistant coach, his teams have 21 winning seasons

Has won 10+ games 17 out 21 seasons.

• Has coached in five National Championship games. Helped the Tigers to their second national title in 2016 with a 35-31 win over Alabama. Owns a National Championship ring as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Oklahoma in 2000.

• Recipient of the 2016 Frank Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant coach. His 2016 group amassed 130 tackles for loss and a school-record 49 sacks. His teams have led the NCAA in total tackles for loss each of the last four seasons.

• Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC in 2015 by Rivals.

• His 2001 defense was fourth in the nation in scoring defense, fourth in total defense, fifth in pass effiency defense and seventh in rushing defense.

All these accolades tell everyone all they need to know, but I'm afraid Vanables may not get the chance (in Fayetteville).  The State seems hell bent on getting Malzahn which after today really ups the rally cry for Gus, but it's been said many, many times.  If Gus comes to Arkansas he is bringing allot of baggage and God forbid if he doesn't win 9 games in his first 2-3 years.  We will be right back arguing as we are today.  I'd be much happier bringing in a guy who deserves it most and can build the Hogs up on both sides of the ball to a level of greatness.  Venables record over the last 21 years speaks volumes, but if its a popularity contest then I'm not sure he is in the running at Arkansas.  I hope he is the man they talk to first, but I'm not sure. 

GoHogs1091

Venables continues to school the SEC.  He is now 5-0 recently against the SEC.

Defeated Auburn in 2016   (he kept Auburn to 13 points)
Defeated South Carolina in 2016
Defeated Alabama in the National Championship game   (he kept Alabama to just 2 out of 15 on 3rd Down Conversions)
Defeated Auburn in 2017   (he kept Auburn to 6 points)
Defeated South Carolina in 2017

Norvell has lost to the only good defense he has faced this season (Norvell lost to that only good defense, UCF's by 27 points)

Brass Knob

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am
Brent Venables needs to be at he top of the list. Arkansas has needed a new identity on Defense for a decade. Venables can provide the smash mouth defense we need. He has successfully ran defenses that have beaten teams like Texas, Auburn, South Carolina and Alabama. He has studied unet Snyder, Stoops and Dabo. The coaching pedigree is off the charts and he recruits in the south and Texas. This would be a game changer.

I think it would be a terrible move. Arkansas will never have the ability to recruit the necessary players to line up and play smash mouth football. Arkansas needs an offense oriented coach who can score a ton of points. Get them to bring in a good DC and try to win shootouts...

onebadrubi

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 25, 2017, 10:48:45 pm
I think it would be a terrible move. Arkansas will never have the ability to recruit the necessary players to line up and play smash mouth football. Arkansas needs an offense oriented coach who can score a ton of points. Get them to bring in a good DC and try to win shootouts...

Venables would most likely bring in some sort of balance spread attach, it's what he's been around since becoming a D.C.   

Pork Twain

Solid #1 and would have Diaz as my #2
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TebowHater

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 25, 2017, 10:52:45 pm
Venables would most likely bring in some sort of balance spread attach, it's what he's been around since becoming a D.C.

Correct. We could pay him 3M and have huge salary for whatever OC you want.

Auburn is good this year not because of their offense, but because their defense is so good. Same with Georgia.

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 14, 2017, 12:00:50 pm
My guess is he would bring in someone like Josh Heupel.

Dowell Loggains

FANONTHEHILL

I mentioned in another thread.  As a DC or Co-DC Venables has a won/loss total of 199-43.  You can look at all the different statistical criteria, but W's are what matters and he's been part of championship caliber football.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

parallaxpig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 26, 2017, 07:47:32 am
I mentioned in another thread.  As a DC or Co-DC Venables has a won/loss total of 199-43.  You can look at all the different statistical criteria, but W's are what matters and he's been part of championship caliber football.

Can he recruit Texas? That's all I need to know.......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

kingshogs22

When he was at Oklahoma one of his responsibilities was Texas.