Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by kingshogs22, November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fademe

Quote from: imtad16 on November 14, 2017, 10:42:33 pm
He seems like he could be good, but the thing that makes me a little nervous about him is that he has been a hot name coordinator for seemingly 15 years. I couldn't tell you why he hasn't been hired as an HC. It just seems weird that no one has hired him as an HC yet. It's like a nice looking house that has been on the market for too long. Just gives me pause.

It has been rumored for a few years that Venables isn't a HC because of a domestic violence issue when he was a player at Kansas St. Because of that, people have speculated that the only HC job he'd likely be able to get is at KState when Snyder retires.

goodguytex

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 14, 2017, 03:27:23 pm
There is a 62 page thread over on a Tennessee message board of top 3 candidates, and a lot of Tennessee fans have Venables listed.

Regarding a possible potential Staff if Venables was hired here, I could see the following.

Brent Venables   Head Coach

Josh Heupel   Offensive Coordinator/QBs

Michael Smith   Wide Receivers (I could see Venables retaining Smith)

Barry Lunney, Jr.   Tight Ends (I could see Venables retaining Lunney, Jr.)

James Patton   Offensive Line   (Patton was an OL Coach at OU for 7 seasons while Venables was at OU)

Jim Leavitt   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers   (Leavitt was Venables' LB Coach when Venables played at Kansas State).

Marion Hobby   Defensive Line   (Hobby was the DEs Coach at Clemson and coached with Venables at Clemson from 2012-2016.  Hobby went back to coaching in the NFL, but perhaps Venables could get him to leave the NFL.  Hobby is an excellent Defensive Coach).

If Hobby will not leave the NFL, then perhaps Jim Jeffcoat would be interested in joining back up with Leavitt.  Jeffcoat and Leavitt coached together at Colorado.

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1817&path=football

Mike Stoops   Secondary   (it is thought that this season will be Stoops' last season at OU.  His defensive coaching specialty is the Secondary).
But what about Clint Conque?? Why are you leaving him out?? You're going to hurt his feelings....

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: fademe on November 15, 2017, 03:37:24 pm
It has been rumored for a few years that Venables isn't a HC because of a domestic violence issue when he was a player at Kansas St. Because of that, people have speculated that the only HC job he'd likely be able to get is at KState when Snyder retires.

First I've heard of that. A Google search returns nothing on it.

fademe

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 15, 2017, 03:48:17 pm
First I've heard of that. A Google search returns nothing on it.

Supposedly, A lexisnexis search does or did. I've never actually seen anything on it. Just read rumors about it from a few different teams when they were speaking of Venables in their coaching searches.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 15, 2017, 12:43:28 pm
The idea of Venables is growing on me, especially if he brings a Sumlin or Kingsbury with him as OC.

Kingsbury is a very good OC.  He perhaps is even better than Josh Heupel as an OC.  Kingsbury is the type of an OC that Venables would probably want to be his OC.

The probable positives if we hired Venables.

Our recruiting would be excellent (especially our State of Texas recruiting).
Our game week preparation leading up to a game would be excellent.
Our lines-of-scrimmage play would be excellent.
Our Linebacker play would be excellent.
Our tackling would be excellent.
Our offensive scheme would spread out opposing defenses, which you have to do against the Alabama type defenses.

rbb1991

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 14, 2017, 05:01:17 pm
I would be so stoked with Brent Venables. I think he is someone who can recruit numerous 4 star defensive players to Arkansas.  That is our number one need.  You can teach offense and get it done with an infinite number of good WRs and RBs that are available but you recruit defense and there are not enough defensive studs to go around.  We need our share. 
This would be my selection. #1 Recruiting. This is the life's blood of any program. The teams that are consistently at or near the top have talent and speed. A donkey or mule will never win the Kentucky Derby. You will need a thoroughbred. We need a top notch recruiter to complete on the next level in the SEC. Someone who can go after AND GET the athletes and develop them. I don't mean who can just recruit players. Someone who can maintain a coaching staff at a high level when vacancies come open. I believe Brent Venables will do to just that. #2 Exotic So far, we have not achieved or maintained a high level on recruitment. Therefore, we will have to be "special" on at least one side of the ball. Our last two years under Bobby Petrino, we were "special" on the offensive side of the ball. And those two years of success were exciting for us. But the old adage is "offense wins games, defense wins championships" still holds true. WE will need a change in our defensive mindset. I could be wrong, but it seems there is a diminished emphasis on defense. Look at Big 12. Score the most points!!! If you cannot stop anyone, you just have to hope to get the ball last with enough time to score. A coach like Venables will make sure the defensive side of the ball is well taken cafe of. #3 Driven/Hungry/Dynamic Some coaches are driven more than others. Someone who is always teaching, working, striving to get better. A coach not settling for mediocrity. The run that Clemson is on right now is impressive. IMHO, James Franklin is one of the best out there right now. It took a SPECIAL person to make VANDERBILT FOOTBALL relevant! I believe Venables can do that. 

kingshogs22

Couldn't agree more, all this love for every mid major coach who is having success in the Atlantic or American conference. And we have a DC who has coached in 5 Nat Championship games, won recruiter of the year, the Broyles Award and oh by the way has recently directed defenses that have beaten Florida State, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina and Virginia Tech. This guy is big game tested he is the change we need.

oxhog24

Bingo....the real reason a great coach has been a top assistant for 15 years and has never landed a head coaching position...sometime you cannot escape the ghosts from your past. Doubtful he will ever be a head coach it today's PC world.

jackflash

if they fired coach BB I would choose Venables and rob Tennessee of Thinpen  may  not have spelled his name right a couple of Texas A&M coaches

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: oxhog24 on November 16, 2017, 08:44:34 am
Bingo....the real reason a great coach has been a top assistant for 15 years and has never landed a head coaching position...sometime you cannot escape the ghosts from your past. Doubtful he will ever be a head coach it today's PC world.
First of all, there is nothing "PC" about exposing domestic violence.  If it happened.  But do you guys really believe that someone is holding onto that information waiting until he gets offered a head coaching position?  They are fine with him being one of the top paid assistants in the country and winning national championships, but if he gets a head coaching offer at Podunk U. they are going to expose him?

dowils

I hope he is given strong consideration.  Brent Venables would be a tremendous Razorback coaching choice...

GoHogs1091

If there is an issue regarding that, then Bill Snyder, Bob Stoops, and Dabo Swinney wouldn't have hired him.

HF#1

Gotta think he is holding out for when Dabo leaves for Alabama.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Batesville Hogfan

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 14, 2017, 12:11:17 pm
Venables would be the guy if we go the coordinator route.  I don't think he would have any problem coming up with a good staff. I'm less confident about some of the young guns being mentioned.
I'm with you on the young guns....reminds me of the Stan Heath hire when Bill Self was begging for the job. At the least, I don't want Norvell. He is only in year 2 and he took over a program already in good shape. It would take at least 3 more years to know if he's any good or just riding the coat tails of Fuentes. Frost at least took over a crap team and made tem good.

Batesville Hogfan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 16, 2017, 03:32:28 pm
If there is an issue regarding that, then Bill Snyder, Bob Stoops, and Dabo Swinney wouldn't have hired him.
Yeah Stoops only plays women hitting thugs.....not hires them.

Spektre

Venables HC, Kingsbury OC. That's at the top of my list. Sick of watching defenses that aren't aggressive. Seeing what he can do with a high powered offense behind him would be fun to watch.

TexHog188

Was Kingsbury fired from tt.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

HogTakes

Offense. We can guarantee them usage a lot of schools can't. And we have a recent history of offensive playmakers we can sell.

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 14, 2017, 05:30:26 pm
What is easier to attract to Arkansas in quantity - quality offensive players or quality defensive players?

ipigsooie

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 15, 2017, 03:26:27 pm
Norvell has a chance to be the next Butch Jones, Mcelwain or Derek Dooley. Venables is more likely to be the next Bob Stoops, Kirby Smart of Jimbo Fisher. Which would you like to have more?

Really? Hahahha? I literally laughed out loud. You have absolutley no way to know this. Why isnt venables more likely to be the next muschamp, derek mason, mark stoops, barry odom, or bret Bielema?

GuvHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 17, 2017, 11:48:54 am
Really? Hahahha? I literally laughed out loud. You have absolutley no way to know this. Why isnt venables more likely to be the next muschamp, derek mason, mark stoops, barry odom, or bret Bielema?

Simple. Venables has coaching experience at P5 schools. Norvell does not.

That being said, I wouldn't mind it at all if Norvell gets the job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

davril98

Maybe Venables doesn't want to be a head coach.

And when did Bill Self beg for the Ark job?  was that about the same time we turned down Gruden?

OkieBack

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am
Brent Venables needs to be at he top of the list. Arkansas has needed a new identity on Defense for a decade. Venables can provide the smash mouth defense we need. He has successfully ran defenses that have beaten teams like Texas, Auburn, South Carolina and Alabama. He has studied unet Snyder, Stoops and Dabo. The coaching pedigree is off the charts and he recruits in the south and Texas. This would be a game changer.

Absolutely agree 100%.  If we don't get Venables, somebody else will.  He knows how to recruit, he knows defense, and he has lots of coaching friends who know how to run an exciting offense and score points. Plus he would unite the fan base tremendously.  I think Arkansas would be a great home for Venables if he would have any interest.

GuvHog

Quote from: davril98 on November 17, 2017, 11:58:08 am
Maybe Venables doesn't want to be a head coach.

And when did Bill Self beg for the Ark job?  was that about the same time we turned down Gruden?

Venables applied for the Job when Long hired CBB so yes, he wants the job.

Bill Self tried to get the Head basketball Hog job after Nolan was terminated but John White would not allow Frank to hire him.

ipigsooie

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 11:56:24 am
Simple. Venables has coaching experience at P5 schools. Norvell does not.

That being said, I wouldn't mind it at all if Norvell gets the job.

Wrong. Check again

ipigsooie

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am
Brent Venables needs to be at he top of the list. Arkansas has needed a new identity on Defense for a decade. Venables can provide the smash mouth defense we need. He has successfully ran defenses that have beaten teams like Texas, Auburn, South Carolina and Alabama. He has studied unet Snyder, Stoops and Dabo. The coaching pedigree is off the charts and he recruits in the south and Texas. This would be a game changer.

Awesome. He recruits Texas? Out of 113 players on their roster Clemson has 1 from Texas. It has been a long time since he was at okie.  Not sure id call 1 out if 113 a strong tie to recruiting texas.

GuvHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 17, 2017, 12:05:54 pm
Wrong. Check again

I don't consider Pittsburgh and Arizona state to be quality P5 programs but I see your point. Now you compare Norvell's coaching resume' to Venables coaching resume'.

ipigsooie

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 12:16:43 pm
I don't consider Pittsburgh and Arizona state to be quality P5 programs but I see your point. Now you compare Norvell's coaching resume' to Venables coaching resume'.

16-6 vs 0-0

davril98

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 12:02:25 pm
Venables applied for the Job when Long hired CBB so yes, he wants the job.

Bill Self tried to get the Head basketball Hog job after Nolan was terminated but John White would not allow Frank to hire him.

Wow, didn't know we could've had Self.

AnthroHog

Quote from: goodguytex on November 15, 2017, 03:36:05 pm
A friend of mine pointed out a big knock against Norvell is he hasn't picked wisely for assistants. Much like Muschamp did at Florida. But muschamp learned from his stint at Florida and has done much better at South Carolina. Would Norvell do better if hired at Arkansas? Impossible to know.

Thought it would be interesting to see Norvell's assistants and where they coached prior to Memphis.  The majority coached with him at Arizona State.

His Offensive Coordinator his first season, Chip Long, was hired at Notre Dame last season to be their Offensive Coordinator.  Chip Long was a Graduate Assistant here under Petrino.

His current Offensive Coordinator, Darrell Dickey, was Running Backs coach his first season at Memphis and has been at Memphis since 2012.

His Quarterback coach, Kenny Dillingham, was a Graduate Assistant at Memphis in his first season and promoted to fulltime assistant.

His Wide Receiver coach, David Johnson, was Wide Receiver coach of Tulane and prior to that a high school coach in New Orleans.

His Offensive Line coach, Ryan Silverfield, was an assistant Offensive Line coach for the Detroit Lions.  Prior to that he was an Arizona State Offensive Analyst.

His Defensive Coordinator, Chris Ball, was Arizona State's Defensive Coordinator prior to Memphis.

His Special Teams Coordinator & Outside Linebackers Coach, Joe Lorig, was a Safeties and Linebackers at Utah State.  Prior to that he was Special Teams Coordinator at Arizona State. 

His Inside Linebackers/Recruiting Coordinator, Dan Lanning, was an Alabama Graduate Assistant.  He was on-campus recruiting coordinator/defensive assistant for Arizona State.

His Defensive Line coach, Paul Randolph, was an assistant at Arizona State and served as their co-Defensive Coordinator from 2012 through 2014.  He was with Norvell at Pittsburgh and Tulsa as well.

His Defensive Backs coach, Marcus Woodson, was Defensive Backs coach at Fresno State.

His Strength and Conditioning Coach, Josh Storms, was at Arizona State as its Sports Performance Assistant Head Coach.

I looked up USA Today's football assistant salary database from 2016 and his highest paid assistant, Chris Ball, made $15,000 less than what Kurt Anderson gets from Arkansas.  Memphis assistant total pay was $2,149,500 and Arkansas' was $3,893,100. 

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

It would be interesting to see what kind of staff he could put together with more money at his disposal.

OkieBack

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 17, 2017, 12:12:05 pm
Awesome. He recruits Texas? Out of 113 players on their roster Clemson has 1 from Texas. It has been a long time since he was at okie.  Not sure id call 1 out if 113 a strong tie to recruiting texas.

True, the Clemson roster doesn't have many Texans this year, but Texas isn't the end all.  Its just a huge recruiting ground in Arkansas' back yard that can be crucial to maintaining overall talent superiority.  If you want a coach who can recruit the South (and I mean ALL of the South) plus bring in assistants who have Texas ties and can pull in that talent...you got a helluva resource in Venables to build up the Hogs.  But if anyone has any doubts on Venables' ties to quality coaches who can create allot of excitement on the field...look back at all these prior posts.  The quality names that Venables could bring to Fayetteville are amazing.  Gus is a great coach too and I don't mean to offend his supporters, but Venables has the momentum and connections to get it done in a huge, huge way at Arkansas.   

ipigsooie

Quote from: OkieBack on November 17, 2017, 12:43:58 pm
True, the Clemson roster doesn't have many Texans this year, but Texas isn't the end all.  Its just a huge recruiting ground in Arkansas' back yard that can be crucial to maintaining overall talent superiority.  If you want a coach who can recruit the South (and I mean ALL of the South) plus bring in assistants who have Texas ties and can pull in that talent...you got a helluva resource in Venables to build up the Hogs.  But if anyone has any doubts on Venables' ties to quality coaches who can create allot of excitement on the field...look back at all these prior posts.  The quality names that Venables could bring to Fayetteville are amazing.  Gus is a great coach too and I don't mean to offend his supporters, but Venables has the momentum and connections to get it done in a huge, huge way at Arkansas.   

I'm not a gus supporter but i do prefer an offensive minded coach. Just my opinion though

OkieBack

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 17, 2017, 12:49:42 pm
I'm not a gus supporter but i do prefer an offensive minded coach. Just my opinion though

Hey, I hear ya.  The last thing I want is an non-innovative, uninspiring 2 yards-at-a-time offense.  And if it were any other defensive coordinator I would say "no".  But if Venables became head coach he is going to bring some help with him in assistants and he will run what he has known.  I don't think you can call OU's or Clemson's offenses boring.  That's what Venables knows from an offensive perspective and is fully aware of what BP recruited and was able to do in his four years at Arkansas.  OU fans took notice during the Petrino years. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: GuvHog on November 14, 2017, 11:55:04 am
He's been #1 on my list for some time now with Norvell at #2.

I wish I'd hear mention of Alabama's Jeremy Pruitt. He's going to be a heckuva head coach and is young and recruits like all heck.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: OkieBack on November 17, 2017, 12:43:58 pm

Clemson doesn't need to recruit Texas. Arkansas does. Oklahoma does. Venables recruited the heck out of Texas. He gets it. I'm with you (and Brent over most of the names I've heard).
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

davril98

Hey Jim, Dave Turner here.

Anybody know how other Saban coordinators have fared as HC? 

RazorbacksFTW

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 01:17:24 pm
I wish I'd hear mention of Alabama's Jeremy Pruitt. He's going to be a heckuva head coach and is young and recruits like all heck.

I just hope we end up with a good up and comer and not some supposedly good proven coach that in reality couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.
We went the proven HC route which worked the first time but ended badly and the second one has been a disaster and we were stuck with him for five years while he made tons of money running the program into the ground.

If Pruitt,Venables,Norvell or any up and comer like them is chosen I'll be happy with it.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 01:18:25 pm
Clemson doesn't need to recruit Texas. Arkansas does. Oklahoma does. Venables recruited the heck out of Texas. He gets it. I'm with you (and Brent over most of the names I've heard).

This. We've spent way too many resources on recruiting Florida and Georgia when Texas and Louisiana are in our backyard with all the talent we need to win in the SEC. Whoever our coach is needs to fill his staff out accordingly, but Venables has plenty of experience in Texas from his OU days.

Clemson and Auburn are getting top classes recruiting their back yard. We need to focus on ours.

Muskliketusk

He's a coke head that's gotta have a GA hold him back on the sideline. He ain't the kinda guy to be the face of a program.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

Jim Harris

Quote from: davril98 on November 17, 2017, 01:20:46 pm
Hey Jim, Dave Turner here.

Anybody know how other Saban coordinators have fared as HC? 

Kirby's doing OK. Muschamp is doing OK now. McElwain flopped in the big air of Florida.

I like Pruitt because he was star on the rise at Florida State and was solid at Georgia before Saban scooped him up, and his recruiting reputation is great (though he's been recruiting to three of the easier programs with which to recruit). I would really hope for a solid proven head coach first.

Spektre

Quote from: TexHog188 on November 17, 2017, 11:21:11 am
Was Kingsbury fired from tt.

Not yet, but there have been rumblings of his seat getting warm. If he does get the boot, he is who I would want as OC for almost any HC we get.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: davril98 on November 17, 2017, 12:31:23 pm
Wow, didn't know we could've had Self.

Yeah makes you wanna throw up doesnt it. Ive been trying to forget it for 17 years.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 01:50:25 pm
I don't like defensive coaches as head coaches.  They tend to play conservative.  Arkansas can no longer play conservative football.  Bob Stoops was one of the exceptions in that he turned into a river boat gambler.

Not with the right OC!

Hogindasticks

ChicoHog

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 17, 2017, 11:48:54 am
Let's see.  Muschamp?  Doing quite well at South Carolina and a really good recruiter.  Mason?  Struggling at Vandy.  Stoops?  Doing well at UK.  they are 7-3 and 2 plays away from being 9-1.  He is slowly making them relevant.  Odom?  Started out horrible this year but has it turned it around now and has a chance to make a bowl.  No one thought that after the first few weeks of the season.  Bielema?  We all know that isn't working.  So 2 of the 5 are doing well, one is doing ok and 2 are struggling with BB likely getting fired (deservedly so). 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 17, 2017, 03:30:12 pm
Kirby's doing OK. Muschamp is doing OK now. McElwain flopped in the big air of Florida.

I like Pruitt because he was star on the rise at Florida State and was solid at Georgia before Saban scooped him up, and his recruiting reputation is great (though he's been recruiting to three of the easier programs with which to recruit). I would really hope for a solid proven head coach first.

Dooley was terrible. Muschamp of course was terrible the first time around

redeye

I'd be thrilled with Venables.

Arkansas Fan

I'd take Venables. My only concern with some of you saying Sumlin or Kingsbury for OC is, both those guys would be looking for a HC job as soon as they could.

Other than that, it sounds like this John White guy really screwed Arkansas sports over if he really blocked the hiring's of Tubberville and Self for Nutt and Heath.

kingshogs22

Time for a defensive change, bring on Venables. Let him run this team like Saban with strong defense while letting your OC run a high powered offense.

ipigsooie

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 18, 2017, 02:37:33 pm
Time for a defensive change, bring on Venables. Let him run this team like Saban with strong defense while letting your OC run a high powered offense.

Lol. Yeah. It'd be just like Alabama!

OkieBack

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 18, 2017, 02:39:05 pm
Lol. Yeah. It'd be just like Alabama!

I doubt that.  You tend to run what you and your coaches know.  Every school Venables has been at has run some sort of spread (OU/Clemson).  I doubt Venables would opt for the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense as our current coach supposedly was to bring to the SEC.  Venables connections with offensive coordinators lean way more heavily toward a spread than smash mouth.  That is why I am perfectly ok hireing a DC like Venables.  He is smart enough to bring in the quality coaches and let them run their systems.