Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by kingshogs22, November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kingshogs22

Brent Venables needs to be at he top of the list. Arkansas has needed a new identity on Defense for a decade. Venables can provide the smash mouth defense we need. He has successfully ran defenses that have beaten teams like Texas, Auburn, South Carolina and Alabama. He has studied unet Snyder, Stoops and Dabo. The coaching pedigree is off the charts and he recruits in the south and Texas. This would be a game changer.

GuvHog

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am
Brent Venables needs to be at he top of the list. Arkansas has needed a new identity on Defense for a decade. Venables can provide the smash mouth defense we need. He has successfully ran defenses that have beaten teams like Texas, Auburn, South Carolina and Alabama. He has studied unet Snyder, Stoops and Dabo. The coaching pedigree is off the charts and he recruits in the south and Texas. This would be a game changer.

He's been #1 on my list for some time now with Norvell at #2.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pork Ranger

GuvHog

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 14, 2017, 11:57:24 am
Who ya bringing as his OC?

My guess is he would bring in someone like Josh Heupel.

kingshogs22

I would think from his days at OU who ran a very successful offense while he was there he can find someone like Hypel to run the offense. Like I said the Pedigree is there. With Venables we are guaranteed that our defense will be on point.

colbs

Torqued pork

Venables would be the guy if we go the coordinator route.  I don't think he would have any problem coming up with a good staff. I'm less confident about some of the young guns being mentioned.

Hawginj

One of my favorites he's a great recruiter, if we went coordinator route he's first in line in my opinion

kinghog

Brent Venables needs to be our # 1 choice not just our #1 choice if we hire a coordinator.  He has been a position coach, associate head coach and a defensive coordinator on 5 teams that have played in a national title game.  He as a long list of nominations and awards that include the Broyles Award and conference recruiter of the year.  The hiring of Venables has a chance to change the recruiting narrative at the U of A, he successfully recruits 4 and 5 start athletes and could kick some doors open that aren't right now.   

Dropkick

I think he would be an excellent hire. Bring him on!

PorkRinds

1091 will be in here shortly with a huge boner. So be careful.

Grizzlyfan

I don't like defensive coaches as head coaches.  They tend to play conservative.  Arkansas can no longer play conservative football.  Bob Stoops was one of the exceptions in that he turned into a river boat gambler.

GuvHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 01:50:25 pm
I don't like defensive coaches as head coaches.  They tend to play conservative.  Arkansas can no longer play conservative football.  Bob Stoops was one of the exceptions in that he turned into a river boat gambler.

The best head coach in the SEC (and likely the country) was a DC before he became a head coach.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 14, 2017, 02:02:07 pm
The best head coach in the SEC (and likely the country) was a DC before he became a head coach.
There is only one Alabama.  And we aren't even a close 10th.

Dropkick

Kirby Smart seems to be doing okay.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Dropkick on November 14, 2017, 02:03:46 pm
Kirby Smart seems to be doing okay.

Against crap teams.  Look what a good offensive coach did against him on Saturday. 40-17

GuvHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 14, 2017, 02:02:43 pm
There is only one Alabama.  And we aren't even a close 10th.

Agreed. I was just giving an example that DCs can make great HCs too.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 14, 2017, 01:04:38 pm
1091 will be in here shortly with a huge boner. So be careful.

Lol.

jackflash

if we have a opening Brent Venables is the best hire I think.

GoHogs1091

There is a 62 page thread over on a Tennessee message board of top 3 candidates, and a lot of Tennessee fans have Venables listed.

Regarding a possible potential Staff if Venables was hired here, I could see the following.

Brent Venables   Head Coach

Josh Heupel   Offensive Coordinator/QBs

Michael Smith   Wide Receivers (I could see Venables retaining Smith)

Barry Lunney, Jr.   Tight Ends (I could see Venables retaining Lunney, Jr.)

James Patton   Offensive Line   (Patton was an OL Coach at OU for 7 seasons while Venables was at OU)

Jim Leavitt   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers   (Leavitt was Venables' LB Coach when Venables played at Kansas State).

Marion Hobby   Defensive Line   (Hobby was the DEs Coach at Clemson and coached with Venables at Clemson from 2012-2016.  Hobby went back to coaching in the NFL, but perhaps Venables could get him to leave the NFL.  Hobby is an excellent Defensive Coach).

If Hobby will not leave the NFL, then perhaps Jim Jeffcoat would be interested in joining back up with Leavitt.  Jeffcoat and Leavitt coached together at Colorado.

http://www.cubuffs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1817&path=football

Mike Stoops   Secondary   (it is thought that this season will be Stoops' last season at OU.  His defensive coaching specialty is the Secondary).

Dropkick

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 14, 2017, 03:27:23 pm
There is a 62 page thread over on a Tennessee message board of top 3 candidates, and a lot of Tennessee fans have Venables listed.

Regarding a possible potential Staff if Venables was hired here, I could see the following.

James Patton   Offensive Line   (Patton was an OL Coach at OU for 7 seasons while Venables was at OU)

Jim Leavitt   Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers   (Leavitt was Venables' LB Coach when Venables played at Kansas State).

Marion Hobby   Defensive Line   (Hobby was the DEs Coach at Clemson and coached with Venables at Clemson from 2012-2016.  Hobby went back to coaching in the NFL, but perhaps Venables could get him to leave the NFL.  Hobby is an excellent Defensive Coach).

If Hobby will not leave the NFL, then perhaps Jim Jeffcoat would be interested in joining back up with Leavitt.  Jeffcoat and Leavitt coached together at Colorado.

Mike Stoops   Secondary   (it is thought that this season will be Stoops' last season at OU.  His defensive coaching specialty is the Secondary).

Is that a 10 gallon hat or are you just happy to see this thread?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dropkick on November 14, 2017, 03:41:26 pm
Is that a 10 gallon hat or are you just happy to see this thread?

SEC Offensive Coordinators would have trouble against Jim Leavitt, Marion Hobby/and or Jim Jeffcoat, and Mike Stoops.  For once, we would be actually playing high-level defense with actual high-level tackling and high-level Secondary coverage.

SEC Defensive Coordinators are having trouble right now against Josh Heupel.  Also, it should be remembered that Heupel has coordinated an Offense that has beat a Nick Saban Alabama Defense (when OU beat Saban in the Sugar Bowl).

BigK_HogHeaven

ChicoHog

I would be so stoked with Brent Venables. I think he is someone who can recruit numerous 4 star defensive players to Arkansas.  That is our number one need.  You can teach offense and get it done with an infinite number of good WRs and RBs that are available but you recruit defense and there are not enough defensive studs to go around.  We need our share. 

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 14, 2017, 03:27:23 pm

Kevin Sumlin was also an OC at OU when Venables was there. I don't think he coached QBs though.

WilsonHog

What is easier to attract to Arkansas in quantity - quality offensive players or quality defensive players?

HOGINTENNESSEE

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 14, 2017, 05:27:10 pm
Kevin Sumlin was also an OC at OU when Venables was there. I don't think he coached QBs though.

That thought has crossed my mind.  Surely though, Sumlin can get another head coaching job.  If he can't then he could be someone Venables would want as his OC.

Another is Kliff Kingsbury.  He may be out at Texas Tech soon.  Kingsbury is a good OC.  Texas A&M's offense hasn't been as good since he left A&M.

ChicoHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 14, 2017, 06:07:59 pm
That thought has crossed my mind.  Surely though, Sumlin can get another head coaching job.  If he can't then he could be someone Venables would want as his OC.

Another is Kliff Kingsbury.  He may be out at Texas Tech soon.  Kingsbury is a good OC.  Texas A&M's offense hasn't been as good since he left A&M.
They also had Johnny manziel.  I think that was more of a factor than Ryan gosling's twin brother. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 14, 2017, 05:30:26 pm
What is easier to attract to Arkansas in quantity - quality offensive players or quality defensive players?

I would say offensive pretty much everywhere except a few schools.  That's why we need a dynamic defensive recruiter.  Any average Joe can recruit the offensive guys.  Venables is someone who could recruit the defensive guys and have his OC work on the offense.

colbs

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 14, 2017, 05:30:26 pm

Offensive

kingshogs22

2016 Rivals recruiter of the year. Repeatedly has built championship defenses even when losing talent early to the NFL. Venables would be a bigger story than any of the mid major head coaches that have been mentioned. He is the only one who has repeatedly been in living rooms of 4 and 5 star athletes. Arkansas needs a defensive overhaul and he is just the guy to do it. Venables as our new coach moves the needle in the SEC and even though I don't believe Very much scares the likes of Gus and Saban I guarantee they would rather we hire a Norvell than a Venables.

The Boar War

I'm not against a Venables hire.  I do wonder how long it would take a good defensive coach to make this defense respectable.  Rhoads has a track record of being a good defensive coach and our d looks terrible.

imtad16

He seems like he could be good, but the thing that makes me a little nervous about him is that he has been a hot name coordinator for seemingly 15 years. I couldn't tell you why he hasn't been hired as an HC. It just seems weird that no one has hired him as an HC yet. It's like a nice looking house that has been on the market for too long. Just gives me pause.

ChicoHog

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 09:27:39 pm
2016 Rivals recruiter of the year. Repeatedly has built championship defenses even when losing talent early to the NFL. Venables would be a bigger story than any of the mid major head coaches that have been mentioned. He is the only one who has repeatedly been in living rooms of 4 and 5 star athletes. Arkansas needs a defensive overhaul and he is just the guy to do it. Venables as our new coach moves the needle in the SEC and even though I don't believe Very much scares the likes of Gus and Saban I guarantee they would rather we hire a Norvell than a Venables.
Couldn't have said it better myself.  He knows how to recruit the best players and sell a program. 

prattville pig

Quote from: kinghog on November 14, 2017, 12:59:38 pm
Brent Venables needs to be our # 1 choice not just our #1 choice if we hire a coordinator.  He has been a position coach, associate head coach and a defensive coordinator on 5 teams that have played in a national title game.  He as a long list of nominations and awards that include the Broyles Award and conference recruiter of the year.  The hiring of Venables has a chance to change the recruiting narrative at the U of A, he successfully recruits 4 and 5 start athletes and could kick some doors open that aren't right now.   
GoHogs1091?
Life's too short to last long.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am

I think Venables has already dismissed a few opportunities over the years. At some point he will most likely make a decision that he wants to become a HC. But why would a guy who has spent the majority of his career building defenses that were stocked with more highly ranked recruiting classes at Oklahoma and Clemson (the last 18 years), want to sign on to fight the battle of having to do more, with lesser recruiting classes? That is the challenge at Arkansas. If it were the Florida job and he had a great OC going with him, I could see it. If it were LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama or even Tennessee, I could see it happening. But at Arkansas? Nope.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 15, 2017, 05:38:38 am
I think Venables has already dismissed a few opportunities over the years. At some point he will most likely make a decision that he wants to become a HC. But why would a guy who has spent the majority of his career building defenses that were stocked with more highly ranked recruiting classes at Oklahoma and Clemson (the last 18 years), want to sign on to fight the battle of having to do more, with lesser recruiting classes? That is the challenge at Arkansas. If it were the Florida job and he had a great OC going with him, I could see it. If it were LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama or even Tennessee, I could see it happening. But at Arkansas? Nope.

Venables wanted the Arkansas HC job. He actually tried to get an interview to apply for it after Petrino was terminated but Jeff Long stupidly wouldn't even talk to him because Long was too busy writing letters to Bielema.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 06:11:38 am
Venables wanted the Arkansas HC job. He actually tried to get an interview to apply for it after Petrino was terminated but Jeff Long stupidly wouldn't even talk to him because Long was too busy writing letters to Bielema.

Allegedly.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 15, 2017, 06:21:33 am
Allegedly.

There's no "allegedly" about it. It's pretty well known that he wanted the job.

Hawginj

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 06:26:43 am
yea came out of his own mouth that he interviewed for it back in '12.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 06:26:43 am

Link it, please. I just don't remember.
Go Hogs Go!

Hugo Bezdek

The idea of Venables is growing on me, especially if he brings a Sumlin or Kingsbury with him as OC.

ThisTeetsTaken

Venables would be a good hire IMO.   He's been involved in a lot of championship level coaching staffs.  Learned/learning from some of the best in the business. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on November 15, 2017, 12:48:13 pm
Venables would be a good hire IMO.   He's been involved in a lot of championship level coaching staffs.  Learned/learning from some of the best in the business.

In my mind that's what's missing with Norvell, not that I'm against Norvell, but to me Venables is more of a proven commodity as a championship level DC than Norvell is with two years at Memphis. I think Venables is more likey to bring in an SEC caliber staff.

Dropkick

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 06:11:38 am

Venables did interview for our job in 2012.  The following is from the following article.

"Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

It looks like Venables is a candidate at Tennessee.  It may come down to Venables and Norvell at Tennessee.

https://www.diehards.com/clemson/clemson-brent-venables-tennessee

kingshogs22

Norvell has a chance to be the next Butch Jones, Mcelwain or Derek Dooley. Venables is more likely to be the next Bob Stoops, Kirby Smart of Jimbo Fisher. Which would you like to have more?

goodguytex

Venables and Campbell would be the top of my list. And should be the top of most people's.

goodguytex

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 15, 2017, 12:56:11 pm
In my mind that's what's missing with Norvell, not that I'm against Norvell, but to me Venables is more of a proven commodity as a championship level DC than Norvell is with two years at Memphis. I think Venables is more likey to bring in an SEC caliber staff.
A friend of mine pointed out a big knock against Norvell is he hasn't picked wisely for assistants. Much like Muschamp did at Florida. But muschamp learned from his stint at Florida and has done much better at South Carolina. Would Norvell do better if hired at Arkansas? Impossible to know.