Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by kingshogs22, November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

a0ashle

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:29:26 am
Venebles has nothing to do with that offense though... He is not the head coach managing both. He is absolutely a great defensive coach but I have no reason to believe he has the ability to bring a great defense and a great spread offense with him.

Again, my issue is simply recruiting talent. I do not believe Arkansas can get the defensive recruits necessary to consistently be a great defensive team, no matter who the coach is. It is easier to fit lesser recruits into a high flying offense than it is to fit lesser recruits into a great defense. That is the only reason I tend to lean toward an offense oriented coach as opposed to a defense oriented coach.

I disagree, there is more then one type of good defense. Go look at TCU, they put up a good defense with under recruited talent. I'm not talking about the type of defense that just whips you with talent like a Bama, I'm talking smart sound defense.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 09:33:59 am
It is still going to result in 7 or 8 wins a year on average. As someone pointed out Arkansas is not likely to ever recruit on a level with LSU/A&M/Bama/Aub so 4 teams a year that they have to play are going to get better players every year. They will have better starters and much deeper reserves than will the Hogs.

Talent is a huge factor, probably the biggest factor, but it's not the only factor. We need a great coach who can maximize the talent on our roster, and scheme around our deficiencies.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 27, 2017, 09:40:36 am
Talent is a huge factor, probably the biggest factor, but it's not the only factor. We need a great coach who can maximize the talent on our roster, and scheme around our deficiencies.

Which team will win more games, the team with better talent or the team with better scheme?

Talent is king. Again, you may out scheme better talent once or twice a season, but you will not win anything of import trying to do that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 09:44:32 am
Which team will win more games, the team with better talent or the team with better scheme?

Talent is king. Again, you may out scheme better talent once or twice a season, but you will not win anything of import trying to do that.

If that was true we would lose every time we played Texas or LSU. And they do have winning records against us. I'm not arguing against the need for talent. But superior talent doesn't always win. Coaching matters.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 27, 2017, 09:59:15 am
If that was true we would lose every time we played Texas or LSU. And they do have winning records against us. I'm not arguing against the need for talent. But superior talent doesn't always win. Coaching matters.

I said you might scheme around lack of talent once or twice a year. And never said coaching doesn't matter but as a plan trying to outscheme 4-6 teams a year isnt going to win anything.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 10:12:02 am
I said you might scheme around lack of talent once or twice a year. And never said coaching doesn't matter but as a plan trying to outscheme 4-6 teams a year isnt going to win anything.

Well then we should just go hire the next David Beaty and focus our resources on Basketball. Although I've heard you can't recruit to Fayetteville. Maybe we should just stick to Cross Country.

onebadrubi

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2017, 09:27:11 am
Going after Venables isn't going after a 10-3 game imo, it's avoiding 54-53 games.

Theoretically getting Venables means you should win 9 out of 10 games you score 35+ points in.  Sign me up. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:29:26 am
Venebles has nothing to do with that offense though... He is not the head coach managing both. He is absolutely a great defensive coach but I have no reason to believe he has the ability to bring a great defense and a great spread offense with him.

Again, my issue is simply recruiting talent. I do not believe Arkansas can get the defensive recruits necessary to consistently be a great defensive team, no matter who the coach is. It is easier to fit lesser recruits into a high flying offense than it is to fit lesser recruits into a great defense. That is the only reason I tend to lean toward an offense oriented coach as opposed to a defense oriented coach.

But by your theory, Norvell is going to bring the same defense he has at memphis with him, and that is not going to win games at Arkansas. 

Look, Venables has been around some really good OC minded guys.  They sit in the rooms, meetings, game plan together every week.  They pick each other brains.  He has worked around many good offensive guys and has seen first hand what it takes to win big from an offense.  I have no doubt he would target something similar to a power balanced spread attack. 

Arkansas can't out track meet the powerful spread offenses that 5 star NFL talent is knocking on there door.  We require some stops along the way to win. 

d3maybe

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 09:44:32 am

I agree, with all the technology these days schemes will be found out at some point probably sooner than later... you don't have to line up and try and go toe to toe with Bama either, but at some point you have to have the talent to go out and take what you need on the field to win.

d3maybe

We win 2 maybe 3 more games this year with a good defense... and while 7 wins isn't what any of us are after, I think considering the injuries and everything would could have stomached it... Last year with a good defense I think we win 3 more games easily and possibly 4, and while the 2015 defense ended great, if they started that way that team probably wins 3 more games... Venables can bring that kind of defense to Arkansas, he knows what it takes to put together an elite defense, he doesn't seem to accept anything less. So with a Venables defense you score above 30 points you should feel confident in winning the game most of the time.  How else can you survive in the SECW?

Muskliketusk

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 27, 2017, 05:08:53 am
Geography much?  He hasn't raided Texas since he's been at Clemson because he didn't need to.  The coaches in the Metroplex and Houston area have great relationships with him.  For your information East is on the right side of the map. His last four years at OU the Sooners were 10-3, 8-5, 12-2, and 12-2.  He left OU because he didn't want to be a co-coordinator with Stoop's brother again.  If you say they ran him off then you're the one who is making things up.
No one from Texas considers Dallas East Texas you dope. Keep crying for that cocaine fiend though. Glad he ain't even an option.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

NWASooner

1.  Venables would be a great hire.  Don't be silly and think defensive guys don't know offense.  All they do is watch tapes of offense all day.

2.  Vendables' schemes at OU were meh but he was and is a great recruiter.  The defensive talent dropped off considerably after he left.  I'm sure he still has numerous contacts in this region.

3.  He wasn't ran off at OU.  Clemson offered him double the salary to be their DC and he makes more there than a lot of HC's around the country.  That's why he hasn't really looked at lower tier jobs.

He'd be a great hire.

GuvHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 27, 2017, 10:23:23 am
But by your theory, Norvell is going to bring the same defense he has at memphis with him, and that is not going to win games at Arkansas. 

Look, Venables has been around some really good OC minded guys.  They sit in the rooms, meetings, game plan together every week.  They pick each other brains.  He has worked around many good offensive guys and has seen first hand what it takes to win big from an offense.  I have no doubt he would target something similar to a power balanced spread attack. 

Arkansas can't out track meet the powerful spread offenses that 5 star NFL talent is knocking on there door.  We require some stops along the way to win. 

It's been said that if Norvell is hired, he will bring in Todd Graham as the DC. He's a good one.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

SooieGeneris

Clemson has a DT who played DE last year, Wilkins who is being talked about as a top 15 pick in the NFL draft.

They have another D lineman who is very highly regarded and they have had a bunch of DBs drafted in the Swinney era.

Those kids get to go against elite WRs in practice every day like DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Williams, etc.

It will be hard to draw that type of talent here. When they went against Ohio State, they overwhelmed the Buckeyes like you very rarely see an OSU team manhandled.

Their talent is not quite 'Bama's but the gap is not huge as they played them right to the end both times finishing 1-1.

A coach who is used to elite talent to work with often can't handle doing more with less. And why has no other program hired him as a HC when he has been talked about for 10-15 years as a HC possibility?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

NWASooner

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 27, 2017, 08:10:44 pm
Clemson has a DT who played DE last year, Wilkins who is being talked about as a top 15 pick in the NFL draft.

They have another D lineman who is very highly regarded and they have had a bunch of DBs drafted in the Swinney era.

Those kids get to go against elite WRs in practice every day like DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Williams, etc.

It will be hard to draw that type of talent here. When they went against Ohio State, they overwhelmed the Buckeyes like you very rarely see an OSU team manhandled.

Their talent is not quite 'Bama's but the gap is not huge as they played them right to the end both times finishing 1-1.

A coach who is used to elite talent to work with often can't handle doing more with less. And why has no other program hired him as a HC when he has been talked about for 10-15 years as a HC possibility?

Because he makes more as a DC at Clemson than most of those jobs would pay.

DOGALUM

Quote from: GuvHog on November 27, 2017, 08:01:28 pm
It's been said that if Norvell is hired, he will bring in Todd Graham as the DC. He's a good one.
hes not that good....and "it's been said" by whom? 

I wish you would quit commenting.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

BR

SIAP:   His son is on a Full ride next year at Clemson, is supposed to enroll in December... A 3 Star Linebacker..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

#1 STUNNA

lol.. do people not realize he will not be abe to get the defensive recruits that are necessary to win in the sec.. he is able to be successful at clemson and oklahoma because of the monsters that signed to play for those school. The only monsters Arkansas produce are on the offensive side of the ball.

OkieBack

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 03:56:13 pm
lol.. do people not realize he will not be abe to get the defensive recruits that are necessary to win in the sec.. he is able to be successful at clemson and oklahoma because of the monsters that signed to play for those school. The only monsters Arkansas produce are on the offensive side of the ball.

Hold on, of the 23 ex-Arkansas players ESPN lists currently on an NFL roster at least 8 of them are defensive players.  If Arkansas can't recruit defensive players then where the heck did all of these guys come from? 

I get very tired of hearing people say "you can't recruit quality players to Arkansas."  B.S.  Petrino did it.  In 2011 with his "crappy" players he was beaten only by Bama and LSU who ended up playing for the NC.   Granted Petrino recruited offensive players but the list I'm looking at HAS Petrino defensive recruits too. Interesting I think...

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: OkieBack on November 28, 2017, 04:06:04 pm
Hold on, of the 23 ex-Arkansas players ESPN lists currently on an NFL roster at least 8 of them are defensive players.  If Arkansas can't recruit defensive players then where the heck did all of these guys come from? 

I get very tired of hearing people say "you can't recruit quality players to Arkansas."  B.S.  Petrino did it.  In 2011 with his "crappy" players he was beaten only by Bama and LSU who ended up playing for the NC.   Granted Petrino recruited offensive players but the list I'm looking at HAS Petrino defensive recruits too. Interesting I think...

Petrino developed players.. they werent elite out of high school. Since 2004 arkansas has signed 18 defensive players that could be considered elite coming out of high school. In the 7 years Venables was at  Oklahoma they had  38 of those guys. And in 6 years venables has been at  Clemson they have signed 39 of them guys. This is just on the defensive side of the ball.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 04:40:13 pm
Petrino developed players.. they werent elite out of high school. Since 2004 arkansas has signed 18 defensive players that could be considered elite coming out of high school. In the 7 years Venables was at  Oklahoma they had  38 of those guys. And in 6 years venables has been at  Clemson they have signed 39 of them guys. This is just on the defensive side of the ball. And since 2004 Arkansas has signed 38 4 star or above offensive playes.

hawgwild child

Quote from: d3maybe on November 27, 2017, 10:41:45 am
I agree, with all the technology these days schemes will be found out at some point probably sooner than later... you don't have to line up and try and go toe to toe with Bama either, but at some point you have to have the talent to go out and take what you need on the field to win.
I do and don't agree with that. Scheme on offense is not going to be found out. Offense is evolving everyday, just think even 5yrs ago. With the system of RPO's and some reads, I believe today's college football is an offensive game. Technique is being taught different on both of sides of ball.  Now I will say I believe to have an elite defense in college football, you need high caliber players.    With the schemes of offensive nowadays, you have to have eleite dbacks to play man coverage to combat the RPOs and stack the box. If you don't get that defensively your done

OkieBack

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 04:40:13 pm
Petrino developed players.. they werent elite out of high school. Since 2004 arkansas has signed 18 defensive players that could be considered elite coming out of high school. In the 7 years Venables was at  Oklahoma they had  38 of those guys. And in 6 years venables has been at  Clemson they have signed 39 of them guys. This is just on the defensive side of the ball.

Ok.  So you are saying Arkansas can't pull in half that number with a guy like Venables or that he couldn't develop them as well as Petrino did?  I don't buy it. 

Auburn and Clemson haven't always been on top.  You put the right coaches into place and it can happen.  Not overnight, but you are discounting the UofA when its been proven it can be done in Fayetteville.  May be not as consistently as a Top 5 program but I just don't put as much stock into player ratings out of high school.  Look at Texas.  You still gotta do something with those elite guys once they get there.  I'd prefer a bunch of 3 star players who develop into NFL prospects.  The more stars, the greater the entitlement mentality IMO.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: OkieBack on November 28, 2017, 04:58:37 pm
Ok.  So you are saying Arkansas can't pull in half that number with a guy like Venables or that he couldn't develop them as well as Petrino did?  I don't buy it. 

Auburn hasn't always been on top.  You put the right coaches into place and it can happen.  Not overnight, but you are discounting the UofA when its been proven it can be done in Fayetteville.  May be not as consistently as a Top 5 program but I just don't put as much stock into player ratings out of high school.  Look at Texas.  You still gotta do something with those elite guys once they get there.  I'd prefer a bunch of 3 star players who develop into NFL prospects.  The more stars, the greater the entitlement mentality IMO.

And if he cant pull in thos recruits? What if he cant develop 3 star players? one thing we know is he has been successful with elite talent.. one thing arkansas doesnt have is elite defensive talent.

Hugo Bezdek

Arkansas' geography isn't going to change relative to where all the talent is. Venables is a noted recruiter in the region of the country that we recruit, and has consistently fielded Top 10 defenses for two National Championship programs. Credentials don't get much better than that.

#1 STUNNA

arkansas best success is usually from strong in state classes. Just how it is and probably will always be. And usually those good instate classes are with offensive players.

OkieBack

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 05:06:50 pm
And if he cant pull in thos recruits? What if he cant develop 3 star players? one thing we know is he has been successful with elite talent.. one thing arkansas doesnt have is elite defensive talent.

That's why if Venables is hired he's not going to run the 3-yards-in-a-cloud-of-dust offense.  He will bring in coaches he knows who runs what you have seen at OU and Clemson over the past 15-20 years.  You coach what you know and a Venables assistant would know something comparable to that of the spread.

No doubt Arkansas can win 7, 8, may be 9 games with an offensive guru as HC.   But even Gus had to have a defense to beat Bama.  Same goes for Clemson.  You can't ignore defense no matter how badly you want to score 50 points a game.  I don't think scoring was our problem last week against Mizzou.  We just couldn't stop em. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 03:56:13 pm

Please tell me when Clemson really started getting these top recruiting classes. 

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: OkieBack on November 28, 2017, 05:21:56 pm
That's why if Venables is hired he's not going to run the 3-yards-in-a-cloud-of-dust offense.  He will bring in coaches he knows who runs what you have seen at OU and Clemson over the past 15-20 years.  You coach what you know and a Venables assistant would know something comparable to that of the spread.

No doubt Arkansas can win 7, 8, may be 9 games with an offensive guru as HC.   But even Gus had to have a defense to beat Bama.  Same goes for Clemson.  You can't ignore defense no matter how badly you want to score 50 points a game.  I don't think scoring was our problem last week against Mizzou.  We just couldn't stop em. 

Gus has elite talent... Clemson has elite talent... LSU has elite talent... Alabama has elite talent.. Arkansas does not have elite talent... No matter how good of a recruiter he is the big dogs are still gonna get their recruits over us. We have to lock the state down and pray for out of state talent. And he might steal a couple recruits but a couple does us hardly any good. We need someone that can develop 3 star players into 4/5 star players. So far Petrino is the only one as of lately to be able to do that.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 05:28:37 pm
Gus has elite talent... Clemson has elite talent... LSU has elite talent... Alabama has elite talent.. Arkansas does not have elite talent... No matter how good of a recruiter he is the big dogs are still gonna get their recruits over us. We have to lock the state down and pray for out of state talent. And he might steal a couple recruits but a couple does us hardly any good. We need someone that can develop 3 star players into 4/5 star players. So far Petrino is the only one as of lately to be able to do that.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. You seem to be saying you don't think we can win on The Hill no matter who the coach is.

hawgon

A defensive oriented coach will Not he successful at Arkansas.  It is that simple.

Paul

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 27, 2017, 10:23:23 am

don't you think Norvell will do anything to succeed as a head coach?  Don't you think he realizes that he has to have a good defense to succeed in the SEC?  Don't you think he'll avail himself of the money we have to hire a top notch DC & recruiter to optimize the defense.  I think all the coaches we are discussing want balance.  Norvell in his 1st stint as head coach optimized his limited talent to give him the best chance to win at Memphis & that was his offense, cuz that's what he knows best. 

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 28, 2017, 05:40:54 pm
I'm not sure what you're arguing. You seem to be saying you don't think we can win on The Hill no matter who the coach is.

Im saying i think all of you are out of your mind if you think we are all of a sudden gonna be able to recruit a wholde bunch of elite defensive players. Arkansas can recruit offensive players that are elite or can become elite. Thats what our state produces, which are the easiest kids to get. I think we are better off getting an offensive guru that can help win early. If im venables im going to Miss state over Arkansas.

Paul

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 28, 2017, 05:40:54 pm
no, I think Stunna is saying at Arkansas we have to have a developer of talent because we're likely never to see a top 10 recruiting class no matter how hard we try.  Bielema did as well as any of our previous coaches to get in on top recruits, came close but they turned us down for FL, LSU etc

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Paul on November 28, 2017, 05:49:30 pm
no, I think Stunna is saying at Arkansas we have to have a developer of talent because we're likely never to see a top 10 recruiting class no matter how hard we try.  Bielema did as well as any of our previous coaches to get in on top recruits, came close but they turned us down for FL, LSU etc

This.. our best shot at elite talent is the talent that Arkansas produces. We need to lock them down.. hope to steal a couple from other state.. and develop the rest. Alot easier to develop on the offensive side of the ball. We as arkansans should know this by now.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 05:46:23 pm
Im saying i think all of you are out of your mind if you think we are all of a sudden gonna be able to recruit a wholde bunch of elite defensive players. Arkansas can recruit offensive players that are elite or can become elite. Thats what our state produces, which are the easiest kids to get. I think we are better off getting an offensive guru that can help win early. If im venables im going to Miss state over Arkansas.

I really don't think it's that simple. A great defensive coach will need to bring in a strong OC, and a great offensive coach will need a strong DC. Both will need to get the best recruits they can get out of Arkansas and the surrounding states. From what I see Venables has a more proven track record as a DC against the highest level of competition than Norvell does as a Head Coach or an OC. He's also got higher potential to bring in an SEC-quality staff than Norvell because he comes from Championship level programs. He looks like the better candidate to me.

hogrocker

Venables is the best coach on our radar, including all names mentioned.

#1 STUNNA

Would be intersting to hear the story on how memphis was able to outbid some of the nations best last year for their 4* offensive tackle.

onebadrubi

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 05:28:37 pm

Lets remove the star system.  Lets do it backwards and say NFL'ers.  Petrino was succesful here because the in game management was above par and the game was not too fast for him along with he had some guys get to the NFL or have a cup of coffee (Adams for example). 

We actually had some momentum under Bielema moving the direction I think we need too.  He was locking the state down and pulling in some above average out of state players who very likely will get some shots in the NFL (Harris, Guidry for example).  Now we need someone who can take this, parlay that momentum into something more as well has show he can prepare during game week and the game isn't moving to fast for. 

Also, another thing people are overlooking that i really want to see.  I want to see someone who can change on the fly UNLIKE Bielema (like Petrino).  Example, Bielema if needed to go uptempo feels he needs to warn the friggin Refs, F THEM, they screw enough and can't do their jobs.  Bielema could not adjust one week going from a spread to the next going against a power team.  He could not adjust and make good use of the talent he has.  Petrino did this well, if he had an big arm pocket passing QB he could run an offense for him, if he had a scrambling mobile QB he can design an offense for him.  We have seen similar results out of Venables on the defensive side of the ball, he can stop power teams and he can slow down spread teams.  Can he build or empower someone to build an offense that can outscore a spread team that you will hold under 40 points? 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Paul on November 28, 2017, 05:46:00 pm
don't you think Norvell will do anything to succeed as a head coach?  Don't you think he realizes that he has to have a good defense to succeed in the SEC?  Don't you think he'll avail himself of the money we have to hire a top notch DC & recruiter to optimize the defense.  I think all the coaches we are discussing want balance.  Norvell in his 1st stint as head coach optimized his limited talent to give him the best chance to win at Memphis & that was his offense, cuz that's what he knows best.

Absolutely, I think he wants to be number one in the country and shut out everyone he plays.  I'm sorry his pedigree just doesn't have it there for me to make him my number one, however he is top 3-4 on my list and one that I would fully support being the HC at Arkansas. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 05:54:56 pm
Would be intersting to hear the story on how memphis was able to outbid some of the nations best last year for their 4* offensive tackle.

They asked for help from the basketball program?  haha I kid.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Paul on November 28, 2017, 05:49:30 pm

So go get the best in game coach you can find, one that can make adjustments and one that can coach!!!  One that has been around great coaches, been to the playoffs, been to multiple national championships under different people.  The big games aren't too big for him. 

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 28, 2017, 06:07:56 pm
So go get the best in game coach you can find, one that can make adjustments and one that can coach!!!  One that has been around great coaches, been to the playoffs, been to multiple national championships under different people.  The big games aren't too big for him.

You mean one that has elite talent... lol... won't be that easy with lesser talent.

RideTillIDieHawg

Art Briles would be a perfect fit, surprised we don't hear his name more.

hawgmasta

The only real concern I have about Venables is that if he gets hired he won't show our boy gohogs1091 some love. I think we should have a Twitter meltdown until the university puts gohogs on Venables public relation team. I'm dead ass serious.

onebadrubi

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 06:16:30 pm
You mean one that has elite talent... lol... won't be that easy with lesser talent.

A good coach can make a great run with a few elite players and a good support cast.  A really bad coach can have elite guys all over the place and screw it up (ala Les Miles).  Arkansas is privy to a few elite guys every few years just from within the state.  I believe you are either connected or very close to another one coming up as well. 

Believe it or not, I think this team has as many good or better talent for a new coach than I can remember.  It's better then when Petrino or Bielema took over.  We have some bodies at O line (still think Merrick and a few others were benched for dumb reasons or personal vandetta's), we have a few good looking QB's, stable of good RB's, some real good young talent at both WR and Te.  This isn't a place where a new coach is going to have to come in and find a play maker.   ON the defensive side, we have the best stable of DB's we have had that I can remember since our time in the SEC, we have a few good looking LB'ers, and Dline no one really knows right now but Agim and Guidry I think can be elite.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 28, 2017, 06:30:11 pm
A good coach can make a great run with a few elite players and a good support cast.  A really bad coach can have elite guys all over the place and screw it up (ala Les Miles).  Arkansas is privy to a few elite guys every few years just from within the state.  I believe you are either connected or very close to another one coming up as well. 

Believe it or not, I think this team has as many good or better talent for a new coach than I can remember.  It's better then when Petrino or Bielema took over.  We have some bodies at O line (still think Merrick and a few others were benched for dumb reasons or personal vandetta's), we have a few good looking QB's, stable of good RB's, some real good young talent at both WR and Te.  This isn't a place where a new coach is going to have to come in and find a play maker.   ON the defensive side, we have the best stable of DB's we have had that I can remember since our time in the SEC, we have a few good looking LB'ers, and Dline no one really knows right now but Agim and Guidry I think can be elite.
I agree with all of this. I just think it's alot easier to find elite offensive players than defensive players. Eespecially in Arkansas. At least history agrees with me. I think a offensive minded coach would be best for Arkansas, with the exception that he goes and gets a proven DC.

onebadrubi

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on November 28, 2017, 06:56:49 pm
I agree with all of this. I just think it's alot easier to find elite offensive players than defensive players. Eespecially in Arkansas. At least history agrees with me. I think a offensive minded coach would be best for Arkansas, with the exception that he goes and gets a proven DC.

You are correct that we have been blessed with more elite offensive talent than defensive.  But I could easily support that being the reason to put more focus on the defensive side, because we have a much better shot at having equivalent offensive talent.  That being said, neither really matters if they don't get a prove good DC to support the side of the ball they don't specialize in.

Look at Miss st this year.  They went out and got Graham and he did a really good job on the defensive side.  He made them much more competitive this year against the west. 

HogCzar1

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 15, 2017, 03:26:27 pm
Norvell has a chance to be the next Butch Jones, Mcelwain or Derek Dooley. Venables is more likely to be the next Bob Stoops, Kirby Smart of Jimbo Fisher. Which would you like to have more?

Venables may be a good head coach someday. Norvell is a very good head coach now. Not sure why the Norvell dislike.

#1 STUNNA

Let's think for a second... many defensive players have we had that could say start for anyone in the country... and then let's think about the offensive players we have had that could start for anyone in the country. Now who offensively have we had that could start for anyone in the country? Our elite athletes have always been on the offensive side of the ball.