Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brent Venables

Started by kingshogs22, November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 26, 2017, 07:56:58 am
Can he recruit Texas? That's all I need to know.......

He filled OU's roster with East Texas talent and has a solid relationships with Texs HS coaches. That's as big of a selling point as any.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

parallaxpig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 26, 2017, 08:03:26 am
He filled OU's roster with East Texas talent and has a solid relationships with Texs HS coaches. That's as big of a selling point as any.

If you look at any of my post you will see I have stated many times next coach has to have ability to recruit Texas. I think that's actually the most important aspect of next coach. That's been our history here and you only have to look over to Stillwater to see that strategy still works.........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 26, 2017, 08:08:43 am
If you look at any of my post you will see I have stated many times next coach has to have ability to recruit Texas. I think that's actually the most important aspect of next coach. That's been our history here and you only have to look over to Stillwater to see that strategy still works.........
Absolutely correct.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

onebadrubi

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 26, 2017, 08:08:43 am

I'm confused?  What is working in Stillwater?  They lost to anyone with a defense, gundy woukd t win 6-7 in the SEC W. 

I'm a venables supporter however

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 14, 2017, 11:53:09 am
Brent Venables needs to be at he top of the list. Arkansas has needed a new identity on Defense for a decade. Venables can provide the smash mouth defense we need. He has successfully ran defenses that have beaten teams like Texas, Auburn, South Carolina and Alabama. He has studied unet Snyder, Stoops and Dabo. The coaching pedigree is off the charts and he recruits in the south and Texas. This would be a game changer.
I think Venables is the most likely to take the job. Why? Because all of the other names being bandied about either will not be offered or will go elsewhere that they perceive is better opportunity that is Arkansas for them.

Forget about getting Leach, Malzahn, Morris, Norvell, Kiffin, or Patterson. We are still Arkansas and we have been a dumpster fire for 6 consecutive years.

Regarding Malzahn, the only way to even have a chance at getting him would be a 10 year contract for $10 million per year? Does anybody think Arkansas would do that, even if they could afford to? I do not.

Venables will likely be the next head coach. We need a defensive oriented head coach anyway. Even if we continue to lose in the SEC, maybe we will not continue to experience 56-3 embarrassments and being outscored in the 2nd half 2,000 to 20 over the entire season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 26, 2017, 10:24:35 am
I think Venables is the most likely to take the job. Why? Because all of the other names being bandied about either will not be offered or will go elsewhere that they perceive is better opportunity that is Arkansas for them.

Forget about getting Leach, Malzahn, Morris, Norvell, Kiffin, or Patterson. We are still Arkansas and we have been a dumpster fire for 6 consecutive years.

Regarding Malzahn, the only way to even have a chance at getting him would be a 10 year contract for $10 million per year? Does anybody think Arkansas would do that, even if they could afford to? I do not.

Venables will likely be the next head coach. We need a defensive oriented head coach anyway. Even if we continue to lose in the SEC, maybe we will not continue to experience 56-3 embarrassments and being outscored in the 2nd half 2,000 to 20 over the entire season.

I don't care if he's our first choice but would be thrilled if he were our final one. I like Venables better than just about everyone that's been mentioned. It bothers me that we're not hearing his name from our "insiders" on the board here.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 26, 2017, 10:35:32 am
I don't care if he's our first choice but would be thrilled if he were our final one. I like Venables better than just about everyone that's been mentioned. It bothers me that we're not hearing his name from our "insiders" on the board here.
Take comfort in the fact that the insiders haven't been right about a hire for years.

TebowHater

For anyone whose only concern is his lack of HC experience, please see this thread:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=649079.0

It should not be a worry.

HognotinMemphis

As for insider knowledge, did anyone tell you Bielema was going to be hired before it was announced 6 years ago?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

farmhawg

Last time I will say this and probably get blasted......but we don't need a defensive coach. We need an offensive genius,only way we can win big here.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 26, 2017, 10:59:32 am
As for insider knowledge, did anyone tell you Bielema was going to be hired before it was announced 6 years ago?

Lol. No, that was Gruden.

onebadrubi

Quote from: farmhawg on November 26, 2017, 11:02:37 am
Last time I will say this and probably get blasted......but we don't need a defensive coach. We need an offensive genius,only way we can win big here.

Please name the last offensive genius that won with out a top defense

nwahogs

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 26, 2017, 11:14:06 am
Please name the last offensive genius that won with out a top defense

Mike martz

parallaxpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 26, 2017, 09:22:43 am
I'm confused?  What is working in Stillwater?  They lost to anyone with a defense, gundy woukd t win 6-7 in the SEC W. 

I'm a venables supporter however

They have won 10 games 3 out 5 years. If that isn't good enough for you then I can't help you.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

DOGALUM

Venables would be a home run hire IMO. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Gonzo

Last time I will say this and probably get blasted......but we don’t need a defensive coach. We need an offensive genius,only way we can win big here.

What's the difference between a good HC who is from the defensive side and hires a good OC, and a good HC from the offensive side who hires a good DC? None really imo. A team is going to need good leadership on both sides to be successful in the SEC.

Go Hogs!

a0ashle

Quote from: DOGALUM on November 26, 2017, 02:55:27 pm
Venables would be a home run hire IMO.

If we get him, I'll eat my crow and love every bite.

GoldCoastHog

Would love for him to get some traction. Someone is going to pull the trigger on him, because it's his time; he's ready.
Not sure what arrangements could be made with him and his obligations during the playoffs with regard to the new recruiting period, but I have a feeling something  could be cobbled together.

ChicoHog

Wrong.  If it's a defensive coach like Venables he will hire a good OC.  It's an offensive coach like Norvell or Kiffin he will hire a good DC.  More importantly it's about getting good players here and I think all 3 of those guys can recruit and bring us the talent we need to be competitive every week. 

bulldog04

oldhawg

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 26, 2017, 10:59:32 am

Seems like I recall one poster, can't remember who, that offered Bielema's name a few days before it was announced.  Everyone politely ignored the post.  Probably was just a shot in the dark anyway.

Muskliketusk

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on November 26, 2017, 08:03:26 am
Unless Dallas is East Texas he sure wasn't getting much East Texas talent to OU so that ain't true and there ain't one defensive player from TX at Clemson so he just gonna kill it in a state he ain't recruited in 6 years. Some of y'all love making crap up. Can't wait to hear about the great defenses he had at OU when they ran him out of town for being awful his last few years there.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Muskliketusk on November 26, 2017, 11:43:47 pm
Unless Dallas is East Texas he sure wasn't getting much East Texas talent to OU so that ain't true and there ain't one defensive player from TX at Clemson so he just gonna kill it in a state he ain't recruited in 6 years. Some of y'all love making crap up. Can't wait to hear about the great defenses he had at OU when they ran him out of town for being awful his last few years there.
Well Dallas sure isn't West Texas just saying

FANONTHEHILL

November 27, 2017, 05:08:53 am #173 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:45:15 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: Muskliketusk on November 26, 2017, 11:43:47 pm
Geography much?  He hasn't raided Texas since he's been at Clemson because he didn't need to.  The coaches in the Metroplex and Houston area have great relationships with him.  For your information East is on the right side of the map. His last four years at OU the Sooners were 10-3, 8-5, 12-2, and 12-2.  He left OU because he didn't want to be a co-coordinator with Stoop's brother again.  If you say they ran him off then you're the one who is making things up.

Broadway Rob

Quote from: oldhawg on November 26, 2017, 09:04:29 pm

Seems like I recall one poster, can't remember who, that offered Bielema's name a few days before it was announced.  Everyone politely ignored the post.  Probably was just a shot in the dark anyway.

If memory serves, the post went something like "Go get Bielema from Wisconsin".  It was a suggestion and not an insider leak.
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 26, 2017, 06:53:45 pm
Wrong.  If it's a defensive coach like Venables he will hire a good OC.  It's an offensive coach like Norvell or Kiffin he will hire a good DC.  More importantly it's about getting good players here and I think all 3 of those guys can recruit and bring us the talent we need to be competitive every week.

In defense of FarmHog, we just had a "defensive" coach.  It's hard to believe, but BB's background is defense.

That said, I don't think it really matters if we have a defensive guy or an offensive guy. As long as they can recruit and know how to coach. I'd be pumped if we hired BV

Torqued pork

Personally, I've gotten very tired of seeing every quality opponent we play go through our defense like paper. Maybe all of the people who say we can't recruit well enough to have a good defense and prefer a gunslinger for a HC are correct, but I just can't see us winning much more than we've been winning without a quality defense. This puts Venables near if not on top of my list.

Dominicanhog

From the start, I thought we needed a defensive minded coach, but not sure one without HC experience is right for us.. ....that said, I'd buy in immediately after the announcement....

a0ashle

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 27, 2017, 07:12:01 am
From the start, I thought we needed a defensive minded coach, but not sure one without HC experience is right for us.. ....that said, I'd buy in immediately after the announcement....

He's been a DC for two championship head coaches, that has to count for something. I think he's a better gamble then Kirby Smart was...

mitchforheisman

His record as DC at Oklahoma and Clemson is 199-44. I'm on board.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: mitchforheisman on November 27, 2017, 08:11:17 am
His record as DC at Oklahoma and Clemson is 199-44. I'm on board.

That includes wins over Saban, Malzahn, and Fisher, the guys we need to beat to win the SEC.

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

jgphillips3

If we go coordinator, I think Venables may be the best DC to head coach candidate since Bob Stoops went to Oklahoma.  I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep over that hire because I think he could recruit anybody, anywhere, any time and bump us from mid-twenties recruiting to the teens within a year or two and, if he got an innovative, but compatible, OC then we may be on our way.

d3maybe

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 27, 2017, 08:48:20 am
If we go coordinator, I think Venables may be the best DC to head coach candidate since Bob Stoops went to Oklahoma.  I wouldn't lose one minute of sleep over that hire because I think he could recruit anybody, anywhere, any time and bump us from mid-twenties recruiting to the teens within a year or two and, if he got an innovative, but compatible, OC then we may be on our way.

Couldn't agree more, but I'm a bit nervous he would want to coach out the remainder of the season with Clemson... If we get a signed contract with that stipulation could that work? I'm afraid that would be difficult, although I really would love Coach V as the Head Hog, I think he fits perfect.

Pig in the Pokey

I'd actually say there are far more good OCs than good DCs out there.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SONofHAM on November 27, 2017, 08:43:07 am
https://twitter.com/barrettsallee/status/934879088044539904

Sallee sees Brent as a front runner
well, I guess we dont even have to make up a new nickname if things go bad. It'll be Bert2.0
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 27, 2017, 06:50:49 am
Personally, I've gotten very tired of seeing every quality opponent we play go through our defense like paper. Maybe all of the people who say we can't recruit well enough to have a good defense and prefer a gunslinger for a HC are correct, but I just can't see us winning much more than we've been winning without a quality defense. This puts Venables near if not on top of my list.

Last Fri was a perfect example. At no point in that game did I think the Hogs were going to be able to stop Mizzu from scoring enough to win, no matter what that total ended up being.

We do not need a defensive minded coach, we need a coach that can recruit defenders SEC QUALITY defenders. Just like they need to be able to recruit SEC QUALITY offensive players. It does not matter who they get to coach, if they can not figure out how to get SEC talent AND depth of talent, the program will continue to be what it has been in the sec for 26 years. A program that has to have it all fall just right to even have a chance to win the secw.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 27, 2017, 08:48:20 am
true. BV and LK are the best recruiters on our list.

d3maybe

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 08:56:50 am
Last Fri was a perfect example. At no point in that game did I think the Hogs were going to be able to stop Mizzu from scoring enough to win, no matter what that total ended up being.

We do not need a defensive minded coach, we need a coach that can recruit defenders SEC QUALITY defenders. Just like they need to be able to recruit SEC QUALITY offensive players. It does not matter who they get to coach, if they can not figure out how to get SEC talent AND depth of talent, the program will continue to be what it has been in the sec for 26 years. A program that has to have it all fall just right to even have a chance to win the secw.

We don't need a defensive minded coach but he needs to be able to recruit great defenders??? Huh?

Brass Knob

But Arkansas will never consistently recruit to likes of Alabama and LSU. We will basically never out talent those schools. Thus, you have to have coaches that can develop schemes to beat the more talented team. It just seems easier to create offensive schemes and score points with less talent than it does to create defensive schemes that stop points with less talent.

I would feel much better going into a game with a great offense and sub par defense knowing we need 35+ points to win than going into a game with a great defense and sub par offense knowing we need to hold the other team to sub 20 points.

The offensive approach at Arkansas seems more piratical and more achievable.

I look at a team like Michigan paying a ton to Harbaugh (sp?) who is a defense oriented coach but has almost no offense. If they give up 21+ in any given game they are in trouble...   

a0ashle

I know CBB was a defensive guy as a DC and player, but as a head coach he was known for the style of offense he brought to the table... I don't buy the "CBB was a defensive coach so we need an offensive coach" chatter

HogFaninMemphis

I love the idea of Venables. Would retaining Enos be insane? He's not a Bielema guy, and I actually did like his offenses, just not the offensive line play.
Perhaps we could retain him, get an offensive line coach who would be on the same page with him, and maybe find an all-star offensive recruiter. I don't have much worry about Venables fielding a defensive staff, because that's his thing.
Thoughts?
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

a0ashle

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:21:33 am
But Arkansas will never consistently recruit to likes of Alabama and LSU. We will basically never out talent those schools. Thus, you have to have coaches that can develop schemes to beat the more talented team. It just seems easier to create offensive schemes and score points with less talent than it does to create defensive schemes that stop points with less talent.

I would feel much better going into a game with a great offense and sub par defense knowing we need 35+ points to win than going into a game with a great defense and sub par offense knowing we need to hold the other team to sub 20 points.

I look at a team like Michigan paying a ton to Harbaugh (sp?) who is a defense oriented coach but has almost no offense. If they give up 21+ in any given game they are in trouble... 

Venables has coached great defense with high flying offenses. OCs who can coach the spread are a dime a dozen now.

A coach who can have a good defense with a spread offense is rare.

hogsanity

Quote from: d3maybe on November 27, 2017, 09:18:08 am
We don't need a defensive minded coach but he needs to be able to recruit great defenders??? Huh?

My point is regardless of what the coach is seen as ( defensive/offensive ) the key to their success is going to be how well they can recruit to both sides of the ball. IF Venables were the coach, and he recruited a monster defense, but only soso on offense, he is still going to plateau here at about 8 wins on average.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

a0ashle

Going after Venables isn't going after a 10-3 game imo, it's avoiding 54-53 games.

hogsanity

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:21:33 am

Arkansas just lost a game where it scored 45 pts. They lost a game in 2015 where they scored 50. IF your defense is like a sieve you can never score enough points.

This idea that you can scheme around a lack of talent is ludicrous. Maybe for one game, maybe even for 2, but eventually people see what you are doing and the teams with better players figure out how to stop you.

Brass Knob

Quote from: a0ashle on November 27, 2017, 09:24:10 am
Venables has coached great defense with high flying offenses. OCs who can coach the spread are a dime a dozen now.

A coach who can have a good defense with a spread offense is rare.

Venebles has nothing to do with that offense though... He is not the head coach managing both. He is absolutely a great defensive coach but I have no reason to believe he has the ability to bring a great defense and a great spread offense with him.

Again, my issue is simply recruiting talent. I do not believe Arkansas can get the defensive recruits necessary to consistently be a great defensive team, no matter who the coach is. It is easier to fit lesser recruits into a high flying offense than it is to fit lesser recruits into a great defense. That is the only reason I tend to lean toward an offense oriented coach as opposed to a defense oriented coach.

Brass Knob

Quote from: hogsanity on November 27, 2017, 09:28:24 am
Arkansas just lost a game where it scored 45 pts. They lost a game in 2015 where they scored 50. IF your defense is like a sieve you can never score enough points.

This idea that you can scheme around a lack of talent is ludicrous. Maybe for one game, maybe even for 2, but eventually people see what you are doing and the teams with better players figure out how to stop you.

I would not point to this years team as an example of anything... It is not about just giving up on defense completely. It is simply which can be more consistent at Arkansas, a great offense or a great defense? I believe that is a great offense because of our recruiting handicap. It is easier to plug lower ranked recruits into an offensive scheme than a defensive scheme.

The Hawg Marshal

If we go the coordinator route, he's the guy.

hogsanity

Quote from: Brass Knob on November 27, 2017, 09:31:40 am
I would not point to this years team as an example of anything... It is not about just giving up on defense completely. It is simply which can be more consistent at Arkansas, a great offense or a great defense? I believe that is a great offense because of our recruiting handicap. It is easier to plug lower ranked recruits into an offensive scheme than a defensive scheme.

It is still going to result in 7 or 8 wins a year on average. As someone pointed out Arkansas is not likely to ever recruit on a level with LSU/A&M/Bama/Aub so 4 teams a year that they have to play are going to get better players every year. They will have better starters and much deeper reserves than will the Hogs.