Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Lowest 54 hole scores to par, U.S. Open history:

14 under - Rory McIlroy, Congressional, 2011

12 under - Brian Harman, Erin Hills, 2017

11 under - Justin Thomas, Erin Hills, 2017
11 under - Brooks Koepka, Erin Hills, 2017
11 under - Tommy Fleetwood, Erin Hills, 2017

Again, the second place score after 54 holes at Congressional in 2011 was 6 under.

EastexHawg

Quote from: GolfNut57 on June 17, 2017, 08:11:56 pm
GoHog1091 is this you? Did you hack into EastexHawg's acct?

No, I just pay attention.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 17, 2017, 08:38:58 pm

Again, the second place score after 54 holes at Congressional in 2011 was 6 under.

Girl Morgan had it -12 at Pebble in 82?? -3 won he tournament. I guess you and Gohog can get all excited about returning to Chambers Bay some day. All 156 golfers had the opportunity to play the same course, the winner will still be the U.S. Open champion.

GoHogs1091

The following was posted by someone over on Golfwrx about this "regular Tour stop score fest" U.S. Open.

"This is easily the most entertaining Greater Milwaukee Open I've ever seen."

Here is a stat that puts this garbage we are seeing this week into perspective.

From 1895-2016: 6 players reached -10 at any point in a U.S. Open.

5 players reached double digits on Saturday.

If any good comes out of this year's faux U.S. Open, hopefully it will be the impetus to get the U.S.G.A. to finally do something about the golf ball.  The golf ball needs to be reigned in.  Jack Nicklaus has been saying this for around 10 years. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 17, 2017, 08:38:58 pm

The winner of the US Open will have a lower score than Berger had at the FedEx tournament.  This tournament has been a huge disappointment to me.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

GoHogs1091

Merion (East Course)  2013    6,996 yards    0 players finished under Par.  The U.S.G.A even set Merion (East Course) at 6,869 yards for Round 4.  It also rained a ton that week.

Erin Hills   2017   7,741 yards   Currently 5 players at double digit under Par.

Someone needs to get fired at the U.S.G.A. for this week's attempt at a U.S. Open.  Wide fairways, and then the U.S.G.A. was out there cutting away fescue.  There doesn't need to be any more U.S. Opens conducted on overrated novelties such as Erin Hills.

Dillar Dog

I have a whole box of Kleenex here.  That going to be enough for you crybabies?

I'll get more.  Let me know.

Boarcephus

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 17, 2017, 09:09:23 pm
Merion (East Course)  2013    6,996 yards    0 players finished under Par.  The U.S.G.A even set Merion (East Course) at 6,869 yards for Round 4.  It also rained a ton that week.

Erin Hills   2017   7,741 yards   Currently 5 players at double digit under Par.

Someone needs to get fired at the U.S.G.A. for this week's attempt at a U.S. Open.  Wide fairways, and then the U.S.G.A. was out there cutting away fescue.  There doesn't need to be any more U.S. Opens conducted on overrated novelties such as Erin Hills.

This tournament isn't any different than any other regular PGA event other than the name.  It's not interesting to me to see these guys shoot 15 under par and win. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dillar Dog

Yeah.  Chicks dig bogies.

No one likes birdies.  Good call.

*hands boar a tissue*

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 17, 2017, 09:21:46 pm
I have a whole box of Kleenex here.  That going to be enough for you crybabies?

I'll get more.  Let me know.

If I was playing complaining that the course is too hard would be "crying".  Realizing that this is by far the easiest U.S. Open ever played, at least through three rounds, and finding it less than compelling viewing is merely being observant and having an opinion.

Dr. Starcs

Add johnny miller to the list of criers.

What a baby.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: EastexHawg on June 17, 2017, 10:17:03 pm
If I was playing complaining that the course is too hard would be "crying".  Realizing that this is by far the easiest U.S. Open ever played, at least through three rounds, and finding it less than compelling viewing is merely being observant and having an opinion.

*Kleenex to eastex*

It's ok little fella.  Momma will get that diaper changed.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 17, 2017, 10:25:16 pm
Add johnny miller to the list of criers.

What a baby.

Miller is right.  All 63s are not created equal.  Miller has acknowledged though that Thomas' 63 is good, just not the same as doing it at Oakmont.

Miller can talk all that he wants.  Only 2 of the current Tour players have an iron game that is somewhat close to what Miller's iron game was back then, those 2 being Rose and Matsuyama, and even those 2 don't have quite as good of an iron game as was Miller's.

Miller also wasn't using a massive headed Driver with a huge sweet spot like what the current Tour players are using.

Dr. Starcs

Don't worry. Millers head is massive enough.

I don't expect anything else from him, but compare that to basically any other great players whose records have been tied or broken. Pretty classless response from him imo.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 17, 2017, 10:43:47 pm
Miller is right.  All 63s are not created equal.  Miller has acknowledged though that Thomas' 63 is good, just not the same as doing it at Oakmont.

Miller can talk all that he wants.  Only 2 of the current Tour players have an iron game that is somewhat close to what Miller's iron game was back then, those 2 being Rose and Matsuyama, and even those 2 don't have quite as good of an iron game as was Miller's.

Miller also wasn't using a massive headed Driver with a huge sweet spot like what the current Tour players are using.

Aawwwww.  Another wittle baby.  Does baby need a bottle?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 17, 2017, 10:51:29 pm
Aawwwww.  Another wittle baby.  Does baby need a bottle?

At least there will be 2 good major championship venues next year.  Those 2 being Shinnecock Hills and Carnoustie (Championship Course).

It will be interesting to see how these bomb-and-gouge robots try to navigate and try to get out of the fairway bunkers at Carnoustie (Championship Course).

Dillar Dog

Your wittle nose needs wiped. 

ricepig

Hmm, let's see......all the top players entered, scores are lower on average, top guys can't cut it, terrible tournament. I'll be playing it in late July, I'm guessing a 62-63 then........

Boarcephus

Article in the paper this morning said that in the 116 previous US Opens only 6 players had ever reached -10 or better and there are 5 in this tournament alone. This is not any different than any other tour event but the winner will claim a major.

hogbud

Wind cranking today - should be fun to watch.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 18, 2017, 10:03:24 am
Yes, indeed.  With so many players so close to the lead, a lot of players are still in contention.  About time mother nature stopped by. 

Which was the norm, just think if the USGA had killed this course like Chambers Bay, +20 would win.

hogbud

There's no carnage...lots of good rounds today

Dr. Starcs

Dillar Dog

Hawg414

Bet the US Open won't be back at Erin Hills anytime soon.
Lamest one I can remember watching

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hawg414 on June 19, 2017, 01:43:43 am

Yeah, but all the chicks tuned in because they heard there were so many birdies.  They put the tournament on the scoreboard over at the university and college girls were climbing over each other, punching, and pulling hair to get closer so they could watch golf.

Dillar Dog

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 19, 2017, 10:40:52 am
Or maybe it was Brooks. 

That was just the college chicks.  Junior high girls created a bandwidth traffic jam live streaming Rickie.

Dillar Dog

Boarcephus

The US Open has always stood out to me but this one was not any different than the other 30 or 40 events they have  every year outside the Masters and the British Open.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 17, 2017, 09:29:37 pm
Yeah.  Chicks dig bogies.

No one likes birdies.  Good call.

*hands boar a tissue*

I hate all the hate because Koepka played his balls off and won a major. All you're hearing about is how easy the course was. Dude couldn't miss.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on June 20, 2017, 09:00:14 am
I hate all the hate because Koepka played his balls off and won a major. All you're hearing about is how easy the course was. Dude couldn't miss.

Yeah.  It's like everyone's feelings are hurt because a few guys played as well as they possibly could.

"Waaaa!  These guys keep hitting great shots!  Waaaaaa!  Momma!  They're playing too good!"

GoHogs1091

It garnered the 2nd worst t.v. ratings ever for a U.S. Open. 

Garbage venue  =  mediocre tournament and terrible ratings.

Dillar Dog

I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the most popular players struggling and/or missing the cut on that easy course.

Go back to your silly little wannabe course architect forum.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Dillar Dog on June 20, 2017, 01:29:18 pm
I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the most popular players struggling and/or missing the cut on that easy course.

Go back to your silly little wannabe course architect forum.

Those 3 players (Johnson, McIlroy, and Day) hadn't been playing well leading into the tournament.  Fans already had a decreased interest in those 3 for this tournament due to their sub-par play leading into it.

It was a poor selection of a venue.  When the public course in Milwaukee (Brown Deer Park) where The Greater Milwaukee Open was held in the past is a better course than what got selected for a "major," then it should be apparent that the U.S.G.A.'s selection of Erin Hills was a poor selection.

Dillar Dog

Of course.  Is that what they're saying over in your fantasy designer forum?

You nerds are worse than yelpers that actually believe they're food critics.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 20, 2017, 01:26:08 pm
It garnered the 2nd worst t.v. ratings ever for a U.S. Open. 

Garbage venue  =  mediocre tournament and terrible ratings.

I think the fact that Fox now broadcasts the USGA events, specifically the US Open, doesn't help the ratings either.  People just don't associate Fox with golf and their broadcasts to date have been pounded pretty hard by critics.  Most folks automatically go to CBS or NBC for weekend golf because they are reliable, known commodities.

On an unrelated note, because of where I was I did not see a single shot the entire tournament.  Kept up online and listening to XM.  Sounds like I didn't miss much. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 20, 2017, 03:38:51 pm
Fox also seemed to scrimp on on course reporting too.  I don't mind that each network seems to have its own way of covering major events, but Fox's coverage added little to what was happening on the course and did suffer from too many commercials and fluff pieces.

Really??  And Furyk wasn't even in contention!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 20, 2017, 03:38:51 pm
Since we haven't really discussed it in this thread yet, the Fox broadcast itself seemed to rely far too much on ball tracking graphics from a fixed point of view from behind the golfer.  I can appreciate some use of the ball tracker, but Fox uses it way too much instead of opting for other camera angles. 

As far as the commentary, once again Fox has way too many people in the booth.  Over time, Curtis Strange, Paul Azinger and Brad Faxon seemed to become one voice - and a repetitive one at that.  I hate to say it this way, but these three made me appreciate Johnny Miller much more. 

Fox also seemed to scrimp on on course reporting too.  I don't mind that each network seems to have its own way of covering major events, but Fox's coverage added little to what was happening on the course and did suffer from too many commercials and fluff pieces.   

More Holly, less Joe.

PonderinHog

Dillar Doggin' y'all pretty bad.    Carry on...

GolfNut57

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 20, 2017, 02:49:52 pm
I think the fact that Fox now broadcasts the USGA events, specifically the US Open, doesn't help the ratings either.  People just don't associate Fox with golf and their broadcasts to date have been pounded pretty hard by critics.  Most folks automatically go to CBS or NBC for weekend golf because they are reliable, known commodities.

On an unrelated note, because of where I was I did not see a single shot the entire tournament.  Kept up online and listening to XM.  Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Plus it is likely people are sick of listening to Joe Buck. He is overused by Fox for their baseball game already, then it is football games and now golf?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on June 20, 2017, 08:10:04 pm
More Holly, less Joe.

More Holly skin......less Holly clothes........ :D
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.